home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-07-2022, 12:52 PM   #1
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

Dct to zf...is it a big difference

I had a f82 dct. Really enjoyed the sporty snappy feel.
Anyone here went from dct to zf auto? Is it really noticeable and a let down?

Reviews online appear to go from one end of the spectrum, as quick as dct others say it's a let down and really delayed.

Trying to decide if I should go back to MT.
Only downside is the mt in traffic is a pain.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 02:14 PM   #2
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

Yes go to manual 😀
Appreciate 3
pz6193278.50
      01-07-2022, 03:04 PM   #3
corbs09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

It is noticeably different, but not in a terrible way. It shifts as fast, just not as "aggressive". With that said you will feel a difference. I have owned both 6mt g82 and a comp g80 with the zf, the auto is definitely the way to go in this car for a daily driver in my opinion. The power band suits the auto well.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 04:32 PM   #4
sleepy75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

I don’t think so.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 03:41 AM   #5
kbanga
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C | G80 M3C | E24 635CSi

Not really lol. The ZF is a lot more daily driver friendly while sacrificing a little bit of that rawness of a DCT. No complaints from me.
      01-09-2022, 07:10 PM   #6
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Went from a DCT GT-R to the ZF and I personally love the ZF. Less noisy, smother and slightly faster shifts. They could've told me it was a DCT and believe it.

What I see being the one problem that seems to be inherent to the DCT is the engagement of 1st gear from a dead spot; it was rough on my GTR and it's rough on the boss' GLA45AMG. With auto, the trany always engage via the torque converter.

Last edited by GixY2K; 05-14-2022 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
Seandale520.00
      01-09-2022, 11:53 PM   #7
wj100
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Supra 3.0

To me, the DCT was absolutely one of the best things about my E90 and F82. The ZF in the G80 is the main reason I haven't pulled the trigger on an order. I've only had limited seat time in the G8x platform but the loss of DCT zapped all the drama out of the transmission. For some people that's fine as they appreciate the smoothness of the ZF... But for me, it's a huge step back in the fun factor department. And M cars are supposed to be fun, right? Again, just my $.02 and I know some disagree.
Appreciate 6
      01-10-2022, 12:16 AM   #8
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
I just got a g80 m3 comp and have had 4 m3 dcts before it. Plus 4 PDKs.

The zf is actually pretty dam good. I agree that dct is a little more fun. The harshness was what made me love it. But the ZF is such a better transmission. It's auto mode is flawless. It just shifts like you were driving it manually IMO.

Manual mode is plenty fast. I don't find it slower than DCT. I feel like people are totally exaggerating that. Mine shifts as fast as I ask it too.

I miss double pull back = neutral.
I miss how you could quick rev the engine before the DCT would kick in and move you.
I miss the break your neck shifts.

But the G8X m's are so much more car than the f series m cars. They are like two completely different cars to me. The zf is a much better choice in this car. I loved it in the f90 m5 too.

I'm a die hard 6mt guy who shifted to DCT. But still loved 6MT. And I also thought I was going to hate the ZF. But i actuality like it a lot.

I do wish they would allow both paddles pulled back to quick shift you into neutral. But that's about the only bummer thought I have about it.
JovanUK141.50
SaMaster144434.00
PLF693766.00
LuckyBrand1300.50
superbrew134.00
      01-10-2022, 12:38 AM   #9
GGG333
m
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post

The zf is actually pretty dam good. I agree that dct is a little more fun. The harshness was what made me love it. But the ZF is such a better transmission. It's auto mode is flawless. It just shifts like you were driving it manually IMO.

Manual mode is plenty fast. I don't find it slower than DCT. I feel like people are totally exaggerating that. Mine shifts as fast as I ask it too.

I miss how you could quick rev the engine before the DCT would kick in and move you.

But the G8X m's are so much more car than the f series m cars. They are like two completely different cars to me. The zf is a much better choice in this car. I loved it in the f90 m5 too.

I'm a die hard 6mt guy who shifted to DCT. But still loved 6MT. And I also thought I was going to hate the ZF. But i actuality like it a lot.

I do wish they would allow both paddles pulled back to quick shift you into neutral. But that's about the only bummer thought I have about it.
Oh man reading about the quick revs while in drive before it kicks in being gone just honestly killed my mood
Mine is a week 3
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 06:57 PM   #10
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK__LA View Post
Oh man reading about the quick revs while in drive before it kicks in being gone just honestly killed my mood
Mine is a week 3
That was a very cool feature being able to "blip" the throttle before it starts moving. I will miss that.

