BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #23
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

RWD for me as well, I have never owned an AWD vehicle and living in South Florida I see no need for one since I am not buying an SUV. My current M340i is RWD and I have zero regrets. These cars are already heavy as is, no need to add that extra mass to gain a few seconds, for my needs it makes zero sense.
      12-22-2020, 12:44 PM   #24
ShiftingG82
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4, 6 speed manual

I have no choice but to take RWD. The M4 and the M2 are the only BMW models that offer a manual. I wish the M8 or even the M5 had a manual. Tbh I feel kind of limited with the options BMW has for manuals in the M category.

For anyone that had a RWD M4 F82 and lived in NYC can you tell me how the experience is with a RWD sports car during the winter? Do I need to look into a 4x4 super beater or good winter tires with an intermediate driving experience level, I could manage well? I'm buying this G82 so its going to be with me for 7+ years.

P.S: I'm moving from a X drive X5 to a RWD M4 G82.
Appreciate 2
      12-22-2020, 12:51 PM   #25
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Model S P100D

Garage List
I haven't placed an order or anything but plan to purchase late next year or early '22.

I am truly torn, I have only ever owned MT cars, and I love my current 6MT xdrive.

I'm waiting for some professional driving reviews to come out for the 6MT RWD and 8AT AWD variants to make my final decision since it's not looking likely that BMW will release the G series AWD with the manual.

Vancouver doesn't get much snow so I could go either way but I love the traction I have in my current car from a dig (re: stoplight)
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 01:07 PM   #26
ItsABlueG82
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (G82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Enthusiast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsABlueG82 View Post
Congratulations!! So I've gone back and forth on this as well:

I recently put in an order for an M4C with anticipated delivery in April. After going back-and-forth and back-and-forth, I decided to stay with RWD. Reason being is this:

1. Plain and simple and most importantly - I think RWD vehicles are more fun to drive. They are more of a drivers car in my opinion. I've driven several AWD vehicles in my life, and recently an M440i. The grip was amazing and it was crazy quick, but here's the thing, it wasn't as fun. The car did more of the driving than I did and I felt that it took away from the experience of owning an M series BMW.

2. I could honestly care less about 0 - 60 times, I figured that 0.1 sec of a difference isn't really going to make that much of a difference in my life. Moreover, beating some random guy in some random car next to me off the line isn't really going to do anything for me either. Now if that's your thing, more power to you and I would go AWD.

3. The reason why I fell in love with M series BMWs in the first place is because they are our RWD. If I wanted a ridiculously fast AWD car I would have gone for a Porsche or Nissan GTR years ago.

4. I don't live in the world of the fast and the furious. I'm not street racing. I don't need to take corners 1,000,000 mph and I don't care to.

5. I will never drive the car in winter. Plain and simple. I live in Colorado and the last thing I will do is take it out when there's any precipitation on the ground. This is my Sunday going to meeting car so to speak.

I'm buying the car to have fun driving and I love BMWs. Not to be the fastest, not to smoke people, not to be in the fast and the furious.

BUT if you drive in winter and want to smoke people off the line, get AWD.

Hope this helps!! Enjoy!!!
Thank you I am also staying with RWD I only had experienced the M3 E92 and this was pure fun, so I guess G82 with RWD will do the same, even better

But sure AWD will be a great experience, too.
Well the good news is that no matter what, you're making a good decision. Either way it's going to be an amazing machine that you're going to love!! There's no bad choice here
Appreciate 2
      12-22-2020, 01:58 PM   #27
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

Quote:

I recently put in an order for an M4C with anticipated delivery in April. After going back-and-forth and back-and-forth, I decided to stay with RWD. Reason being is this:

1. Plain and simple and most importantly - I think RWD vehicles are more fun to drive. They are more of a drivers car in my opinion. I've driven several AWD vehicles in my life, and recently an M440i. The grip was amazing and it was crazy quick, but here's the thing, it wasn't as fun. The car did more of the driving than I did and I felt that it took away from the experience of owning an M series BMW.

2. I could honestly care less about 0 - 60 times, I figured that 0.1 sec of a difference isn't really going to make that much of a difference in my life. Moreover, beating some random guy in some random car next to me off the line isn't really going to do anything for me either. Now if that's your thing, more power to you and I would go AWD.

3. The reason why I fell in love with M series BMWs in the first place is because they are our RWD. If I wanted a ridiculously fast AWD car I would have gone for a Porsche or Nissan GTR years ago.

4. I don't live in the world of the fast and the furious. I'm not street racing. I don't need to take corners 1,000,000 mph and I don't care to.

5. I will never drive the car in winter. Plain and simple. I live in Colorado and the last thing I will do is take it out when there's any precipitation on the ground. This is my Sunday going to meeting car so to speak.

I'm buying the car to have fun driving and I love BMWs. Not to be the fastest, not to smoke people, not to be in the fast and the furious.

Good thought process

I know you only threw 0.1 sec difference in 0-60mph time out there as an example that this aspect doesn't mean much to you, and we really don't know what BMW is going to list as the AWD 0-60 time, but I believe the real-life difference in 0-60 on a typical street surface will be at least 0.3 sec if the conditions allow the RWD car to take-off well, and can be over 1.0 sec on a wet or dusty surface.

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 2
      12-22-2020, 02:05 PM   #28
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Prior to my two F80's, I was an Audi guy from 1999-2016. I had several S4's and RS4's. When Audi stopped making manual transmissions, they lost me as a customer for life.

I joined the BMW family with a 2016 F80 and did my absolute best to familiarize myself with the brand. I was fortunate to have many of our knowledgeable members as a wealth of information to tap into. I had driven an E46 many times but never owner a BMW.

After 6 Audi's, all of which were quattro, I have to say that RWD is 50-60% more fun to drive. Speed means nothing to me, especially since I am a 6MT driver. I also track my cars and love the challenge of driving 6MT on track.

Had BMW offered a 6MT in AWD i would have stuck with RWD for the fun and the weight reduction.

I run snow tires from november to april and I am an avid skiier. I have never had trouble getting to my condo at the top of the mountain in maine in a RWD F80 with Michelin Alpins, so the "bad weather" argument in favor of AWD does nothing for me.

Straight-line speed is the least important thing for me. The connection to the car with RWD and 6MT is all I ask for.
Appreciate 2
      12-22-2020, 02:26 PM   #29
ferrix924
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3C xDrive

AWD because you can always put it in RWD mode if you really want to. Way more practical for a daily drive and like everyone has said, better grip off of a full stop.
Appreciate 2
      12-22-2020, 02:40 PM   #30
ItsABlueG82
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (G82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-SP0RT View Post
Quote:

Good thought process

I know you only threw 0.1 sec difference in 0-60mph time out there as an example that this aspect doesn't mean much to you, and we really don't know what BMW is going to list as the AWD 0-60 time, but I believe the real-life difference in 0-60 on a typical street surface will be at least 0.3 sec if the conditions allow the RWD car to take-off well, and can be over 1.0 sec on a wet or dusty surface.
Why thank you!!

And no doubt, I totally for you. I know I wasn't in the ball with 0.1. I guess I was just saying that 0-60 isn't a priority for me, but I totally understand that it is for some folks.

That car is going to have some amazing grip with AWD and I'm looking forward to seeing what people do with it!
Appreciate 1
M3AWD3178.00
      12-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #31
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

AWD. It will be faster everywhere in every weather except in straight line rolls at higher speeds.
Once comparable track times are out with RWD vs AWD cars I’ll be shocked if the RWD is faster on any track even including tracks with long high speed sections as the ring. That extra push out of every corner adds up unless we’re talking CSL type of editions where huge aero can possibly make up for it.

Just look at a racing serie were a manufacturer added AWD. Total domination that resulted in penalties and then bans or everyone followed.

You lose the purity but it’s not like the steering is a marvel of undiluted feedback...

Last edited by solstice; 12-22-2020 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 3
xlover2191.00
themnmd1687.00
      12-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #32
ShiftingG82
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4, 6 speed manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Prior to my two F80's, I was an Audi guy from 1999-2016. I had several S4's and RS4's. When Audi stopped making manual transmissions, they lost me as a customer for life.

I joined the BMW family with a 2016 F80 and did my absolute best to familiarize myself with the brand. I was fortunate to have many of our knowledgeable members as a wealth of information to tap into. I had driven an E46 many times but never owner a BMW.

After 6 Audi's, all of which were quattro, I have to say that RWD is 50-60% more fun to drive. Speed means nothing to me, especially since I am a 6MT driver. I also track my cars and love the challenge of driving 6MT on track.

Had BMW offered a 6MT in AWD i would have stuck with RWD for the fun and the weight reduction.

I run snow tires from november to april and I am an avid skiier. I have never had trouble getting to my condo at the top of the mountain in maine in a RWD F80 with Michelin Alpins, so the "bad weather" argument in favor of AWD does nothing for me.

Straight-line speed is the least important thing for me. The connection to the car with RWD and 6MT is all I ask for.
Great information, this made my mind clear when it comes to winter driving on the G82 RWD manual. I was being concerned about NYC winters since I'm coming from an xdrive x5, but you just mentioned Maine and said it was fine. I went to hike in Katahdin so I know that Maine is a different animal when it comes to winter and snow.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2020, 04:35 PM   #33
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
From a dig, AWD will be faster, without a doubt. However, from a roll, good chances are the RWD will be faster due to the added weight and drivetrain loss/inertia of the AWD. Around a dry track, RWD will likely also have an edge due that lower weight and better weight distribution.

That being said, I would say that AWD is the better option for a daily driver as the added weight will not be perceptible at sane public road speeds and will be more than offset by the practicality of the added traction.
If you have faith that tuning will happen for these cars, I would go AWD 100%. If you want to be fast from a dig and rolling, it's the way to roll. I wish I could take anyone for a ride in my GTR who is on the fence about this issue. Break boosting or Rolling launch is Insane in my car. 40-50 roll hit the button and you OUT!! Dead hooks on R888's. My buddy has A ZR1 and it's a fun ass car to drive, just always on egg shells with the traction. You can def tune in boost by gear to help with that for sure. For me though, I like full power with no spinning. Or very little spinning
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2020, 04:47 PM   #34
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I run snow tires from november to april and I am an avid skiier. I have never had trouble getting to my condo at the top of the mountain in maine in a RWD F80 with Michelin Alpins
Sorry for going off-topic for this comment but is that Latitude Alpin? I’m on the fence between Latitude Alpin and X-Ice for our Cayenne. As you I’m an avid skier and I venture to backcountry access roads where the traction of All-seasons can get a bit sketchy after heavy snow falls even with the rear diff and AWD transfer case locked.

I’m leaning X-Ice due to the square edges providing a better cut through deep snow but the Alpins better road manner on clear roads is tempting. How do you rate the Alpins in a foot of new snow?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 04:55 PM   #35
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
AWD. It will be faster everywhere in every weather except in straight line rolls at higher speeds.
Once comparable track times are out with RWD vs AWD cars I’ll be shocked if the RWD is faster on any track even including tracks with long high speed sections as the ring. That extra push out of every corner adds up unless we’re talking CSL type of editions where huge aero can possibly make up for it.

Just look at a racing serie were a manufacturer added AWD. Total domination that resulted in penalties and then bans or everyone followed.

You lose the purity but it’s not like the steering is a marvel of undiluted feedback...
I am indeed eager to find out about RWD vs AWD lap times for the G8X. There are not many cars out there that allow for a direct comparison between the two. The only one that I can think of is the 911. Having compared some lap time from reliable journalistic sources for different generations (991.1/991.2/992), I found the the 2WD versions to be consistently faster (I was debating between a 992-S vs a 992-4S at some point).

