home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

12-08-2021, 12:18 PM   #1
6speedNJ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Base

Snow or All Seasons

Sorry if this has been discussed already. I don't plan to drive the car in snow, but I do want to take it out during the winter - better to get snow tires or all seasons? And if I get all seasons, do i need a square set or i can still do staggered?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 01:13 PM   #2
csayad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 Competi ...  [8.57]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjamminNJ View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed already. I don't plan to drive the car in snow, but I do want to take it out during the winter - better to get snow tires or all seasons? And if I get all seasons, do i need a square set or i can still do staggered?
Quote:
I just ordered Conti dws06 plus's for winter because the prices for winters are ludicrous.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 01:33 PM   #3
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

If you won't be driving in the snow then all seasons will be fine. I plan to do the same
Appreciate 1
Ronin76739.00
      12-08-2021, 02:15 PM   #4
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

If you don't drive in snow or ice the PS AS4 is better in cold weather than any dedicated winter tire.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 02:37 PM   #5
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

I put on PS4 AS about a month ago and they seem great so far. I don't plan on driving in snow but been caught in past unexpected so these should do just fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #6
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3/ Yas Marina Blue

All of these people saying to not drive all seasons in snow have me worried. When I had a 340i I had all seasons and live where I drove in heavy snow quite often. Granted I never once would drive like an idiot and played it safe but I never recall sliding around or anything. Are all seasons really not meant to be used in snow? I feel dumb now.
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50
      12-09-2021, 11:55 AM   #7
ram9cc
Private
Rep
Drives: -

I ended up calling my dealer and talking to their official wheel/tire expert.

They were able to arrange in 7 days to get a set of 829 matte Black 19x9 ET20 rims. It was $3222 with install balance etc.

It's a square set with a winter tire 275/35R19 100V XL

The advantage of having a square set is I can rotate them and I can eat them up at an autocross without munching up the stock 18x9.5-275 , 19x10.5-285 rims

I believe this is the part number of the rim 36-10-8-093-844 they also have a part number for the set and for the front or rear with tire.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2021, 11:56 AM   #8
ram9cc
Private
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likeanowl View Post
All of these people saying to not drive all seasons in snow have me worried. When I had a 340i I had all seasons and live where I drove in heavy snow quite often. Granted I never once would drive like an idiot and played it safe but I never recall sliding around or anything. Are all seasons really not meant to be used in snow? I feel dumb now.
Some places have mountain passes and roads that will not let you enter unless you have a 'snowflake' stamped on the tyre.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 08:03 AM   #9
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
There's a very good video showing a comparison test on Tirerack.
The difference is significant.
IF you do plan on driving in the snow/ice, definitely go with dedicated winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 08:19 AM   #10
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
There's a very good video showing a comparison test on Tirerack.
The difference is significant.
IF you do plan on driving in the snow/ice, definitely go with dedicated winter tires.
^^^ This.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 11:16 AM   #11
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
There are some people that will say all seasons = a no season tire. Meaning for performance cars they don't do anything 'amazing'. Meaning they're just simply good for everyday use.

The reality is with x-drive and all season tires most people would do just fine, so as long as they don't need to drive in any significant snow.

If you have a job where you must be in during snow and icy conditions, dedicated winter tires are a must. The tread patterns and the tire compounds allow for the best ice and snow performance.

With X-Drive + All season tires (old 328s and 335s) I never had any issues.

With X-Drive + Winter Tires - I've been able to confidently and safely pass many driving situations others wouldn't have.

With RWD + Winter Tires - I got into trouble once. It was a day we had 2 inches of snow dumped down during rush hour traffic. I got into trouble only because of other drivers - meaning they went so slow and my region is so hilly, I didn't have enough momentum to get up some hills at very low speeds. Additionally, I had about 3-4 inches on my driveway once and couldn't get up in my RWD M3 (I shouldn't expect to though).

So make your decision based on your own individual circumstances. I live in the northeast so have for the past 10 years, had dedicated snow and summer tires. My wife's X5 has all seasons, and has performed just fine.
Appreciate 1
Gfit2716.00
      12-16-2021, 07:21 PM   #12
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (2014), M3 (2021)

Quote:
Millions of people drive all seasons all year every year. Most people don't buy winter tires ever, even in places with snow.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 09:10 AM   #13
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jproos View Post
Millions of people drive all seasons all year every year. Most people don't buy winter tires ever, even in places with snow.
Not quite a fair apples-to-apples comparison. Fair enough, millions of people drive all seasons all year every year. But that includes the narrow width, high-aspect-ratio, much lower performance all seasons that come on most cars. Which are naturally much better in snow and ice than a 275+ width, stiff sidewall max performance all season.

Of the subset of people that drive, year round, high performance cars on huge, wide, all-season steamrollers, perhaps a much bigger percentage swap to winters if their cars are going to see winter weather...

