BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-01-2021, 09:33 PM   #89
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
I definitely appreciate the grip and stability of AWD, but I feel more rewarded at the same cornering speeds with a manual transmission and a RWD setup. Considering the new car options of today, the g80 is quite the compelling option to get
When has BMW, ever, made a good driver's car in AWD? They are notorious for making some of the absolute worst, dead-feeling AWD cars. Maybe they'll turn it around, but honestly...the xDrive cars are pretty heinous as a driving experience compared to the RWD models.

AFAIAC - BMW has a pretty tall order in front of them here. The F8x had a long list of issues and the powertrain wasn't one of them. They have a lot to prove in this G80/G82 car and I don't trust them to finally nail AWD ---and--- fix all the joy-sapping problems of the last car.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 09:50 PM   #90
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
Quote:
I definitely appreciate the grip and stability of AWD, but I feel more rewarded at the same cornering speeds with a manual transmission and a RWD setup. Considering the new car options of today, the g80 is quite the compelling option to get
When has BMW, ever, made a good driver's car in AWD? They are notorious for making some of the absolute worst, dead-feeling AWD cars. Maybe they'll turn it around, but honestly...the xDrive cars are pretty heinous as a driving experience compared to the RWD models.

AFAIAC - BMW has a pretty tall order in front of them here. The F8x had a long list of issues and the powertrain wasn't one of them. They have a lot to prove in this G80/G82 car and I don't trust them to finally nail AWD ---and--- fix all the joy-sapping problems of the last car.
No joy sapped for me. It is a far more joyous car to me than the E9X was. I dunno what it was about the E9X, but I was just never really that into it despite owning a sedan and two coupes.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 10:15 PM   #91
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

I dont get the pricing structure for this car... the difference between the manual non-comp and auto with-comp is about $2k.

Where's the big value of going to a manual less powerful car.. I don't see one. You're not saving much if at all, so might as well option the car out with the go fast goodies and pay the money now.

BMW should of just done a competition model with option for auto or stick.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 10:19 PM   #92
dr_frankfurter
non-essential
Rep
Drives: '21 330i

Quote:

We live in a world where people need to activate drift mode to avoid crashing on a wide open track. AWD in performance cars is a 0-60 numbers game and "look what I can do" electronics. As safety and tech increases, driving abilities plummet. Skill be damned, fattening a car up with AWD for the sake of "better grip" and electronic drift controls will boost sales.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 10:37 PM   #93
Yas_sir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
I dont get the pricing structure for this car... the difference between the manual non-comp and auto with-comp is about $2k.

Where's the big value of going to a manual less powerful car.. I don't see one. You're not saving much if at all, so might as well option the car out with the go fast goodies and pay the money now.

Apparently the MT couldn't handle the extra power in the comp (which i call bull on btw), so that's why there are two trims.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 10:55 PM   #94
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Quote:
Wait - you said that about the Model S?

My reaction was quite different - I thought it was (and still is) the absolutely lowest quality car I have ever sat in and driven that isn't an economy car/rental car.
..If anything stops Tesla it will be build quality. I have a hunch this will not last for long though
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 11:30 PM   #95
Bahamut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

Should've been more clear, but I wasn't referring to my experience with BMW AWD. I'm talking with backroad and track time with your tuner cars such as the STi, Evo 9, and the R35 GT-R. In fact, I've never driven an AWD variant from BMW.

My main point was that among today's new car offerings with a manual transmission and a RWD setup, the G80 is a solid option!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25095.50
      03-01-2021, 11:47 PM   #96
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:

My reaction was quite different - I thought it was (and still is) the absolutely lowest quality car I have ever sat in and driven that isn't an economy car/rental car.
I did, the engineering seemed ahead of everyone in terms of BEVs, it felt revolutionary and still is ahead in some ways I guess. Other American cars are in another decade than the Germans.

I didn’t say I wanted one.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 12:14 AM   #97
luxlicht
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, 330i xDrive Touring

Hi, the video is not available as marked "private" :-(
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 12:29 AM   #98
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlicht View Post
Hi, the video is not available as marked "private" :-(
Apparently BMW put an embargo on them for awhile.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 12:39 AM   #99
siberius
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40i

Quote:

I completely agree. Worst car for that kind of money. Only americans can buy this and be convinced that this is a well built car with prestige elements. Exterior is outdated already, interior was never good from the start. When i drove in MODEL 3 i had a feeling its a poor man choice. Sure electric motor pulls hard but any brand can offer this, chevrolet, vw, kia and all of those producers look like a alien technology if you compare to Teslas.. ugliest product in the car history ever. Stocks are not high because of high sales but because all of the investors. This brand was made only with the goal to revive american car industry and to become market leader like IPHONE but unfortunately cars are not applications and not phones, so you cant make a good car with good marketing only.
Appreciate 2
manuelf352.00
ASAP10159.00
      03-02-2021, 12:53 AM   #100
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post

I agree that BMW should have given the option to get a manual with the same power as the auto as they did with the F80. With that said, most manual buyers just care about there being a manual option. I personally couldn't care less if they charged the same price for manual vs. auto or manual vs. DCT. I'd still pick the manual.

It is a kick in the nuts though to have less power. But realistically, the manual was never going to be anywhere close to as fast/quick as the auto anyway so a few less hp won't make much of a difference.

