BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

03-08-2021, 07:59 PM   #1
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Raptor, 2008 Subaru

First impressions of detailing a G80

My first impressions of detailing my G80 PB

The standard exterior front honeycomb Air inlets are a PITA!!! It might be worth the $$$ for the CF... in reality I'm just going to buy the CF inlets and be done with them.

The recess below the body line and just above the rocker panel is really a lot more pronounced than any pictures have shown.. 3 -5 inches.

The standard or CF door sills / rocker panels are going to get marked up. Paint Protection film will be a requirement early on.

Something I had not thought of, but my PB color in the engine compartment is excellent.. It really pops, and you can see more than I would have thought.

There is a lot of rear window... It is as bigger than the front by another third.

And the 826 wheels are simply sick...
Appreciate 2
EXE462097.00
E36 PWR541.00
      03-08-2021, 08:00 PM   #2
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Pictures please

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 08:04 PM   #3
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep

I was sworn not to until 0001 Tuesday. They can sell it to me on Tuesday, 9 March.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 09:58 PM   #4
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep

Gloss Black areas and Overall Paint

As a second note. Pay extra attention to the grill area. It looks like it easy for someone to apply a little extra grip pressure when washing this area and scratch the gloss areas. They might be able to polish it out, but it is going to be a PITA.

Gloss black seems kind delicate.

But the overall paint is surprisingly smooth and not much orange peel and only two dust nats found.

Appreciate 2
Jcali861479.00
      03-08-2021, 10:35 PM   #5
Brown598
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp Package

My Dravit Grey with Tinted Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl1by View Post
My first impressions of detailing my G80 PB

The standard exterior front honeycomb Air inlets are a PITA!!! It might be worth the $$$ for the CF... in reality I'm just going to buy the CF inlets and be done with them.

The recess below the body line and just above the rocker panel is really a lot more pronounced than any pictures have shown.. 3 -5 inches.

The standard or CF door sills / rocker panels are going to get marked up. Paint Protection film will be a requirement early on.

Something I had not thought of, but my PB color in the engine compartment is excellent.. It really pops, and you can see more than I would have thought.

There is a lot of rear window... It is as bigger than the front by another third.

And the 826 wheels are simply sick...
Please let me know how she looks, today she got her windows tinted and taken back to the Dealership, still waiting when I can take possession of her. My Dravit Grey has so many colors, depending on the angle and the light and Sunlight angle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ando1954.50
      03-09-2021, 06:28 PM   #6
Saturatedfat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Nice! Are your wheels black or the multicolored ones ? They let you detail it before delivery?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 10:49 AM   #7
Brown598
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturatedfat View Post
Nice! Are your wheels black or the multicolored ones ? They let you detail it before delivery?
The wheels are Black. My friend, who is the Assistant Mgr, took my car up the street to get tinted for me. The vehicle is dirty in this picture, hasn't been cleaned for delivery yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 05:15 AM   #8
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturatedfat View Post
I took delivery on 9 March The wheels are bi-color 826
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 12:18 PM   #9
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Detailed my black M4 Comp yesterday. Took about 50% longer than my '18 Vette, not surprising with 13 more inches of length. Use Maguire's wash with carnauba, which I like best, and Griots "Best in Show" wax. I had thought they waxed it before deliver, if they did, it was a quick wax, at best. Car shined great, but surface wasn't smooth at all. After, very slick and great shine! Nothing like a black gloss paint after a wax...for the 20 minutes before it gets dusty...Wheels which look fantastic--bright with black, are a pita to wash and dry. Getting into the small spaces and then drying them is a lot of work. Other than that, just takes time. Used an orbital from Griot's and after the 30 minute "set" time, there was wax that I had to work to get off. Put on too thick by me. You really have to be careful to keep it thin with premium wax, not always easy. Anyway, looks great and has protection as well as shine. Will use Maguire's' wax and dry spray after washes, as it does make the shine pop.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 01:18 PM   #10
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteflier View Post
Detailed my black M4 Comp yesterday. Took about 50% longer than my '18 Vette, not surprising with 13 more inches of length. Use Maguire's wash with carnauba, which I like best, and Griots "Best in Show" wax. I had thought they waxed it before deliver, if they did, it was a quick wax, at best. Car shined great, but surface wasn't smooth at all. After, very slick and great shine! Nothing like a black gloss paint after a wax...for the 20 minutes before it gets dusty...Wheels which look fantastic--bright with black, are a pita to wash and dry. Getting into the small spaces and then drying them is a lot of work. Other than that, just takes time. Used an orbital from Griot's and after the 30 minute "set" time, there was wax that I had to work to get off. Put on too thick by me. You really have to be careful to keep it thin with premium wax, not always easy. Anyway, looks great and has protection as well as shine. Will use Maguire's' wax and dry spray after washes, as it does make the shine pop.
I regret getting the black wheels a bit. They are really painful to wash and dry and they go brown so quickly. I have a ceramic coating on mine from when I had the rest of the car done, and it doesn't seem to make much difference. When they are clean they look awesome, and brake dust seems to be getting a bit better as the pads wear in a bit, but I just try and ignore them now
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 01:57 PM   #11
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
I regret getting the black wheels a bit. They are really painful to wash and dry and they go brown so quickly. I have a ceramic coating on mine from when I had the rest of the car done, and it doesn't seem to make much difference. When they are clean they look awesome, and brake dust seems to be getting a bit better as the pads wear in a bit, but I just try and ignore them now
Yeah, I ordered black 826 wheels too. And I think they're going to be a real PITA to keep clean. On Amazon, The Original California Car Duster 96630 Microfiber Wheel Duster (on Amazon) may help a bit, between washings. I figure I'll spray a little Quik Wax on the Duster and then try to get into each crevice efficiently. We'll see.

I feel like I'm going to spend a lot of time on those damn wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 12:29 PM   #12
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

I've got the polished spokes that look great with the black underlay. Have a round microfiber "brush" that gets into most of the tight spaces. PITA for sure, but they look fantastic when you're done. Would think ceramic coat would make brake dust rinse off easily. Haven't really noticed any yet, but only ~ 380 miles so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:36 PM   #13
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

The 826 wheels are a nightmare to clean. I had all 4 off today to install spacers. I cleaned and waxed the barrels and everything. I know when my floating center caps get painted and delivered I am going to have to paint the weights. I don't know what BMW cannot do this, Porsche does!

Whats crazy I thought I had hit every singly section, nope, as soon as I went to put the wheel on I saw that I missed like 6 sections! This is going to be a PITA.

On the plus side, the wheels are pretty light.
Appreciate 0