BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

07-25-2023, 11:26 PM   #1
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3CS

m3CS vs gt4, maybe 991.2 gt3

Well, my is CS scheduled for production in September. I really love my current f80 m3 CS. It's a fun car, feels still analog, no fake sound, love the dct, and I really enjoy the 4 door practicality and taking the family and kids with me from time to time. It's good on the track, fun as a weekend joy ride, and still 4 doors usable when I need it. I can track it on Monday and drop off the kids to school next morning. I didn't really like the g80 m3 as much since it feels a little too synthesized, computerized, artificial and not as exciting to drive. Passed on my original allocation and kept the cs. The g80 is super quick and a great daily, but I feel like lost some of the ///M DNA becoming a great all around car. My brother has one, so I spent a good amount of time in it, driving included. It's also really fast on the track too. Feels easier to drive fast, but like I said, not as exciting. Anyway since the CS is coming, been looking around what other options out there in same price point. 2020 Gt4 pretty much same price point. I'll loose the practicality, but I know it will be very exciting. Gt3 is my dream car and for little more stretch, I can probably pick up either a 2016 gt3 or stretch some more to 2018 gt3. I prefer the facelift front end and I know that there a few upgrades to the 991.2 that make it better. But both will be out of warranty and I will drive it hard. Also, I might be able to fit both kids in the gt3 for schools pick ups from time to time.

I know g80 m3cs will be a performance monster, but just worried if it will be rewarding to drive. I have 2 other dailies and don't need or use it for that. It's my fun toy. I've driven the f80 comp back to back with my CS and there's definitely a noticeable improvement in feel which I'm sure, or hope, the g80 CS will bring over the g80 comp. Plus having Warranty and maintenance is so nice. My dealership also takes real goof care of me. But Porsche is a Porsche. I know the driving thrill will be much better at the expense of practicality.

Anyone was, is, in the same position or have experience with both, have any feedback or thoughts?

My original thread on the g80 vs f80 CS

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1896185

Last edited by wasya152; 07-25-2023 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 02:24 AM   #2
TheLegend
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

If you don't need the practicality of the M3 the GT4/GT3 is no comparison. Porsche really nails the driver inputs in a way that BMW never could. The new G80 are fast, capable, comfortable and full of tech. However they are no longer the drivers car that made me fall in love with BMWs in the first place.

I sold my F82 M4 DCT because I never really fell in love with it. It felt fast but numb but also I missed driving manual. I was open to getting a G80 M3 manual despite the grill and and even got a build slot. I admit the grill in person is not as bad and I could tolerate it. When I finally got the opportunity to test drive an G80 M3 manual I felt exactly how you did driving it. It's fast, but didn't sound good, quiet, numb steering, and the manual wasn't great. BMW CDV once again makes driving manual more of a chore than enhancing the driving engagement. I mean this is what most people would want in a daily driver but to me my Tesla Model Y fills that role and I was looking for a more raw and driving experience. I don't really know how much a difference the G80 CS makes over the base M3 so I can't help you with that.

I ended up picking up a 718 GT4 because I was blown away by the test drive. I felt like this was the one time where the journalist cliché about it being one of the best drivers car was actually warranted. It definitely feels much more exciting to drive even at low speeds and the driver inputs are excellent, great steering feel, balanced chassis, enough power but not not too much that you can't enjoy it without going straight to jail, one of the best manuals, great sounding engine that just revs forever. I didn't feel like the tall gearing was too big of an issue. Would I prefer slightly shorter gears sure, but I don't think it hurts the car as much as everyone seems to suggest. GT3 manual has tall gears too.. With this being the last production year for a GT4(you basically can't get it new anymore) and all cayman/boxster going EV in 2025 I think it will always remain a special car.

My ultimate goal is a GT3 as well but I don't think I'll be replacing my GT4 but adding to it. I think the 991.1 GT3 is excellent value right now especially with the 10 year engine warranty running out soon, but it's PDK only. With the 991.2 GT3 your really looking at 180k-200k.

GT3/GT4 hold their value really well. Once this craziness ends with the used car market I suspect BMW will go back to depreciating like crazy. Cars will always get faster from here on out, in fact I already think they're just way too fast now, but few cars will be as engaging to drive as a GT3/GT4.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 07:53 AM   #3
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Well, you need to figure out how you want to use it.

I've got a 997.2 Turbo S. And while it's not a GT car, being a 997, the last of the pre-VAG 911's, it's pretty old school for a wasserboxer. Thin door cards, tight dash, etc. Feels like a proper 911. Which was great when it was my weekend car.

Now that it's my daily, I can't wait to get my G80 to replace it. I will miss the Porsche-ness of it. But for daily driving, it's just not that comfortable / practical / rewarding. But this is because I live in Houston, and there are no good roads within 45 minutes of where I live.

A Porsche, especially a GT Porsche, is getting very focused. It is designed to engage you, as a driver, all the time. If it's your occasional car, and you have good roads, this is a good thing. If I still lived on the East Coast, I'd be keeping my 911. Because, you know, you actually steer the car from time to time even on a daily commute. LOL.

But you will suffer practicality. Forget taking the kids in it. Only one will fit, unless you have a kid rolling around the back of a GT3 which is very 1970's and 80's, lol. They are stiff, always, and always hyper alert. They are expensive to run, something many people overlook. The tech is old.

But man, when you're on it, few cars are as dialed in as a good Porsche. The inputs are so spot on, and the car is just alive beneath you.

