Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Cmtl View Post
People saying that adding a 7th gear would drastically change mpgs are full of baloney. If the engine noise bothers you on the highway, just turn off ASD.
To be fair, in my 2015 you didn't have the option to "just turn off ASD" without ripping off panels in the trunk of the car and disconnecting a fuse.

There is really no reason to think that 2,000 RPMs on smooth consistent highway road is not going to provide significantly better MPG than 3,000 RPMs under the same conditions.

One of my biggest gripes in the F80 was just how close 5th and 6th gear really were. Once I had my JB4 there was no purpose to 5th gear in real world driving scenarios because 6th did have enough passing power etc. . .

I don't understand how people can sit here and bash people asking for a 7th gear or a larger 6th gear because "its just fine the way it is." Innovation generally begins with a call for it. . . Not that we'll get to see a shiny new manual box in a BMW anytime soon.

If you search the F80 forums, I think one of the most common complaints is the gearing. 1st gear is very often described as too short given the modicum of torque in the vehicle (see: no traction) and 6th gear isn't long enough (see "why isn't there a 7th gear or why am I at 3,000 RPMS on the highway when my Jeep Wrangler is only at 2,500).

I'm glad they gave us a manual box too, but that certainly doesn't mean that the box they revisited was "perfect" in any way shape or form.

I'd be all for a longer 6th or a 7th "overdrive only" gear and I really don't see a downside to it despite the naysaying.
Yup. My 7MT box gives a fuel efficient overdrive and still the best gearbox I own!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 06:42 PM   #46
dusty80
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

I wish I could put it in my X3M.
Appreciate 0