Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-08-2022, 11:40 AM   #89
Johndaks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardG View Post
I spoke to CarBahn the other day, they were very helpful and knowledgable. They told me that BMW has things very locked down so this is the only way they can do it so far. I'm primarily interested in finding torque lower in the power band, it sounds like their solution does help a bit with that. I like the idea that they offer the warranty, but I haven't made a decision yet.
I think I will go with CarBahn also, I saw a video with Mr Dinan (owner of Carbahn) talking about the way he approaches tunning BMWs and he seems like he knows his stuff.

And I think he is the only one offering a waranty on your car for his piggyback!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 06:57 PM   #90
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndaks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BardG View Post
I spoke to CarBahn the other day, they were very helpful and knowledgable. They told me that BMW has things very locked down so this is the only way they can do it so far. I'm primarily interested in finding torque lower in the power band, it sounds like their solution does help a bit with that. I like the idea that they offer the warranty, but I haven't made a decision yet.
I think I will go with CarBahn also, I saw a video with Mr Dinan (owner of Carbahn) talking about the way he approaches tunning BMWs and he seems like he knows his stuff.

And I think he is the only one offering a waranty on your car for his piggyback!!!
Well I don't think there's any doubt he knows his stuff for sure. I'm in Canada, they're quickly expanding their network here, it looks like by the time I get my car in September they'll be a local shop that can install it for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 07:51 PM   #91
DoubleDave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

I hope you never need to take advantage of the warranty but it’s great that they’re offering it. I personally struggle with their 1K warranty cost on an engine that’s stupid expensive.

The Dinan unit gives a decent performance bump that I personally feel pretty safe with and my car’s drivability has not suffered at all. I’ve tried other piggy back units on other cars and this is the smoothest one I’ve had including JB4 (on Audi not BMW).

Maybe that’s why some didn’t feel that it’s doing anything, because the power delivery doesn’t spike at a certain RPM.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 03:54 AM   #92
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Actually, it is not a clone. Clone is when someone took the original product and have it copied or cloned.
This Dinan X is what they called private label. So, Dinan management got together with RaceChip management and say, "Hey, can I purchase your product, change the appearance a bit, and put my brand on it".
It is like Costco do to many of their Kirkland's product.
While the software and mapping, it may and may not be the same. Only they know.
And guess what, Dinan is not the only one and not the first. Few company been using RaceChip product for a while.

Actually, RaceChip GTS and GTS Black been including engine warranty for the past couple years. Details can be found here.

https://www.racechip.us/engine-warranty.html

Actually, no. Their board supposed to be a collab work between company, but one screw the other.
And it has been quite sometime that they are still using that old design 8-bit processor chipset with simple off the shelves ATX computer parts, while all new cars are sampling the data much faster.
Most guys that I've talked to confirmed that they do feel jerk and rough power delivery.

Racechip warranty only covers $5k-10k in damage costs depending on which product you get, so buyer beware
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13440.50
reNT265.50
      08-09-2022, 08:40 AM   #93
r33_RGSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
Quote:
Actually, it is not a clone. Clone is when someone took the original product and have it copied or cloned.
This Dinan X is what they called private label. So, Dinan management got together with RaceChip management and say, "Hey, can I purchase your product, change the appearance a bit, and put my brand on it".
It is like Costco do to many of their Kirkland's product.
While the software and mapping, it may and may not be the same. Only they know.
And guess what, Dinan is not the only one and not the first. Few company been using RaceChip product for a while.

Actually, RaceChip GTS and GTS Black been including engine warranty for the past couple years. Details can be found here.

https://www.racechip.us/engine-warranty.html

Actually, no. Their board supposed to be a collab work between company, but one screw the other.
And it has been quite sometime that they are still using that old design 8-bit processor chipset with simple off the shelves ATX computer parts, while all new cars are sampling the data much faster.
Most guys that I've talked to confirmed that they do feel jerk and rough power delivery.

Racechip warranty only covers $5k-10k in damage costs depending on which product you get, so buyer beware
For the price that you pay, which is included for free, it is not bad.
Do you think that you'll need that expensive engine warranty for less conservative mapping?

