BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-02-2023, 04:04 PM   #1
jocamero
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Resonator Delete: Exhaust Shop vs. Aftermarket Parts / DIY

Hi, I've gone down the rabbit hole and have read what seems like every post related to the G80 exhaust but I still have an unanswered question that I'm hoping someone can please help me with.

What is the difference paying an exhaust shop ~$300 (including parts!), to cut out the 2 resonators and replace with 2 stainless steel pipes plus an X pipe section... versus buying an aftermarket G80 specific mid pipe (from say Dinan, linked here), that start at $750, and go up to thousands of dollars, for just a mid pipe. ffs, the midpipe alone from Akrapovic is $2,500.

The mid pipe from Active Autowerke is $1,700.

Is this just a cash grab or is there a huge difference on the prefab exhaust parts?

Thanks in advance for any insight! Appreciate it. =)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 05:32 PM   #2
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Not much. But some designs sound better than others. Some are built nicer. It all really depends on how you value these things. The high cost and having to cut my OEM exhaust was too much for me. I ended up leaving mine alone and opening my exhaust vales 100% instead. Im happy enough to leave it how it is now.
CSH195928.00
      05-03-2023, 07:30 AM   #3
GTS Daddy
#Driver
Rep
Drives: '23 G80x

Quality of assembly/components, looks, sound, design. It's a new M3 for crying out loud. I would suggest against putting any basic stainless parts on that thing and at least spring for some decent shit.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 07:33 AM   #4
Allerum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M3C X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Daddy View Post
Quality of assembly/components, looks, sound, design. It's a new M3 for crying out loud. I would suggest against putting any basic stainless parts on that thing and at least spring for some decent shit.
What do you think the other midpipes are made out of? It's stainless steel with a little badge maybe. These companies just source the steel and prefab it vs fabbing it on site. If the grade of steel is the same the pipe is equal quality. Its just round metal tubes.
Appreciate 2
DO4441410.50
      05-03-2023, 10:04 AM   #5
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBII G82 6MT

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
I believe a big part of the cost is simply the R&D that goes into aftermarket exhausts. AWE for example made a 50-state emissions compliant exhaust system. With the switchpath at least, they made the exhaust drone free, louder, deeper, more refined. Besides being drone free, the other three are obviously subjective on your preferences. The equal length stuff from Valvetronic and AA were both R&D to create a version of their system where the piping and sound travel is in fact equal... and of course to make it sound good to their own sound design teams. IIRC, Remus uses a big sound treated studio to do a lot of their exhaust sound design.

I get the concern though, especially for a mid pipe. Most of these companies build an entire exhaust system, and you're buying a part of it instead of the whole set. So they just give you a price based off the whole set. The price:steel ratio is of course going to favor a muffler shop custom fab. Mid pipe alone, if the sound is good enough for you then there's nothing more to be stated. Prefab aftermarket or custom shop, as long as you like what you got with your money, that's all you can ask for.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2023, 11:01 AM   #6
meechy6ix0
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate.G82 View Post
I believe a big part of the cost is simply the R&D that goes into aftermarket exhausts. AWE for example made a 50-state emissions compliant exhaust system. With the switchpath at least, they made the exhaust drone free, louder, deeper, more refined. Besides being drone free, the other three are obviously subjective on your preferences. The equal length stuff from Valvetronic and AA were both R&D to create a version of their system where the piping and sound travel is in fact equal... and of course to make it sound good to their own sound design teams. IIRC, Remus uses a big sound treated studio to do a lot of their exhaust sound design.

I get the concern though, especially for a mid pipe. Most of these companies build an entire exhaust system, and you're buying a part of it instead of the whole set. So they just give you a price based off the whole set. The price:steel ratio is of course going to favor a muffler shop custom fab. Mid pipe alone, if the sound is good enough for you then there's nothing more to be stated. Prefab aftermarket or custom shop, as long as you like what you got with your money, that's all you can ask for.
The 50 states compliant literally just means they stop before the secondary cats. For what OP is asking for(res deletes), it’s literally just a stainless steel pipe. If you have a good local shop, there won’t be a difference.
Appreciate 2
CSH195928.00
      05-03-2023, 11:06 AM   #7
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by meechy6ix0 View Post
The 50 states compliant literally just means they stop before the secondary cats. For what OP is asking for(res deletes), it’s literally just a stainless steel pipe. If you have a good local shop, there won’t be a difference.
You are correct, which is why two sentences of my entire comment was on that. The second half is also in agreement to what you're talking about for midpipes.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2023, 11:08 AM   #8
meechy6ix0
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate.G82 View Post
You are correct, which is why two sentences of my entire comment was on that. The second half is also in agreement to what you're talking about for midpipes.
🤦‍♂️

