BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-17-2022, 02:21 PM   #45
spridge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spridge View Post
OEM (left) / Bavsound (right)
Could you give us a before & after feedback on the USW replacement?
I've had mine replaced on the F87 but I replaced all components along with a DSP at the same time, so I can't comment on the difference on them alone.

My gut tells me it'll require more power to tell any noticeable improvements.
The improvement that I've noticed since replacing the woofers is more about quality than volume. The Bavsound speakers can handle a wider range of frequency and the full amplifier load without sounding "muddy". I'm likely to add a powered sub next, but I do think that the replacement of the underseat woofers was worthwhile.
Appreciate 2
vitipr171.00
      03-17-2022, 02:37 PM   #46
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
The improvement that I've noticed since replacing the woofers is more about quality than volume. The Bavsound speakers can handle a wider range of frequency and the full amplifier load without sounding "muddy". I'm likely to add a powered sub next, but I do think that the replacement of the underseat woofers was worthwhile.
I appreciate the feedback.
I can't wait to replace all components with an aftermarket solution once there's a turnkey solution available.
I was impressed with Integral Audio's package on the F87, hoping they'll release one for the G8x soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 04:05 PM   #47
androidtopp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Focus ST, 2022 M3Cx

Garage List
2013 Ford Focus  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I did the Bavsound underseat woofer replacement on my G80 several months ago. No heat gun or drilling needed. Literally took less than 30 minutes total. You don't even have to remove the seats. Just unbolt them and tip them back. Don't worry about creating squeaks or rattles either - once you see how the seats are fastened to the rails, you'll see why that isn't a concern.
OK, that's super helpful regarding no heat gun, no drilling, install time...perfect! I know I sound like a scaredy-cat here, but even though I have a heat gun and a drill, I don't necessarily want to use them in the car, haha!
Appreciate 1
spridge646.00
      03-18-2022, 09:58 AM   #48
rgrovr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

Exactly what others have said.. install of the subs for me did not require a heatgun. I think that's mostly for the G20 series from what I saw.

Now I would recommend some dynamat under the sub when you replace it since its bare sheetmetal underneath it once you take it out. It helps minimize any rattling you may get.
Appreciate 2
BardG212.50
      03-18-2022, 01:44 PM   #49
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrovr View Post
Exactly what others have said.. install of the subs for me did not require a heatgun. I think that's mostly for the G20 series from what I saw.

Now I would recommend some dynamat under the sub when you replace it since its bare sheetmetal underneath it once you take it out. It helps minimize any rattling you may get.
Excellent advise. When I changed my subs out of my F10 M5, they rattled the baffles like crazy. Dynamat solved that and made the bass sound better too. I ended up doing the door speakers as well and was blown away at how much nicer it all sounded. Much less "hollow".
      03-20-2022, 01:38 PM   #50
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Excellent advise. When I changed my subs out of my F10 M5, they rattled the baffles like crazy. Dynamat solved that and made the bass sound better too. I ended up doing the door speakers as well and was blown away at how much nicer it all sounded. Much less "hollow".
You upgrade the speakers in the F10 only or in your G80?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 01:41 PM   #51
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
Quote:
You upgrade the speakers in the F10 only or in your G80?
Only my old F10 M5. The sub enclosure ran into the side skirts. It would rattle those. I have no clue if the G80 enclosure design does that too. But some dynamatt cant hurt and only helps it sound more solid.
      03-22-2022, 11:54 PM   #52
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Did you end up 'Feeling' the bass a bit more? I've noticed on bassy songs, the M3 Bass almost doesn't exist. Have messed with the tone settings a lot and no success yet.

Also - has anyone tried upgrading the other speakers or amp? If so - how'd it go?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 12:55 PM   #53
rgrovr
Lieutenant
Rep

Just added this Amp/Sub enclosure with the TechnicPNP harness. Was easy as pie and definitely provides the low-end bass response I was looking for atop the BavSound Stage1 + Ghost subs upgraded I already did.

Only issue is that the winglets on the CF side skirts and rear bumper resonate with the bass outside the car from the new subwoofer in the trunk. Probably not much can be done about it, but at least inside the car the sound is perfect tho

Name:  PXL_20220324_105438743.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  825.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 01:01 PM   #54
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Just added this Amp/Sub enclosure with the TechnicPNP harness. Was easy as pie and definitely provides the low-end bass response I was looking for atop the BavSound Stage1 + Ghost subs upgraded I already did.

