Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

05-01-2024, 08:33 PM   #1
avsbull
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4 G82 Competition

Drivers side door clicking sound

First time posting on here, I have a 2022 G82 M4, about 17,000kms on it. And started to notice last week a clicking sound in the drivers side door around the hinge. Clicking Sound Video.

Video is attached, I can’t see any visible loose or damaged parts. Anyone else have this issue or know any solution without going to bmw first? They charge $313 just to check it out and they say creaks and rattles aren’t covered under warranty, (Past experience with a rattling noise from the dash).
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 07:36 AM   #2
SwankPeRFection
Major
Rep
Drives: S4

Find a new dealer. Creaks and rattles are definitely covered under warranty and there is no diag charge you pay to have an issue looked at while under warranty. Why do you guys let dealers pull this sort of shit on you? Report their bs business tactics to BMWUSA.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13640.00
      05-02-2024, 08:02 AM   #3
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Definitely covered under warranty, but, from past experience, the door hinges are usually made of plastic, I don't have a bus, so, Im not sure how they are on the M3 rear doors, but, the plastic hinges crack in the eyelet, and if you look close enough, and sometimes the crack is on the back side of the eyelet, and you cant see it, but, as you open and close the door, it pops, expands, and the crack closes, again. This sounds exactly like that.

Heres an extremely lame example of what Im talking about. Dont do this stupid fix, its ridiculous. But, someone got a little wild with your rear door, and broke the check strap. Just watch the problem, and don't hang around for the solution, just get yours replaced. If this is broken, it was self inflicted, and the dealer is probably going to charge you to replace it. But, you have to remove the door panel to get to it, so, unless youre willing to do it, yourself, and save the money, you may be spending.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 08:17 AM   #4
avsbull
Registered
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Find a new dealer. Creaks and rattles are definitely covered under warranty and there is no diag charge you pay to have an issue looked at while under warranty. Why do you guys let dealers pull this sort of shit on you? Report their bs business tactics to BMWUSA.
I did have a talk to the dealer about this, I’m based in sydney Australia, this was at parramatta bmw. I went off a little bit about how it was stupid that they’d charge me just to check and then waive the charge if there was an issue. He then showed me part of the warranty documentation stating that creaks and rattles aren’t covered after the first year of initial registration of the vehicle. Apparently 2 hours of labour and some insulation justifies $313, ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 08:22 AM   #5
avsbull
Registered
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Definitely covered under warranty, but, from past experience, the door hinges are usually made of plastic, I don't have a bus, so, Im not sure how they are on the M3 rear doors, but, the plastic hinges crack in the eyelet, and if you look close enough, and sometimes the crack is on the back side of the eyelet, and you cant see it, but, as you open and close the door, it pops, expands, and the crack closes, again. This sounds exactly like that.

Heres an extremely lame example of what Im talking about. Dont do this stupid fix, its ridiculous. But, someone got a little wild with your rear door, and broke the check strap. Just watch the problem, and don't hang around for the solution, just get yours replaced. If this is broken, it was self inflicted, and the dealer is probably going to charge you to replace it. But, you have to remove the door panel to get to it, so, unless youre willing to do it, yourself, and save the money, you may be spending. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU5NlVPEX2U
Will definitely get it checked from bmw when I go in for my next service, I haven’t been rough with the door at all so it’s a surprise to me but thank you for explaining it. Fingers crossed not anything major or costly.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13640.00