BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

03-08-2023, 01:11 PM   #45
kassad
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
I believe its rumored that only non BWs would get the interior update with MY24 refresh and i hope thats true.
Pure speculation on my part, but it seems unlikely they would keep two separate interior assembly stations, tooling, and supply chains running.

I like cadillac's implementation better than BMWs. The separate configurable OLED on the left is kind of neat, and the whole thing flows with the interior better than the tablet-on-a-stick BMW version. Plus they kept physical HVAC controls.

At least neither have capacitive steering wheel buttons
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 01:33 PM   #46
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassad View Post
Pure speculation on my part, but it seems unlikely they would keep two separate interior assembly stations, tooling, and supply chains running.

I like cadillac's implementation better than BMWs. The separate configurable OLED on the left is kind of neat, and the whole thing flows with the interior better than the tablet-on-a-stick BMW version. Plus they kept physical HVAC controls.

At least neither have capacitive steering wheel buttons
With BWs days being numbered, they might not be making the interior change for the few years left. GM kept the older front fascia design with ZL1 when every other trim went in for a change with LCI update, so anything is possible.

If BMW had the HVAC controls with iD8 and integrated it better in the dash, it would have been an impressive product.
Appreciate 1
PLF693767.50
      03-08-2023, 02:41 PM   #47
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
You don’t deserve to have this problem unless you keep both.
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1318.50
      03-08-2023, 07:39 PM   #48
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willywilson View Post
If it's American made, hard pass. Quality is so bad.
Should we go through the catastrophic issues each generation of m3s has had including subframes ripping out of floors and rod bearings and crank hubs grenading engines?
Appreciate 5
vj1233790.00
LuckyBrand1318.50
VR1638.00
reNT265.50
M4Tejas788.00
      03-08-2023, 10:28 PM   #49
willywilson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 Comp Xdrive (ordered)

American so bad. Wish it was better.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 07:41 AM   #50
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Should we go through the catastrophic issues each generation of m3s has had including subframes ripping out of floors and rod bearings and crank hubs grenading engines?
I own (or used to own) a G8x and thats the best thing this world has ever seen. Everything else is garbage!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 07:11 PM   #51
jwhhjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

I haven't driven a G8x M (my last M was an e92 M3), but I will say the Blackwing was underwhelming. The reviews really hyped it up enough for me to go drive one but wasn't nice enough for me to buy it.
Appreciate 1
PLF693767.50
      03-14-2023, 06:57 AM   #52
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhhjr View Post
I haven't driven a G8x M (my last M was an e92 M3), but I will say the Blackwing was underwhelming. The reviews really hyped it up enough for me to go drive one but wasn't nice enough for me to buy it.
What failed the whelm you? :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 07:05 AM   #53
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Oh no, you better run. Here come the pitchforks.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 06:54 PM   #54
jwhhjr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
What failed the whelm you? :-)
Interior, sound, tech, quality, looks.

So the interior is just okay in terms of materials. But some of the tech gimmicks I noticed were a little annoying. For the wireless charging area, the phone had to be exactly in a certain spot and not just anywhere in the black rectangle cubby section. It kept sliding out of the spot and stopped charging. Wireless carplay also didn't connect the second time when I turned off and started it again after the first connect.

I don't like that the car turns on when you walk towards it with the key in your pocket automatically. The sales guy didn't know if you can turn that feature off.

The trunk closing felt weak and no power close button. The hood closing mechanism felt broken. So when I popped the hood to look at the engine, I noticed it wouldn't close easily. I tried the drop from 10 inches, no go. I tried the use two palms to push down on it after the 10 inch drop didn't close it; it wouldn't fully close. There was already scratches on the hood latch thing after my few attempts of closing it (my bad). Then the sales guy popped it all the way back up, lowered it a few inches and then slammed it down full force with a ferocious two-handed swing and then it closed...

Doors are artificially heavy. So the door itself isn't super solid, it's the mechanism to open and close that gives it resistance to make it feel heavy.