Unlike the poster above, I will say in the GT4 you will likely be immensely frustrated by the gearing. I know in my 991 C2S even with the 7 speed manual, 1st and 2nd were so tall it was dumb, and that car had just as peaky of a power band as a GT car did. 7,600 Redline, 7,200 HP peak, 5,600 torque peak if I remember. But redline in second was nearly SEVENTY FIVE. I mean, really? I have FOUR more gears to go and you give me redline over 70 in second? It's really, deeply, annoying. Not because it isn't moving quickly, but because damn it, I bought a Naturally Aspirated flat 6 with a manual so I can SHIFT the damn thing, and now I don't really need to. What's the point? Other than that, they are fantastic cars.

I've not driven an F80 CS but man, I did NOT get along with the F80 and F80 Comp. No sir, that suspension was not made for rough roads and it just wanted to light up the tires at all times. I tried for two years to convince myself to buy one in 2015 and 2016. But at the end....I got the 911. The G80, however, is for me, perfect...because what I really want is an E39 M5 for the modern age, which is basically what it is in price, size and performance. Well, more performance actually. I drove an M4 this weekend and can see why reviewers are cool on it. To me it just feels too big. Driving it back to back after a 997, it does not feel like a sports car at all. It is fast, and capable, but big.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 11:26 AM   #4
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Well, you need to figure out how you want to use it.

I've got a 997.2 Turbo S. And while it's not a GT car, being a 997, the last of the pre-VAG 911's, it's pretty old school for a wasserboxer. Thin door cards, tight dash, etc. Feels like a proper 911. Which was great when it was my weekend car.

Now that it's my daily, I can't wait to get my G80 to replace it. I will miss the Porsche-ness of it. But for daily driving, it's just not that comfortable / practical / rewarding. But this is because I live in Houston, and there are no good roads within 45 minutes of where I live.

A Porsche, especially a GT Porsche, is getting very focused. It is designed to engage you, as a driver, all the time. If it's your occasional car, and you have good roads, this is a good thing. If I still lived on the East Coast, I'd be keeping my 911. Because, you know, you actually steer the car from time to time even on a daily commute. LOL.

But you will suffer practicality. Forget taking the kids in it. Only one will fit, unless you have a kid rolling around the back of a GT3 which is very 1970's and 80's, lol. They are stiff, always, and always hyper alert. They are expensive to run, something many people overlook. The tech is old.

But man, when you're on it, few cars are as dialed in as a good Porsche. The inputs are so spot on, and the car is just alive beneath you.

Unlike the poster above, I will say in the GT4 you will likely be immensely frustrated by the gearing. I know in my 991 C2S even with the 7 speed manual, 1st and 2nd were so tall it was dumb, and that car had just as peaky of a power band as a GT car did. 7,600 Redline, 7,200 HP peak, 5,600 torque peak if I remember. But redline in second was nearly SEVENTY FIVE. I mean, really? I have FOUR more gears to go and you give me redline over 70 in second? It's really, deeply, annoying. Not because it isn't moving quickly, but because damn it, I bought a Naturally Aspirated flat 6 with a manual so I can SHIFT the damn thing, and now I don't really need to. What's the point? Other than that, they are fantastic cars.

I've not driven an F80 CS but man, I did NOT get along with the F80 and F80 Comp. No sir, that suspension was not made for rough roads and it just wanted to light up the tires at all times. I tried for two years to convince myself to buy one in 2015 and 2016. But at the end....I got the 911. The G80, however, is for me, perfect...because what I really want is an E39 M5 for the modern age, which is basically what it is in price, size and performance. Well, more performance actually. I drove an M4 this weekend and can see why reviewers are cool on it. To me it just feels too big. Driving it back to back after a 997, it does not feel like a sports car at all. It is fast, and capable, but big.

The cs with the 19 inch fronts and softer suspension is way more compliant. The cup2 tires that I have on it probably help with that as well so long as it's warm weather. The f80 comp that I drove feels way too stiff for our Chicago roads.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 01:30 PM   #5
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasya152 View Post
I really love my current f80 m3 CS. It's a fun car, feels still analog, no fake sound, love the dct, and I really enjoy the 4 door practicality and taking the family and kids with me from time to time. It's good on the track, fun as a weekend joy ride, and still 4 doors usable when I need it. I can track it on Monday and drop off the kids to school next morning. I didn't really like the g80 m3 as much since it feels a little too synthesized, computerized, artificial and not as exciting to drive.
I am sure you have your reasons on why you would even think of changing a car that you 'love' and consider getting into something you "didn't really like."

IMHO, F80 is the more intimate vehicle in which you can enjoy driving for daily chores and on track. The G80 has become much more synthesized with all done via electronics. The G80 has become the German pony car, I think. Frankly, I can make a similar argument for the 991 and 992 GT3 as well, compared to 996 and 997 variants.

Out of the options you mention, if you have to change cars, I would go for the GT4. It is the most intimate driving experience without giving up too much to daily needs, besides the lack of rear seats.

Then again, almost every day, I regret selling my F82. I have not bought an G8x, and I highly doubt I will. Then again, the options in the marketplace for really good ICE performance cars are getting more and more limited. If and when I find something I really want, it will be one that I will hang on to for a long time and not something that will be based on "I just want a change, and see how it works out."
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 09:38 PM   #6
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

My plan was to keep the f80 CS, buy the g80 CS, do the break in, and then decide which one to keep. the Porsche is so tempting though but I really like having the practicality of the 4 doors even though I don't need it like 70-80% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 11:26 PM   #7
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

If you have kids, get the G80 if you can only have 1 car. If you can have a 2nd car, get a multi purpose beater (like my Golf R haha) and the 991.2 GT3. I’d personally get the 4.0, as those early .1 3.8’s had engine issues. And you get a 4.0 high revving GT engine. Nothing beats the sound of a GT3 engine climbing past 8500 revs.
Appreciate 0