BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 (G80) and BMW M4 (G82) General Forum

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-12-2019, 10:52 PM   #1717
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
seis-speed's Avatar
United_States
1973
Rep
1,764
Posts

Drives: 1M | Golf R | GT3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: West Coast

iTrader: (0)

New G80 video

Testing....
Appreciate 2
Remonster605.50
TheOne20.50

      10-13-2019, 01:27 AM   #1718
solstice
Major General
4552
Rep
6,437
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

The suspension looks very, very well sorted, hopefully a sign that the launch is near.

Did that look like a girl with long hair driving it in the last section of the video?
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan8464.50
Remonster605.50
NYAWE60418.00

      10-13-2019, 02:45 AM   #1719
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
8465
Rep
17,698
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
The suspension looks very, very well sorted, hopefully a sign that the launch is near.

Did that look like a girl with long hair driving it in the last section of the video?
It also looks ferociously quick!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 06:20 AM   #1720
M3Fahrer
First Lieutenant
M3Fahrer's Avatar
252
Rep
337
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 CS
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: South FL

iTrader: (0)

I hope BMW goes back to their previous European Delivery insurance carrier so I can drive the next one on the Ring again.
__________________
Current: 2018 ///M3 CS - Alpinweiss
Previous: 2015 ///M3 - Alpinweiss - Euro Delivery
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #1721
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
evanescent03's Avatar
874
Rep
1,870
Posts

Drives: '16 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (2)

okay - nothing significantly different from what I can tell... it's fine if they keep testing it to improve that last little bit but can we please have a look & feel or the 98.5% finished product, please!? Some/(many?) of us do irrational things when we get impatient lol
__________________
Gone but not forgotten: '09 STi // '08 335i // '02 M3 // '11 335i // '15 M3 // '16 M3 // '16 Camaro SS // '16 Audi S3 // '18 Boxster 718S // '17 Camaro SS 1LE // '16 M6 GC CP

Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan8464.50
pbar890.50
kern4173371.00

      10-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #1722
DML
Colonel
954
Rep
2,011
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Darien CT.

iTrader: (0)

I wonder if rope floss will be included with the Beaver tooth grill, damn well better be.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 02:46 PM   #1723
Ghostriderf80
Got Tools?? Use them.
Ghostriderf80's Avatar
United Kingdom
797
Rep
1,236
Posts

Drives: Just a BMW
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Netz

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatian test driver View Post
If you can't appreciate a nice beaver I dunno man. lol
__________________
1980 VW Rabbit 8v- 4spd - #1 First car - Thanks Dad
2014 M5 past 2016 M3 Comp DCT
Porsche Cayenne S
Porsche Macan S
Future Porsche 911
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #1724
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
dmboone25's Avatar
United_States
4610
Rep
10,052
Posts

Drives: 2021 JCW MT/2016 981 BGTS PDK
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [0.00]
2007 328i  [0.00]
Can they make it bigger?

I'm not sure there's enough barge in there....

__________________
Past rides: 2020 MINI JCW, 2017 F80, 2015 981 CS, 2014 F22 235, 2011 E82 135, 2008 E82 135, 2007 E92 328, 2007 E92 328 (My lady drives an OG M2. So does my dad)
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN4186.50
pbar890.50

      10-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #1725
///M TOWN
.
///M TOWN's Avatar
4187
Rep
4,081
Posts

Drives: M GmbH
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: North America

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Can they make it bigger?

I'm not sure there's enough barge in there....

Next generation for sure.

Then they will call it a M240i, and will release the 1er GC to replace it.
__________________
///
Appreciate 1
dmboone254609.50

      10-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #1726
Colinv6
Colonel
Colinv6's Avatar
United Kingdom
3350
Rep
2,489
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 competition
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

It sounds very muted, this must definately be a Euro spec car with exhaust filters

Looks quick and composed, however, as expected on the flip side of this, seems to lack drama?
__________________
2012 Mineral white/fox red competition package

Instagram mineral_e92comp
Appreciate 1
bjcarls357.00

      10-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #1727
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
3687
Rep
6,677
Posts

Drives: X5 xDrive50i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

19/20 inch wheels?

xDrive variant, most likely.

Looks aggressive and seems to be well planted. Sounds meh.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 04:34 PM   #1728
xlover
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
1492
Rep
1,852
Posts

Drives: 2021 M340 xdrive w/MPE
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
19/20 inch wheels?
Staggered wheels sizes are apparently going to become an M thing... ynguldyn noted a while ago that the M3/M4 were going to go that way and the MX5/X6 both have staggerd sizes on the comp pack (21/22)
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2019, 09:18 AM   #1729
kern417
Cheapskate
United_States
3371
Rep
4,362
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i / 2010 X5
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Next generation for sure.

Then they will call it a M240i, and will release the 1er GC to replace it.
personally i'm excited to hear about what they do when they hit the ceiling on their nomenclature. Can you imagine the convo?

