BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

08-18-2022, 10:12 AM   #23
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
GT3 non-RS cars absolutely depreciate. They're like iPhones, the newest ones have people waiting around the block, the old ones are nice but old news and anyone who paid premiums when they were current ended up losing money. Purple 991.1 GT3RS was a $300k car in 2016.

458 is way better than any F430 variant, including the Scuderia. 9000RPM, much sharper controls, much better transmission (DCT vs SCT), lower overall running costs, much better performance. Peak Pininfarina design; so good, Ferrari has simply iterated on it for over a decade. Both gens will continue to appreciate, but 458 will reach higher heights and move faster. F430 6MT is overhyped, I liked the F1 car better, had more fun when it came down to it. Would take a Scud over an F430 6MT 10/10 times. Easy decision. Get the 458, it's worth the extra. Swap the headers, cat pipes, and mufflers for Novitec/Fabspeed hardware and you'll be surprised to find it one of the most thrilling street cars for the money. These are the real-deal burbles and pops that all these cheaper cars are trying to emulate (poorly). In a world with speed limits and law enforcement, I appreciate a car that's just as fun at 45mph as it is at 145mph.

Non-GT 992s are nice, but not quite weekend car material IMO.

Aventador S and above with rear-wheel steering are actually good drivers. Never driven an SVJ, but friends whose opinions I trust say it's a top-tier drive and worth the money.

A nice LP640 can also be an option, but maintenance costs are absolutely ridiculous. There's no better crowd pleaser for the money, though.
I have Fabspeed on mine and it's glorious!!!! My buddy has an 18 GT3 and that thing sounds just as good in my opinion. Plus it's a manual
Appreciate 1
Nate.G82521.00
      08-18-2022, 11:40 AM   #24
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBII G82 6MT

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
I have Fabspeed on mine and it's glorious!!!! My buddy has an 18 GT3 and that thing sounds just as good in my opinion. Plus it's a manual
I haven't had a chance to listen in on the novitec and fabspeed yet, but what qualities or characteristics help you decide on fabspeed?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 11:47 AM   #25
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate.G82 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
I haven't had a chance to listen in on the novitec and fabspeed yet, but what qualities or characteristics help you decide on fabspeed?
Heard a couple in person. Pretty much it. Can't go wrong either way I think
Appreciate 1
Nate.G82521.00
      09-11-2022, 08:12 PM   #26
JetDriver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet :(

I've had some seat time in both the F430 Scuderia with the F1 tranny and the 488 GTB. I drove the 430 on public backroads and the 488 on a fairly tight roadcourse. While I think the 488 looks much better inside and out, the 430 had more personality. It sounded better and felt more raw. The 488 is a beast. It weighs 300-400lb more than the 430, but has 150 more hp and 200 ft-lb more torque. Easily the fastest car I've ever driven. If I wasn't being hugged by at least a half cow-full of premium Italian leather I would have been hanging on to the steering wheel with my feet out behind me while this thing accelerated. Tons of grip. Tons of braking. Tons of acceleration. I got it up to about 110 on the straight-away and it hadn't even stretched its legs yet. With that being said, the turbo lag was noticeable, even in a near $300,000 car. Definitely not classic Ferrari V8-like and for that reason, I'd rather own a 430 or 458. At this point though, it looks like gently-used specimens are going for $300k+ these days.

If I only had $600k:

\https://preowned.ferrari.com/en-US/a...-1659697309833

Last edited by JetDriver; 09-11-2022 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-11-2022, 08:22 PM   #27
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetDriver View Post
I've had some seat time in both the F430 Scuderia with the F1 tranny and the 488 GTB. I drove the 430 on public backroads and the 488 on a fairly tight roadcourse. While I think the 488 looks much better inside and out, the 430 had more personality. It sounded better and felt more raw. The 488 is a beast. It weighs 300-400lb more than the 430, but has 150 more hp and 200 ft-lb more torque. Easily the fastest car I've ever driven. If I wasn't being hugged by at least a half cow-full of premium Italian leather I would have been hanging on to the steering wheel with my feet out behind me while this thing accelerated. Tons of grip. Tons of braking. Tons of acceleration. I got it up to about 110 on the straight-away and it hadn't even stretched its legs yet. With that being said, the turbo lag was noticeable, even in a near $300,000 car. Definitely not classic Ferrari V8-like and for that reason, I'd rather own a 430 or 458. At this point though, it looks like gently-used specimens are going for $300k+ these days.
Always loved the 430's. I actually like the Liberty Walk one😂. It's a bit riced out but looks pretty sick still
Appreciate 1
Nate.G82521.00
      09-12-2022, 10:41 AM   #28
sds
Rep
Drives: BRZ

