BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-27-2021, 11:12 AM   #1
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (G82)

First track day with G82, 6MT

Drove 4 ~20min sessions at Autobahn south track in Joliet, IL. Overall, amazing car, lots of power, very responsive, very fun. I went in telling myself I'll push the car no more than 70-80%, since I need it as a daily also and it's brand new, but couldn't hold back and definitely had fun pushing more. For context, I have a Miata track car and it was an amazing change of pace to be able to pass several Porsches rather than the other way around.

Some comments, pros and cons, in no particular order:
  • I am unfamiliar with the PS4S, but they performed well. I had to take cold pressure down to roughly 24psi in order to keep it under 33 when hot at the track.
  • The brakes work REALLY well. Coming from Miata I am used to trying to not lock up breaks with no ABS. With ABS here, when it kicks in the car STOPS. Awesome.
  • On a similar note, the brakes get HOT. I did not notice performance impact, but after the session was over the brakes were obviously hot. Normally, I say this is normal, but one guy commented saying towards the end of my session that the brakes were *glowing* as I brake hard after a straight, before a turn, and would keep glowing through the turn (no brake applied at that point). I have the carbon ceramic brakes - is glowing normal / expected? Def never saw this on Miata (totally different, I know). A bit concerned orange/red glowing brake is bad?
  • Auto rev matching on downshift works well.
  • Bucket racing seats are great, but seatbelt / seat doesn't hold you well in place under very heavy braking, especially when you need to both brake and downshift. Not a huge complaint, maybe this is often true - they're not REAL racing seats with harness, after all.
  • M Laptimer is fine and works ok. But it needs to have connection with phone. So I kept phone in my pants pocket as there is no better place to keep it - in the wireless charger in armrest (I have 6MT) the phone gets hot and overheats after some time and disconnects from the car. But after 2-3 sessions, even with the phone in my pocket it would still disconnect from the car and the Laptimer stops. This is annoying and makes it somewhat not reliable.
  • On a similar note, the HUD for 'track mode' when also wanting to enable Laptimer is a confusing UX/UI. Turning on track mode turns off the main center screen, but then you need it to start the timer....weird.
  • HUD in general for track is super neat, but I had to lower height almost to the minimum. I don't need to see speed, tacho, etc, blocking the actual track. With it lowered, only the tacho displays and is great.
  • Actually, wrt HUD, in normal road driving I think it's annoying that speed shows up at the bottom of the full HUD area, since at night you can still see the outline of the HUD border slightly. Why wouldn't they just put all info at the top of the HUD area? Anyways...
  • Car does a lot of complaining about tire pressures (at start of track session after car has cooled), knowing you were just in track mode and possibly still plan to be in track mode. Just a lot of screens to navigate and accept through.
  • Like I said, wireless charger / wireless CarPlay works poorly bc the phone heats up and eventually disconnects from the car. Annoying.

Overall, I still love the car. Eager for more performance parts, prettier tow hooks, wings, etc, whenever that becomes available. Happy the event had no incidents for me and glad I got to push the car a lot. I enjoy seeing other peoples' reactions after similar driving so I wanted to share my own.

Pic from between sessions.
Attached Images

Appreciate 11
jonahk705.00
mkoesel7525.00
mmckenzie216.50
02M3ForMe4272.00
heavyD^23688.50
Bahamut709.50
CSBM52756.00
MPoweRo428.00
Vintage380.50
      05-27-2021, 11:28 AM   #2
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Thanks for the feedback. I've spent a lot of time at Autobahn so this hits close to home for me.

This is yet another mention of tire pressure warnings that I've seen when driving these cars hard. I even created a new thread asking for more info but has anyone else see this come up and can explain why TPMS freaks out so much on these cars?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 11:29 AM   #3
M3Diaz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3/G82 M4

Sounds like you had a blast besides some of the minor setbacks. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 01:11 PM   #4
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sounds like you had a great time. Do you have any videos that you’re willing to share?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 01:16 PM   #5
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Nice review. Also congrats on the wheel/paint combo. Toronto Red looks fantastic on these cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 01:20 PM   #6
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Sounds like you had a great time. Do you have any videos that you’re willing to share?
No videos unfortunately.
  • I don't have a phone (or gopro) holder in the car because I expected to have used M Laptimer - so need to get that for next time.
  • Didn't have gopro on the exterior because I am waiting for a tow hook gopro mount for the car - but there are no tow hook aftermarket items yet and I'm uncertain about the size needed. Def won't glue those stick mounts on the exterior, or use suction cup on this car.

