BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

03-13-2021, 05:18 AM   #67
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstm View Post
dealer I know was looking for 10k over msrp for new customers and 5k over for prior customers...
My buddy works at a dealer and he was able to get me their first non-HEA allocation at sticker, but the sales manager attempted to get me for $5k over. I send them 3-4 people a year (my mom, my neighbor, my 2nd cousin,etc.).

I told him I would pay the $5k over on this car, sure no problem...but I would now be sending all my referrals elsewhere and the $5k would be nothing compared to the windfall for the other dealership in the area. "Do we have a deal?" There was silence on the other end of the phone and then he just said "ok, sticker."
they still make plenty of money at sticker. BMW mark up is generally 6-7% of MSRP, on my X5 it was 6.7%. Dealers will always try to get money while they can because some fool will pay it. If no one paid mark up they'd have no choice but to reduce the price or remove the 'market adjustment'
I will do much much better on my next G80. I overpaid on my first F80 when they were in high demand, and then paid $350 less per month for a CS than I did a base F80 lol.
Appreciate 2
Scorp!on1511.50
Ocho3.00
      03-13-2021, 05:46 AM   #68
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
dealer I know was looking for 10k over msrp for new customers and 5k over for prior customers...
My buddy works at a dealer and he was able to get me their first non-HEA allocation at sticker, but the sales manager attempted to get me for $5k over. I send them 3-4 people a year (my mom, my neighbor, my 2nd cousin,etc.).

I told him I would pay the $5k over on this car, sure no problem...but I would now be sending all my referrals elsewhere and the $5k would be nothing compared to the windfall for the other dealership in the area. "Do we have a deal?" There was silence on the other end of the phone and then he just said "ok, sticker."
they still make plenty of money at sticker. BMW mark up is generally 6-7% of MSRP, on my X5 it was 6.7%. Dealers will always try to get money while they can because some fool will pay it. If no one paid mark up they'd have no choice but to reduce the price or remove the 'market adjustment'
I will do much much better on my next G80. I overpaid on my first F80 when they were in high demand, and then paid $350 less per month for a CS than I did a base F80 lol.
the CS wasn't very popular so I can see that easily happening. dealer by me had 3 on their lot for 6mo+
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2021, 07:45 AM   #69
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

the CS wasn't very popular so I can see that easily happening. dealer by me had 3 on their lot for 6mo+
It wasn't very popular because of the price. It drives much better than the competition model and it's hard to believe it's the same chassis. Best car I've ever driven that isn't a GT3.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 09:06 AM   #70
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It wasn't very popular because of the price. It drives much better than the competition model and it's hard to believe it's the same chassis. Best car I've ever driven that isn't a GT3.
I've driven one and I agree with you. I almost bought one at a stupid discount but decided to just wait for this generation
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2021, 09:35 AM   #71
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
I may or may not have a reason for knowing such information from some point in time.

most buyers thing they know what's going on but they don't like you've said. BMW still has one of the most active car community's out there do I would imagine you see it often enough to take note.

it all boils down to what people deem fair, after all a good deal is when two people agree
I saw the world's greatest example of "most buyers think they know what's going on" last Sunday. Younger couple buying a used beast and trading in an even more used (and very common) beast. The guy was arguing every point with the salesperson and trying to play his trade-in off as a "desirable and rare car". It was not. It was about the most common color on one of the most common cars and from the chair I was sitting in, I could see multiple dings in it. It was a cheap enough car that the difference between high and low trade-in values would have been really minor.

He was also arguing vehicle purchase taxes. The taxes being argued are newer, easily Googled, and not negotiable.

He was getting very upset over things that weren't going to make a lot of difference or weren't up to the dealership to change. I never heard him mention the actual sales price of the car he was buying once. It was pretty weird.

And all this was out with the salesperson. God only knows what happened once this couple made it back to Finance where the REAL screwing happens. Even if they ended up driving away in their new used car, there's no way they'll be happy with it after working themselves into such a tizzy so early in the process.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2021, 09:43 AM   #72
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

Man, I hope this kind of markup won't be common outside of markets like SoCal, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 09:55 AM   #73
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post
Man, I hope this kind of markup won't be common outside of markets like SoCal, etc.
AZ dealers seem either be at MSRP or $5k over. I can handle MSRP (while not ideal but it did just launch after all) but no way I'm going to pay any kind of "market adjustment" fee.

When we were shopping for a new SUV for my wife last summer one of the ones she was wanting to look at was the KIA Telluride. Every single one of the dealerships were either at MSRP (and not budging) or were $10k over MSRP and they were still selling like crazy.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 10:39 AM   #74
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Quote:
AZ dealers seem either be at MSRP or $5k over. I can handle MSRP (while not ideal but it did just launch after all) but no way I'm going to pay any kind of "market adjustment" fee.