I have been selling RaceChip since 2015 and not a single blown motor caused by RaceChip.
I even have it on my Porsche 991.2 that I just tracked over the weekend at 100°F.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 2
Oldgixxer1906.50
      08-09-2022, 07:19 PM   #94
TillyM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G82 Xdrive

Garage List
2022 M4 Xdrive  [9.83]
2016 MINI JCW  [10.00]
I had Dinan installed the other day and was not too impressed with the performance in both sports and race mode. Maybe I was expecting too much.
with Remus exhaust with AA x-pipe installed, was really expecting some nice gain but I was wrong.
Initially, it almost felt as if there were practically no hp gain but after doing a few launch control, and seeing the tire spin off before taking off ( previously on my x-comp, the tire never spun, just took off solid) can see that there were added hp making tire spin.
one of the member shared that due to Dinan being so smooth, you may not almost feel anything but there is definite power gain.
Having had JB4 on my MINI JCW, with a crazy noticeable power increase, I was somewhat expecting in that route with some lesser power than JB4.

Definitely, the power transition is smooth nothing like JB4 with an abrupt power kick. Perhaps I need to get the feeling sink in and get used to us.
But still, thinking about changing it to JB4 after 3rd day of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 08:20 AM   #95
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Quote:
For the price that you pay, which is included for free, it is not bad.
Do you think that you'll need that expensive engine warranty for less conservative mapping?

I have been selling RaceChip since 2015 and not a single blown motor caused by RaceChip.
I even have it on my Porsche 991.2 that I just tracked over the weekend at 100°F.
This brings some peace of mind. Specially after CONTINUOSLY hearing from 'some' members that RC is not safe or as safe as other PB solutions.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12967.50
      08-10-2022, 10:40 AM   #96
r33_RGSport
United_States
Rep

Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixY2K View Post
This brings some peace of mind. Specially after CONTINUOSLY hearing from 'some' members that RC is not safe or as safe as other PB solutions.

Thanks!
You can look at PB feedback as Apple vs Android smartphones.
The Apple fans will say Android sucks.
The Android fans will say otherwise.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 3
GixY2K517.00
reNT265.50
      08-16-2022, 03:34 AM   #97
M4 EM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4

Installed the racechip today in the G82 6MT, there’s definitely a noticeable difference. Enough to say I’ll be keeping up with a lambo? Obviously not, it’s a plug and play piggy back… but there’s still a big difference in torque, the car pushes me back in the seat very easily.

As far as traction, if you have the M drive professional you can easily solve any traction issue. For street driving I have the setting on 9 or 10, minimal to no wheel spin even in Map 7. When setting to MDM, I shifted from 1st to 2nd and my ass was completely sliding.

Absolutely worth the upgrade. My goal was to put down competition/automatic numbers and power and I think it got me exactly that.
Appreciate 2
V's M39.00
zero213253.00
      08-16-2022, 02:56 PM   #98
GoodGuyAvi
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 EM View Post
Installed the racechip today in the G82 6MT, there’s definitely a noticeable difference. Enough to say I’ll be keeping up with a lambo? Obviously not, it’s a plug and play piggy back… but there’s still a big difference in torque, the car pushes me back in the seat very easily.

As far as traction, if you have the M drive professional you can easily solve any traction issue. For street driving I have the setting on 9 or 10, minimal to no wheel spin even in Map 7. When setting to MDM, I shifted from 1st to 2nd and my ass was completely sliding.

Absolutely worth the upgrade. My goal was to put down competition/automatic numbers and power and I think it got me exactly that.
Thank you for feedback.
I'm thinking what to choose Race Chip or Dinan...
I heard Dinan is not noticable tune.... I don't know what to say... I don't believe that
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 09:05 PM   #99
BMWnation
BMWnation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 535, M4

Quote:

Good to hear, do you feel the added power post 3K RPM (or earlier)? like the competition models? The manual car does seem to have a bit more torque down low.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 10:23 PM   #100
PKE90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 Diesel

NEW RELEASE: DINANTRONICS X for the S58 Engine - BMW M3 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssi View Post
Can't wait for 6MT version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying05 View Post
It is available? Base is 6MT
Compatible with both the 6MT and ZF8.