Looks...well it doesn't look better in person. It's still very plain. I guess if you get carbon fiber package 1 and 2 it's better but I didn't see it with those.

The sound from inside is actually very quiet. Until you push it a little harder then you hear some engine and exhaust. But it is artificial. It sounds great if someone drives by with it but not when you're driving it.

Last edited by jwhhjr; 03-14-2023 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 07:19 PM   #55
jwhhjr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Oh no, you better run. Here come the pitchforks.
Yeah I'll go away for another 8 years again. Wanted to see how the M forums for the current gens are going and was browsing for CSL insight.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 07:52 AM   #56
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Interior, sound, tech, quality, looks.

So the interior is just okay in terms of materials. But some of the tech gimmicks I noticed were a little annoying. For the wireless charging area, the phone had to be exactly in a certain spot and not just anywhere in the black rectangle cubby section. It kept sliding out of the spot and stopped charging. Wireless carplay also didn't connect the second time when I turned off and started it again after the first connect.

I don't like that the car turns on when you walk towards it with the key in your pocket automatically. The sales guy didn't know if you can turn that feature off.

The trunk closing felt weak and no power close button. The hood closing mechanism felt broken. So when I popped the hood to look at the engine, I noticed it wouldn't close easily. I tried the drop from 10 inches, no go. I tried the use two palms to push down on it after the 10 inch drop didn't close it; it wouldn't fully close. There was already scratches on the hood latch thing after my few attempts of closing it (my bad). Then the sales guy popped it all the way back up, lowered it a few inches and then slammed it down full force with a ferocious two-handed swing and then it closed...

Doors are artificially heavy. So the door itself isn't super solid, it's the mechanism to open and close that gives it resistance to make it feel heavy.

Looks...well it doesn't look better in person. It's still very plain. I guess if you get carbon fiber package 1 and 2 it's better but I didn't see it with those.

The sound from inside is actually very quiet. Until you push it a little harder then you hear some engine and exhaust. But it is artificial. It sounds great if someone drives by with it but not when you're driving it.
Depending on what you mean by "turn on", the M's also know you're close, and can unlock automatically when you approach. It is, though, very easy to turn off. My car is set to auto-lock but not auto-unlock.

Thanks for your reply. I haven't driven one, though I want to, but I have seen a couple of CT4's in various trims including BW, and sat in a 4 BW. That was a fun experience. /s

The Cadillac sales creature that was there outright questioned if I could afford it. He saw me arrive in my M3. He was TWITCHY when I sat in it and instructed me to be "careful with it". And, of course, no test drive even though it had 38 miles on it so clearly had been driven. Sitting in it was a negative experience, even if you discount the creepy creature hovering outside.

...and then asked me if I was interested in it. It had a $25k markup on it, so it certainly was not cheaper than my M3 6MT. A markup of that sort in the Portland area is preposterous, and this was just three weeks ago rather than during the worst of the 2022 markups. My response to him was along the lines of "not without a test drive". It was as polite as I could be at that point.

I actually can't quite quantify how much better it would have to be to drive to get me out of my M3 for it. More than it possibly could be, and not at that grungy dealership with that guy working there.
Appreciate 1
mirob3039.50
      03-17-2023, 12:14 AM   #57
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Depending on what you mean by "turn on", the M's also know you're close, and can unlock automatically when you approach. It is, though, very easy to turn off. My car is set to auto-lock but not auto-unlock.

Thanks for your reply. I haven't driven one, though I want to, but I have seen a couple of CT4's in various trims including BW, and sat in a 4 BW. That was a fun experience. /s

The Cadillac sales creature that was there outright questioned if I could afford it. He saw me arrive in my M3. He was TWITCHY when I sat in it and instructed me to be "careful with it". And, of course, no test drive even though it had 38 miles on it so clearly had been driven. Sitting in it was a negative experience, even if you discount the creepy creature hovering outside.

...and then asked me if I was interested in it. It had a $25k markup on it, so it certainly was not cheaper than my M3 6MT. A markup of that sort in the Portland area is preposterous, and this was just three weeks ago rather than during the worst of the 2022 markups. My response to him was along the lines of "not without a test drive". It was as polite as I could be at that point.

