BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

08-01-2023, 08:24 PM   #1
AnthonyG4112
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80

G80X VS. Hellcat Redeye

I have the opportunity to purchase one or the other, a redeye or g80xr. I'm used to driving high hp cars my last 3 cars have at least been 650 hp to the wheels. I know both cars have their niche but what is more entertaining, which gives you more feeling, which is more fun. I'm simply looking for a thrill when I drive my car. For people that have experience with these cars or similar cars which car gives you more thrill or experience? I'm talking fun road driving not track or strip. My fear is ill get bored with the g80x and I don't want to make a mistake. Any input would be awesome.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2023, 08:41 PM   #2
M4nication
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
So I can actually help you with this. As I'm selling my Redeye Challenger, and getting a G82 Comp xDrive. Should have it in 2 weeks.

Originally I was supposed to be getting a Last Call edition Jailbreak. But the deal fell through and I started looking around at what else was out there for the money. Ended up ordering the G82.

As to why I picked it? It's just so much nicer inside. The Challenger is very comfortable don't get me wrong, and the interior is by no means bad. It's nice leather, alcantara, etc. But the M4 just feels like a space ship sitting in it.

As to the speed... The Redeye will win in a drag race from a roll for obvious reasons. But from a dig, the M4 Comp xDrive is faster because the AWD. The launch (and 0-60) on the M4 is noticably quicker than my Redeye. It's eye watering. I fell in love. That being said, I plan on tuning my M4, where it'll have the same power numbers as my Redeye (800hp/700tq) but also weigh 700-800 pounds less and is AWD. So obviously I'd win in any measure then.

Cornering I think the answer is obvious. The Redeye (Widebody) actually isn't bad around corners. I sling it around the canyons here in LA no problem. I keep up with my friends who have things like Golf Rs, M3 Comps (F80), etc etc. But the M4 is still noticably snappier. It's a different car.

If you want comfort, the Redeye is probably more comfortable. It's much larger inside. More legroom, smooth as hell ride (not that the M3/M4 isn't smooth) and overall just a nicer cruiser. I sit in stop/go traffic in it every day, as it's my only car, and I don't dread it one bit.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
Appreciate 5
Needsdecaf6606.00
echtors167.00
Slowlives307.00
JeetG80x323.50
Bumpinjeep5532.50
      08-01-2023, 09:23 PM   #3
AnthonyG4112
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4nication View Post
So I can actually help you with this. As I'm selling my Redeye Challenger, and getting a G82 Comp xDrive. Should have it in 2 weeks.

Originally I was supposed to be getting a Last Call edition Jailbreak. But the deal fell through and I started looking around at what else was out there for the money. Ended up ordering the G82.

As to why I picked it? It's just so much nicer inside. The Challenger is very comfortable don't get me wrong, and the interior is by no means bad. It's nice leather, alcantara, etc. But the M4 just feels like a space ship sitting in it.

As to the speed... The Redeye will win in a drag race from a roll for obvious reasons. But from a dig, the M4 Comp xDrive is faster because the AWD. The launch (and 0-60) on the M4 is noticably quicker than my Redeye. It's eye watering. I fell in love. That being said, I plan on tuning my M4, where it'll have the same power numbers as my Redeye (800hp/700tq) but also weigh 700-800 pounds less and is AWD. So obviously I'd win in any measure then.

Cornering I think the answer is obvious. The Redeye (Widebody) actually isn't bad around corners. I sling it around the canyons here in LA no problem. I keep up with my friends who have things like Golf Rs, M3 Comps (F80), etc etc. But the M4 is still noticably snappier. It's a different car.

If you want comfort, the Redeye is probably more comfortable. It's much larger inside. More legroom, smooth as hell ride (not that the M3/M4 isn't smooth) and overall just a nicer cruiser. I sit in stop/go traffic in it every day, as it's my only car, and I don't dread it one bit.

Thanks brother, this is the exact kind of real world experience I'm looking for. I have had thoughts of tuning my g80x if i get it. I know once I do that car will be damm near untouchable on the road. Again, my only fear is if it's too bland, but what it sounds like from your experience, the m4 is anything but bland.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 09:28 PM   #4
M4nication
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG4112 View Post
Thanks brother, this is the exact kind of real world experience I'm looking for. I have had thoughts of tuning my g80x if i get it. I know once I do that car will be damm near untouchable on the road. Again, my only fear is if it's too bland, but what it sounds like from your experience, the m4 is anything but bland.
Of course man. Glad I can help!!

It's definitely not bland. And keep in mind that was just from the test drive I took where the sales guy did let me go wild in it a bit.

