BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

10-13-2020, 02:28 PM   #23
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptiv.M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCHEM83 View Post
Hmmm practically the same thing. I could purchase it over 6 years for the same as leasing 3 yrs with those numbers....the only difference would be a little more for the interest. I would need to check with my dealer because they offer a discount on new cars for M-Gruppe members, which I am currently a part of, and see if those terms apply to either lease or purchase and see where the numbers are most favorable.

GM
Why why why ever purchase? The flexibility leasing gives you is awesome- something happens to the car on a finance and YOU eat the depreciation. I don’t see why financing is ever a better idea anymore, especially on a new model that will have an updated LCI in 3 years
It does give you benefits if you want to switch every few years. But if you buy a car each generation or longer, it makes more sense financing.

Also, leasing is a little more complicated than just financing, so I certainly see the appeal.
      10-13-2020, 08:13 PM   #24
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

I don't know.. for me leasing vs buying went like this when I first got into BMW]

financed a 328i - daily drove it for a couple years before I wanted to get into something sportier.. looked at a 135i, all said and done I had to take 2-3 grand additional out of pocket to combat being upside down.

bought the 135i, enjoyed it for a year before some assclown damaged the car parked outside while I was on vacation - ended up having to repaint the QP -- car then had some electrical issues in the bodyshop and it literally was never the same. I wanted to get rid of the car so bad I was willing to roll like 5k negative equity into a f30 335i lease, which was my first BMW lease.

On the 335i, 6 months out from having to return the car someone side swiped me - I had to fight insurance for OEM parts, found a good body shop and the car was never really 100% the same.. the fact I knew I could get rid of the car in six months and come out clean since it was repaired by a BMW body shop was sooo nice and comforting.

I gave back the 335i and got into my 18 m3 comp. I leased this car with the intention of keeping it, kept it low miles and now basically 2.5 years later I can make an informed decision on should I keep my low mileage f80 with no accident/damage or jump into the g80..

leasing just enables you to have no baggage, unless you want to switch cars within a year -- especially on a 80+k, not to mention one of the cool things about leasing is you can lease a 100k car but only have the payments you're responsible for the term of the lease be listed as the balance on your credit as opposed to the full amount - that's another good advantage over financing. Try to buy a 2nd house with 90k car loan - can be difficult. Not to mention to make it even somewhat affordable you're looking at a 6 year finance.. 6 years @ 1100+ payments, so much can happen in those six years and if you have to get rid of the car early, you're back looking at the depreciation figures, trading it in @ a loss, etc.
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2020, 05:56 AM   #25
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

leasing generally makes sense if you are gonna change cars frequently and esp in US where residuals on many German brands are very generous (i.e. high residual low payments) and yes it does guarantee the depreciation you pay so if anything or anyone damages the car you are not gonna be underwater ... This would be the wisdom unless talking brands like Porsche in Canada or specific cases like WRX STI where cars barely depreciate but lease economics look no better than Toyotas...

In Canada at least I often found lease interest rates to be higher than financing, whether manufacturer provided or self source, and that makes sense given the extra risk on guaranteed depreciation the leasing company is taking on. Outside extreme cases like Porsche, 200bps of rate savings is min. hurdle rate for one to consider financing vs leasing.

For the crowd that says its waste of money and paying the steepest depreciation curve.. well those folks wouldn't buy new cars anyways because of it... and for the drive to the ground crowd, generally wouldn't do that in a 90k M3 lol
      10-14-2020, 12:14 PM   #26
GMCHEM83
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Why why why ever purchase? The flexibility leasing gives you is awesome- something happens to the car on a finance and YOU eat the depreciation. I don’t see why financing is ever a better idea anymore, especially on a new model that will have an updated LCI in 3 years
I did read your second post after this one and that brings to mind my habit of switching out cars far more often that most folks I know. I think the romance of hanging on to a car forever is more of an idea than reality. This G8X looks amazing, it is pure eye candy (I saw it in person yesterday) but it is an $80K 3-series that shares the same engine as other BMW suvs. There is nothing special about it, aside from its chassis/looks. If after 3 years I want to keep it for a really long time, then I can buy it after the lease. Maybe it'll be the last ICE-powered manual M3, then it would be worth hanging on to. Like you said, though, life happens, things change and 6+ years of $1,100 payments is a tough pill to swallow once the "magic" has worn off.