"I have a 2065 0.25-80i on order. It's a 2.0T though. To get the 6 cylinder, you have to order the ///M0.25-90i. It just reminds me more of my E46 ever since the 0.5-series got so hefty."
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by umizoomi View Post
As long as 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Instagram/Youtube/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 3
      10-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #1730
RowanBuds
Lieutenant Colonel
RowanBuds's Avatar
1444
Rep
1,898
Posts

Drives: LMB F80
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bergen County, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
On the contrary. Those that I know of have seen it are very excited by it. One comment I have heard them say that it's the most, visually aggressive M car yet. And far from restrained.
With a preliminary qualification of all due respect for your postings, contributions, and insight;

Why would anyone here ever expect your pre-release feedback to be any different than this? I'd never imagine you coming here saying 'yeah, some guys on the team have seen it and, just as you expected, the front end is a gigantic clusterfuck.' Or, 'yup, the new grille is a hideous miss by our design department, who were obviously poached from the firing pool of Lexus and Acura'.

No judgment, no criticism of what you do - just pointing out that anyone here expecting other than the corporate line will be disappointed.

Thanks, as ALWAYS, for your contributions and time spent on the forum Scott.

Self edit by my internal cynic: excited =/= positive. visually aggressive =/= good looking. far from restrained =/= a cohesively designed total package.

It could just be phrasology and i'm reading too much into it, but even your reply here is far from saying its a good looking product.
__________________
Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap

Last edited by RowanBuds; 10-16-2019 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 2
Miko M6391.50

      10-16-2019, 02:31 PM   #1731
535i MSport
Captain
535i MSport's Avatar
United Kingdom
1090
Rep
830
Posts

Drives: 2017 C63S T
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: East Anglia

iTrader: (0)

Visually aggressive....that's a very careful choice of words.

Here's hoping that we are all wrong and somehow, it works.😁
__________________
2017 M3 Comp Pack 450PS

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN4186.50

      10-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #1732
pbar
Captain
pbar's Avatar
United Kingdom
891
Rep
608
Posts

Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP (DCT)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post
Visually aggressive....that's a very careful choice of words.
Perhaps a euphemism for "hurts my eyes" ?
Appreciate 1
dmboone254609.50

      10-16-2019, 04:44 PM   #1733
SCOTT26
Major General
SCOTT26's Avatar
4872
Rep
5,773
Posts

Drives: A big F-off German Truck.
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
With a preliminary qualification of all due respect for your postings, contributions, and insight;

Why would anyone here ever expect your pre-release feedback to be any different than this? I'd never imagine you coming here saying 'yeah, some guys on the team have seen it and, just as you expected, the front end is a gigantic clusterfuck.' Or, 'yup, the new grille is a hideous miss by our design department, who were obviously poached from the firing pool of Lexus and Acura'.

No judgment, no criticism of what you do - just pointing out that anyone here expecting other than the corporate line will be disappointed.

Thanks, as ALWAYS, for your contributions and time spent on the forum Scott.

Self edit by my internal cynic: excited =/= positive. visually aggressive =/= good looking. far from restrained =/= a cohesively designed total package.

It could just be phrasology and i'm reading too much into it, but even your reply here is far from saying its a good looking product.
Ah you think I have bias towards a BMW product?
So I Toe the company line?

I actually raise opinion regards many methods such as product,design and technology that I exercise my freedom to be highly critical.
One such example I am known for is my distaste to the current MINI countryman which I think design wise is a complete abonoamation to the MINI ethos.
Which I am glad that the next series of MINI are returning to its early days with a product that can capture that emotion that MINI ran with. As I feel today's MINIs have squandered this era.

I like the new 4 because I was one of the people within the company that stood up in 2016 and agreed we had to become a bolder type of conservative. The large grille has been a part of BMW history so it is not an entirely new concept but new for this era.

By all accounts the M3 takes this boldness and envelopes into a bold new and aggressive aerodynamics package, which understated is fine if you want to surprise. But not everybody has to Be the wolf in sheeps clothing. This is purely to push the M cars further away from their M Performance everyday accessibility.
With M3 People say it works and you have that distance.
The larger kidney grille adds more character
It works on the production 4 and it works on the new 2.
__________________
The M850i is evidence that BMW have got their mojo back when it comes to dynamic sports cars...
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan8464.50
Remonster605.50
JTO243147.50
Auto117.50

      10-16-2019, 04:52 PM   #1734
535i MSport
Captain
535i MSport's Avatar
United Kingdom
1090
Rep
830
Posts

Drives: 2017 C63S T
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: East Anglia

iTrader: (0)

I would buy this...
Attached Images
 
__________________
2017 M3 Comp Pack 450PS

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #1735
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
8465
Rep
17,698
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Ah you think I have bias towards a BMW product?
So I Toe the company line?

I actually raise opinion regards many methods such as product,design and technology that I exercise my freedom to be highly critical.
One such example I am known for is my distaste to the current MINI countryman which I think design wise is a complete abonoamation to the MINI ethos.
Which I am glad that the next series of MINI are returning to its early days with a product that can capture that emotion that MINI ran with. As I feel today's MINIs have squandered this era.