Once shod with proper track tires, traction is not really an issue with my RWD M4, where I can pretty much floor it at the apex of most corners. Maybe it will be different for the G8X, we'll see soon enough.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
EXE462097.00
      12-22-2020, 04:57 PM   #36
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
If you have faith that tuning will happen for these cars, I would go AWD 100%. If you want to be fast from a dig and rolling, it's the way to roll. I wish I could take anyone for a ride in my GTR who is on the fence about this issue. Break boosting or Rolling launch is Insane in my car. 40-50 roll hit the button and you OUT!! Dead hooks on R888's. My buddy has A ZR1 and it's a fun ass car to drive, just always on egg shells with the traction. You can def tune in boost by gear to help with that for sure. For me though, I like full power with no spinning. Or very little spinning
I could not care less about tuning. My comment was for stock cars.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
      12-22-2020, 04:59 PM   #37
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I am indeed eager to find out about RWD vs AWD lap times for the G8X. There are not many cars out there that allow for a direct comparison between the two. The only one that I can think of is the 911. Having compared some lap time from reliable journalistic sources for different generations (991.1/991.2/992), I found the the 2WD versions to be consistently faster (I was debating between a 992-S vs a 992-4S at some point).

Once shod with proper track tires, traction is not really an issue with my RWD M4, where I can pretty much floor it at the apex of most corners. Maybe it will be different for the G8X, we'll see soon enough.
Indeed, especially since the 911 is a poor reference due to having the engine on top of the rear axle and together with +300mm wide rear tires it doesn’t benefit nearly as much from AWD, it already has beastly traction.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2020, 05:03 PM   #38
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Indeed, especially since the 911 is a poor reference due to having the engine on top of the rear axle and together with +300mm wide rear tires it doesn’t benefit nearly as much from AWD, it already has beastly traction.
It's funny how a chassis layout that is supposed to be so wrong has so many great things going for it .

But like I said, I never felt like I needed more traction on track with my M4. Maybe it's going to be different with the nose heavy G8X

Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      12-22-2020, 05:08 PM   #39
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It's funny how a chassis layout that is supposed to be so wrong has so many great things going for it .

But like I said, I never felt like I needed more traction on track with my M4. Maybe it's going to be different with the nose heavy G8X
Agreed, it’s such a fun layout. My dad and I used to race our tuned VW 1303S on frozen lakes back in the old country. It was part of him teaching me drive. Good times.
Appreciate 2
      12-22-2020, 05:17 PM   #40
Habber
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
RWD (thank you global warming)
Appreciate 2
EXE462097.00
      12-22-2020, 06:41 PM   #41
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

AWD. In California, the Highway Patrol requires chains or AWD to pass when there is any snow. I only have one car. Chains don't fit. My big decision is whether to wait for AWD or to order the 6MT (no AWD option). There is no perfect answer
Appreciate 2
      12-23-2020, 10:54 AM   #42
M-Enthusiast
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 320d M (G20) M4 Comp RWD (G82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak299 View Post
AWD. In California, the Highway Patrol requires chains or AWD to pass when there is any snow. I only have one car. Chains don't fit. My big decision is whether to wait for AWD or to order the 6MT (no AWD option). There is no perfect answer
You will get a great car regardless I am team RWD for now
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #43
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Model S P100D

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I run snow tires from november to april and I am an avid skiier. I have never had trouble getting to my condo at the top of the mountain in maine in a RWD F80 with Michelin Alpins
Sorry for going off-topic for this comment but is that Latitude Alpin? I'm on the fence between Latitude Alpin and X-Ice for our Cayenne. As you I'm an avid skier and I venture to backcountry access roads where the traction of All-seasons can get a bit sketchy after heavy snow falls even with the rear diff and AWD transfer case locked.

I'm leaning X-Ice due to the square edges providing a better cut through deep snow but the Alpins better road manner on clear roads is tempting. How do you rate the Alpins in a foot of new snow?
I think he was referring to the pilot alpin pa4 tires. I have them as well and they are fantastic. I don't know if they come in SUV sizes though
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      12-23-2020, 12:07 PM   #44
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

I would have preferred Xdrive/6MT since My Golf R is the dedicated ski vehicle, even with a 4runner in the stable.

Sporty car in snow = a track day for me, so much fun.

But, no manual, so I would have to get a RWD/6MT.
Appreciate 0