I don't switch to snows for my truck, or for typical SUVs. But the Ms typically get tires swapped, or parked.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 11:11 AM   #14
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

I do not plan on snow driving, so i got the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s for cold weather driving. If you are not driving in the snow, you don't need snow/winter tires.

This is a good video comparing the michelin options

Appreciate 3
Llarry15980.00
      12-17-2021, 12:19 PM   #15
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyfreebooter View Post
I do not plan on snow driving, so i got the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s for cold weather driving. If you are not driving in the snow, you don't need snow/winter tires.

That video never gets old! Must have been a blast to make.

Those pilot sport all seasons are a great tire. For a performance car that will see freezing cold but not snow/ice, in my opinion absolutely one of the best tires made today.

Flame suit on, I've even enjoyed them all year on cars where I quickly tire of cording super sports or cup 2s Still up in the air what I'll do when my tire-lottery-losing P Zeros are bald sometime this summer...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 01:54 PM   #16
mlover789
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IG: m3npae - M3C G80

Looking to get all season for winter as it doesn't snow where I am but it does get below 40f. Will not drive in snow or anything..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 06:43 PM   #17
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlover789 View Post
Looking to get all season for winter as it doesn't snow where I am but it does get below 40f. Will not drive in snow or anything..
That works, as long as you understand that you are giving up a bit of performance in extreme sport driving. I will accept that as the price for being above to drive in cold temps without changing over to winter tires. (I've got a Macan with winter tires when it gets dicey.)
      12-20-2021, 06:24 PM   #18
6speedNJ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyfreebooter View Post

Did you get a square set or just changed the tires on the original wheels?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 06:39 PM   #19
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

Quote:
Did you get a square set or just changed the tires on the original wheels?
i will be tracking the g80 probably 6-8 times per calendar year and since they changed the bolt pattern from 5x120 to 5x112 f80 -> g80, i just initially got a set of the BMW 963M wheels to use for both winter and track.
I am using the stock tire sizes, 275/35R19 front and 285/30R20 in back with the pilot sport all season 4s.

i will be using the 963M wheels for track wheels until some more aftermarket options become available and depending on the the front tire wear on the track (given that g80 is a quite the heavy car), i will consider a square setup so i can at least rotate front/rear while tracking. unclear with a camber plate setup how much more the fronts will wear over the rear, so this is basically a temporary setup until i can get out on track in 2022
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-20-2021, 09:28 PM   #20
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (2014), M3 (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePower View Post
Quote:
Not quite a fair apples-to-apples comparison. Fair enough, millions of people drive all seasons all year every year. But that includes the narrow width, high-aspect-ratio, much lower performance all seasons that come on most cars. Which are naturally much better in snow and ice than a 275+ width, stiff sidewall max performance all season.

Of the subset of people that drive, year round, high performance cars on huge, wide, all-season steamrollers, perhaps a much bigger percentage swap to winters if their cars are going to see winter weather...

I don't switch to snows for my truck, or for typical SUVs. But the Ms typically get tires swapped, or parked.
That's a fair point and I'm currently living in "we'll see if it can work at all" camp as I couldn't get full winters for the 18/19's on my G80 6MT and would rather not buy a dedicated set of rims.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 10:47 AM   #21
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's a fair point and I'm currently living in "we'll see if it can work at all" camp as I couldn't get full winters for the 18/19's on my G80 6MT and would rather not buy a dedicated set of rims.
I totally feel you on this one. While my G80 6-speed was taking its time to get from Bremerhaven to the NJ port (where it then enjoyed the seaside view for a little while thanks to stop sales), I ordered a winter set of wheels and tires long before taking delivery (figuring worst case, if the car never showed up, I could re-sell them).

In my case, I don't leave the garage intending to drive it in snow or ice, but the back roads I drive daily have shaded areas where you'll come around the corner thinking you're on a dry road on a sunny 35 degree day, and find yourself on solid ice for the rest of the corner.

I'm genuinely curious to hear how the all-seasons handle the Michigan roads this winter, and wish you fun and safe winter driving on them!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 05:51 PM   #22
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Depends where in Ohio you live, whether you must get somewhere regardless of road conditions (e.g., physician on call), and your comfort level on low/no-grip surfaces.

For instance, if you live northeast of Cleveland (Lake Erie snow belt), get dedicated winter tires. If you live in relatively flat (vs. hilly Appalachian) terrain, or along/south of I-70; consider all-seasons. If you hate slipping and/or sliding, think hard about winter tires.

I drive xDrive BMWs (loaner and customer cars) all over northern Michigan, where we get 75"-125" snow every winter. All-season tires on ice or accumulated snow is no picnic, but I adjust my inputs and sightlines according to conditions.

For our own BMWs, it's winter tires or nothing. I've plowed through deep powder with ease and navigated black ice with reasonable care and confidence.
Appreciate 1