I like the new 4 because I was one of the people within the company that stood up in 2016 and agreed we had to become a bolder type of conservative. The large grille has been a part of BMW history so it is not an entirely new concept but new for this era.

By all accounts the M3 takes this boldness and envelopes into a bold new and aggressive aerodynamics package, which understated is fine if you want to surprise. But not everybody has to Be the wolf in sheeps clothing. This is purely to push the M cars further away from their M Performance everyday accessibility.
With M3 People say it works and you have that distance.
The larger kidney grille adds more character
It works on the production 4 and it works on the new 2.

Well stated!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 07:32 PM   #1736
RowanBuds
Lieutenant Colonel
RowanBuds's Avatar
1444
Rep
1,898
Posts

Drives: LMB F80
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bergen County, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
With a preliminary qualification of all due respect for your postings, contributions, and insight;

Why would anyone here ever expect your pre-release feedback to be any different than this? I'd never imagine you coming here saying 'yeah, some guys on the team have seen it and, just as you expected, the front end is a gigantic clusterfuck.' Or, 'yup, the new grille is a hideous miss by our design department, who were obviously poached from the firing pool of Lexus and Acura'.

No judgment, no criticism of what you do - just pointing out that anyone here expecting other than the corporate line will be disappointed.

Thanks, as ALWAYS, for your contributions and time spent on the forum Scott.

Self edit by my internal cynic: excited =/= positive. visually aggressive =/= good looking. far from restrained =/= a cohesively designed total package.

It could just be phrasology and i'm reading too much into it, but even your reply here is far from saying its a good looking product.
Ah you think I have bias towards a BMW product?
So I Toe the company line?

I actually raise opinion regards many methods such as product,design and technology that I exercise my freedom to be highly critical.
One such example I am known for is my distaste to the current MINI countryman which I think design wise is a complete abonoamation to the MINI ethos.
Which I am glad that the next series of MINI are returning to its early days with a product that can capture that emotion that MINI ran with. As I feel today's MINIs have squandered this era.

I like the new 4 because I was one of the people within the company that stood up in 2016 and agreed we had to become a bolder type of conservative. The large grille has been a part of BMW history so it is not an entirely new concept but new for this era.

By all accounts the M3 takes this boldness and envelopes into a bold new and aggressive aerodynamics package, which understated is fine if you want to surprise. But not everybody has to Be the wolf in sheeps clothing. This is purely to push the M cars further away from their M Performance everyday accessibility.
With M3 People say it works and you have that distance.
The larger kidney grille adds more character
It works on the production 4 and it works on the new 2.
Awesome feedback, and I apologize if any offense was taken.

I certainly haven't seen your criticality on the mini as I don't usually frequent their forums.

I look forward to seeing the finished product brought to market so that I can choose my next fun car.

Thanks Scott!
__________________
Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 2
JTO243147.50
mkoesel6984.50

      10-16-2019, 09:58 PM   #1737
Tacoma
Captain
595
Rep
602
Posts

Drives: BMW's for 25+ years
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Ah you think I have bias towards a
I like the new 4 because I was one of the people within the company that stood up in 2016 and agreed we had to become a bolder type of conservative. The large grille has been a part of BMW history so it is not an entirely new concept but new for this era.

By all accounts the M3 takes this boldness and envelopes into a bold new and aggressive aerodynamics package, which understated is fine if you want to surprise. But not everybody has to Be the wolf in sheeps clothing. This is purely to push the M cars further away from their M Performance everyday accessibility.
With M3 People say it works and you have that distance.
The larger kidney grille adds more character
It works on the production 4 and it works on the new 2.
I would dispute that bigger grille equals boldness. It's not. Oversized grilles have been done by Audi's Singleframe grille and Lexus' Spindle grille and recently MB with the large Panamericana grille. And just as you are saying a large grille has been "a part of BMW history," Lexus and MB have made that claim before as well, so even the justification for it is not new. You can't claim boldness if you're only copying a design trend that's more than decade old (Audi's Singleframe started in 2007).
Appreciate 3
pbar890.50
kern4173371.00
M00111673.50

      10-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #1738
solstice
Major General
4552
Rep
6,437
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
I would dispute that bigger grille equals boldness. It's not. Oversized grilles have been done by Audi's Singleframe grille and Lexus' Spindle grille and recently MB with the large Panamericana grille. And just as you are saying a large grille has been "a part of BMW history," Lexus and MB have made that claim before as well, so even the justification for it is not new. You can't claim boldness if you're only copying a design trend that's more than decade old (Audi's Singleframe started in 2007).
Bold is a synonym to brave. It implies a design that is controversial and risky. I think the comments on the grille on bimmerpost overwhelmingly show that the large grille design on the G80 is indeed bold
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan8464.50
JTO243147.50

Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.




g80
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST