home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-14-2022, 09:18 AM   #1
shhhhs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW g82 M4 Competition xDrive

Question - Start engine in Sport / Sport Plus Mode

Hi guys - Hope everyone is starting the year strong and safe.

Quick question. Can we start the engine while Engine setting is in Sport or Sport Plus mode? Does that do any harm to the engine? I really enjoy the sound when it's in sport plus mode but not sure if I will cause any damage.

Thank you for your help!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 09:51 AM   #2
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
I'm still under the 1,200 mile mark and my startup routine begins with hitting M1 which puts everything into Sport setting and then start the car.

Shouldn't cause any damage so long as you still wait for the car to warm up before you go redlining it.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 2
GixY2K515.00
shhhhs13.50
      01-15-2022, 03:07 PM   #3
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
You can for sure. Single button press without starting the car. Then put in sports plus (M mode other other method) and then start the car.
      01-19-2022, 02:21 PM   #4
shhhhs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW g82 M4 Competition xDrive

Thank you chicagofan00 and ChrisM2 !
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0018923.00
      08-31-2023, 01:44 PM   #5
J_Supplanter
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp xDr

Garage List
chicagofan00 & ChrisM3, what about when starting from afar (triple pressing lock button and via mybmw app)? I used bimmercode to code this via basic mode (as opposed to expert mode which I understand to be quite literally only for experts), yet still the default start mode is comfort. Therefore, I've only ever heard it start in sport modes while in the vehicle. I typically always start it before I get in so it has a chance to warm up. I want it to start from afar in a sport mode with those exhaust valves open. Could buy a valve controller but this thing is a computer in wheels. Should be codable!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 02:11 PM   #6
AlfonsM
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e, BMW M3 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Supplanter View Post
chicagofan00 & ChrisM3, what about when starting from afar (triple pressing lock button and via mybmw app)? I used bimmercode to code this via basic mode (as opposed to expert mode which I understand to be quite literally only for experts), yet still the default start mode is comfort. Therefore, I've only ever heard it start in sport modes while in the vehicle. I typically always start it before I get in so it has a chance to warm up. I want it to start from afar in a sport mode with those exhaust valves open. Could buy a valve controller but this thing is a computer in wheels. Should be codable!
Is this a US-version thing or can we europeans also start our EU-version without entering the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 02:20 PM   #7
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
I'm confused on how you coded this. The coding method of sport mode vs comfort mode doesn't apply to the Ms since there's no modes like that, it's all individually controlled modes for each component of the car. AFAIK there's no way to code starting up in M1/M2 unless you know something I don't.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 02:51 PM   #8
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
The remote start will start the car in Comfort mode. No way to get around that so long as I understand it.

I had a valve controller setup to always keep the exhaust flaps 100% open so even doing remote start the cold start sounded damn good.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 03:43 PM   #9
evidence
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

So only way to remote start with valves open would be with a valve controller starting in open, or a custom tune, you can tune the valve tables in comfort. I really like that I can go into comfort and have quiet exhaust for longer freeway travel though, personally wouldn't want to lose that.

For a normal start you can just hit your M button to put it in sport to get the initial loud cold start, but a valve controller or tune can keep it loud after the cold start logic finishes. BM3 fixed the valve setting you can use on OTS maps a few months back, can set basically full open in sport mode.

On the original question, really nbd to start in sport, just means the exhaust valves will be open.
Appreciate 0