Only issue is that the winglets on the CF side skirts and rear bumper resonate with the bass outside the car from the new subwoofer in the trunk. Probably not much can be done about it, but at least inside the car the sound is perfect tho

Did you disable active sound?
      03-25-2022, 02:50 PM   #55
rgrovr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Did you disable active sound?
Yea I did that 1st day with the car
Appreciate 1
BIGW0RM3156.00
      03-25-2022, 08:50 PM   #56
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Quote:

Attachment 2843647
I'm having trouble visualizing where you placed this sub. Is it in the trunk behind the "drivers side"? And how did you connect it?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 04:39 PM   #57
hockeygoalie35
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Comp XDrive

Installed the BavSound Ghost Subs. Installation took me about an hour, and was extremely easy, just 12 bolts/screws per side (no heat gun like the instructions said)! Lows and Mids sound much clearer!

View post on imgur.com
2015 F32 - Sold
2009 E90 - Sold

Last edited by hockeygoalie35; 03-26-2022 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 06:01 PM   #58
rgrovr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardG View Post
I'm having trouble visualizing where you placed this sub. Is it in the trunk behind the "drivers side"? And how did you connect it?
In the trunk on driver-side facing rear of car.

The TechnicPNP harness connects to your amp/booster, then from there to a Line Output Converter (comes with kit if you order) then RCA cable to the Amp/Subwoofer.

The Subwoofer power is connected right to battery under trunk and ground to ground in there as well.

takes about 1hr to do.
Appreciate 1
BardG212.50
      03-26-2022, 06:16 PM   #59
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:

The TechnicPNP harness connects to your amp/booster, then from there to a Line Output Converter (comes with kit if you order) then RCA cable to the Amp/Subwoofer.

The Subwoofer power is connected right to battery under trunk and ground to ground in there as well.

takes about 1hr to do.
Some feel differently about this. But I'd personally never ground the amp to the battery negative. Amp goes to the frame only for best safety.
      03-26-2022, 06:36 PM   #60
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

takes about 1hr to do.
Gotcha, so it uses the trunk cavity, nice! Thank You
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 06:40 PM   #61
ibmc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 Comp G82 RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3EEE View Post
Like most people in here I am not pleased with the sound quality of the HK system in the 2022 g80 and have come across a few options here:

1) bimmer-tech:

AMP:
Kies Motorsport posted an inspiring video with install instructions for bimmer-tech's amp. Has anyone installed this? Is there a noticeable improvement? Issues post installation? Also, I couldn't see the amp as an option available for my vin but I am understanding that it's available for the g20 and since it's the same as the g80 shouldn't be any problem.

Speakers:
They also have speakers (it's the only thing that had displayed as items available for my vin on their site). I'm hearing that changing the speakers may not be the way to go. Any advice or opinions about speakers?

2) bavasound:

AMP:
This site was user friendly and helpful with showing what id available on their product line. AMP is first thing that's recommended.

Speakers:
They also have a stage 1 speaker upgrade and I am unsure about how much better they are than stock speakers.

Ghost subwoofer:
I remember seeing this ad on instagram and intrigued. Anyone install these? Feedback and advice are greatly appreciated!

3) BimmerCode settings:
Seems like there are some preset sound settings in BimmerCode that allow for sound improvement. I haven't even used BimmerCode yet and will likely purchase the OBD connector so I can start with a cheaper upgrade while considering the other options.

Also, anyone use the bimmer code settings with any of the first two upgrades or anything that would be similar or comparable?

I listen to a lot of music and had a Mark Levinson in my Lexus which has the bass but also isn't best (noticeably better than the HK system however).

I had a 2018 M4 comp and simply put a 400W Class D Rockford Fosgate mono amp under the rear panel, and added my home built, ported and carpeted 10" Boston Acoustics LF10 Pro sub. This added good bass but did take up a bit of trunk space. I did not buy this car for the stereo, but plan on putting that same gear in my 2022 BSM M4 Comp when it arrives in May (currently its on the Harmony Leader headed to Bremerhaven). I have home stereo in 4 rooms, and my main setup includes a PrimaLuna EVO 400 tube amp and (perfect condition) 2006 Klipsch La Scala II's with a HSU 15' sub. So when I want good music, I have it on tap without the road noise. Very interesting to hear all the mods available though. Keep on rockin'
Appreciate 1
BardG212.50
      03-26-2022, 08:26 PM   #62
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3EEE View Post
Like most people in here I am not pleased with the sound quality of the HK system in the 2022 g80 and have come across a few options here:

1) bimmer-tech:

AMP:
Kies Motorsport posted an inspiring video with install instructions for bimmer-tech's amp. Has anyone installed this? Is there a noticeable improvement? Issues post installation? Also, I couldn't see the amp as an option available for my vin but I am understanding that it's available for the g20 and since it's the same as the g80 shouldn't be any problem.

