home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #1
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Eyeglasses

So I've had some issues with my left eye for the past few years, central serous retinopathy which is like a blister on your retina. Yesterday I go to have this checked out again and was informed that I need glasses. I'm 41, I have been pretty rough on my body throughout the years and it's to be expected, no big deal. When I was told I needed bifocals, it instantly started the mindset of being "old." I realize there are younger people than I am with bifocals I suppose it's just a mental stigma of mine.

Being new to needing glasses, I'm curious to those who currently wear them. What are your conditions that require glasses? What kind of adjustment period did it take to get comfortable with them? What type, style or brand do you wear? Most importantly, where do you buy them? I almost had a heart attack yesterday when I was told how much they would cost before insurance, still had a bit of sticker shock after insurance.

I opted to go ahead and have the office that had been working with my retinopathy to order my lenses and they should be here in about 2 weeks. I went with Oakley Airdrops in grey shadow with the digital bifocals and whatever anti-glare, scratch resistant, bs they sold me but was told they would be pretty much indestructible. Curious to hear anyone else's experience with getting acclimated to their new eyes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1451.50
      07-20-2018, 08:45 AM   #2
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

I have work glasses my entire life so I cannot comment on getting used to them. My assumption is that it will happen quickly as you will enjoy wearing them since you can see so much better. You won't want to go back to the blurred vision. Is Lasik or anything similar an option with that eye condition? Also what about contacts? I typically wear contacts except at home or work I wear glasses.

Yea they can be very pricey. The lenses have so many options like anti glare and auto tinting etc that jack up the price. I personally hated the glasses without the nosepads. I found myself always having to push them up as they slide down. I am fine with sunglasses being like that since the hours of usage is much less but my eyeglasses have to have the pads.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #3
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
I have work glasses my entire life so I cannot comment on getting used to them. My assumption is that it will happen quickly as you will enjoy wearing them since you can see so much better. You won't want to go back to the blurred vision. Is Lasik or anything similar an option with that eye condition? Also what about contacts? I typically wear contacts except at home or work I wear glasses.

Yea they can be very pricey. The lenses have so many options like anti glare and auto tinting etc that jack up the price. I personally hated the glasses without the nosepads. I found myself always having to push them up as they slide down. I am fine with sunglasses being like that since the hours of usage is much less but my eyeglasses have to have the pads.
The doctor didn't really mention Lasik or contacts. I was told my eyes aren't that bad, but due to the condition of the left eye it degrades overall vision. I look at a lot of technical drawings and blueprints with my job and find focusing or even being able read small lettering gives me a lot of problems. I was concerned about the nose pad issue as well as my Persol sunglasses tend to slide off my nose when I have had them on for a while. One of the reasons that I liked the Oakley's as they have a rubber nose piece built into the frame on the bridge. I'm actually looking forward to being able to see better. For the past few months, I have been wearing some cheap reading glasses when needed but I can't wear them all day as they only help with being able to see up close. I do hate that I have wait 2 more weeks to see clearly.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Oakley frames are fine and progressive lenses are great - that’s probably what your getting. The digital refers to the grinding of the lens surfaces.

Your lenses certainly won’t be indestructible. And many of the anti-reflective coating don’t like certain alcohols that are in certain liquid cleansers. W/O knowing your Rx, there is a technique and time-frame for getting used to progressive lenses.

The office where u got your glasses probably sent out to a lab to have the lenses shaped and inserted into the frame. That’s why two weeks, unless u have a very unusual Rx.
If you get your frames and they fit comfortably and within a day or two your lenses start to lose any of the distortion that accompanies new progressives and you can go from distance viewing to reading with just a movement of your head then you know you have a nice pair of eyeglasses.

I wear KameMannen metal frames and progressive lenses - my shop orders surfaced lenses from a lab and edges/shapes the lenses at the shop for insertion into the frame.

I go to an independent optical shop in PA. The owner is a licensed optician with an Associates Degree in opticianry and contact dispensing. His mother was an optician and grandparents back in Germany go back a few generations of being guilded opticians.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #5
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Oakley frames are fine and progressive lenses are great - that’s probably what your getting. The digital refers to the grinding of the lens surfaces.