When we were shopping for a new SUV for my wife last summer one of the ones she was wanting to look at was the KIA Telluride. Every single one of the dealerships were either at MSRP (and not budging) or were $10k over MSRP and they were still selling like crazy.
The Telluride's are crazy. I briefly looked at one for my wife, and while the base model is cheap, to get one that is somewhat decently optioned is expensive, and then by the time they add in some ridiculous market adjustment it's just absurd. Ended up getting a Q7 for less, so that gives you some perspective of what they were trying to charge
Appreciate 2
Scorp!on1511.50
chicagofan0019077.00
      03-13-2021, 10:43 AM   #75
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I'm in AZ for the weekend, do any dealers here have one on the showroom? I've yet to see a G80/82 in person
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #76
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've driven one and I agree with you. I almost bought one at a stupid discount but decided to just wait for this generation
I did a brief 2 year lease that is up this month. I timed it beautifully as my G80 will be here in June.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 11:21 AM   #77
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm in AZ for the weekend, do any dealers here have one on the showroom? I've yet to see a G80/82 in person
Chapman by Ray Road and 54th street in Chandler has a white one on the lot as a customer backed out. They others they have are all sold but they did let me see them not long after being taken off the delivery truck.

Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 11:30 AM   #78
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Chapman by Ray Road and 54th street in Chandler has a white one on the lot as a customer backed out. They others they have are all sold but they did let me see them not long after being taken off the delivery truck.
do any have CF buckets? I'll have to stop by and see it. I'll be up in North Scottsdale so it's a drive but hopefully I'll have time to go down there. I haven't been back here in years
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 11:34 AM   #79
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

do any have CF buckets? I'll have to stop by and see it. I'll be up in North Scottsdale so it's a drive but hopefully I'll have time to go down there. I haven't been back here in years
There is a dealership up in north Scottsdale as well but I don't know what their inventory looks like or what is out on the floor currently.

When I was at Chapman in Chandler last weekend they didn't have any with the CFBs but they were set to get more in this past week so it's possible they got one now.

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 11:38 AM   #80
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There is a dealership up in north Scottsdale as well but I don't know what their inventory looks like or what is out on the floor currently.

When I was at Chapman in Chandler last weekend they didn't have any with the CFBs but they were set to get more in this past week so it's possible they got one now.
thank you, I saw they have a bunch inbound but I don't think any have arrived. I'll give them a call and see before heading over.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019077.00
      03-13-2021, 12:27 PM   #81
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
One of those youtuber reviews mentioned that most m cars go to America and socal specifically so im thinking demand is just crazy high there and money isn't really an issue for a lot of the buyers. That's a wild guess though lol
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 02:11 PM   #82
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
One of those youtuber reviews mentioned that most m cars go to America and socal specifically so im thinking demand is just crazy high there and money isn't really an issue for a lot of the buyers. That's a wild guess though lol
This is true....just in the LA Metro area there are about 20 BMW dealers alone...in particular Crevier BMW, the best selling dealer in the country, sells more ///M cars than most countries. Same goes for Fletcher Jones Merc. Sells more AMGs per year than most countries.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 03:45 PM   #83
CanesM4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 Twilight Purple/Ivory

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89 View Post
This is true....just in the LA Metro area there are about 20 BMW dealers alone...in particular Crevier BMW, the best selling dealer in the country, sells more ///M cars than most countries. Same goes for Fletcher Jones Merc. Sells more AMGs per year than most countries.
I would think with that many dealerships in such close proximity, they'd have to heavily discount the cars to sell them.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 03:50 PM   #84
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanesM4 View Post
I would think with that many dealerships in such close proximity, they'd have to heavily discount the cars to sell them.
That is usually the case once the hype dies down
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 05:38 PM   #85
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Went to see the G8x in SF, the black G82 is 10K over Sticker...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 06:46 PM   #86
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 //M3 e90 Interlagos Blue

Garage List
California dealerships are asking $10-20k over MSRP for the few G8X M3/M4s they have in stock. Average is $15k. Supply and demand. Despite the terrible economy due to COVID-19, the wealthy in LA/SF didn't miss a beat $$$$$. So prices won't be discounted much in 2021/2022.

I remember buying my 2009 BMW IB/DCT E90 LCI M3 in Fall 2008, during the great recession and gas hovering around $4-5/gallon. At the time, Crevier BMW tried to charge me a huge marketing and advertising fee <$1500, in addition to the 100 mile drive each way to Santa Ana.

I would also wait for a special edition M3/M4 or looking into a European Delivery, plus the East/West Coast Performance Center pickup. Flights are cheap.

BMW ///M cars now have much more competition from Audi RS, Mercedes Benz AMG, Porsche, and Lexus F V8 models now than they had 5-15 years ago.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 08:20 PM   #87
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Went to see the G8x in SF, the black G82 is 10K over Sticker...
Did they let you test it?
      03-13-2021, 08:23 PM   #88
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_dude View Post
California dealerships are asking $10-20k over MSRP for the few G8X M3/M4s they have in stock. Average is $15k. Supply and demand. Despite the terrible economy due to COVID-19, the wealthy in LA/SF didn't miss a beat $$$$$. So prices won't be discounted much in 2021/2022.

I remember buying my 2009 BMW IB/DCT E90 LCI M3 in Fall 2008, during the great recession and gas hovering around $4-5/gallon. At the time, Crevier BMW tried to charge me a huge marketing and advertising fee <$1500, in addition to the 100 mile drive each way to Santa Ana.

I would also wait for a special edition M3/M4 or looking into a European Delivery, plus the East/West Coast Performance Center pickup. Flights are cheap.

BMW ///M cars now have much more competition from Audi RS, Mercedes Benz AMG, Porsche, and Lexus F V8 models now than they had 5-15 years ago.

Cheers
Gas is $4+ in most of the Bay Area again :