Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-12-2023, 06:01 PM   #133
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02 S2k, 04 Rx8, 22 M3P, 23 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadG80 View Post
Sounds like this is definitely a good option. What options did you select when ordering?
I have the most streetable options that’s good for 700-750wtrq

Twin organic, dampener and basic flywheel. It comes with a tob(low setting) and hardware. No alignment tool if you’re tackling it yourself.
Appreciate 1
mattssi880.50
      09-12-2023, 06:24 PM   #134
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadG80 View Post
Sounds like this is definitely a good option. What options did you select when ordering?
Yeah, that's awesome.
      09-18-2023, 01:36 PM   #135
evidence
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I hit PTB up to ask a few question on the material options, they came back w

Quote:
The double organic also takes a good load with some tuning. But for most of all kind of tuners the sinter/organic is the best way to keep stock driveability and also lot of power
I asked if they could describe the differences if you went sinter w one:

Quote:
the only difference is that a sinter can be bumpy at stop´n go traffic. the organic friction material is made for best driveability and start behavior.
But also sinter material isn't sinter at all- there are lot of difference in the mixture. So we have one which is good to drive and still takes a big load
The organic/organic they report can take ~735tq, which is pretty aggressive. Has anyone had any slip on stock turbo aggressive E tunes with this combo, or anyone have opinions on organic/sinter? I'm not planning to go big turbo, so don't think I need to give up comfort making one of them sinter.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 02:23 PM   #136
G80_253
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evidence View Post
I hit PTB up to ask a few question on the material options, they came back w

I asked if they could describe the differences if you went sinter w one:

The organic/organic they report can take ~735tq, which is pretty aggressive. Has anyone had any slip on stock turbo aggressive E tunes with this combo, or anyone have opinions on organic/sinter? I'm not planning to go big turbo, so don't think I need to give up comfort making one of them sinter.
I chose sinter/organic with upgraded pressure plate since i plan to launch the car a lot and go upgraded turbos in the future. It's getting it installed tomorrow to so ill give impressions on how it feels once i get the car back.
Appreciate 3
evidence202.00
mattssi880.50
GantBoi3134.00
      09-19-2023, 10:11 PM   #137
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02 S2k, 04 Rx8, 22 M3P, 23 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80_253 View Post
I chose sinter/organic with upgraded pressure plate since i plan to launch the car a lot and go upgraded turbos in the future. It's getting it installed tomorrow to so ill give impressions on how it feels once i get the car back.
Ignore the first 50/100 miles. That’s not what you’ll live with; it gets a lot better.
Appreciate 1
mattssi880.50
      09-23-2023, 05:20 PM   #138
BMWnation
BMWnation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 535, M4

Does anyone know if there flywheel is lighter than OEM? They have upgraded one as well not sure what the spec are?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 10:46 AM   #139
evidence
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What's the verdict?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 11:21 PM   #140
mattssi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evidence View Post
What's the verdict?
Yeah man! Verdict?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 02:10 PM   #141
evidence
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The suspense! Anyone else go organic/sinter and have some feedback vs stock? If it's a minimal difference I think most people would be interested in having the buffer. Mostly wondering, on DDs with modest targets, is organic/organic best for streetability.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 05:03 AM   #142
G80_253
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssi View Post
Yeah man! Verdict?
Sorry about that, got busy and forgot!

I love it. Compared to stock the clutch pedal is a little heavier(which I prefer and the stock clutch pedal in my ‘17 m240i is still heavier), maybe 10-20% enough to be noticeable, but not so much that I would hesitate to drive it daily and in traffic. Starting from a stop requires a bit more finesse due to the grabby nature of the ceramic disk, but wasn’t a problem for me since I’ve had harder clutches in my old Evo. I’m currently on BM3 stage 2 ots and the clutch doesn’t break a sweat launches, clutch kicks, rolling antilag it doesn’t matter.

There is some extra noise transmitted into the cabin now, but I don’t know if that is the clutch or the short shifter w/ solid shifter bushings I had installed at the same time.

With that said I definitely recommend the clutch to anyone that wants to push the car. I plan on going custom flex fuel tune next summer and have full confidence it will hold all the power I can throw at it especially on stock turbos.
Appreciate 3
NicolasB809.50
evidence202.00
      11-02-2023, 08:58 AM   #143
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:

I love it. Compared to stock the clutch pedal is a little heavier(which I prefer and the stock clutch pedal in my ‘17 m240i is still heavier), maybe 10-20% enough to be noticeable, but not so much that I would hesitate to drive it daily and in traffic. Starting from a stop requires a bit more finesse due to the grabby nature of the ceramic disk, but wasn’t a problem for me since I’ve had harder clutches in my old Evo. I’m currently on BM3 stage 2 ots and the clutch doesn’t break a sweat launches, clutch kicks, rolling antilag it doesn’t matter.

There is some extra noise transmitted into the cabin now, but I don’t know if that is the clutch or the short shifter w/ solid shifter bushings I had installed at the same time.

With that said I definitely recommend the clutch to anyone that wants to push the car. I plan on going custom flex fuel tune next summer and have full confidence it will hold all the power I can throw at it especially on stock turbos.
If you’re in neutral and are hearing some added noise in cabin, you’re hearing what is referred to as “clutch chatter”. It’ll usually happen in neutral or as you’re approaching a standstill in neutral.

