BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-23-2020, 02:11 AM   #23
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMash View Post
Really?? my offer for Marina Bay Blue (almost the same as San Marino Blue, but not this slight purple touch) was "just" 1000 EUR more than for example Tansanit Blue.

Which color did you chose?
huh? really ? Well maybe Marina Bay is cheaper as it is "still used" for the m8 I guess.

At the moment i'm on Green...but I am still not sure as I have the feeling that I won't like the color in 1 or 2 years...other option is frozen dark grey or black (with black you never do anything wrong, it's just...boring )

Last edited by Scorp!on; 12-23-2020 at 02:13 AM.. Reason: wrong color
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 04:55 AM   #24
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JLT- View Post
neither ... paint it yellow (or get ceramic brakes like that M8 pic you showed)
Thank you for your time and your oppinion @-JLT-. But as I wrote, the additional 8K EUR for brakes, which i never really use like for what they were built for, are not an option.

And paint them is not allowed -> leasing.
I've painted my calipers on my last and current rides Brembo yellow, both leased cars. u shouldn't have a problem with painted calipers on lease returns.
Attached Images

12-23-2020, 05:08 AM   #25
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

-JLT-
looks awesome ! I love Yellow calipers, wonder if it fits with IOMG...

Anyway, your car is hell of low! don't you have issues with that?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 05:14 AM   #26
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
-JLT-
looks awesome ! I love Yellow calipers, wonder if it fits with IOMG...

Anyway, your car is hell of low! don't you have issues with that?
not Brembo yellow but used the ceramic brakes to get an idea of how it will look
Attached Images

12-23-2020, 05:38 AM   #27
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
not Brembo yellow but used the ceramic brakes to get an idea of how it will look
love it !! thank you !!! will get the stock blue and paint it (if i'm allowed to, leasing.. )
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 07:06 AM   #28
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
I asked to have San Marino Blue....7'200 CHF.
i'll pass...too much, way too much.
What??? They are crazy.
At the moment I'm on tanzanite blue, it's a wonderful color but a little too "elegant", I wanted something brighter but I'm not a fan of Portimao blue. Marina bay and San Marino are both beautiful, but I don't want to pay the extra fee for a regular color.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 09:24 AM   #29
Habber
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
I try so hard to match car colours with wheel colours so that the look flows nicely to the eye.

I never quite understood why highlighting brake calipers with different colours made the cars look nicer.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 09:32 AM   #30
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Colors of my favorite football team

(had to seeing your location)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 09:41 AM   #31
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
Quote:
Colors of my favorite football team

(had to seeing your location)
:
      12-23-2020, 03:45 PM   #32
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
I never quite understood why highlighting brake calipers with different colours made the cars look nicer.
My brother in law has a wheel repair and powdercoating business. They started painting calipers a year or so ago and the demand has been crazy!

People love a colorful set of brake calipers behind their wheels. It just gives the car that extra pop. Just look at the yellow painted calipers a few posts up. In my opinion they make the car more special & unique. If that doesn't appeal to you then it's simply different people with different preferences

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1510.00
      12-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #33
BMWCAT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E39, F90

Go with the gold CCB!
Very compliant for daily driving. And almost never any brake dust on the wheel! Got it and now a believer. Keeping the wheels without brown brake dusts, and minimal cleaning effort is worth it IMO. Any other benefits are icing on the cake!
Plus you’ve mentioned you’re leasing? That’s even better since you’re not paying the whole 8,000. Just a portion of it you use/depreciate!
Pic as shown Marina Bay Blue + gold
Attached Images

12-24-2020, 01:56 AM   #34
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
I appreciate that BMW finally makes us choose the color of the brake calipers since they decided years ago to paint them blue, which hardly match almost any body color (only white and black don't look odd to my eyes with the blue calipers). The main reason I chose the big brakes on my M2 Competition was to avoid those awful blue calipers (that easily turn to green after a hard use).
Maybe now Bmw realized that - for example - a red car with blue calipers is an eyesore
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2020, 09:23 AM   #35
amzbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 comp San Marino Status 112

Quote:
Really?? my offer for Marina Bay Blue (almost the same as San Marino Blue, but not this slight purple touch) was "just" 1000 EUR more than for example Tansanit Blue.

Which color did you chose?
I didn't realize there was such a variation in prices for the individual paint. I wonder if we can get San Marino blue without paying the full $5k we usually do for pain in the US.

Did anyone else try to get San Marino blue?
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #36
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amzbimmer View Post
I didn't realize there was such a variation in prices for the individual paint. I wonder if we can get San Marino blue without paying the full $5k we usually do for pain in the US.