I actually can't quite quantify how much better it would have to be to drive to get me out of my M3 for it. More than it possibly could be, and not at that grungy dealership with that guy working there.
I had a similar experience. Before I ordered my M3 I thought about the ct5v blackwing. I went to the Cadillac dealer to see pricing and order availability. Walked in literally did a loop and walked back out without even talking to anyone. When you buy a car you are also getting into a multi year relationship with the dealer. Too bad because the cars are fantastic.

Appreciate 1
bri10425941.50
      03-17-2023, 11:41 AM   #58
jwhhjr
Private First Class
Rep

Similar to Teslas, there are a lot of panel misalignment issues with the Blackwings:

https://www.cadillacvnet.com/forums/...89/#post-68879

Paint and interior quality issues are another story but easily searchable there as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 12:01 PM   #59
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Similar to Teslas, there are a lot of panel misalignment issues with the Blackwings:

Paint and interior quality issues are another story but easily searchable there as well.
I wasn't interested much in the CT4 since the rear seats are cramped and it's engine in just fine and not that memorable but the CT5 with the V8 was very attractive with a price (without carbon packs not too far off the M3.

Since I do around 10 track days per summer the heavier CT5 with its limited track tire availability and fitment, possible over track limit exhaust volume and bigger feel/format was ditched out but it was still a hard decision.

Acknowledging the American Car manufacturer quality issues and often lower grade materials reminds me why I tend to almost lean towards German manufacturers with my car choices..
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 12:15 PM   #60
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

My M3s door panels aren't lined up that well to be honest. Ican snap some photos later. No way id ever bring it to a dealer to have it addressed though.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 04:38 PM   #61
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schn3ll View Post
Spoken like someone who’s never driven any of the cars mentioned.

RS6/7 engine is lazy and boring (using a corporate engine), car is heavy and ponderous (air suspension) and does not feel sporty at all - with no manual option.

Conversely, the Blackwing is one of the best V8’s ever made (made by hand, sound, power/torque) and it is an insane powertrain with great mag ride suspension, resulting in some of the best 4 door lap times ever posted on track. If you actually drove one and didn’t think it was infinitely more exciting than the RS cars, then you don’t have a pulse.

Who’s giving you your opinions?
We all have opinions. The Blackwing does nothing for me either, V8 or not. A V8 doesn't necessarily mean the car has appeal to everybody. It's the same reason many of us are not driving TESLA's while others rave about the car(s). Some are of the opinion the EV "powerplant" is God's gift while others just find it boring (...despite its ability to out-pace most things on the road).

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-17-2023 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 5
PLF693767.50
Tyga113235.50
mirob3039.50
Rambler208.50
      03-17-2023, 06:23 PM   #62
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
We all have opinions. The Blackwing does nothing for me either, V8 or not. A V8 doesn't necessarily mean the car has appeal to everybody. It's the same reason many of us are not driving TESLA's while others rave about the car(s). Some are of the opinion the EV "powerplant" is God's gift while others just find it boring (...despite its ability to out-pace most things on the road).
Too many internet warriors on here...I don't have time for them
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      03-17-2023, 07:47 PM   #63
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Too many internet warriors on here...I don't have time for them
True......and many who rave about a particular car, for example, but never actually go purchase one themselves.
Appreciate 2
PLF693767.50
Tyga113235.50
      03-17-2023, 09:51 PM   #64
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My M3s door panels aren't lined up that well to be honest. Ican snap some photos later. No way id ever bring it to a dealer to have it addressed though.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 05:04 PM   #65
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
That appears to be a trim issue rather than a door alignment issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 05:44 PM   #66
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
That appears to be a trim issue rather than a door alignment issue.
It's both. The door also sticks out. Hard to see in this photo but it does. Look how far the front door b pillar sticks out. Look at the crease by the door handle. Surprised to see this passed "QA" and left the factory like this.
Appreciate 0