Speakers:
They also have speakers (it's the only thing that had displayed as items available for my vin on their site). I'm hearing that changing the speakers may not be the way to go. Any advice or opinions about speakers?

2) bavasound:

AMP:
This site was user friendly and helpful with showing what id available on their product line. AMP is first thing that's recommended.

Speakers:
They also have a stage 1 speaker upgrade and I am unsure about how much better they are than stock speakers.

Ghost subwoofer:
I remember seeing this ad on instagram and intrigued. Anyone install these? Feedback and advice are greatly appreciated!

3) BimmerCode settings:
Seems like there are some preset sound settings in BimmerCode that allow for sound improvement. I haven't even used BimmerCode yet and will likely purchase the OBD connector so I can start with a cheaper upgrade while considering the other options.

Also, anyone use the bimmer code settings with any of the first two upgrades or anything that would be similar or comparable?

I listen to a lot of music and had a Mark Levinson in my Lexus which has the bass but also isn't best (noticeably better than the HK system however).

I had a 2018 M4 comp and simply put a 400W Class D Rockford Fosgate mono amp under the rear panel, and added my home built, ported and carpeted 10" Boston Acoustics LF10 Pro sub. This added good bass but did take up a bit of trunk space. I did not buy this car for the stereo, but plan on putting that same gear in my 2022 BSM M4 Comp when it arrives in May (currently its on the Harmony Leader headed to Bremerhaven). I have home stereo in 4 rooms, and my main setup includes a PrimaLuna EVO 400 tube amp and (perfect condition) 2006 Klipsch La Scala II's with a HSU 15' sub. So when I want good music, I have it on tap without the road noise. Very interesting to hear all the mods available though. Keep on rockin'
I get that our home system is where the "listening room" is. That said, there's days where I am enjoying a hard spirited drive with my favourite tunes cranked up. Those are great days! And I want that in my G30. (If I ever get it, ha!)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 12:26 PM   #63
Murf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C - Dravit Grey

Curious as to what would be best bang for your buck bass wise while keeping the rest of the system stock - Ghost subs or powered trunk sub.

Edit: I found these on the Crutchfield site - looks like a plug and play alternative to the Bavsound Ghosts for 25% less. Match has a good reputation for amps, does anyone have any thoughts on these?

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-vYrrT1...hoCaOMQAvD_BwE

Last edited by Murf; 03-27-2022 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 02:40 PM   #64
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Just starting now on replacing the speakers and having a hell of a time getting the covers off the rear deck. I figured those would be the easiest to do and it's been a pain in the ass. I can get the clips popped off the front and side, but the back ones seem to be fucking welded on. Only a few inches clearance between the window and trying not to break or scratch anything. Serenity now.

I did snag the procedure for all these off TIS. I swear there are more clips than the diagram shows. If anybody has any tips, good lord let a brother know before he strangles somebody.

edit -- took a break, had some fish sticks, and during round 2 she finally broke loose. Drivers side came out easily. Whatever.. contrary to what I've been told all my life, today I'm a winner
Attached Images
File Type: pdf speakerRearDeckRemoval.pdf (500.6 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by yousefnjr; 03-27-2022 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: victory is mine
Appreciate 3
M2 CCO1098.50
GTS Daddy372.50
      03-29-2022, 09:18 AM   #65
spridge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

I installed this 12" PowerWedge in my trunk over the weekend. It provides far more low frequency sound than typical human M3 drivers might want, and it's fully adjustable from the driving position. For my taste, it's the perfect addition to the existing HK system, and I think I'm finally satisfied with the vehicle audio. TechnicPNP harness is a great solution for easily adding a powered sub. Bonus picture of the remote volume knob that I installed to control the new component.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Eddie2315527.00
M4Tejas788.00
      03-29-2022, 09:42 AM   #66
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I installed this 12" PowerWedge in my trunk over the weekend. It provides far more low frequency sound than typical human M3 drivers might want, and it's fully adjustable from the driving position. For my taste, it's the perfect addition to the existing HK system, and I think I'm finally satisfied with the vehicle audio. TechnicPNP harness is a great solution for easily adding a powered sub. Bonus picture of the remote volume knob that I installed to control the new component.
Nice work!
Appreciate 1
spridge646.00