Ultimately, for the performance minded, they will tune it and, just as with the F8x, once you go down that route, it doesn't really matter whether you started w/ a civic or competition model.
Appreciate 1
Frosty780.00
      03-02-2021, 01:12 AM   #101
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I think it sounds great fake or not totally different to the S58 in my X3M but in a good way, it sounded like a 5 cylinder warble to me in the video which was cool.
It sounds 95 % ASD from inside the cabin i can tell u that. I could live with this sound in my M2 like for a week and then i had it disconnected plus new exhaust plus windows open.... mandatory on modern bmw imo.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 01:13 AM   #102
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
No joy sapped for me. It is a far more joyous car to me than the E9X was. I dunno what it was about the E9X, but I was just never really that into it despite owning a sedan and two coupes.
You needed to go through ownership of not one, but three E9x's to realise that they weren't for you?

I suppose it depends on what makes you find the F8x joyous. If it's the turbo power delivery, then certainly the F8x and G8x are up your alley, even if the G8x shapes up to be completely lifeless where your hands and feet are supposed to go! The E9x wasn't for everyone IMO and that becomes obvious as soon as you start plodding around town in one (they are basically gutless compared to all the turbocharged and diesel grocery getters that have 2 pedals and loads of instant torque haha).

Does anyone here specifcally know what manual box the G8x comes with? I've been wondering for quite some time if BMW are still using the 6 speed box from the N55/1M/S55 era, or if they've developed something new, which would be very interesting
6MT swapped | Xtreme twin disk & SMF | Advan RSII | ST XTA | F82 M4 heated front seats | BMW Individual interior trims | CIC/Combox retrofits | Custom headlights | 1M/M3 mirrors | 335is auxiliary radiator | LCI tails
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 01:50 AM   #103
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzx_andy View Post
Quote:
You needed to go through ownership of not one, but three E9x's to realise that they weren't for you?

I suppose it depends on what makes you find the F8x joyous. If it's the turbo power delivery, then certainly the F8x and G8x are up your alley, even if the G8x shapes up to be completely lifeless where your hands and feet are supposed to go! The E9x wasn't for everyone IMO and that becomes obvious as soon as you start plodding around town in one (they are basically gutless compared to all the turbocharged and diesel grocery getters that have 2 pedals and loads of instant torque haha).

Does anyone here specifcally know what manual box the G8x comes with? I've been wondering for quite some time if BMW are still using the 6 speed box from the N55/1M/S55 era, or if they've developed something new, which would be very interesting
No, I just change cars often. The first was a sedan, the second was a regular coupe and the third was a ZCP coupe. Like most M owners, we change cars for stupid reasons (..e.g LCI, etc.)........or just because we can (...in my case, one of my best friends has been the sales manager at two very prominent BMW dealerships in SoCal, so he has made it very easy for me to cycle through BMW's often). Many of us have owned multiple versions of the same models. In my case I loved my E46's, liked my E9X's and loved my F8X's.

Your question about the transmission was answered in BMW's recent transmission video. It's a modified and beefed up version of the transmission used in the F8X.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 01:55 AM   #104
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Not even in the same galaxy with regards to price.
The G8x with loaded options ceramic brakes is closer to $100K in that case I would go with GT4.

https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...4tb6wr/summary

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 01:58 AM   #105
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
Quote:
Not even in the same galaxy with regards to price.
The G8x with loaded options ceramic brakes is closer to $100K in that case I would go with GT4.

https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...4tb6wr/summary
Yeah, and a GT4 with similar options will be in another galaxy, all while offering the utility of a bicycle with a basket attached to the handlebars. That said, the GT cars are great, but the comparisons aren't fitting.
Appreciate 3
Dr.Deep1827.00
E92M3GT101.00
SYT_Shadow11485.50
      03-02-2021, 02:10 AM   #106
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Yeah, and a GT4 with similar options will be in another galaxy, all while offering the utility of a bicycle with a basket attached to the handlebars. That said, the GT cars are great, but the comparisons aren't fitting.
With the GT4 you still can order a MT where the G8x comp is only available in 8spd ZF DCT is EOL.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 02:18 AM   #107
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Shouldn't you have gotten 1 Porsche instead of the 3? Sure looks like you prefer a Porsche.
      03-02-2021, 02:24 AM   #108
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
Quote:
With the GT4 you still can order a MT where the G8x comp is only available in 8spd ZF DCT is EOL.
I get that, but they are in two different worlds equally spec'd. I've built out GT4's and GT3's.....and even Carrera S's and you start reaching stratospheric numbers very quickly. I think BMW definitely dropped the ball not offering the Comp with 6MT, but people are gonna mod anyway, so I suppose the aftermarket will fill that gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Quote:
Shouldn't you have gotten 1 Porsche instead of the 3? Sure looks like you prefer a Porsche.
I sure do, but a GT3 is currently out of my range in terms of price and cost of maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 05:24 AM   #109
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
They've not appealing cars on any level. We do many things well in this country but building performance cars capable of turning at speeds in excess of 60 mph isn't one of them.
I remember when I inspected one of the first produced Tesla Model S and wrote here that it's the only modern American car I felt we can be truly proud over. I just wish I had trusted my gut and spent all my cash on the stock
You and me both....I did buy Square at $23 after every diner and bodega in NYC suddenly started using their products to swipe credit cards.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 05:26 AM   #110
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Thanks OP. I get to drive one in about 10 days time. I saw them in the metal a few months ago and they look very striking. I am not likely to buy one as I like a smaller car but I can really appreciate what they are all about and intrigued.

Weird thing is I have been watching some old top gear episodes recently as they suddenly appeared on Prime. I've been watching the outrage and horror of the "hideous" Bangle designed cars that were pushing boundaries way too far for BMW owners. All sorts of comments on how ugly the styling was. Look back now and they are really quite nice and still look good today. The e60 M5 and e9x M3 are glorious.

It's not anything new for BMW to re-invent themselves. Hindsight may show that the F80 M3 was a conservative period of design.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25095.50