But, the G8X is SO much more car. You will appreciate the ZF and how it works for the G8X. It keeps traction to the ground so much better than the F8X DCT. We all know the F8X DCT was wild and dangerous. lol.

You are not getting a classic feeling auto by any stretch. And I love DCT and PDK. This auto is the best Ive ever had. You will be happy!!!
      01-10-2022, 07:36 PM   #11
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

It shifts pretty aggressive with the traction turned down significantly.

Excellent transmission.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 08:24 PM   #12
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

I love the ZF transmission and how smooth it shifts. I'm probably one of the few that didn't want a M3 because of DCT or manual. I like how you are able to hold the - shift paddle so it kicks down to best gear for passing. Also this thing pulls like a freight train.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 11:53 AM   #13
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

I drove a G80ZF M3, and to be honest around town it was a better daily. In performance driving the DCT I thought was better. The upshifts and downshifts had more authority and seem literally telepathic. This was on a F82 M4 and it wasn't even in the most aggressive mode for the DCT.

I have no dog in this fight as I am a manual guy.
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 12:18 PM   #14
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Here's my take...I have a G80 M3 (6MT) and ended up driving an M4 Comp as I wanted to see if I could tolerate it in my upcoming M3 Xdrive order since I had a 2019 M5 Comp and really disliked the ZF8. Overall, I felt it was a step up over the ZF in the M5C and was pretty good. I never thought DCT was all that great personally especially if you've driven, or like me, owned a PDK car. PDK is still the standard by good margin for dual clutch transmissions all around.
I do think the ZF8 works well in the G80 but have grown to really like the 6MT, however, in this regard it is still a long way off the manual in my 718 GT4.

Last edited by HeelToeShift; 01-11-2022 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 10:52 PM   #15
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Mine is a week 3
Hey! I have some kind of good news for you. Today at a red light I was able to blip my throttle and it not move!

It WASN'T much. But it did baby blip the throttle without taking off. It was nothing like DCT's massive 1-2K rpm blip-ability before moving. But I probably got 500rpm out of it before it was going to kick in and move. Not much. But better than any other normal automatic that would just lunge forward. Just thought I would share that with you. I loved that part of DCT. I also loved how DCT would do a wild clutch drop if you just SMASH the gas as fast as you could.

When I first got my F80 M3, my brother wanted to see what it could do. I smashed the gas from a dead stop so fast it enguaged "burn out mode" and man, we just roasted the tires and went nowhere...lol. From that point on, I always rolled into my throttle when taking off aggressively in my F80.
      01-13-2022, 11:04 PM   #16
GGG333
m
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Mine is a week 3
Hey! I have some kind of good news for you. Today at a red light I was able to blip my throttle and it not move!

It WASN'T much. But it did baby blip the throttle without taking off. It was nothing like DCT's massive 1-2K rpm blip-ability before moving. But I probably got 500rpm out of it before it was going to kick in and move. Not much. But better than any other normal automatic that would just lunge forward. Just thought I would share that with you. I loved that part of DCT. I also loved how DCT would do a wild clutch drop if you just SMASH the gas as fast as you could.

When I first got my F80 M3, my brother wanted to see what it could do. I smashed the gas from a dead stop so fast it enguaged "burn out mode" and man, we just roasted the tires and went nowhere...lol. From that point on, I always rolled into my throttle when taking off aggressively in my F80.
Ah that's why I love my F82.
Everything you mentioned are some of the best parts of this car and most won't ever understand.

F82 is a refined German muscle car with a fuck you pay me personality especially if you drive on M mode with full traction off.
I'm going to miss that so much , what a shame.

But thank you for the update !
I'm truly hoping that perhaps BM3 will release some sort of tranny tune which will make it more aggressive.
Appreciate 1
cobra2814112.00
      01-14-2022, 02:45 PM   #17
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Mine is a week 3

Everything you mentioned are some of the best parts of this car and most won't ever understand.

F82 is a refined German muscle car with a fuck you pay me personality especially if you drive on M mode with full traction off.

I'm truly hoping that perhaps BM3 will release some sort of tranny tune which will make it more aggressive.
I can't wait for bootmod3! That was the best tune experience when I had my f80. I ran the CS tune. Love it!
      01-14-2022, 03:03 PM   #18
GGG333
m
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Mine is a week 3

I can't wait for bootmod3! That was the best tune experience when I had my f80. I ran the CS tune. Love it!
I ran a reg 91oct stage 1 tune and it was phenomenal.
Along with the GTS transmission tune.