I’m at 1k miles on my PTB clutch and am enjoying it. I went with standard pressure plate and organic/sinter. I’ll be testing its limits next year as winter draws near in the northeast.

For those that are considering it - it’s a no brainer. Just let the clutch break in for about 400-500 miles and take off any clutch stop you have (or decrease the number of washers) and you’ll enjoy not slipping. I found the engagement right after installation with all the washers on the BMS clutch stop made for far too little travel, so taking out two made a big difference.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 1
mathys202.50
      11-08-2023, 12:57 PM   #144
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 6MT BG/FR

Quote:

This is good to hear seeing as its the config I went with. I'm hoping mine will ship any day now. I placed my order knocking on two weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 05:28 PM   #145
Tall Tom Cruise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce_bukkake View Post
This is good to hear seeing as its the config I went with. I'm hoping mine will ship any day now. I placed my order knocking on two weeks ago.
Just re-ordered mine. Not the smartest move, but I sold my initial PTB kit to a friend. I thought my stock clutch would hold up longer running a stage 2 tune and it wouldn't bother me.

Turns out the clutch got worn to a point where it really started to piss me off, so I reordered the same configuration. Lol. Will post my feedback once it arrives and I have it installed.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 02:08 PM   #146
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tom Cruise View Post
Just re-ordered mine. Not the smartest move, but I sold my initial PTB kit to a friend. I thought my stock clutch would hold up longer running a stage 2 tune and it wouldn't bother me.

Turns out the clutch got worn to a point where it really started to piss me off, so I reordered the same configuration. Lol. Will post my feedback once it arrives and I have it installed.
Yeah, we DM'd for a bit about it when you were selling it haha. I wasn't tuned yet and I thought that I was going to be waiting longer than what I did. My stock clutch held up for about 3 days on the stage 2 map. Mine is currently out for delivery now.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2023, 02:10 PM   #147
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

Side note, anyone know of an alignment tool that will work with this platform? I'd planned on doing it myself at a buddy's shop, but wasn't sure if any ole universal alignment tool would do the job.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 09:27 PM   #148
mark_g80_mt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladdy3f View Post
I ordered it before i seen this thread lol.... I had spoken to CM and my mechanic that is doing the job next week and he said he is confident the clutch will NOT give me any issues...... I'm crossing my fingers
I haven’t checked in for a bit!

How is the CM clutch holding up, I saw they have some new pressure plate on the unit, did you get the black pressure plate or the white?
Appreciate 1
mattssi880.50
      12-26-2023, 11:52 AM   #149
10ORIO
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M2, 19 BMW X4 M40I

10K mile update on the PTB-R dual disc clutch: I’ve abused the living hell out of this clutch and it still performs flawlessly! Looking forward to the next 10K. #advocatehere

Link: https://www.ptb-shop.de/g80clutch.html
Appreciate 1
NicolasB809.50
      12-26-2023, 02:24 PM   #150
NicolasB
Not my first rodeo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ORIO View Post
10K mile update on the PTB-R dual disc clutch: I’ve abused the living hell out of this clutch and it still performs flawlessly! Looking forward to the next 10K. #advocatehere

Link: https://www.ptb-shop.de/g80clutch.html
How does it compare the stock one in terms of pedal fuel and ease of use?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 04:40 PM   #151
10ORIO
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M2, 19 BMW X4 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasB View Post
How does it compare the stock one in terms of pedal fuel and ease of use?
It feels better than stock. No stiffness at all and engagement is smooth. I have CDV deleted as well.

The only con I have is about the chatter, but chatter is to be expected having a dual disc. It’s not that bad, but it is noticeable.
Appreciate 1
NicolasB809.50
      12-28-2023, 11:29 AM   #152
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

I just wanted add my 2 cents now that my clutch has been installed and is working. I do a lot of dig racing so I opted for the O/S/P config. The instructions that came with my box referenced the standard pressure plate option, and there are some differences.

First, the upgraded pressure plate is not equipped with a SAC system, so the whole press and spring adjustment step does not apply.

Second, the instructions tell you to install the throw out bearing on the "low" setting. If you do this with the upgraded plate, it will not disengage and you will overextend your slave cylinder--ask me how I know. The clutch stack is shorter with the upgraded plate, because it is nice and flat. Install your throw out bearing on the "high" setting marked with a diamond. Hopefully this saves anyone else from all of the trial and error I've had to go through.
Appreciate 1
NicolasB809.50
      12-29-2023, 04:16 PM   #153
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

Adding to this thread again..

I wasn't able to pick the car up yesterday after work, so it stayed at the shop. Today, they drove the car to see how the clutch was holding up, and now its slipping under normal driving conditions. I'm at a complete loss on what to do with this clutch system. Has anyone else actually installed the performance plate on their cars with no issues?

And PTB hasn't answered my emails regarding the incorrect throw out bearing setting, so they haven't acknowledged the fact that they gave me wrong information.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 04:30 PM   #154
mattssi
Major
Rep

Ugggh that sucks. Hope you are able to get ahold of them quickly.
Appreciate 0