I'm actually coming to an M3 from a 991.2 GTS. If you're looking for drama--I wouldn't look at the 992 GTS--it's a shockingly quick, competent car, but it's also so incredibly usable that it feels like less of an "event" when you drive it.
Appreciate 1
Nate.G82521.00
      09-12-2022, 11:09 AM   #29
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sds View Post
I'm actually coming to an M3 from a 991.2 GTS. If you're looking for drama--I wouldn't look at the 992 GTS--it's a shockingly quick, competent car, but it's also so incredibly usable that it feels like less of an "event" when you drive it.
I appreciate your experience and input! I felt that might be the case after driving my M4. I've never owned a 911 GTS but I have extensively driven them, sometimes months at a time (especially the .2). When I hopped in the G82, it felt like home but updated and renovated. The .2 GTS I drove is still lighter on its feet but this was also pretty light but shockingly more exhilarating to me.

Thank you for reaffirming my suspicion that it wouldn't be a big event compared to what I have now. Like others have said, I would assume the GT3 would be more of an occasion. The markup is definitely a type of occasion
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 11:45 AM   #30
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:

If I only had $600k:

\https://preowned.ferrari.com/en-US/a...-1659697309833
That 458 is gorgeous!!! I love Ferrari's in blue, I'd argue that the Ferrari blues compliment the styling of Ferrari's post 2010 design language the best... although I'm probably biased because I just love blue on cars.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2022, 11:55 AM   #31
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Update: I've narrowed down to Mclaren's and Ferrari's (458 and F430 seem to be an overall favorite) thanks to everyone's inputs! I didn't want to leave y'all hanging since that's how some of these threads end up. Recently had seat time in the 430, it was a blast and it clearly aged well. I genuinely think at this point that circumstance will dictate which car I end up with. Some things happened and I had to choose between a new house or a "new" car... going to choose the house for obvious reasons.

I genuinely appreciate everyone's input, you guys are the best. I've been a part of this community for a relatively short amount of time, but I've been lurking for much longer and everyone is full of knowledge and passion here. I'd appreciate any further opinions of course, and it's always nice seeing what catches your eyes! Hopefully I can give another update when I have another opportunity to catch an exotic.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 12:09 PM   #32
Cosworthstag
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4 G80

I think I have the perfect pair. Came from a AMG GT 63s as a daily, 991.2 Targa 4s mapped to 520bhp as the middle car and Ferrari California T as the summer car.

AMG big old lump maybe too big hence the M4 xDrive. Big let's down was the service not the car!
991.2 great car got every single on of them 520 ponies out of it. Handles like a go cart. AMG GT went in February so used the 991.2 as DD.
Ferrari California T first into to Ferrari and kept for 7 years till the free services finished lol. Could still smell the leather like brand new the day the dealer took it away.

Had M4 since June, service done 4 weeks ago. My first BMW so first M car. Totally impressed beats the 991.2 for comfort and space of course. Technology best for me beats the AMG's I've had. Stares equally pegging to the Cali T. Right size car for me, could have had M5 but on par with the GT a little big.

Got a Ferrari F8 Spider in March. OMG what a car, best description I have seen for it and totally describes it perfect 488 Pista in a suit. Probably a bit too fast for roads but hay ho. Handles corners like it's on rails, well in the dry. Comfortable on any long run. Went for the standard sets where as M4 the buckets. Mainly to have the electric adjustment where as buckets are manual and heated seat being in the UK.

What makes me say take a look at Ferrari. Yes the cars are fantastic, so are Lamborghini and McLaren. Having had a Urus but being 6 feet tall the 2 seaters there's not enough head room for me in Lamborghinis. McLarens I was fine. Then there's the doors can park the F8 anywhere. What is the icing on the car is the dealers attention to your needs. Maserati loan car when in for service. Dealer follow ups, made to feel as welcome as all their multi millionaires and celebrities.
      09-12-2022, 12:22 PM   #33
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosworthstag View Post
I think I have the perfect pair. Came from a AMG GT 63s as a daily, 991.2 Targa 4s mapped to 520bhp as the middle car and Ferrari California T as the summer car.

AMG big old lump maybe too big hence the M4 xDrive. Big let's down was the service not the car!
991.2 great car got every single on of them 520 ponies out of it. Handles like a go cart. AMG GT went in February so used the 991.2 as DD.
Ferrari California T first into to Ferrari and kept for 7 years till the free services finished lol. Could still smell the leather like brand new the day the dealer took it away.

Had M4 since June, service done 4 weeks ago. My first BMW so first M car. Totally impressed beats the 991.2 for comfort and space of course. Technology best for me beats the AMG's I've had. Stares equally pegging to the Cali T. Right size car for me, could have had M5 but on par with the GT a little big.

Got a Ferrari F8 Spider in March. OMG what a car, best description I have seen for it and totally describes it perfect 488 Pista in a suit. Probably a bit too fast for roads but hay ho. Handles corners like it's on rails, well in the dry. Comfortable on any long run. Went for the standard sets where as M4 the buckets. Mainly to have the electric adjustment where as buckets are manual and heated seat being in the UK.