I have only what M Laptimer and TrackAddict apps recorded, but no video.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 01:22 PM   #7
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Sounds like a great time and a lovely spec!

The red glow sounds normal for the Carbon Ceramics. They have a higher friction coefficient generating shorter stopping distance but this in turn generates heat / glow
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #8
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post

The red glow sounds normal for the Carbon Ceramics. They have a higher friction coefficient generating shorter stopping distance but this in turn generates heat / glow
Thanks - it's my main concern so far. I didn't get to see it myself, of course. It felt obvious that the brakes were working hard. From what I have read, it also may be indication of quicker wear on the rotors. I'm sure they are fine after just one event, but something to be mindful of. This particular event was harder to do a cool down lap on (since track is always hot). I will try to remember to cool down more in paddock or something instead.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 01:42 PM   #9
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimab0 View Post
Quote:

Thanks - it's my main concern so far. I didn't get to see it myself, of course. It felt obvious that the brakes were working hard. From what I have read, it also may be indication of quicker wear on the rotors. I'm sure they are fine after just one event, but something to be mindful of. This particular event was harder to do a cool down lap on (since track is always hot). I will try to remember to cool down more in paddock or something instead.
I think the carbons should last a very long time.

Google red hot carbon ceramic brakes and you'll see all the race cars with glowing brakes with no issue. The fact that they can maintain stopping power lap after lap while red hot is what makes them attractive.

You probably need some racing brake fluid tho. I assume BMW just uses the standard stuff even with the CCB's

If you just go out and look at the brakes you can always eye ball them for excessive wear but it sounds normal to me
Appreciate 1
rideontwo189.50
      05-27-2021, 01:46 PM   #10
rideontwo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VaNOs

Wouldn't worry about the brakes. The brakes on Formula 1 cars are much more advanced than the offering here, as expected, and even their brakes glow during hard braking. High weight of the car and speed are the likely contributing factors for this.

Speaking of weight, how does this feel in comparison? Given the uber compactness of the Miata, this car likely feels like driving godzilla.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 01:57 PM   #11
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think the carbons should last a very long time.

Google red hot carbon ceramic brakes and you'll see all the race cars with glowing brakes with no issue. The fact that they can maintain stopping power lap after lap while red hot is what makes them attractive.

You probably need some racing brake fluid tho. I assume BMW just uses the standard stuff even with the CCB's

If you just go out and look at the brakes you can always eye ball them for excessive wear but it sounds normal to me
I don't notice much wear. The stock fluid I'm told is DOT 5, so I suspect it should be good enough. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 01:58 PM   #12
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideontwo View Post
Wouldn't worry about the brakes. The brakes on Formula 1 cars are much more advanced than the offering here, as expected, and even their brakes glow during hard braking. High weight of the car and speed are the likely contributing factors for this.

Speaking of weight, how does this feel in comparison? Given the uber compactness of the Miata, this car likely feels like driving godzilla.
Thanks, agree about brakes.

The weight difference is obviously massive, but so is the power difference. Despite the weight the BMW has a lot of power and pulls away like a light car may. At least my feel....
Appreciate 1
EXE462104.50
      05-27-2021, 02:16 PM   #13
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

I'm thinking of taking my car to the track once I receive it, do you recommend the track day insurance? That's the only thing that makes me nervous
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 02:25 PM   #14
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post
I'm thinking of taking my car to the track once I receive it, do you recommend the track day insurance? That's the only thing that makes me nervous
I think it depends on what your experience level is. I did get a quote for the insurance, but it was $1000 roughly and only paid out in the case that there is an accident (they didn't cover everything).

I planned to only drive it to 70% of my limit, and despite going beyond that, I didn't push as hard as I do with Miata. It's a brand new car though and things *shouldn't* break and go wrong. Just don't hit other cars or spin off the track into a wall? My track has plenty of grass runoff before any walls, so maybe I wasn't risking as much.
Appreciate 1
Nkr151124.50
      05-27-2021, 02:59 PM   #15
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Quote:
I think it depends on what your experience level is. I did get a quote for the insurance, but it was $1000 roughly and only paid out in the case that there is an accident (they didn't cover everything).