The one thing the Redeye wins without contest, is sound. It sounds 10x better than the M4. The supercharger on the Redeye/Demon screams like nothing I've ever heard before. Especially with an intake. And the V8 just sounds way better than the I6. It's not a comparison.

That being said, I am getting a catless downpipe and resonated single midpipe for it. The set-up I found makes it sound much, much better, and is the closest I could get to the "growl" I'm used to. I also got an intake to make the turbos more prominent as well.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6606.00
      08-02-2023, 06:44 AM   #5
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Of course man. Glad I can help!!

It's definitely not bland. And keep in mind that was just from the test drive I took where the sales guy did let me go wild in it a bit.

The one thing the Redeye wins without contest, is sound. It sounds 10x better than the M4. The supercharger on the Redeye/Demon screams like nothing I've ever heard before. Especially with an intake. And the V8 just sounds way better than the I6. It's not a comparison.

That being said, I am getting a catless downpipe and resonated single midpipe for it. The set-up I found makes it sound much, much better, and is the closest I could get to the "growl" I'm used to. I also got an intake to make the turbos more prominent as well.
A chainsaw sounds better then the F/G cars. Lol
Appreciate 2
Needsdecaf6606.00
Vic5519365.00
      08-02-2023, 08:00 AM   #6
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:

Great answer, we can probably close the thread at this point! LOL.

Also, it's refreshing to see someone have something nice to say about another vehicle and point out it's strong suits vs. the G8X instead of the rampant fanboi cheerleading we get sometimes. All cars are compromises. Those old (and they are freaking OLD) Challenger / Chargers are a hoot for sure. I saw a nasty looking Challenger yesterday with a great sounding exhaust and I'm like "that dude is having FUN".

OP, all depends on what you value. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 08:02 AM   #7
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
A chainsaw sounds better then the F/G cars. Lol
Truth. And not an overall inaccurate comparison. The I6 snarl / rasp does have a lot of 'chainsaw' tones to it. Unfortunately the TT setup in the S55 and S58 have overlaid too much flatulence to the classic I6 ripping sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 11:13 PM   #8
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp Xdrive FDG

I’ve actually have owned both. I had a Charger Hellcat for 3 years and put 40k in miles on it. 32k of it is modded with FBOs running E85 running sub 10s second through a 1/4 mile. I’ve had my G80 M3 AWD for a year now with 13k. I will say if you’re not planning to track or whip it around turns, the hellcat will be a more entertaining car.

However, I personally love the G80 more and don’t have any regrets trading the Hellcat in for it. It’s a more refine car, it’s sexy especially in Frozen Dark Grey . I will say this for some reason I’ve had trouble being comfortable in the G80. I’m 37 and 5’8 and only weigh in 160. So if you’re a guy with some lower back stiffness, the Hellcat is a much more comfortable car for longer drives. However, to another members point. The interior is no match for M3. I personally love cruising with the M3 more than the Hellcat, the Hellcat was all highway pulls and you can only do that so many times before it’s just like eh. However, M3 is no where near the sound of Hellcat as I’m frequently reminded by my youngest son. They’re both great cars and service different itches. I hope that helps.
2012 - Charger SRT 392 - Sold
2009 - Charger SRT 6.1 - Sold
Appreciate 2
bri10425941.50
      08-04-2023, 03:02 PM   #9
AnthonyG4112
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerHellcat View Post
I’ve actually have owned both. I had a Charger Hellcat for 3 years and put 40k in miles on it. 32k of it is modded with FBOs running E85 running sub 10s second through a 1/4 mile. I’ve had my G80 M3 AWD for a year now with 13k. I will say if you’re not planning to track or whip it around turns, the hellcat will be a more entertaining car.
However, I personally love the G80 more and don’t have any regrets trading the Hellcat in for it. It’s a more refine car, it’s sexy especially in Frozen Dark Grey . I will say this for some reason I’ve had trouble being comfortable in the G80. I’m 37 and 5’8 and only weigh in 160. So if you’re a guy with some lower back stiffness, the Hellcat is a much more comfortable car for longer drives. However, to another members point. The interior is no match for M3. I personally love cruising with the M3 more than the Hellcat, the Hellcat was all highway pulls and you can only do that so many times before it’s just like eh. However, M3 is no where near the sound of Hellcat as I’m frequently reminded by my youngest son. They’re both great cars and service different itches. I hope that helps.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. Im starting to think, first impressions the Redeye would be more fun, no doubt, but eventually, I think I'll want more than what it offers.
With a tune and some minor work I think the m3 can be just as fast and be a better jack of all trades.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 04:26 PM   #10
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

G80 no question.
Appreciate 0