BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

09-25-2020, 12:46 PM   #1
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

How no Euro Delivery has changed my purchase habits

When the F80 was released I got the first allocation I could with Euro Delivery. I had never seen an M3 before ordering and picking up my car at The Welt. I did the same thing with the M2. Both trips included family members.

With the G80, going to be patient. I have zero urgency. Possibly even wait until I can see a car at the dealer, maybe even a test drive. At the same time, I am considering the new CT5V / CT4V or going a completely different route - 7MT Ford Bronco and doing the off-road school and taking my kids along.

No way, I would even be looking around, but here I am waiting and not feeling any urgency to get a spot for Spring.
Appreciate 2
      09-25-2020, 01:00 PM   #2
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I’ve bought all my US BMWs as euro delivery starting well before the Welt existed. Absolutely love the experience and I’ve gotten some of my friends hooked on it as well. It’s very special and strengthens the bond between the buyer and the BMW brand immensely.

That said, it will not change anything in my buying habits other than missing out on the fantastic experience. I’m not going to punish myself with actions to make a point.

It’s just a sad change that I’m ready to accept and move on but will always miss. Hopefully it will make a come back one day.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #3
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
When the F80 was released I got the first allocation I could with Euro Delivery. I had never seen an M3 before ordering and picking up my car at The Welt. I did the same thing with the M2. Both trips included family members.

With the G80, going to be patient. I have zero urgency. Possibly even wait until I can see a car at the dealer, maybe even a test drive. At the same time, I am considering the new CT5V / CT4V or going a completely different route - 7MT Ford Bronco and doing the off-road school and taking my kids along.

No way, I would even be looking around, but here I am waiting and not feeling any urgency to get a spot for Spring.
You had never seen an F80 before picking up your car? Talk about rolling the dice! When I hear stories about Corvette dealers not allowing test drives, that immediately crosses those (or at least specific dealers) off my list.

I miss Euro delivery dearly, but it hasn't stopped me from buying BMWs as well. It only affects my vacation plans and what time of year I buy new cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 05:37 PM   #4
MR95
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X3, BMWM235

Picked my F82 at the Welt in June 14. It wasn't my first M car but the European adventure was very special and all my stories just added to me ( and my wife) being an advocate for the brand. I hope they bring it back....
As to the G82.... The lack of ED hasn't prevented me from getting allocation - I just don't feel the passion for this car.. let's see if it changes when I see one.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 04:51 PM   #5
backslashv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
You had never seen an F80 before picking up your car? Talk about rolling the dice! When I hear stories about Corvette dealers not allowing test drives, that immediately crosses those (or at least specific dealers) off my list.

I miss Euro delivery dearly, but it hasn't stopped me from buying BMWs as well. It only affects my vacation plans and what time of year I buy new cars.
Did they end the program? I was planning on using it for the new M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 01:13 PM   #6
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post

Happened to my parents. They are an older upper middle class couple that drove into the dealer in a Corvette and said they wanted to buy the new C7. They were obviously serious buyers yet no dealer they went to would allow them to drive one
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 01:14 PM   #7
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by backslashv View Post
Did they end the program? I was planning on using it for the new M3.
Yes. It's ended with no idea if it will ever return. It's very sad for those of us that got hooked on the experience.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...rogram-ending/
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 08:12 PM   #8
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Happened to my parents. They are an older upper middle class couple that drove into the dealer in a Corvette and said they wanted to buy the new C7. They were obviously serious buyers yet no dealer they went to would allow them to drive one
And since nearly every 2021 Corvette already sold, with no C8 Corvettes for dealer inventories, there won’t be any Corvette test drives for a long time to come.

If the G80 cars sell, BMW dealers may not have any unsold cars to use as “demonstrators” for quite a while.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 08:20 PM   #9
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteGuy View Post
And since nearly every 2021 Corvette already sold, with no C8 Corvettes for dealer inventories, there won’t be any Corvette test drives for a long time to come.

If the G80 cars sell, BMW dealers may not have any unsold cars to use as “demonstrators” for quite a while.
Funny you brought up the C8 corvette. With my build, it's essentially the same price as a fully loaded M3 MT. I can definitely understand why the corvette is the "bargain" supercar. As much as I appreciate the corvette, I can't imagine will like the corvette ownership long term.
      10-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #10
backslashv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Competition

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Wow. That's a shame.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 12:30 AM   #11
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Funny you brought up the C8 corvette. With my build, it's essentially the same price as a fully loaded M3 MT. I can definitely understand why the corvette is the "bargain" supercar. As much as I appreciate the corvette, I can't imagine will like the corvette ownership long term.
It's certainly a ton of car for the money and I agree, right about the same price. I'd consider one, but I know I'd feel a little self conscious pulling into work in it, much in the same way I think I might with a SPY M4.
Appreciate 0