Your lenses certainly won’t be indestructible. And many of the anti-reflective coating don’t like certain alcohols that are in certain liquid cleansers. W/O knowing your Rx, there is a technique and time-frame for getting used to progressive lenses.

The office where u got your glasses probably sent out to a lab to have the lenses shaped and inserted into the frame. That’s why two weeks, unless u have a very unusual Rx.
If you get your frames and they fit comfortably and within a day or two your lenses start to lose any of the distortion that accompanies new progressives and you can go from distance viewing to reading with just a movement of your head then you know you have a nice pair of eyeglasses.

I wear KameMannen metal frames and progressive lenses - my shop orders surfaced lenses from a lab and edges/shapes the lenses at the shop for insertion into the frame.

I go to an independent optical shop in PA. The owner is a licensed optician with an Associates Degree in opticianry and contact dispensing. His mother was an optician and grandparents back in Germany go back a few generations of being guilded opticians.
Thank you for the info! I didn't really want to get Oakley frames to begin with but after everything that I tried on they were the most comfortable. Glad to hear you like the progressive lenses. From others that I've talked to the progressive lenses seem to be the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #6
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

what kind of treatment are you getting for your CSR if you dont mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 10:12 AM   #7
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Worn glasses since i was 5. Unfortunately Oakleys are garbage. Dont hold up. Prefer Ray Bans when it comes to daily worn glasses.

You will get used to the glasses so quickly, you wont even think about it after a week.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      07-20-2018, 10:20 AM   #8
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
what kind of treatment are you getting for your CSR if you dont mind me asking?
I've been going in for the past 3 months having x-rays taken. It has decreased in size each visit so they aren't going to do anything about it. The doc stated yesterday that he could shoot a laser at it and disperse the fluid but since it is going down on it's own he didn't really want to go this route and potentially leave scar tissue.
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      07-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #9
NicoleLusts4BMW
BeachBitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M Package 20" wheels

I wear glasses and have for over 20 years and I am 37...ok I 'll be 38 in December. I also have progressives and found Ray Bans are the best for daily wear. I wouldn't get too hung up on aging. The alternative does not end well.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      07-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #10
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
Worn glasses since i was 5. Unfortunately Oakleys are garbage. Dont hold up. Prefer Ray Bans when it comes to daily worn glasses.

You will get used to the glasses so quickly, you wont even think about it after a week.
I really didn't want to get Oakley's to be honest. I wanted Persol but they didn't have them. I'll go with these for a while and see how they hold up. I've heard the same about Ray-Ban's not holding up well either. In sunglasses I've had many pair of both but always leaned more toward Ray-Ban. I've always had this mindset that Oakley's are for Cops, pro volleyball players and frat boys. This is why I typically only wear my Oakley's when working outside. For comfort I wear my Ray-Ban predators and for style points I wear my Persols. I do like that Oakley's ANSI ratings are higher than OSHA standards for safety glasses again which is why I wear them when working outside although I do catch hell from friends for being eccentric. I hear often about how my work glasses are more expensive than most people's good glasses. My 5 squared and Scalpel lenses look like they've been showered with meteors but I'd much rather have those dings in those lenses than the imagine the contact of flying debris that hit them make contact with my eyes from rocks, dust, grinding wheel sparks/frag, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #11
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLusts4BMW View Post
I wear glasses and have for over 20 years and I am 37...ok I 'll be 38 in December. I also have progressives and found Ray Bans are the best for daily wear. I wouldn't get too hung up on aging. The alternative does not end well.
Ray-Bans were the direction I wanted to go in but I didn't like any of the frames I tried on. If my sunglasses and watch collection is any testament to how I will be with my glasses, I'll more than likely end up with multiple pair to change out with how I'm feeling that day. My friends calling me eccentric is starting to hit home as I type this....
Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1451.50
      07-20-2018, 11:08 AM   #12
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I just ordered a replacement pair yesterday, my first bifocals at almost 52yo. I've worn contacts since I was about 16, and my prescription for distance has not changed for about 30 years. About 3 yeras ago Dr. started adding progressive bifocal on the contacts. I still have a bit of difficulty seeing really small with the contacts. If I want to see close up, I either get out a magnifying glass, or take off the contacts.