This time I'm hoping they will have something juicy for stage 2 as I'm going to add catless DP's.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 12:51 PM   #19
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:

First, sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead; I felt it easier to revive here versus starting a new thread with my question (below) and being shown the "search" button...

I've had an F8x since 2015 (and a DCT in my 2011 335is before that) and have never known about this "pull '+' and '-' at the same time and the car goes into neutral" trick!! Will have to try it (still likely have a couple of months until my car gets here... currently on the way to the port).

I understand that the upshifts are just as fast, but there's not as much (1) jerkiness (good thing) or "punch" on upshifts (bad thing/reduced "fun factor), but my biggest question is on the downshifts...

I definitely enjoy being able to - especially on the highway when cruising - be in 6th or 7th gear, quickly tap the downshift paddle, and automatically (in one step, not two) shift down two gears.

I drove a relative's X3 M40i (earlier model, I think 2019, before the LCI and small hp bump), which I understand has the same/similar transmission (although I understand the transmission on the M is tuned). Upshifts honestly felt great in "sport" (it will take some getting used to having an extra gear, but I anticipate this will be a good thing), but I did try the "double downshift" and it was quite slow to react. The digital dash cluster did show a downshift from e.g., 5th to 3rd instantaneously, but there was a noticeable two-step downshift on the rev counter (you see the 'blip' from 5 to 4, a split second idle, and then the second 'blip' from 4 to 3).

Thoughts on this? Maybe I just need to pay more attention when in manual mode and time my downshifts so that I'm not in a position to need to "double" downshift an expect it instantaneously.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 08:28 PM   #20
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Quote:

First, sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead; I felt it easier to revive here versus starting a new thread with my question (below) and being shown the "search" button...

I've had an F8x since 2015 (and a DCT in my 2011 335is before that) and have never known about this "pull '+' and '-' at the same time and the car goes into neutral" trick!! Will have to try it (still likely have a couple of months until my car gets here... currently on the way to the port).

I understand that the upshifts are just as fast, but there's not as much (1) jerkiness (good thing) or "punch" on upshifts (bad thing/reduced "fun factor), but my biggest question is on the downshifts...

I definitely enjoy being able to - especially on the highway when cruising - be in 6th or 7th gear, quickly tap the downshift paddle, and automatically (in one step, not two) shift down two gears.

I drove a relative's X3 M40i (earlier model, I think 2019, before the LCI and small hp bump), which I understand has the same/similar transmission (although I understand the transmission on the M is tuned). Upshifts honestly felt great in "sport" (it will take some getting used to having an extra gear, but I anticipate this will be a good thing), but I did try the "double downshift" and it was quite slow to react. The digital dash cluster did show a downshift from e.g., 5th to 3rd instantaneously, but there was a noticeable two-step downshift on the rev counter (you see the 'blip' from 5 to 4, a split second idle, and then the second 'blip' from 4 to 3).

Thoughts on this? Maybe I just need to pay more attention when in manual mode and time my downshifts so that I'm not in a position to need to "double" downshift an expect it instantaneously.
You hold in the left paddle in and it drops to the lowest possible gear
SaMaster144434.00
      05-12-2022, 08:36 PM   #21
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Quote:

You hold in the left paddle in and it drops to the lowest possible gear
This makes sense - similar to the "kickdown" - but I anticipate there is some lag to get there?

In the dct, if I'm driving along and double pull the down paddle, it will drop two gears as if it were dropping down one (I.e., instantaneously). My assumption was that you cannot do this in a torque converter auto. (For example, I may not want to shoot into redline and drop 3 or 4 gears by hitting the kickdown/holding the paddle, but rather get into the 3k-4k rpm range by dropping down two gears when I'm cruising at 1500/2000rpm).
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 02:09 PM   #22
Kminor2578
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabmw View Post
I had a f82 dct. Really enjoyed the sporty snappy feel.
Anyone here went from dct to zf auto? Is it really noticeable and a let down?

Reviews online appear to go from one end of the spectrum, as quick as dct others say it's a let down and really delayed.

Trying to decide if I should go back to MT.
Only downside is the mt in traffic is a pain.

I deff feel hesitation on the up shifts at WOT at high RPMs. I'm not the only one to think the same thing. It's certainly not as much of a neck breaker as the DCT, but it still very very fast
Appreciate 1