BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

12-14-2020, 07:56 AM   #1
gurns
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Dravit Grey

Paint Protection Film - the flip side?

Hopefully soon I will be taking delivery of my new G82. Having specific areas treated with a PPF material is of keen interest. However, my direct experience with PPF is very limited. I am only familiar with those small pieces around the trailing edge of the rocker panels that come factory installed.

Research on other forums has not produced answers to the following questions:

1. Are there any side effects to the clear coat/paint if and when the PPF is removed?
2. Does the PPF yellow over time due to UV radiation?
3. What are some of your recommended practices, lessons learned, etc. regarding all things PFF?

Thanks for any inputs.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 08:29 AM   #2
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurns View Post
Hopefully soon I will be taking delivery of my new G82. Having specific areas treated with a PPF material is of keen interest. However, my direct experience with PPF is very limited. I am only familiar with those small pieces around the trailing edge of the rocker panels that come factory installed. Research on other forums has not produced answers to the following questions: 1. Are there any side effects to the clear coat/paint if and when the PPF is removed? 2. Does the PPF yellow over time due to UV radiation? 3. What are some of your recommended practices, lessons learned, etc. regarding all things PFF? Thanks for any inputs.
1. i have yet to see any side effects. the only damage that can be done on the paint is entirely on the installation/removal process. make sure you go to someone with experience.

2. only after many many many years, and depending on the environment your car is in. PPF may yellow quicker if it’s left sitting in the sun all year round as oppose to sitting in the garage... but we’re talking about YEARS, not a season or two.

3. dont cheap out on the PPF and the installer. do your research, ask others who have had quality PPF installed around your local area. dont cheap out. and dont cheap out.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3327.00
      12-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #3
ferrix924
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3C xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
1. i have yet to see any side effects. the only damage that can be done on the paint is entirely on the installation/removal process. make sure you go to someone with experience.

2. only after many many many years, and depending on the environment your car is in. PPF may yellow quicker if it’s left sitting in the sun all year round as oppose to sitting in the garage... but we’re talking about YEARS, not a season or two.

3. dont cheap out on the PPF and the installer. do your research, ask others who have had quality PPF installed around your local area. dont cheap out. and dont cheap out.
What would you consider a reasonable amount to spend covering the important parts of the car? I have no idea if it should be $2k or $8k so just curious
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 03:26 PM   #4
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix924 View Post
What would you consider a reasonable amount to spend covering the important parts of the car? I have no idea if it should be $2k or $8k so just curious
i spent $2K for the entire front end + tints for all around except front windshield.

i did get a deal imo. after 5 years, its held up very well.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
chicagoguy0822
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible (G83)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix924 View Post
I was poking around at prices for a G83 Xpel Stealth (when the car is released next year). I was quoted about $8K and that includes a ceramic coating. I can't justify it.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 03:49 PM   #6
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
full vehicle in clear is usually about $5k
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 04:21 PM   #7
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Both my cars are clear wrapped and ceramic coated. Best thing ever!! So easy to keep clean and always have perfect paint. It's expensive, but totally worth it in my opinion. 5K give or take is about right
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 04:35 PM   #8
chicagoguy0822
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Both my cars are clear wrapped and ceramic coated. Best thing ever!! So easy to keep clean and always have perfect paint. It's expensive, but totally worth it in my opinion. 5K give or take is about right
Thanks. Do you know if the Stealth is that more expensive or did I just talk to a pricey detailer?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 09:19 AM   #9
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreen822 View Post
Thanks. Do you know if the Stealth is that more expensive or did I just talk to a pricey detailer?
I got a quote of $5500 for full clear/gloss or $6500 for full stealth. It's a nominal material difference, so it's really just labor. You might be able to get away with not wrapping a couple of edges with a gloss film, but this is not the case with stealth, it should be the same level of effort as a full vinyl color change.
      12-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #10
chicagoguy0822
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
I got a quote of $5500 for full clear/gloss or $6500 for full stealth. It's a nominal material difference, so it's really just labor. You might be able to get away with not wrapping a couple of edges with a gloss film, but this is not the case with stealth, it should be the same level of effort as a full vinyl color change.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 12:49 PM   #11
mlust
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Also take in consideration of the color of your car and the brand of film you are using. Certain films will have a higher gloss because there is less orange peel/texture to it, So some films will look better on black paint then others. Most of the cost is labor install as most companies use a plotter to have a precut pattern before placing it on the vehicle. The cost will go up if the film is hand cut and the edges are rolled around the panel, and removing trim and headlights emblems etc...making it harder to tell if it has any film on it.
As for yellowing, none of the films nowadays should be yellowing. That was a common flaw in the early days due to the type of adhesive that was used but none of the big film companies use that type of adhesive anymore.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 02:26 PM   #12
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Hopefully soon I will be taking delivery of my new G82. Having specific areas treated with a PPF material is of keen interest. However, my direct experience with PPF is very limited. I am only familiar with those small pieces around the trailing edge of the rocker panels that come factory installed.

1. Are there any side effects to the clear coat/paint if and when the PPF is removed?
3. What are some of your recommended practices, lessons learned, etc. regarding all things PFF?

Thanks for any inputs.
I can only comment well worth it...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 10:59 PM   #13
toastie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e39 M5

Quote:

Thanks for any inputs.
Honest answer is, how long do you plan on keeping the car? If you are planning on holding onto the car for long term then get PPF. If you're the type of person that switches cars every 2-3 years because you want something new, save your money.

PPF by a good reputable shop will run you about $4-5K for a full front end wrap including rockers and pillars. I'm sure some can do it cheaper or some can do the full car for the same amount of money but each market is different.

You want to be sure the shop takes their time and wraps the edges otherwise you'll get premature bubbling/peeling in the corners.

Most PPF manufacturers offer lifetime warranty against peeling/yellowing so that isn't a concern.
Appreciate 0