I got basic metal frames that were really comfortable - $35. Bifocal with a line was $67. Since I'm -4.00 I opted for polycarbonate so they wouldn't quite be coke bottles - $43. Transitions cost me $97, but there is no way I'm wearing my shades over my specs.

I'll rarely (I hope) wear these glasses. I have them for on-call status. If the PD calls me at 0-dark thirty, I probably can't put in my contacts. I use a H2O2 cleaning solution for the contacts, and they have to sit for 6+ hours. I made the mistake of putting them in early ONCE.

Because these would be used so rarely (I hope) Dr. recommended AGAINST progressives because of the learning curve.

Last edited by UncleWede; 07-20-2018 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: Really, I meant Wouldn't, not would
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      07-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #13
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I just ordered a replacement pair yesterday, my first bifocals at almost 52yo. I've worn contacts since I was about 16, and my prescription for distance has not changed for about 30 years. About 3 yeras ago Dr. started adding progressive bifocal on the contacts. I still have a bit of difficulty seeing really small with the contacts. If I want to see close up, I either get out a magnifying glass, or take off the contacts.

I got basic metal frames that were really comfortable - $35. Bifocal with a line was $67. Since I'm -4.00 I opted for polycarbonate so they wouldn't quite be coke bottles - $43. Transitions cost me $97, but there is no way I'm wearing my shades over my specs.

I'll rarely (I hope) wear these glasses. I have them for on-call status. If the PD calls me at 0-dark thirty, I probably can't put in my contacts. I use a H2O2 cleaning solution for the contacts, and they have to sit for 6+ hours. I made the mistake of putting them in early ONCE.

Because these would be used so rarely (I hope) Dr. recommended AGAINST progressives because of the learning curve.
I opted out of the transition lenses. The lady helping me pick out frames mentioned that they wouldn't go dark inside my car or if I wore a baseball cap. I suppose I will just swap between shades and rx while driving. Can't say that blame you on the progressives. I've heard from several people that it will mess with me until I get used to them. I really wish I didn't have to wait 2 weeks. I walked around yesterday with one dilated and my vision is all out of sorts today.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #14
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
I opted out of the transition lenses. The lady helping me pick out frames mentioned that they wouldn't go dark inside my car or if I wore a baseball cap. I suppose I will just swap between shades and rx while driving. Can't say that blame you on the progressives. I've heard from several people that it will mess with me until I get used to them. I really wish I didn't have to wait 2 weeks. I walked around yesterday with one dilated and my vision is all out of sorts today.
Contacts can be a hassle, but the vision is SO much better than glasses.
Appreciate 1
stimey38.50
      07-20-2018, 01:33 PM   #15
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

I have a little bump on my eye that they tell me is from sun damage. I guess never wearing sunglasses isnt a good idea. I ended up getting perscription sunglasses and regular glasses at JINS.

I remember putting my glasses on the first time and walking back to our hotel (In SF at the at the time) I kept stepping too high to get on curbs and felt dizzy the whole way. It took some time to get used to seeing so clearly as the clarity disrupted my sense of depth.

I do like seeing the world in HD though, haha.

I need some prescription oakleys to go outdoors in. Speaking of Oakley, they have a cool headquarters

Nice backdrop for car photos as you can drive up really close
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      07-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #16
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
I have a little bump on my eye that they tell me is from sun damage. I guess never wearing sunglasses isnt a good idea. I ended up getting perscription sunglasses and regular glasses at JINS.

I remember putting my glasses on the first time and walking back to our hotel (In SF at the at the time) I kept stepping too high to get on curbs and felt dizzy the whole way. It took some time to get used to seeing so clearly as the clarity disrupted my sense of depth.

I do like seeing the world in HD though, haha.

