BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-15-2022, 11:58 PM   #1
Daily_drivX5M
Certified
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW F95 X5 M competition

Best way to improve the sound system audio?

Like most people in here I am not pleased with the sound quality of the HK system in the 2022 g80 and have come across a few options here:

1) bimmer-tech:

AMP:
Kies Motorsport posted an inspiring video with install instructions for bimmer-tech's amp. Has anyone installed this? Is there a noticeable improvement? Issues post installation? Also, I couldn't see the amp as an option available for my vin but I am understanding that it's available for the g20 and since it's the same as the g80 shouldn't be any problem.

Speakers:
They also have speakers (it's the only thing that had displayed as items available for my vin on their site). I'm hearing that changing the speakers may not be the way to go. Any advice or opinions about speakers?

2) bavasound:

AMP:
This site was user friendly and helpful with showing what id available on their product line. AMP is first thing that's recommended.

Speakers:
They also have a stage 1 speaker upgrade and I am unsure about how much better they are than stock speakers.

Ghost subwoofer:
I remember seeing this ad on instagram and intrigued. Anyone install these? Feedback and advice are greatly appreciated!

3) BimmerCode settings:
Seems like there are some preset sound settings in BimmerCode that allow for sound improvement. I haven't even used BimmerCode yet and will likely purchase the OBD connector so I can start with a cheaper upgrade while considering the other options.

Also, anyone use the bimmer code settings with any of the first two upgrades or anything that would be similar or comparable?

I listen to a lot of music and had a Mark Levinson in my Lexus which has the bass but also isn't best (noticeably better than the HK system however).
M4Tejas788.00
Poffman493.00
      02-16-2022, 03:09 AM   #2
rgrovr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

I did the Bavsound Stage1 and subwoofer upgrades. It's a definite change for the better. Much better midrange and bass response, especially at high volume. Bass is much tighter and punchier specifically.

I may do the Amp upgrade soon but none of the options have been certified for the G8x that work on the G20. It will likely work but someone needs to take the hit first before I dive in.
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      02-16-2022, 05:48 AM   #3
agnewfedaykin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xDrive / 2022 M3 Com

Garage List
There's another option that I plan on doing once I get my vehicle as I'm partially invested for my G20 already.

AMP: AudioTec Fischer MatchUp 10DSP with the analog MEC - there's a forum user on the G20 forums that has a DSP profile as it doesn't come standard with it, but I think the company is working on a default one. It also allows for RCA out if you wanted to add an additional amp for some trunk subwoofers I also plan on trying to make some fiberglass stealth boxes that fit in the spaces behind the wheel wells, that's a problem for future me to figure out once I have the vehicle or order the trims to mess around with while I wait not sure yet.

Speakers: Eton BMW speaker replacements that are pretty high quality and also plug and play they have option to replace all 10 speakers. While I haven't held the Hardon Karmon speakers in my hand the magnets are roughly 4x the size of the Top HiFi speakers in the G20 and the cones are considerably more durable. The underwear's pack quite a bit more punch than the stock as well. If I didn't primarily listen to and prefer bass-y music I'd say they what should have came stock as it vastly improves the soundstage and completely that flat tin sound. There testimonials on the G20 forum that when paired with the DSP amp above it's fantastic with the right profile for the car. They have a chart on their website that lists compatible speakers, but I don't know if they have a distributor in the US as I'm overseas for work
M4Tejas788.00
      02-16-2022, 07:43 AM   #4
Daily_drivX5M
Certified
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnewfedaykin View Post
There's another option that I plan on doing once I get my vehicle as I'm partially invested for my G20 already.

AMP: AudioTec Fischer MatchUp 10DSP with the analog MEC - there's a forum user on the G20 forums that has a DSP profile as it doesn't come standard with it, but I think the company is working on a default one. It also allows for RCA out if you wanted to add an additional amp for some trunk subwoofers I also plan on trying to make some fiberglass stealth boxes that fit in the spaces behind the wheel wells, that's a problem for future me to figure out once I have the vehicle or order the trims to mess around with while I wait not sure yet.

