BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

06-13-2023, 06:06 AM   #23
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson11 View Post
I have done both with Protool. No issues.
You must have an older car. I can't code a bunch of modules on my 2023 G80.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 12:48 PM   #24
Anderson11
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
You must have an older car. I can't code a bunch of modules on my 2023 G80.
FYI. I am driving a 2023 M4C. Can't beat having ESYS on a Samsung S22 Ultra. PoTools is incredibly comprehensive. You have to spend some time with it. Good luck!

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1686678424
Attached Images

Last edited by Anderson11; 06-13-2023 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      06-13-2023, 12:54 PM   #25
GScott
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Pending ‘23 M3

I’m guessing the difference is you are on iDrive 7 where the ‘23 G80’s are on iDrive 8.
Appreciate 1
forcefed2562.50
      06-13-2023, 01:45 PM   #26
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

You guys also need to keep in mind, brand new cars with brand new CAFD mappings take time to implement into protool. So even if some features are missing now, it'll be implemented in the future, protool isn't a fixed stationary app that never changes, it is dynamic and changes as newer cars are released - you just need to wait a bit.

But that's just how it is when you have a cutting edge car.
      06-13-2023, 03:08 PM   #27
Anderson11
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
You guys also need to keep in mind, brand new cars with brand new CAFD mappings take time to implement into protool. So even if some features are missing now, it'll be implemented in the future, protool isn't a fixed stationary app that never changes, it is dynamic and changes as newer cars are released - you just need to wait a bit.

But that's just how it is when you have a cutting edge car.
I checked with the FB PT group and this is what the Admin had to say.

Just curious. Do users of the G8x platform using iDrive 7 and 8 have the same have the same (all) of the Protool coding options?

"iDrive 7 yes, iDrive 8 things like video in motion for one since the speedlock menu is not accessible. We give you access to everything possible, iDrive8 also introduced new coding modules that can only be accessed from BMW cloud servers at this time which seem to be tied to the BPC and Kombi modules at this time."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BimmerGeeksProTool
      06-13-2023, 07:36 PM   #28
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I checked with the FB PT group and this is what the Admin had to say.

Just curious. Do users of the G8x platform using iDrive 7 and 8 have the same have the same (all) of the Protool coding options?

"iDrive 7 yes, iDrive 8 things like video in motion for one since the speedlock menu is not accessible. We give you access to everything possible, iDrive8 also introduced new coding modules that can only be accessed from BMW cloud servers at this time which seem to be tied to the BPC and Kombi modules at this time."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BimmerGeeksProTool
That's right, bmw is moving to cloud servers to try and stop coding. If that's the case then there is likely no work around for the individual coder, there might be exploits sooner or later but likely that'll only be through a coding service.
      06-14-2023, 02:16 AM   #29
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I just wanted to let you guys know I just recieved my BM3 wifi adapter in today and tested it with protool, and it works perfectly! So if you were looking to buy a wifi adapter I would highly recommend the BM3 wifi version over the currently available models (review coming soon which will explain exactly why).
BM3 wifi adapter review: https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2025512
      07-08-2023, 09:35 PM   #30
OzDrives
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 RWD 6SP

Has anyone successfully coded CS EPS settings onto G80 using Protool? The f8x EPS coding instructions (https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4#post29968214) do not seem to apply as the "Variantencodierung Normal" is missing from the EPS coding menu.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 10:13 PM   #31
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz_337 View Post
Has anyone successfully coded CS EPS settings onto G80 using Protool? The f8x EPS coding instructions (https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4#post29968214) do not seem to apply as the "Variantencodierung Normal" is missing from the EPS coding menu.
It's different on the G8x cars, talk to protool to see if they know the parameters.
      09-19-2023, 11:33 PM   #32
tedesco_sc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 540i

Does anyone know if this can also disable auto start/stop?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 11:42 PM   #33
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedesco_sc View Post
Does anyone know if this can also disable auto start/stop?
I believe I recall seeing auto start/stop coding options but I can't remember if you can disable it though. You should email protool for more help on this.
      09-20-2023, 11:00 PM   #34
Hyura
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Came across this recently. AD coding begins at 8:15. I have not enabled AD in my car yet.
Ahh, yes. This is one of my earlier videos. Definitely much more I can elaborate on/discuss in more clarity. Please let me know if anyone have any questions on that.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 11:46 AM   #35
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyura View Post
Ahh, yes. This is one of my earlier videos. Definitely much more I can elaborate on/discuss in more clarity. Please let me know if anyone have any questions on that.

For a novice, having used both, is there any reason to go with Bimmercode over Protools?

I'm going to get the anti-dazzle headlights and CS coding done by kubax86 when my car gets here but otherwise want to be able to code the "quality of life" stuff myself.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 12:02 PM   #36
Hyura
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
For a novice, having used both, is there any reason to go with Bimmercode over Protools?

I'm going to get the anti-dazzle headlights and CS coding done by kubax86 when my car gets here but otherwise want to be able to code the "quality of life" stuff myself.
It honestly depends on what device you have. But if you have an android, I download the free trial of bimmercode and see if you like the interface on that. Bimmercode, in my opinion, is more beginner friendly and have like ~95% of all the coding options available in ProTools.