Did anyone else try to get San Marino blue?
yes like I said 7'200 CHF

I guess Marina Blue is cheaper as it is already used for some other models, san marino blue is no basic option on any of the cars...

but maybe in the US it is cheaper, try to ask your dealer !
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2020, 12:45 PM   #37
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Here are some things to consider.
1. Brake dust. With brake dust, the caliper will also be coated in it and you will have to wash it when you wash your car, it's an extra step, but something to be aware of. If you don't like taking the time to wash the caliper, go with the black brakes.
2. Clashing. Blue on Blue would be okay if the blues were the same hue. If the two blues were different hues, it would stand out and could drive you crazy depending on how attentive you detail you are.
3. Caliper size. The rear calipers on these cars is embarrassingly small. Like, it literally looks like an afterthought. Almost like they ran out of money and threw in the same caliper off of like a 4 cylinder X1 or something. If you were to choose the Red, it would stand out. Going with black would blend it in.

I personally always liked the look of Red calipers on sports cars. Hell, I even think they look great on my wife's GTI.
Just some food for thought.
VIERsr2620.50
Scorp!on1510.00
      12-27-2020, 04:00 AM   #38
MblueDabadee
BMW G80 M3 in MBB
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80

Quote:

I guess Marina Blue is cheaper as it is already used for some other models, san marino blue is no basic option on any of the cars...

Cant imagine its cheaper and not even more common. You can choose San Merino blue in the individual visualizer, but you can't choose Marina Bay Blue there.

https://visualizer.bmw-individual.com/

And there were m3/m4s in San merino blue on the road already. May be the pricing is for german market 🤷🏼*♂️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Here are some things to consider.
1. Brake dust. With brake dust, the caliper will also be coated in it and you will have to wash it when you wash your car, it's an extra step, but something to be aware of. If you don't like taking the time to wash the caliper, go with the black brakes.
2. Clashing. Blue on Blue would be okay if the blues were the same hue. If the two blues were different hues, it would stand out and could drive you crazy depending on how attentive you detail you are.
3. Caliper size. The rear calipers on these cars is embarrassingly small. Like, it literally looks like an afterthought. Almost like they ran out of money and threw in the same caliper off of like a 4 cylinder X1 or something. If you were to choose the Red, it would stand out. Going with black would blend it in.

I personally always liked the look of Red calipers on sports cars. Hell, I even think they look great on my wife's GTI.
Just some food for thought.
No1: Is not a Problem, the calipers (as well as the rest of the car) will be coated right after i pick it up at the BMW-Welt. So washing will be easy and a fun thing to do.

No2 and 3: i totaly agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCAT View Post
Go with the gold CCB!
Very compliant for daily driving. And almost never any brake dust on the wheel! Got it and now a believer. Keeping the wheels without brown brake dusts, and minimal cleaning effort is worth it IMO. Any other benefits are icing on the cake!
Plus you've mentioned you're leasing? That's even better since you're not paying the whole 8,000. Just a portion of it you use/depreciate!
Pic as shown Marina Bay Blue + gold
True with leasing but its still about a 100 bugs more every single month. (To an already high leasing rate.) looks absolutely awesome, but it is still not an option.
      12-27-2020, 08:37 AM   #39
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

I'm generally a fan of the blue M calipers, but on this build it matches the blue exterior too much. The red calipers BMW made available recently are simply too gaudy and loud, including for this build. The blue ones are much more "BMW" instead of screaming, "I belong on a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT," like the red ones.

I'd go black here. I always notice the massive discs anyway before I notice the calipers or their color.
      12-27-2020, 04:06 PM   #40
amzbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 comp San Marino Status 112

Quote:

Yes, I was wondering if anyone else had tried for San Marino (i.e. in the USA). Previously I think this has been a $5k option or more.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #41
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Cant imagine its cheaper and not even more common. You can choose San Merino blue in the individual visualizer, but you can't choose Marina Bay Blue there.

https://visualizer.bmw-individual.com/

And there were m3/m4s in San merino blue on the road already. May be the pricing is for german market 🤷🏼*♂️

Yeah, the San Marino was for the F80 but in the actual production line there is no car offering this color (as far as I know).
And the Marina Bay is used for the M8 and M5 (not sure about that one).

Ok interesting with the visualizer...It was just my thought on "why the Marina Bay is cheap" compared to what BMW wanted from me for the San Marino Blue.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2020, 12:49 PM   #42
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Black, but red is also acceptable. Blue on blue is too much
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2021, 08:44 PM   #43
drkeng
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 'vert Tanz Blue

Quote:
BMW Individual.

Saw this M8 in Marina Bay Blue at the "BMW Welt" in Munich, asked my dealer what we can do, and Individual made it possible with not rally that much more costs, btw.
Curious how much. Azurite black for my 435 was $5k and it required waiting until after production had ramped up.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 01:16 AM   #44
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
Got it, thank you.
Anyway it's annoying to pay an extra cost for an individual color that actually is a "regular" color as a free option on other M models.
Whats even more annoying for me is that I'm willing to pay the $5k for a laguna seca blue M4, a color that already exists to BMW, but it sounds like they won't approve it based on what I've heard from others on here. I'm willing to give you money BMW. Why won't you take it?????
Appreciate 0