Speakers: Eton BMW speaker replacements that are pretty high quality and also plug and play they have option to replace all 10 speakers. While I haven't held the Hardon Karmon speakers in my hand the magnets are roughly 4x the size of the Top HiFi speakers in the G20 and the cones are considerably more durable. The underwear's pack quite a bit more punch than the stock as well. If I didn't primarily listen to and prefer bass-y music I'd say they what should have came stock as it vastly improves the soundstage and completely that flat tin sound. There testimonials on the G20 forum that when paired with the DSP amp above it's fantastic with the right profile for the car. They have a chart on their website that lists compatible speakers, but I don't know if they have a distributor in the US as I'm overseas for work
Is this something you're planning on doing for a
g20 or g80?
      02-16-2022, 09:24 AM   #5
vitipr
Vitipr
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrovr View Post
I did the Bavsound Stage1 and subwoofer upgrades. It's a definite change for the better. Much better midrange and bass response, especially at high volume. Bass is much tighter and punchier specifically.

I may do the Amp upgrade soon but none of the options have been certified for the G8x that work on the G20. It will likely work but someone needs to take the hit first before I dive in.
Can you link the items you bought? Or the items specs? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 05:50 PM   #6
agnewfedaykin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3EEE View Post
Quote:

g20 or g80?
I plan on doing this for my G80. As I would only need the rear deck lid speakers and the amp.
      02-16-2022, 07:29 PM   #7
Daily_drivX5M
Certified
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

g20 or g80?
I plan on doing this for my G80. As I would only need the rear deck lid speakers and the amp.
Mind posting your feedback and results once done?
      02-17-2022, 12:51 AM   #8
agnewfedaykin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, I was planning on doing something! Though not sure how detailed since I can get pretty busy between work, school, and home.
      02-17-2022, 02:01 PM   #9
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

I'm patiently waiting on Integral Audio to come out with a package solution for the G2x/G8x.
I was very pleased with their F87 system and expect something similar or better in terms of sound quality for the G chassis as well.

I was informed they need test vehicles for acoustic measurements and 3D scanning.
So for those of you close to Boston/CT/RI area that are wanting an upgraded sound system, you might be able to get a very steep discount or even potentially some free components if you let them use your car for measurements.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 02:32 PM   #10
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Like most people in here I am not pleased with the sound quality of the HK system in the 2022 g80 and have come across a few options here:

1) bimmer-tech:

AMP:
Kies Motorsport posted an inspiring video with install instructions for bimmer-tech's amp. Has anyone installed this? Is there a noticeable improvement? Issues post installation? Also, I couldn't see the amp as an option available for my vin but I am understanding that it's available for the g20 and since it's the same as the g80 shouldn't be any problem.
BimmerTech amp works only in the HiFi(676) 7ch system, your M3 system is the HK(688) 9ch system.

For the HK(688) system I would suggest the Match UP 10DSP (10ch) with their HK harness (PnP install except battery connection) or the Helix V TWELVE DSP MK2 (12ch) with HK custom harness and a dual-2ohms VC trunk subwoofer in a custom enclosure - a single amp powering 11ch.

No need to replace OEM speakers if either DSP is tuned right, especially the trunk sub option.
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      02-17-2022, 02:35 PM   #11
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

What am I missing here? Are you guys all just trying to listen to rap music or something and you’re trying to blow your windows out and that’s why you’re unhappy with the system? I listen to classic rock and some 80s music and I think the Soundsystem is awesome. Like I said what am I missing here?
Appreciate 6
      02-17-2022, 02:52 PM   #12
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
What am I missing here? Are you guys all just trying to listen to rap music or something and you’re trying to blow your windows out and that’s why you’re unhappy with the system? I listen to classic rock and some 80s music and I think the Soundsystem is awesome. Like I said what am I missing here?
What you are missing is the same as having an M340i and then upgrading to an M3 - you may be very happy with the M340i, but the M3 will make you happier.
Appreciate 3
      02-17-2022, 02:54 PM   #13
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
What you are missing is the same as having an M340i and then upgrading to an M3 - you may be very happy with the M340i, but the M3 will make you happier.
Well I only have my old Mercedes-Benz to compare it to and my wife’s X.3. And the G 80 sounds better than both of those combined so I’m pretty happy.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 03:22 PM   #14
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Well I only have my old Mercedes-Benz to compare it to and my wife’s X.3. And the G 80 sounds better than both of those combined so I’m pretty happy.
Did you have a Fxx car to compare the drop in quality?
For me that's the issue, it's gone backwards. The F series wasn't perfect by any means but I didn't feel it was an underperforming setup. In the G series it is relatively speaking.
G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 03:39 PM   #15
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Install View Post
For me that's the issue, it's gone backwards. The F series wasn't perfect by any means but I didn't feel it was an underperforming setup. In the G series it is relatively speaking.
No I only have to compare it to vehicles I’ve owned.
Appreciate 1
Punch103142.00
      02-17-2022, 03:44 PM   #16
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
I agree.