One thing I did notice, is the BDC loading and coding takes forever on Bimmercode, relative to ProTools but it can be because im using bluetooth adapter vs a Wifi adapter with ProTools.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 12:08 PM   #37
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I do go over that on my review. But the gist of it is that protool can access everything esys can which means you ideally can code everything on the car that is codeable. With bimmercode you are limited to what they allow you to code. So on the F series cars for example you can code steering, diff, and traction control with protool but you can't with bimmercode. And that's just a small difference in what it can do, it can do so much more because it's capable of coding every module in the car like esys.
      09-21-2023, 02:39 PM   #38
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyura View Post
It honestly depends on what device you have. But if you have an android, I download the free trial of bimmercode and see if you like the interface on that. Bimmercode, in my opinion, is more beginner friendly and have like ~95% of all the coding options available in ProTools.

One thing I did notice, is the BDC loading and coding takes forever on Bimmercode, relative to ProTools but it can be because im using bluetooth adapter vs a Wifi adapter with ProTools.
thanks. I have an iphone, but I do have a ethernet / OBD cable from back in the day when I was trying to do ESYS on my F10 and gave up, lol.

Quote:
I do go over that on my review. But the gist of it is that protool can access everything esys can which means you ideally can code everything on the car that is codeable. With bimmercode you are limited to what they allow you to code. So on the F series cars for example you can code steering, diff, and traction control with protool but you can't with bimmercode. And that's just a small difference in what it can do, it can do so much more because it's capable of coding every module in the car like esys.
I did get that. But I gave up on trying esys back in the day. I like the Bimmercode ease of use. As long as you can do either / or with protool from a GUI perspective and not have to get too deep into the modules, I'll be able to learn as I go.

Learning on straight ESYS back in the day was just too much.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 02:57 PM   #39
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
thanks. I have an iphone, but I do have a ethernet / OBD cable from back in the day when I was trying to do ESYS on my F10 and gave up, lol.

I did get that. But I gave up on trying esys back in the day. I like the Bimmercode ease of use. As long as you can do either / or with protool from a GUI perspective and not have to get too deep into the modules, I'll be able to learn as I go.

Learning on straight ESYS back in the day was just too much.
Protool has a pretty friendly GUI interface so you should be fine imo. Then if you want to go indepth use expert mode.
      09-21-2023, 06:28 PM   #40
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Perhaps I missed it but…is a tablet with Internet required for using the tool, or can I download and license the app at home on WiFi and use the tool standalone (no WiFi or cellular) during in-car use?

Is there a cheap suggested device to get the job done? I don’t need a large tablet of extra gauges under my iDrive8. The cockpit is already a bit too bright and busy.
      09-21-2023, 06:56 PM   #41
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Perhaps I missed it but…is a tablet with Internet required for using the tool, or can I download and license the app at home on WiFi and use the tool standalone (no WiFi or cellular) during in-car use?

Is there a cheap suggested device to get the job done? I don’t need a large tablet of extra gauges under my iDrive8. The cockpit is already a bit too bright and busy.
You can use it completely offline. All you need to do is download the app on wifi, and sign into your account via wifi and you are good to go offline.

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 lite, disable all the animations and it is actually decently quick for a $80 CAD tablet (I got it super cheap on sale). So if you want something cheap you can leave in your car this is a pretty good choice imo, it also uses a standard lcd screen so you don't have to worry about burn in if you leave it on for hours and hours on gauges.
TopJimmy5460.00
      09-21-2023, 09:15 PM   #42
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You can use it completely offline. All you need to do is download the app on wifi, and sign into your account via wifi and you are good to go offline.

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 lite, disable all the animations and it is actually decently quick for a $80 CAD tablet (I got it super cheap on sale). So if you want something cheap you can leave in your car this is a pretty good choice imo, it also uses a standard lcd screen so you don't have to worry about burn in if you leave it on for hours and hours on gauges.
It you can use it on a phone and not have to have it on except when coding, correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 09:26 PM   #43
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
It you can use it on a phone and not have to have it on except when coding, correct?
I didn't really understand what you wrote here so I am going to assume you are asking, after you use protool to code your car the changes are permanent and you don't need to have your phone connected. Is this correct?

If that is your question then yes, after the coding is done you don't need to have your phone connected anymore. The coding changes are permanently applied to the car - of course you can undo the changes whenever you want.
TopJimmy5460.00
      09-22-2023, 08:15 AM   #44
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I didn't really understand what you wrote here so I am going to assume you are asking, after you use protool to code your car the changes are permanent and you don't need to have your phone connected. Is this correct?

If that is your question then yes, after the coding is done you don't need to have your phone connected anymore. The coding changes are permanently applied to the car - of course you can undo the changes whenever you want.
Yes, that is my question. You confused me above by discussing a cheap tablet and leaving it in your car and I was wondering why you would do that instead of just installing it on your phone. I guess a tablet would be easier to read.
Appreciate 0