What makes me say take a look at Ferrari. Yes the cars are fantastic, so are Lamborghini and McLaren. Having had a Urus but being 6 feet tall the 2 seaters there's not enough head room for me in Lamborghinis. McLarens I was fine. Then there's the doors can park the F8 anywhere. What is the icing on the car is the dealers attention to your needs. Maserati loan car when in for service. Dealer follow ups, made to feel as welcome as all their multi millionaires and celebrities.
I'm glad you're loving the M4! Happy we got you on that as it seems to fit your needs much better than the M8. I took a look at the F8 as well. Absolute stunner. Ferrari's and Mclaren's design is something I love about them, especially on the F8. Everything was designed with purpose. I haven't had a chance to drive, but I've heard the F8 is a much more refined car than the 488. Basically tackled all the issues customers did not enjoy about the 488. I've also heard that sound isn't glorious for the F8. Could you elaborate on that? I can never tell when people are overtly nitpicky or there's actually a concern. Congrats on the F8 by the way, sounds like you really do have an ideal garage setup!

Also, thanks for mentioning head space and ownership experience as well. I'm 6'3 so Lambo's were a no go. I can imagine getting in and out of an F8 is much more elegant than me squeezing out of the 675LT.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 01:44 PM   #34
JetDriver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet :(

Quote:
That 458 is gorgeous!!! I love Ferrari's in blue, I'd argue that the Ferrari blues compliment the styling of Ferrari's post 2010 design language the best... although I'm probably biased because I just love blue on cars.
I'd never buy a red Ferrari. Too cliché.

Probably the most stunning I think I've seen yet:

Appreciate 2
      09-12-2022, 02:53 PM   #35
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:

That last one is breathtaking. What a color!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 04:06 PM   #36
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm glad you're loving the M4! Happy we got you on that as it seems to fit your needs much better than the M8. I took a look at the F8 as well. Absolute stunner. Ferrari's and Mclaren's design is something I love about them, especially on the F8. Everything was designed with purpose. I haven't had a chance to drive, but I've heard the F8 is a much more refined car than the 488. Basically tackled all the issues customers did not enjoy about the 488. I've also heard that sound isn't glorious for the F8. Could you elaborate on that? I can never tell when people are overtly nitpicky or there's actually a concern. Congrats on the F8 by the way, sounds like you really do have an ideal garage setup!

Also, thanks for mentioning head space and ownership experience as well. I'm 6'3 so Lambo's were a no go. I can imagine getting in and out of an F8 is much more elegant than me squeezing out of the 675LT.
If you go Ferrari, just have a good spot to take it for service. Even better to find someone who knows them inside and out, not a dealer. Good luck!!
Appreciate 1
Nate.G82521.00
      09-12-2022, 04:43 PM   #37
Cosworthstag
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The only downside to the M4 is is so quite lol
To me the sound of the F8 is about right it's loader than the Cali T was. Nice in the morning when it's not yet warm enough to take the roof off, to have the rear window down and hear the noise. One thing I haven't been able to do though is pop the exhausts on gear changes like the Cali T did. The F8 is never going to beat the 458 or a V10 for sound but the drive, the glide round corners and excitement think it's a keeper for me.
Attached Images

09-12-2022, 04:45 PM   #38
Cosworthstag
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That last one is breathtaking. What a color!
Beautiful spec 👍
      10-13-2022, 07:40 PM   #39
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

911 turbo s or gt3 are my halo cars so I’d stop there.
Still be hella expensive, but less than an Italian exotic most likely.

You can rent one for the fair sum of $1,000 per HOUR.

https://www.porschedriving.com/atlan...ca-911turbogt3
Appreciate 1
Nate.G82521.00
      10-14-2022, 01:57 AM   #40
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

I'd go for the 458, but if it's only going to be a weekend car anyway, I gotta say - try to find a spyder rather than coupe. And I'm with ya on the blue, particularly deep blues like Tanzanite.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 1
Nate.G82521.00
      10-14-2022, 03:11 AM   #41
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:

Some say cliche, I’d say quintessential!
Red Ferrari is amazing.
I mean that, not being just disagreeable here. I think the red is just the best on that brand’s cars. If I ever got half a million bucks for a car it’d have to be a red Ferrari. Then I’d play the Magnum PI theme every time I start it up.
Appreciate 1
Nate.G82521.00
      10-14-2022, 01:55 PM   #42
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
I'd go for the 458, but if it's only going to be a weekend car anyway, I gotta say - try to find a spyder rather than coupe. And I'm with ya on the blue, particularly deep blues like Tanzanite.
I've been looking exclusively into spyders haha

I love the open air feel with those high end engines. Had the pleasure of driving a yellow 458 spyder around and it was magical!
Appreciate 1