BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

04-03-2021, 03:20 PM   #45
Casone238
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

My brother had a ATS-V it was amazing fun car to drive and beat many f80s in roll races in the highway. The front of the car looked super aggressive but the over all package it leans on the side of a sleeper. The interior was solid but I didn't like how everything was touch screen no alternative. The exhaust did lack personality and sound. For such reasons I would of preferred a C63s or a M3/M4
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-02-2021, 05:44 PM   #46
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

As a target consumer, unfortunately Cadillac is not a brand I would cross shop in almost any circumstance.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 08:18 AM   #47
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casone238 View Post
My brother had a ATS-V it was amazing fun car to drive and beat many f80s in roll races in the highway. The front of the car looked super aggressive but the over all package it leans on the side of a sleeper. The interior was solid but I didn't like how everything was touch screen no alternative. The exhaust did lack personality and sound. For such reasons I would of preferred a C63s or a M3/M4
I actually toyed with the idea of getting an ATS-V as they were steeply discounted but I just couldn't get over the interior especially the instrument cluster that looked like it came out of a 90's Beretta or Lumina. I'm sure these Blackwings will be nice sleeper cars but Cadillac just doesn't carry any panache and people just don't care about them so if you want to go about your business with nobody noticing then they are great but I would prefer what's a fairly expensive car to not be so anonymous.
Appreciate 1
Swappy531.50
      05-06-2021, 07:50 AM   #48
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

When I first saw/read about the Blackwings, I was all excited. Then I saw the pictures and my excitement waned a bit.

So, for background, aside from being a long-time BMW fanbois, I've also had five (5, really?) Corvettes, from a convertible automatic to Z06, and a few years ago I bought a Chevy SS. That's the Holden Commodore (Australia) with the Corvette LS2 (?) engine. It was very competent. Several reviewers likened it to the E39 M5, but no, there ain't no way. I've had several of those, and the Chevy ain't it.

That said, the chassis was very competent, the Magride was excellent and the seats were very good. I found the styling to be bland, the interior was above average for a GM product but the infotainment system sucked.

I got bored with it quickly, but as you can see from the sig below, I get bored with almost everything rather quickly.

I was planning to buy a CT5-V BW until I decided to get the G82. Now, when the cars actually start getting produced and it's possible to test drive and buy one, I will revisit the idea, but honestly, the interior is likely to put me off more than anything.

And that's where I spend most of my time with a car, inside, That's how I was able to overlook the grill on the G80/82.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #49
deli333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

why this honda love lol. every one is copying it
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 09:47 AM   #50
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak299 View Post
If I had a Cadillac I would have to wear a bag over my head.
Ouch, very narrow minded opinion. Cadillac actually makes great stuff and you would know that if you were up to speed on this stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 11:30 AM   #51
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
Ouch, very narrow minded opinion. Cadillac actually makes great stuff and you would know that if you were up to speed on this stuff.
GM has some of the best chassis engineers in the world. They have worked magic with the Alpha platform the underpins the Camaro and Cadillac cars as it's one of the best handling chassis you can buy at any price. Problem with GM is that they always fail at interior execution and the small details that separate the Germans from domestic. Heck even the Koreans have figured out how to build quality looking interiors. They are good vehicles if you can get them heavily discounted. Depreciation on luxury vehicles is generally poor regardless of the brand but Cadillac is at the bottom end of that so it's all about value.
Appreciate 2
bwoodahl235.00
JTO245246.50
      08-05-2021, 08:40 PM   #52
Tarheels23
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Alpha platform >>>>> G series. The G80's steering feel, shifter, and clutch are mediocre at best. It's unfortunate.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2021, 08:57 PM   #53
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

some of you really need to open your eyes, past BMW... for once...great time to be a car guy.
Appreciate 2
      08-06-2021, 05:40 AM   #54
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
some of you really need to open your eyes, past BMW... for once...great time to be a car guy.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 07:49 AM   #55
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It's easy to say but harder in practice. Once a person gets accustomed to doing business with German dealerships it always feels like you are stepping down when you walk into a GM/Buick/Cadillac dealership. Not a lot dissimilar from walking into a Huyndai dealership to look at a Genesis. There are too many reminders of the roots of the vehicle you may be interested in. Plus it's going to be hard to even look at these cars in person because GM is barely building any Blackwings this because last gen they got caught with ATS-V and CTS-V's collecting dust. Unfortunately it doesn't really matter how good they are as Cadillac just isn't a desirable brand these days as they are way behind BMW, Audi, MB, and Lexus in sales and what they do sell is nearly exclusively SUV's.
Appreciate 1
Swappy531.50
      08-06-2021, 01:05 PM   #56
in867
Lateral G
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i; 20 M2CS

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm not a fan of the CT4-V styling but I am comparison shopping the M3 and CT5-V Blackwing....the only sports sedans left that offer a manual in 2021

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...-drive-review/
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 03:44 PM   #57
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
I love the Black Wing BUT I need to disagree with your comment that it's a good time to be a car guy.

Late 90s to early 2000s was peak...manual trans, hydrologic steering, analog controls, real sound and naturally aspired horse power. The G80 and peers are like flying a space ship with an extra thick condom.