Quote:
I personally give this installation a 4 out of 5 busted-nuts rating, just because of said connector. That is why I tell folks to take it to someone with experience or expert.

Anything else you want to tell us about the upcoming "flash" option?
Big hands will get bloodied. Its simply an offering to the car gods. =) Was the same with the DME connector on the last generation S55 and DINANTRONICS Elite. Apparently BMW really wants to make the 6-cylinder M customers suffer to get a bit more power.

Nothing to really tell. Will ultimately be very similar to what we have released for the F97/F98 X3M (2020 MY only) but until the encryption is defeated/bypassed, etc. there really isnt anything to say officially. Work in progress. Been the life of the software team for some time now.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssi View Post
Can't wait for 6MT version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying05 View Post
It is available? Base is 6MT
Compatible with both the 6MT and ZF8.

Quote:
I personally give this installation a 4 out of 5 busted-nuts rating, just because of said connector. That is why I tell folks to take it to someone with experience or expert.

Anything else you want to tell us about the upcoming "flash" option?
Big hands will get bloodied. Its simply an offering to the car gods. =) Was the same with the DME connector on the last generation S55 and DINANTRONICS Elite. Apparently BMW really wants to make the 6-cylinder M customers suffer to get a bit more power.

Nothing to really tell. Will ultimately be very similar to what we have released for the F97/F98 X3M (2020 MY only) but until the encryption is defeated/bypassed, etc. there really isnt anything to say officially. Work in progress. Been the life of the software team for some time now.

Did you do work to confirm that the 6MT transmission and clutch can handle the extra torque?

Current: 13 X5 Diesel, 991 Carrera S 50th Anniversary Edition

Gone: 11 E90 M3 ZCP, 07 328i ZSP, 05 330i ZHP, 04 996 GT3, 02 525iA, 02 996 C2, 01 Boxster S
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 02:47 AM   #101
M4 EM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWnation View Post
Good to hear, do you feel the added power post 3K RPM (or earlier)? like the competition models? The manual car does seem to have a bit more torque down low.
I feel it a lot more from 3-6k RPM where the car was very sluggish before, now it pulls well throughout the entire power band.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 02:49 AM   #102
M4 EM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKE90 View Post
Did you do work to confirm that the 6MT transmission and clutch can handle the extra torque?
It can definitely handle it, I’m sure BMW was thinking to preserve the clutch for many many years as a daily driver when they tuned down the manual. With them selling maintenance packages and extended coverage I doubt they want to replace the clutch for free in the first 4 years. My suspicion is that it was for longevity, not because it can’t handle the power.
Appreciate 1
reNT265.50
      08-17-2022, 08:25 AM   #103
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWnation View Post
I feel it a lot more from 3-6k RPM where the car was very sluggish before, now it pulls well throughout the entire power band.
This is good to know. I haven't taken delivery yet but I'm convinced I will eat more bottom end performance out of the S58
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 07:42 PM   #104
PKE90
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Attachment 2909640

Part Number(s): D440-0155, D440-0156, D440-0164 & D440-0165
Applications:
  • 2020-2022 F97 X3M (Base & Competition)
  • 2020-2022 F98 X4M (Base & Competition)
  • 2021-2023 G80 M3 (Base & Competition)
  • 2021-2023 G82/G83 M4 (Base & Competition)
Product Page(s) / Pricing: dinan.info/DPT-X-S58
Release Date: [COLOR="Red"]Available Now![/COLOR]

Description: The DINANTRONICS X is the newest installment of Dinan's foray into inline tuning modules. Like its predecessors it is a highly engineered mix of computer hardware and software that enhances engine performance to levels the stock programming is not allowed to venture. It does this without affecting long term reliability or the functionality of on-board diagnostic systems when run under recommended operating variables. Unlike its predecessor however, the DINANTRONICS X is Bluetooth smart and offers convenient access to the adjustment of power levels directly from the palm of your hand. For those that do not wish to (or can't) alter their stock ECU with a more robust engine flash the DINANTRONICS X is a perfect alternative to satiate the craving for "more". Whichever level of engine tuning is ultimately chosen you can be sure to be pleased by the result.

