BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-14-2021, 03:23 PM   #23
9153mark
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 f31 Xdrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZizzle View Post
Might be true for you, hence why I said most. I think most are trying to justify to themselves that they don't need it, but would choose it and rave about it if it was free (or cheap). I am guilty of the same. I was previously trying to justify to myself that the Carbon Fiber Exterior is unnecessary and that the black gloss trim looks comparable.
Absolutely true.
I believe we use Man Maths to justify anything !!!

If I'd gone with the seats I would have gone ultimate pack (UK) as the £2600 for the seats then meant just another £1000 to include tech and comfort packs as id already spec'd laserlights / leather / carbon ext....
Added door sills and breathers to lift the ext carbon
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 05:12 PM   #24
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

You need to be more creative to come up with a rationalization to explain why "I want it" is really a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 05:21 PM   #25
NinjaBum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Java Green F80

Quote:
I'm sure most of you would change your mind if the CB seats was a no charge option 😅
This is like me saying "if you're buying an M3/M4 with sporty carbon seats it must be because you can't afford a real sports car like a 911 and are trying to get a poor man's substitute" or something silly like that.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 06:36 PM   #26
VZizzle
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaBum View Post
This is like me saying "if you're buying an M3/M4 with sporty carbon seats it must be because you can't afford a real sports car like a 911 and are trying to get a poor man's substitute" or something silly like that.
You are proving my point. Putting aside the fact that one is 4-door and the other 2-door, if a 911, Ferrari, or Lamborghini was the same price as the M3, yes I would get it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 06:40 PM   #27
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, E60 M5, F06 M6, F15, F90

Quote:
Interesting point... there are 2 reasons why I never consider a Porsche... They are missing rear doors, Their customer service sucks big time and I have a very short fuse for arrogant pricks trying to sell me junk and treating me like I was born yesterday.... To be honest, all the Cars they sell are super overpriced unless it is a GT3.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 06:45 PM   #28
NinjaBum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You are proving my point. Putting aside the fact that one is 4-door and the other 2-door, if a 911, Ferrari, or Lamborghini was the same price as the M3, yes I would get it.
No I'm not. The point I'm making is one is a sporty touring car and the others are purpose built sports cars so one could easily say quit trying to make a sporty sedan into a sports car as saying "if you don't get carbon seats with an M3 you may as well buy a run of the mill 3 series." Point is they are both dumb statements.

I'd wager most of us on here who can afford a new M3, but for whatever reason a few thousand dollars for seats was just out of reach, could just wait a couple of weeks to get paid again and check that box. The amount for the seats is paltry for most in here if you really want carbon buckets. Not everyone wants to do contortion to get in and out of these and just want a less aggressive seat to do what, let's be honest here, most of these cars will be doing, which is being driven to the Cheesecake Factory and maybe some spirited country roads.
Appreciate 1
Nkr151122.00
      04-14-2021, 07:12 PM   #29
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, E60 M5, F06 M6, F15, F90

Quote:
No I'm not. The point I'm making is one is a sporty touring car and the others are purpose built sports cars so one could easily say quit trying to make a sporty sedan into a sports car as saying "if you don't get carbon seats with an M3 you may as well buy a run of the mill 3 series." Point is they are both dumb statements.

I'd wager most of us on here who can afford a new M3, but for whatever reason a few thousand dollars for seats was just out of reach, could just wait a couple of weeks to get paid again and check that box. The amount for the seats is paltry for most in here if you really want carbon buckets. Not everyone wants to do contortion to get in and out of these and just want a less aggressive seat to do what, let's be honest here, most of these cars will be doing, which is being driven to the Cheesecake Factory and maybe some spirited country roads.
Hold on a sec... The M3 is a hardcore very high performance car built for enthusiasts! It would be pretty stupid to spend extra money on a car that you want to go to a Cheesecake Factory and for some spirited driving once in a blue moon... 🤔 As far as I know, any BMW is an awesome car for a spirited driving around any nice public roads be it an M340, a 540i with a sport package or even a BMW X6... all bmw cars are simply awesome to drive, it’s a fact... So now I am completely confused about why people buy an M3 other than for the thrill of pure driving awesomeness and then skip on the obvious carbon seats.... 💪🤤🤪😅
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 07:28 PM   #30
VZizzle
Private
Rep

Quote:

What percentage of people do you think would change their mind if the CB seats were free? None of them?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 07:40 PM   #31
VZizzle
Private
Rep

Also, the issue is not whether you can afford it or can work an extra month to pay for it. I'm sure many of us can afford cars twice as much. It's whether you find the cost justified. In my case, I needed to convince myself the carbon fiber exterior package was justified. When something is free or cheap, opinions change.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:09 PM   #32
NinjaBum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What percentage of people do you think would change their mind if the CB seats were free? None of them?
Probably the 20 somethings who are getting into the M3 by the skin of their teeth and legit can't bear the extra cost but wanted them. It's definitely a non-zero sum but it would be silly to assume the bulk of this forum is 20 somethings who cant afford a few thousand dollars for seats.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:10 PM   #33
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

I'm totally flabbergasted when I read all the ppl wanting the carbon seats for "the looks".

I could not care less for the looks, regular seats look great, I track my car 10 times per year min and this is the only good reason to consider them, at least to me.

I went to the dealer today and sat in both seats and I could not see myself dailying and doing the same routine I do with my Q5 with the carbon seats. On the other side I know I would hate myself for not having them at a track day..