please ignore me lol. i completely missed that paragraph
Appreciate 1
Nate.G82521.00
      05-03-2023, 01:51 PM   #9
jocamero
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Are you simply suggesting titanium over stainless steel? If so, why? Sound properties? Weight savings? It's my understanding the stock exhaust is stainless steel. It seems almost all but Akrapovic use stainless steel (hence my original question).

Except for the exhaust tips (which I'm happy with the stock BMW ones), the rest of the system is out of sight, out of mind, unlike say a motorcycle exhaust. If I bought the Akrapovic or any titanium exhaust likely only my mechanic would see the gorgeous welds that are only visible while under the car.

Or is there another benefit I'm missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Daddy View Post
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 02:18 PM   #10
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamero View Post
Are you simply suggesting titanium over stainless steel? If so, why? Sound properties? Weight savings? It's my understanding the stock exhaust is stainless steel. It seems almost all but Akrapovic use stainless steel (hence my original question).

Except for the exhaust tips (which I'm happy with the stock BMW ones), the rest of the system is out of sight, out of mind, unlike say a motorcycle exhaust. If I bought the Akrapovic or any titanium exhaust likely only my mechanic would see the gorgeous welds that are only visible while under the car.

IIRC, titanium systems offer better weight savings over steel. Already with aftermarket steel exhausts, there's some weight savings compared to stock. Titanium takes it further. And yes, they look cool but you only ever see it when you're underneath. Like most mods, it's all about how far you want to take it.

Per Valvetronics Exhaust description:
57.8 lbs Lighter than the factory exhaust (Titanium)
24.7 lbs lighter than the factory exhaust (Stainless)
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2023, 04:41 PM   #11
GTS Daddy
#Driver
Rep
Drives: '23 G80x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamero View Post

I believe you are referring to my "looks" comment which was only one out of a handful. Why do you dress the way you do? Why do you wear the underwear you do? I wear Calvin Klein trunks in various colors. I know that I am wearing purple underwear when I am in an important meeting because I want to. Nobody sees it but myself and my wife when I am changing and that is ok. I do it because I want it.

The sound is another variable as is the weight savings. The tips, the lack of the big silver can in back vs some smaller mufflers.

For me, it's all in the sound. I will be picking up the AA equal length mid-pipe because I like the way it sounds. Is it worth the $2K for me to have an different sound than what it came with from the factory, YES. It may not be worth it for you and that is also ok.

Some people go for a specific look while others have brand loyalty. Some exhaust systems claim to add more power when compared to stock.

Sure, you could get a muffler shop to add some pipes, but unless they are experts in their craft including air-flow dynamics while factoring in some acute form of sound design along with precision welds, that is mostly what you are paying for when purchasing an aftermarket exhaust and what many of us value here on car forums.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2023, 04:54 PM   #12
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

304 SS is 304 SS. A badge, higher polish level, maybe fancier couplers and that is the only difference on a simple item like res delete. I went with AWE Track because keeping the front res helps with drone, and getting rid of that monstrosity that BMW calls a muffler--even if only one pipe went through it, was important. Plus, full 3" forward of the front res. The sound was far better than stock with the valves wired fully open. But major improvement--and just keeps getting better as it seasons, now. Worth it to me. Plus, have the oem exhaust--including flap actuators, that can easily be reattached if I want to take off the AWE, assuming it can be reused on my next car.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2023, 04:29 AM   #13
CSH1959
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Not much. But some designs sound better than others. Some are built nicer. It all really depends on how you value these things. The high cost and having to cut my OEM exhaust was too much for me. I ended up leaving mine alone and opening my exhaust vales 100% instead. Im happy enough to leave it how it is now.
The mid pipes are pieces of pipe. Period. Pay as much as makes you feel good.
Appreciate 2
DO4441410.50