Quote:
If you've spent some time listening to Lexicon systems offered as OEM, or even the early Acura ELS systems, or some high-end B&W systems, you'll understand where I'm coming from.
Yes, the M is not a luxury cruiser made for listening high-end sound systems, but everything is relative as Custom Install said.

Once you get to enjoy decent audio systems and then go listen to the HK in the G8x, it can be a massive disappointment for some.

I can't help but wonder how BMW managed to screw it up from the previous generation, making it sound so congested and blurry.
F gens were decent after minor modifications. The G2x/8x, I don't think so.
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      02-17-2022, 03:51 PM   #17
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
No I only have to compare it to vehicles I’ve owned.
Fair enough. I've had two F82's and the G82 isn't doing it for me. Technology wise it's faultless, sonically it's inferior.
Exactly the opposite of what anyone would expect, given the above inflation price bump and years gone by it's acceptable to expect positive progress.
I'd downgrade to the Fxx sound system if possible without question. Comparing it to other models/makes isn't the discussion.
G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 1
Matt21435.00
      02-17-2022, 05:25 PM   #18
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

I have HK sound in my F15 X5 and F22 230i. Both systems are better than the HK sound in the G80. The F15 is much better. The dynamic range in the G80 is poor - no bottom end. This is the only thing about the car that really disappoints me.
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 09:19 PM   #19
Daily_drivX5M
Certified
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

1) bimmer-tech:

AMP:
BimmerTech amp works only in the HiFi(676) 7ch system, your M3 system is the HK(688) 9ch system.

For the HK(688) system I would suggest the Match UP 10DSP (10ch) with their HK harness (PnP install except battery connection) or the Helix V TWELVE DSP MK2 (12ch) with HK custom harness and a dual-2ohms VC trunk subwoofer in a custom enclosure - a single amp powering 11ch.

No need to replace OEM speakers if either DSP is tuned right, especially the trunk sub option.
Thank you for clarifying and recommending. Do you have a preference of Matchup over helix and vice versa? I gotta find a good sound shop in St. Louis, a lot of this stuff is foreign to me when it comes to sound especially DSP. I'm coming from a Lexus and it had bass but wasn't the best I've heard. I'm definitely wanting a better clarity with bass. Can you comment on DSP tuning?
      02-18-2022, 01:47 AM   #20
Grumpy514
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3X

Garage List
I've heard just installing a proper AMP on these vehicles will really bring the speakers alive. Once more people so some more R&D I will most likely order one..... I don't even have the car yet but I've read a lot of disappointment with the stock speakers and I think of myself as a bit of an audiophile.
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2022, 04:09 AM   #21
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy514 View Post
I've heard just installing a proper AMP on these vehicles will really bring the speakers alive. Once more people so some more R&D I will most likely order one..... I don't even have the car yet but I've read a lot of disappointment with the stock speakers and I think of myself as a bit of an audiophile.
I’m interested as well. I’ll be looking forward to following this thread. I imagine it can’t be too much money to improve this thing significantly and I’m sure there are many experts here that will get it done. I hope they post what they did on this thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 07:29 AM   #22
Daily_drivX5M
Certified
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy514 View Post
I’m interested as well. I’ll be looking forward to following this thread. I imagine it can’t be too much money to improve this thing significantly and I’m sure there are many experts here that will get it done. I hope they post what they did on this thread.
Yes! Please post updates for the sake of everyone's ears!