I planned to only drive it to 70% of my limit, and despite going beyond that, I didn't push as hard as I do with Miata. It's a brand new car though and things *shouldn't* break and go wrong. Just don't hit other cars or spin off the track into a wall? My track has plenty of grass runoff before any walls, so maybe I wasn't risking as much.
Yeah I don't really plan on pushing it hard at all initially. Was more so worried of someone else hitting me or an oil spill or something. But this gives me confidence! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 05:37 PM   #16
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I don't really plan on pushing it hard at all initially. Was more so worried of someone else hitting me or an oil spill or something. But this gives me confidence! Thanks
Get some track tuition from an instructor. Best bang for buck 'mod' money can buy and will help keep you out of the gravel traps!
Appreciate 1
Nkr151124.50
      05-27-2021, 07:36 PM   #17
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

Great write up. Love Autobahn, should have joined in the early days when it was affordable.

As for reducing the sliding around I use CG locks on the stock belts. Works great. Looks like they may be discontinued. If anyone knows of an alternative please let us know.

https://store.racerdirect.net/catalo...gaAuVfEALw_wcB
Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 10:05 AM   #18
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
I don't notice much wear. The stock fluid I'm told is DOT 5, so I suspect it should be good enough. Thanks again.
I doubt that it's DOT 5, that's some nasty stuff. But yes, fresh racing fluid (higher boiling point) should always be done before a track day, even in a new car.

Quote:
It makes me nervous too. I had it for last day, didn't need it, but that was in a car that was worth less than half of what the M4 is. There is still a 10% (or 15%) deductible, and it ain't cheap. But there is some peace of mind, although honestly, I usually run without it. Because 7/10ths. OK 8.

These cars are so freakin' fast, and bad things can happen before you know it, that it opens up some serious risk. I guess the one good thing about these new-fangled electric steering systems is that we won't have to worry about power steering fluid getting dumped on the track, like the E36 liked to do.

Quote:
Wouldn't worry about the brakes. The brakes on Formula 1 cars are much more advanced than the offering here, as expected, and even their brakes glow during hard braking.
Brakes are nothing more than a mechanism for turning energy (momentum) into heat. Better brakes dissipate the heat quicker, so it totally makes sense for them to get bright cherry red.

Glad to read that the OP had a good time with no issues. I've run the PS4 on another car (domestic ) and I kept the pressures rather high... interesting that you're running them so low. What's the logic there? They're not really race tires.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 10:32 AM   #19
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
I doubt that it's DOT 5, that's some nasty stuff. But yes, fresh racing fluid (higher boiling point) should always be done before a track day, even in a new car.

It makes me nervous too. I had it for last day, didn't need it, but that was in a car that was worth less than half of what the M4 is. There is still a 10% (or 15%) deductible, and it ain't cheap. But there is some peace of mind, although honestly, I usually run without it. Because 7/10ths. OK 8.

These cars are so freakin' fast, and bad things can happen before you know it, that it opens up some serious risk. I guess the one good thing about these new-fangled electric steering systems is that we won't have to worry about power steering fluid getting dumped on the track, like the E36 liked to do.

Brakes are nothing more than a mechanism for turning energy (momentum) into heat. Better brakes dissipate the heat quicker, so it totally makes sense for them to get bright cherry red.

Glad to read that the OP had a good time with no issues. I've run the PS4 on another car (domestic ) and I kept the pressures rather high... interesting that you're running them so low. What's the logic there? They're not really race tires.
The star spec PS4S have a stiffer sidewall than the equivalent non star PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 10:42 AM   #20
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Carbon ceramic brakes will glow when used hard so totally normal. But also very unhealthy for them. They don't last very long when you take them over oxidising temperatures. Most super car owners will switch to steel brakes for circuit use to stop destroying the CCB. Counterintuitive I know.

Sounds like you had fun though.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 11:08 AM   #21
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Wouldn't worry about the brakes. The brakes on Formula 1 cars are much more advanced than the offering here, as expected, and even their brakes glow during hard braking.

You're right, I'm not certain what brake fluid the G82 comes with. I asked at break in service if they would bleed the brake fluid, they said it was definitely already track ready.

As for tires, I aimed to keep them close to 32-35 range while in the middle or end of my session on track. That seemed to wear the tires nearly towards the sidewall. I had to deflate in order to keep that range throughout the day. My only feedback was that the traction felt marginally worse at the end of the session with higher tire temp and pressure.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 11:14 AM   #22
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Carbon ceramic brakes will glow when used hard so totally normal. But also very unhealthy for them. They don't last very long when you take them over oxidising temperatures. Most super car owners will switch to steel brakes for circuit use to stop destroying the CCB. Counterintuitive I know.

Sounds like you had fun though.
I have heard this also. But to me it is very weird to have carbon ceramic brakes if I will not use them on the track. What else are they supposed to be for?
Appreciate 0