I can only image what it's like to drive a Tesla. Don't get me wrong I love the environmental and safety advancements but our days of fun/pure driving are numbered.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 09:48 PM   #58
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
I love the Black Wing BUT I need to disagree with your comment that it's a good time to be a car guy.

Late 90s to early 2000s was peak...manual trans, hydrologic steering, analog controls, real sound and naturally aspired horse power. The G80 and peers are like flying a space ship with an extra thick condom.

I can only image what it's like to drive a Tesla. Don't get me wrong I love the environmental and safety advancements but our days of fun/pure driving are numbered.

I just ordered a 720, fuck tesla. I said it before and i'll say it again, i'm sticking to gas until i cant find a gas station anymore.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2021, 09:50 PM   #59
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
It's easy to say but harder in practice. Once a person gets accustomed to doing business with German dealerships it always feels like you are stepping down when you walk into a GM/Buick/Cadillac dealership. Not a lot dissimilar from walking into a Huyndai dealership to look at a Genesis. There are too many reminders of the roots of the vehicle you may be interested in. Plus it's going to be hard to even look at these cars in person because GM is barely building any Blackwings this because last gen they got caught with ATS-V and CTS-V's collecting dust. Unfortunately it doesn't really matter how good they are as Cadillac just isn't a desirable brand these days as they are way behind BMW, Audi, MB, and Lexus in sales and what they do sell is nearly exclusively SUV's.

Debateable, i had a z06 prior to my 600LT, and chevy dealer was top notch. Excellent service.. It's hit and miss, we all know that. Shouldn't let service spoil your potential experience something new.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 02:06 PM   #60
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post

Debateable, i had a z06 prior to my 600LT, and chevy dealer was top notch. Excellent service.. It's hit and miss, we all know that. Shouldn't let service spoil your potential experience something new.
I feel the same way. Where I bought my F82, I fucking hated them. Worst buying experience I ever had. From day 1 took it to another dealer for service and have been treated great. Nissan dealership has been great also. Always let me bring in my own fluids/ never had a bad episode or felt like they were jerking me around. I would say it's a higher number of bad ones over all, then good ones. Especially when buying. Why the fuck does it always seem like they jerk you off forever and for no reason. Carvana is killing for that very reason. Great for them!! Plus I got their stock under 20 bucks awhile back
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 06:06 PM   #61
speedyman
Banned
Rep

The Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing and BMW M4 are both fantastic looking vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 07:15 PM   #62
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
The Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing and BMW M4 are both fantastic looking vehicles.
Except the interior of the blackwing
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 07:41 PM   #63
DAlby18
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Toronto Red M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
Quote:

I can't agree and disagree any more with this statement. I own a Model Y and it's truly a love hate relationship with it. I love it for everything it stands for and all it's tech but I hate it for the fact that in the end its a mode of transportation before a car. Sure being a performance model it keeps up with and in some cases smokes a lot of high end vehicles out there but you don't drive it but rather it drives you. It's too calculated and I couldn't wrap it around a pole if I wanted to hence why I decided to order a G80 to compensate for love of actually "driving."

Now to your statement about the 90's. Once again we grew up with the coolest cars that gave us the capabilities to personalize our cars to form our identities by way of mods, aero kits and so on and we didn't have to take on a second mortgage to get the work done or needed software to make certain parts work; however, these cars today are beast in their own right and all this tech not only makes it safer but efficient as well. 503 HP in an inline six is really impressive and there are other engines out there doing a whole lot more (ie GT2 RS).

I test drove the G82 and fell in love with how it felt and I really didn't push it that hard so I'm dying to take delivery of the G80 and bring it to a track and see everything it has to offer. I have high expectations for this vehicle mechanically and I feel like I wont be disappointed. I currently have an E93 but I'm expecting the G80 to surpass it in every aspect minus it missing two cylinders.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 09:32 PM   #64
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

I like it. The rear end is kind of funky, and it needs 20" rims (or at least 19s), but other than that, it looks like a solid rival indeed to an M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheels23 View Post
Alpha platform >>>>> G series. The G80's steering feel, shifter, and clutch are mediocre at best. It's unfortunate.
Indeed. Having driven the previous CTS-V and a C7 manual, they both rode remarkably well to also be able to handle so well. GM's Magnetic Ride Control (MRC or MagneRide) is a fabulous system, better than the G8X's. My G82 rides firmer in its softest setting than the C7 and CTSV, which is one of my main complaints about the car. It's a bit too firm in "comfort", and any of these lowering spring kits will make that "comfort" ride even firmer. GM's technology is simply better, which is why you other manufacturers have used it as well.

I look forward to seeing the 668-hp CT5V Blackwing, with a manual nonetheless.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2021, 04:00 PM   #65
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKParris View Post
Except the interior of the blackwing
What's wrong with it?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 09:49 PM   #66
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
What's wrong with it?
I like the seats, but I can't stand the guage cluster and dash. It just looks like it will age very poorly.

Current: 2022 M3 CompX, 2024 M2 6-Spd
Appreciate 0