BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

10-29-2020, 12:49 AM   #1
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

Is side view camera now replaced by drive recorder?

Looking at the pricing guide, it looks like the side (surround view) cameras from F30 are now replaced by the drive recorder. Is this correct or am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 07:49 AM   #2
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
As standard the car get's the Parking Assistant which includes automatic parking, PDC, a reversing camera and the reversing assistant (will save the steering input of the last 50m and can reverse for you exactly how you drove into a tight spot etc). If you opt for the Parking Assistant Plus package you will get 360° view incl. Top View, Panorama View and 3D view, and it automatically gets bundled with the drive recorder (built in dashcam). It will also allow you to connect to the car via an app and see the cameras remotely on your phone.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 08:11 PM   #3
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

I think that means yes. To get a 360 degree view, you need to get drive recorder. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 04:35 PM   #4
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak299 View Post
I think that means yes. To get a 360 degree view, you need to get drive recorder. Thanks.
I mean, the Parking Assistance Plus Package (ZPK) comes with Parking Assistance Plus (5DN) and Drive Recorder (6DR). Parking Assistance Plus includes the 360 cameras, parking assistance, reversing assistant, and the remote 3D view in the BMW connected app. The Drive Recorder is basically just the vehicle App that records to the existing hard drive using the cameras from 5DN. So I'd say it's more along the lines of them tossing the driver recorder on that package for simplicity so they don't charge someone $100 to just twiddle a bit in the software on a $80k+ G8x like they do on the G22 (of course the Parking Assistance Plus "Package" on the G8x is $100 more than Parking Assistance Plus on the G22).
      10-30-2020, 04:38 PM   #5
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
As standard the car get's the Parking Assistant which includes automatic parking, PDC, a reversing camera and the reversing assistant (will save the steering input of the last 50m and can reverse for you exactly how you drove into a tight spot etc). If you opt for the Parking Assistant Plus package you will get 360° view incl. Top View, Panorama View and 3D view, and it automatically gets bundled with the drive recorder (built in dashcam). It will also allow you to connect to the car via an app and see the cameras remotely on your phone.
I do not think the standard car gets the parking assistant, just PDC and the reversing camera.

I believe you need parking assistant plus for the parking assistant and reversing assistant (along with the cameras and such)
      10-31-2020, 02:54 AM   #6
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
I do not think the standard car gets the parking assistant, just PDC and the reversing camera.

I believe you need parking assistant plus for the parking assistant and reversing assistant (along with the cameras and such)
I'm not quite sure if I'm correct with what comes standard, it might be only with PDC (and a reversing camera where it is legally necessary), but in the US ordering guide I don't see the Parking Assistant as an option, only the Parking assistant Plus, which lead me to believe the G8X comes standard with the Parking Assistant. At least in Germany it comes only with PDC (not even a reversing camera).

As for what is included in the packages... Parking Assistant:
Quote:
The Parking Assistant includes rear view camera, Parking Assist Side, Active Park Distance Control as well as the parking and reversing assistant. This makes it easier to park the vehicle and maneuver it in tight spaces. The rear-view camera ensures better visibility to the rear. When parking, the side parking aid uses additional sensors to monitor the area to the side of the vehicle and to show obstacles on the Control Display. The Active PDC emergency braking function helps to avoid collisions or reduce the severity of accidents in parking situations when reversing. The parking assistant uses longitudinal and lateral guidance to automatically park the vehicle into parking spaces that are parallel or transverse to the road and automatically removes it from longitudinal parking spaces. The system measures parking spaces when driving past at low speed (below 35 km/h) and at a maximum distance of 1.5 m from the row of parked vehicles. Once a sufficiently large gap has been found, you simply turn on the blinker while the parking assistant takes over the steering, the correct gear selection and accelerates. You only have to monitor the parking process. The system provides supporting instructions in the Control Display and additional acoustic signals. The parking assistant ends the parking process with a signal tone and switches to drive level "P". Parking out of longitudinal parking spaces works in the same way. The reversing assistant records a distance of up to 50 m that you have driven yourself when maneuvering forward, so that you can reverse the vehicle on the same path if you wish. The distance of the remaining driving distance is shown in the image of the rear view camera.
And there is also the Parking Assistant Plus:
Quote:
Parking Assistant Plus makes parking and maneuvering easy. The equipment includes the Surround View system, consisting of Top View, Panorama View and Remote 3D View, Active Park Distance Control as well as the parking and reversing assistant. The surround view system makes parking easier by displaying the Top View, a Panorama View with automatic activation and a 3D View on the central control display. Even from a distance, you can use Remote 3D View to view the surroundings of the parked vehicle on your smartphone. When parking manually, additional sensors monitor the area to the side of the vehicle and obstacles are displayed on the Control Display. The Active PDC emergency braking function helps you avoid collisions or reduce the severity of accidents in parking situations when reversing. The parking assistant automatically parks the vehicle in parking spaces that are parallel or transverse to the roadway and can also automatically park out of longitudinal parking spaces. The system measures parking spaces when driving slowly past (below 35 km/h) and at a maximum distance of 1.5 m from the row of parked vehicles. Once a sufficiently large gap has been found, you simply turn the blinker, while the parking assistant takes over steering, the correct gear selection and accelerating. You only have to monitor the parking process. If you have moved forward one way while maneuvering, the reversing assistant records this route up to 50 m, and reverses the vehicle again on the same route if you wish.
In short it's how I wrote before.
Parking Assistant:
  • Rear view camera
  • Park Assist Side (PDC on the side of the car)
  • Active PDC (PDC + will brake the car if you come close to an obstacle)
  • Automatic Parking Assistant
  • Reversing assistant
The Parking Assistant Plus additionally includes:
  • Surround View System incl. Top View, Panoramic View, 3D View
  • Remote 3D View (watch the cameras on your phone)
  • BMW Drive Recorder

Last edited by Flamingi; 10-31-2020 at 03:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 08:53 AM   #7
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
I'm not quite sure if I'm correct with what comes standard, it might be only with PDC (and a reversing camera where it is legally necessary), but in the US ordering guide I don't see the Parking Assistant as an option, only the Parking assistant Plus, which lead me to believe the G8X comes standard with the Parking Assistant. At least in Germany it comes only with PDC (not even a reversing camera).
Yeah, these options definitely change from chasis to chasis, especially as more components become standard. The official press release makes it pretty clear, just PDC as standard, with the parking assistance package (which is parking assistance plus, containing the parking assistant, and drive recorder) as an option.

Quote:
Driver Assistance systems

The new M3 and M4 are equipped with extensive and cutting-edge standard driver assistance systems designed to enhance comfort and safety in both day to day driving and during long journeys. Park Distance Control and Automatic High beam assistant are standard as is Active Protection and the Active Driving Assistant.

The optional Driving Assistance Professional Package for the Competition models includes Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go, Extended Traffic Jam Assistant for limited access highways, Active Lane Keeping Assistant, Active Blind Spot Detection, Evasion Aid and Emergency Stop Assistant.

The latest generation of the optional BMW Head-Up Display system offers a 70 percent larger projection surface on which M-specific displays such as the multi-color tachometer, the Shift Lights and M View are shown.

The optional Parking Assistance package can identify parking spots to the left or right and steer the car into the parking spot. The Surround View with 3D view gives a top down view of the car and its surroundings which can also be accessed remotely by the BMW ConnectedDrive app. The included BMW Drive Recorder uses the front and rear cameras to record video sequences up to 40 seconds in length with a tap of the iDrive controller or automatically in an event of a crash. The video clips can be exported to a storage device using the USB port.
Appreciate 0