GM
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      10-14-2020, 01:04 PM   #27
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Quote:
I did read your second post after this one and that brings to mind my habit of switching out cars far more often that most folks I know. I think the romance of hanging on to a car forever is more of an idea than reality. This G8X looks amazing, it is pure eye candy (I saw it in person yesterday) but it is an $80K 3-series that shares the same engine as other BMW suvs. There is nothing special about it, aside from its chassis/looks. If after 3 years I want to keep it for a really long time, then I can buy it after the lease. Maybe it'll be the last ICE-powered manual M3, then it would be worth hanging on to. Like you said, though, life happens, things change and 6+ years of $1,100 payments is a tough pill to swallow once the "magic" has worn off.

GM
Very good points however, isn't it usually more expensive to buy out after a lease due to the inflated residues? I always understood it as you knowing what you will do from the beginning with BMWs.

Also, I do like the idea of keeping certain cars for a long time. I always envy the guys/gals who owned a E30 M3 since new. Back then, the E30 was also not considered special, or just had special as a typical M product. I bought a M2C for that intent, to drive it forever and pass it down. I'm still debating the buy vs lease option of the M3. We shall see...
      10-14-2020, 07:56 PM   #28
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

If this is the car I will purchase, I will finance. Only leased once and never owned a new BMW. I always bought CPO and for once considering new. I am selling my 7 series tomorrow and will put down 25%. My biggest factor will be if my SA will work out a discount. Never owned a M car so I plan to keep it for a while and it may be my last ICE car
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 08:44 PM   #29
JPM-3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, 2022 Supra, 2023 RS 3

Quote:
As if you don't eat the depreciation on a lease?

Some folks buy and hold for the longer term, especially considering this is the last non-EV M3.
      10-15-2020, 06:00 AM   #30
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM-3 View Post
Quote:
As if you don't eat the depreciation on a lease?

Some folks buy and hold for the longer term, especially considering this is the last non-EV M3.
You're basically paying for the depreciation on a lease vehicle
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 05:24 PM   #31
kmualim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X6MC

Garage List
Quote:
Anyone (with leasing experience) have an idea what an $80K M4 would come out to in money down + monthly ?

GM
Leasehacker website is a great resource for calculating how much you pay for lease (not just BMW).

There's not much discounts (if any) for this car at the moment due to "chip" shortage. Then there's Money Factors and MSDs and etc etc to consider.

But aside from all those, it's about $1100 (not less) for an 80K MSRP.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 11:53 PM   #32
adameaton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 COMP XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Who is giving 10% discounts on M cars?
BMW Military Sales. All day.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #33
sleepy floyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1974 Ford Bronco, 2022 M4

For me, the .9% interest rate makes a big difference. Say you put down payment of sales tax (though obviously time value of money would suggest put minimum down), you're basically paying down principal except for a very little bit of interest each month. After 3 years, your car will be close to 60% paid off versus 43% paid off for a lease (though you're probably paying ~ $200-300 more per month). You could easily sell the car for more than you owe after 3 years. I'm sure there's holes in my argument, but it makes logical sense for me at least.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 12:07 AM   #34
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy floyd View Post
For me, the .9% interest rate makes a big difference. Say you put down payment of sales tax (though obviously time value of money would suggest put minimum down), you're basically paying down principal except for a very little bit of interest each month. After 3 years, your car will be close to 60% paid off versus 43% paid off for a lease (though you're probably paying ~ $200-300 more per month). You could easily sell the car for more than you owe after 3 years. I'm sure there's holes in my argument, but it makes logical sense for me at least.
That's my rationale, at least. I've got a G80 on order and lease payment is about $200 less than financing with minimal down. Makes so much more sense to purchase because I'll owe roughly $30-35k on the car at the end of 3 years versus the $45k the residual is.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 04:22 AM   #35
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberStorm View Post
So that means 5.99% interest rate
Say what? 5. who? Pffft. 0.9 or bust.