NOTE(S): Please refer to the recommended mapping notice on the bottom of the product page for important operating information regarding octanes.

Features/Benefits:
  • More Power: Max gains of up to +79 HP and +70 lb-ft TRQ (Crank); +69 HP and +63 lb-ft TRQ (Wheel) on competition package equipped cars. Refer to the charts below or the appropriate product page for gains on other variants.
  • Bluetooth smart (Android and iOS Compatible).
  • 7 power levels and a bypass setting to choose from.
  • Smooth and predictable power delivery.
  • On board diagnostics and factory safeguards maintained.
  • Unaffected by dealer factory updates.
  • Plug and play installation.
  • 14 day satisfaction guarantee.
  • 1 year limited warranty.

Attachment 2909641
Attachment 2909642
Attachment 2909643
Attachment 2909644
Attachment 2909645
I have about a month now with the Dinantronics installed on my G80 Base MT. A BMW dealer installed it for me. Simply put, it made a noticeable difference and the car remains what it was in terms of character. Obviously, I have no idea what the actual numbers are, whether the base factory hp/torque or the Dinantronics figures are accurate. But assuming they are indeed ~480 + 70 = 550hp, my impression is that the extra shove does indeed feel like plus 15%. Same smoothness, more mid range, and the top is stronger. Same engine character so, bottom line, the car is just an OEM M3 with more power. Exactly what I was looking for.

Gone: 11 E90 M3 ZCP, 07 328i ZSP, 05 330i ZHP, 04 996 GT3, 02 525iA, 02 996 C2, 01 Boxster S
Appreciate 4
G-Mann413.00
DoubleDave1175.00
PLF693766.00
V's M39.00
      02-26-2023, 11:35 PM   #105
nerdrum
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 g80 m3

Garage List
2023 g80 m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKE90 View Post
I have about a month now with the Dinantronics installed on my G80 Base MT. A BMW dealer installed it for me. Simply put, it made a noticeable difference and the car remains what it was in terms of character. Obviously, I have no idea what the actual numbers are, whether the base factory hp/torque or the Dinantronics figures are accurate. But assuming they are indeed ~480 + 70 = 550hp, my impression is that the extra shove does indeed feel like plus 15%. Same smoothness, more mid range, and the top is stronger. Same engine character so, bottom line, the car is just an OEM M3 with more power. Exactly what I was looking for.
Have you driven in a JB4 equipped car in comparison? I'm eager to try to find someone locally to SoCal with the Dinantronics unit on a 6MT like mine as the jb4 car I drove in manual honestly felt off in the mid range and unbelievably surge-y at low speeds.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 02:36 PM   #106
PKE90
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdrum View Post
Have you driven in a JB4 equipped car in comparison? I'm eager to try to find someone locally to SoCal with the Dinantronics unit on a 6MT like mine as the jb4 car I drove in manual honestly felt off in the mid range and unbelievably surge-y at low speeds.
I have not. All I can say is that to me, the Dinantronics driveability is the same as stock. Meaning a bit of lag initially and then the surge. Just, as I wrote, a felt 15% more. Hope it helps.

Appreciate 1
kbb129.00
      03-06-2023, 06:38 AM   #107
GoodGuyAvi
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80

guys on official website is out of stock.
Any expectation day ?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 06:48 AM   #108
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGuyAvi View Post
guys on official website is out of stock.
Any expectation day ?
Both SKUs have a build order in the system so parts are all in stock and no reason the current ETA listed (10th) won’t be met.
Appreciate 1
GoodGuyAvi1495.50
      03-07-2023, 08:33 AM   #109
zero21
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 sold

Has anyone actually done a dyno pull pre and post install?
Appreciate 1
PLF693766.00
      03-10-2023, 01:51 PM   #110
kbb
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 24' M3cs, 23' 911 GTS

I have the DinanX unit in my M3. Noticeable power increase and same as stock smoothness. Above 4000rpm, it pulls much harder. I have tried setting 6 and 7 and kept it on 7 for the most power gain, but I am having some traction problem with setting 7.
Appreciate 0