I think if you don't use the car on a track more than 2-3 times a year or ride very curvy roads on a regular basis there is not much need for them, the regular seats will have way more benefits in this situation.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:15 PM   #34
VZizzle
Private
Rep

Quote:
Probably the 20 somethings who are getting into the M3 by the skin of their teeth and legit can't bear the extra cost but wanted them. It's definitely a non-zero sum but it would be silly to assume the bulk of this forum is 20 somethings who cant afford a few thousand dollars for seats.
Again, I don't view it as affording it or not, but whether you find a cost justified. Cost matters. Not an end all, but it impacts decision making.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:16 PM   #35
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
Seats must be amazing however most of us will be driving with a jacket on the majority of the time and I wonder how the seats would feel at that point.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:17 PM   #36
VZizzle
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
I'm totally flabbergasted when I read all the ppl wanting the carbon seats for "the looks".

I could not care less for the looks, regular seats look great, I track my car 10 times per year min and this is the only good reason to consider them, at least to me.

I went to the dealer today and sat in both seats and I could not see myself dailying and doing the same routine I do with my Q5 with the carbon seats. On the other side I know I would hate myself for not having them at a track day..

I think if you don't use the car on a track more than 2-3 times a year or ride very curvy roads on a regular basis there is not much need for them, the regular seats will have way more benefits in this situation.
Tracking aside, the seats also change your daily driving experience. It's a lower seating position. More engaged feel.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:18 PM   #37
NinjaBum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by av.7447 View Post
Hold on a sec... The M3 is a hardcore very high performance car built for enthusiasts! It would be pretty stupid to spend extra money on a car that you want to go to a Cheesecake Factory and for some spirited driving once in a blue moon... 🤔 As far as I know, any BMW is an awesome car for a spirited driving around any nice public roads be it an M340, a 540i with a sport package or even a BMW X6... all bmw cars are simply awesome to drive, it’s a fact... So now I am completely confused about why people buy an M3 other than for the thrill of pure driving awesomeness and then skip on the obvious carbon seats.... 💪🤤🤪😅
Why does anyone buy anything? Some like the look, like the power, like the M badge, want to be able to throw some carseats in the back and still romp around on the weekend. Vast majority of these cars are never coming near a track. Plenty of reasons not to want the carbons, injuries, long commutes, like to go on long car trips and don't want to get fatigued, honestly being out of shape, don't want to worry about the likely bolster wear, etc.

This car is more than a couple of seats. Just seems reaaallly silly to try and boil it down to "it's a radically different car with the seats" or basically insinuating without these two seats the car has nothing else to offer over any other 3 series.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2021, 08:19 PM   #38
VZizzle
Private
Rep

Quote:
Why does anyone buy anything? Some like the look, like the power, like the M badge, want to be able to throw some carseats in the back and still romp around on the weekend. Vast majority of these cars are never coming near a track. Plenty of reasons not to want the carbons, injuries, long commutes, like to go on long car trips and don't want to get fatigued, honestly being out of shape, don't want to worry about the likely bolster wear, etc.

This car is more than a couple of seats. Just seems reaaallly silly to try and boil it down to "it's a radically different car with the seats" or basically insinuating without these two seats the car has nothing else to offer over any other 3 series.
You are over generalizing. No one said the car is worthless without the seats. I said it adds to the sporty personality.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:19 PM   #39
NinjaBum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Tracking aside, the seats also change your daily driving experience. It's a lower seating position. More engaged feel.
Sounds like some people would hear that and think discomfort, more effort getting in and out, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:22 PM   #40
NinjaBum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You are over generalizing. No one said the car is worthless without the seats. I said it adds to the sporty personality.
You and OP literally both said without the seats you might as well get a 340. So sounds like without the seats you're suggesting this car has nothing, or at least so little, to offer over the 340 that it isn't worth purchasing over that car in such a configuration.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:25 PM   #41
VZizzle
Private
Rep

Quote:
You and OP literally both said without the seats you might as well get a 340. So sounds like without the seats you're suggesting this car has nothing, or at least so little, to offer over the 340 that it isn't worth purchasing over that car in such a configuration.
No, I said if comfort driving is your priority, you can get an m340 or an m550. I agree the seats make the car. Doesn't mean I think the car is worthless without them. It's a beast regardless. And the seats befit the beast personality. I think nuts on top make an ice cream sundae, but I still like ice cream and hot fudge. Consider the CB seats as the nuts on top of my ice cream sundae 🤣
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:32 PM   #42
NinjaBum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No, I said if comfort driving is your priority, you can get an m340 or an m550. I agree the seats make the car. Doesn't mean I think the car is worthless without them. It's a beast regardless. And the seats befit the beast personality. I think nuts on top make an ice cream sundae, but I still like ice cream and hot fudge. Consider the CB seats as the nuts on top of my ice cream sundae ��
That's fair that you like nuts on your sundae, but still wouldn't make sense telling someone if they don't get nuts on their ice cream and fudge sundae that they might as well go get some frozen yogurt and regular hershey syrup. Maybe people don't like frozen yogurt and chocolate syrup and they want full on ice cream and fudge, just without the nuts ya know?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:36 PM   #43
VZizzle
Private
Rep

Quote:
That's fair that you like nuts on your sundae, but still wouldn't make sense telling someone if they don't get nuts on their ice cream and fudge sundae that they might as well go get some frozen yogurt and regular hershey syrup. Maybe people don't like frozen yogurt and chocolate syrup and they want full on ice cream and fudge, just without the nuts ya know?
Fair point for you possibly. And some may have nut allergies. But some don't add nuts because toppings cost extra, but then claim they did so because they prefer plain ice cream. I'm not saying that person is you.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:41 PM   #44
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post

If your willing to live with the trade offs that's fine.

Just like getting thrown around with your Kees banging on a door card or center console, holding the steering with sweaty hands cause your using plenty of muscles you shouldn't use while driving too many days per track season is a compromise.

On this new G series My cars you have even more choice to lose and gain than before.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0