I need some prescription oakleys to go outdoors in. Speaking of Oakley, they have a cool headquarters

Nice backdrop for car photos as you can drive up really close
I took some meds when I was younger that made my eyes extremely sensitive to sunlight so I got in the habit of wearing sunglasses early. To this day if I spend any prolonged amount of time in the sun without them I get terrible migraines.

Had never seen O's HQ beofre, pretty unique entrance for sure.
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1135.00
      07-20-2018, 04:00 PM   #17
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Speaking of Oakley, they have a cool headquarters

Isn't that the "Super Bug" from Starship Troopers?
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
MKSixer34171.50
      07-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #18
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Isn't that the "Super Bug" from Starship Troopers?
It's the smart bug! "He's afraid!"
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #19
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I turned 50 this year so got them checked for the first time in a long time, but don't need glasses. I also don't use reading glasses yet. I know the day will come for both, though.

That said, I spend enough for my wife's glasses to feel the financial pain. Costs are insane and I have trouble reconciling what she spends vs. the commercials for places like Stanton Optical. I guess it's like comparing the price of a loaded M4 to a stripper Kia.
King Rudi13152.00
      07-20-2018, 05:17 PM   #20
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

Quote:
So I've had some issues with my left eye for the past few years, central serous retinopathy which is like a blister on your retina. Yesterday I go to have this checked out again and was informed that I need glasses. I'm 41, I have been pretty rough on my body throughout the years and it's to be expected, no big deal. When I was told I needed bifocals, it instantly started the mindset of being "old." I realize there are younger people than I am with bifocals I suppose it's just a mental stigma of mine.

Being new to needing glasses, I'm curious to those who currently wear them. What are your conditions that require glasses? What kind of adjustment period did it take to get comfortable with them? What type, style or brand do you wear? Most importantly, where do you buy them? I almost had a heart attack yesterday when I was told how much they would cost before insurance, still had a bit of sticker shock after insurance.

I opted to go ahead and have the office that had been working with my retinopathy to order my lenses and they should be here in about 2 weeks. I went with Oakley Airdrops in grey shadow with the digital bifocals and whatever anti-glare, scratch resistant, bs they sold me but was told they would be pretty much indestructible. Curious to hear anyone else's experience with getting acclimated to their new eyes.
Interesting topic and one of the kinds of threads I appreciate and can interact in.

I am almost 48 (less than 2 weeks) and I noticed my reading and up close vision of tiny letters weakening @ 44 for me. I've had perfect vision all my life based on the general eye exams from my family Doc. Also I started noticing glare at night from oncoming headlights. I went in with my wife who has had to wear glasses/contacts since she was a teen. The Doc explained that no matter who you are, human beings vision begin deteriorating substantially by age 40 and continue to do so for the rest of your life. Some more so than others. I was prescribed a pair of glasses specifically for reading and computer work. They work great! I also got an optional pair of low power far sighted glasses for night driving. But they also make everything at a distance look super sharp. Kind of like HD vs SD.
So yeah, I feel you. Life happens.
      07-20-2018, 11:10 PM   #21
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Interesting topic and one of the kinds of threads I appreciate and can interact in.

I am almost 48 (less than 2 weeks) and I noticed my reading and up close vision of tiny letters weakening @ 44 for me. I've had perfect vision all my life based on the general eye exams from my family Doc. Also I started noticing glare at night from oncoming headlights. I went in with my wife who has had to wear glasses/contacts since she was a teen. The Doc explained that no matter who you are, human beings vision begin deteriorating substantially by age 40 and continue to do so for the rest of your life. Some more so than others. I was prescribed a pair of glasses specifically for reading and computer work. They work great! I also got an optional pair of low power far sighted glasses for night driving. But they also make everything at a distance look super sharp. Kind of like HD vs SD.
So yeah, I feel you. Life happens.
Same thing for me...but if I had longer arms I wouldn't need to wear glasses though.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
UncleWede17880.00
      07-20-2018, 11:12 PM   #22
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:

What a refreshing thread...no one is arguing or calling each other names.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00