BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-12-2021, 10:58 AM   #1
cameronfey
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 2012 535i

Frozen Dark Grey or XPEL Stealth Oxide Grey M3?

Hey guys,

I'm considering ordering a G80 soon and I'm stuck between the colors. On one side, FDG is the color I liked due to its blueish undertone and it's special in the US, but it costs 5k more and hard to maintain. On the other hand, I find oxide grey looking quite similar and it is a serial color that costs a fraction of the price. I can apply XPEL Stealth to make it look satin/frozen and have the option to revert back to gloss. However, I don't like the goldenish undertone but I don't know how much I would care in the long run. XPEL stealth cost is budgeted in for both already, just wanted to hear others opinion if it is worth getting FDG and it's going to be more of a headache in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 03:23 AM   #2
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

you will have headache either way.

In keeping clean the frozen should even be easier.
The only downside of frozen color is if you get a scratch you have to repaint the whole piece and it's hard to match the color of the rest of the car.
There are possibilities to protect with XPEL I think specially for frozen, also ceramic coating for keeping clean is possible on frozen color.

Anyway, hearing what you write Oxide is not the color for you, the gold will be visible quiet good.
go for frozen dark grey, i'm sure you wont regret it.
And if metallic or frozen:
We all usually take really care of the car and watch out to not get scratches, it applies to both
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2021, 07:45 AM   #3
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I have always liked the look of frozen paints but I think I'm too OCD to own a car with paint I can't correct.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2021, 11:17 AM   #4
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, E60 M5, F06 M6, F15, F90

Get a frozen dark grey! That’s what I ordered and if you get a scratch just live with it... I find people worry too much about stupid things...
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2021, 12:54 PM   #5
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronfey View Post
Hey guys,

I'm considering ordering a G80 soon and I'm stuck between the colors. On one side, FDG is the color I liked due to its blueish undertone and it's special in the US, but it costs 5k more and hard to maintain. On the other hand, I find oxide grey looking quite similar and it is a serial color that costs a fraction of the price. I can apply XPEL Stealth to make it look satin/frozen and have the option to revert back to gloss. However, I don't like the goldenish undertone but I don't know how much I would care in the long run. XPEL stealth cost is budgeted in for both already, just wanted to hear others opinion if it is worth getting FDG and it's going to be more of a headache in the long run.
If you're OCD about your paint, then get PPF. You can either get a metallic and PPF stealth it, or PPF a frozen color, but obviously PPF frozen color is gonna be $$$ (+5K for paint job, +5K again for PPF). So the more "sensible" option is to just choose a metallic color you like and PPF stealth it if you want PPF and a matte color.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #6
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Why not PPF the frozen paint then? Get the color you want and protect it.

Cost of the car hardly changes when you add a 5k paint. 80-85k is the same to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 02:16 PM   #7
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post

Cost of the car hardly changes when you add a 5k paint. 80-85k is the same to me.
If you're leasing...sure. It's a few extra bucks a month for individual plus $5k for the PPF.

But if you're paying cash or financing it's a $10k paint job.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 03:02 PM   #8
Andrae26
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post

It changes the color drastically. I have frozen blue M3CS and as soon as they applied PPF to front of the car I asked for it to be removed.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 03:09 PM   #9
jeffrc3m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80

Frozen Dark Grey for sure. Have one on order now coming to Ohio. There are some good products out there now to protect the paint. scratches are unavoidable and usually you're the only one to see them when your washing the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 05:09 PM   #10
cameronfey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrae26 View Post
It changes the color drastically. I have frozen blue M3CS and as soon as they applied PPF to front of the car I asked for it to be removed.
I do planning on getting XPEL Stealth on the FDG if I go with that. It's hard for me to gauge how the color will change. Can you speak more on how the color changed and if it was xpel stealth or a different product?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 05:10 PM   #11
cameronfey
Rep

Thanks all for your inputs. I'm certainly leaning more towards FDG after hearing all your thoughts
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 05:45 PM   #12
Andrae26
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I do planning on getting XPEL Stealth on the FDG if I go with that. It's hard for me to gauge how the color will change. Can you speak more on how the color changed and if it was xpel stealth or a different product?
It was Xpel stealth. Here's a pic for reference. Frozen paint is more satin so when you apply PPF it makes it just matte. It doesn't have the beautiful factory finish.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
Jcali861479.00
Lee808230.50
RockinPA4848.00
nathanm4683.00
eMMit226.50
      04-14-2021, 12:51 AM   #13
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
It was Xpel stealth. Here's a pic for reference. Frozen paint is more satin so when you apply PPF it makes it just matte. It doesn't have the beautiful factory finish.
Did not think that stealth PPF would make that big of a difference on matte paint. There's no way you want to put that layer of PPF on if it changes the appearance of the paint in that way.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 02:49 AM   #14
Lee808
Out in the middle of the sea
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for posting a reference pic. I was seriously considering FDG and wrapping it with stealth as well but I couldn't not find any photos of a frozen wrapped in stealth. Xpel says that's what stealth is made for but that really changes the appearance of the frozen paint
Appreciate 1
Andrae26852.00
      04-25-2021, 09:57 AM   #15
rogurat
Rogue
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Comp

Would the solution to wrapping Frozen Paint, specifically Frozen Deep or Frozen Dark - be resolved by wrapping in regular XPEL?(Not the stealth) - What does regular PPF look like on a frozen car?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 10:30 AM   #16
Jmpascual
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I lease a frozen brilliant white M4. Didn't want to fully cover the car with PPF so I had the front bumper, mirrors, and hood wrapped with stealth. The rest of the car has a ceramic coating. I can't tell the difference between the look of the PPF and paint. Maybe because it's white?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 11:06 AM   #17
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogurat View Post
Would the solution to wrapping Frozen Paint, specifically Frozen Deep or Frozen Dark - be resolved by wrapping in regular XPEL?(Not the stealth) - What does regular PPF look like on a frozen car?
Stek dynomatt provides the closest to frozen look and is hydrophobic.

Expel stealth doesn't look right
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 12:25 PM   #18
Andrae26
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmpascual View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I lease a frozen brilliant white M4. Didn't want to fully cover the car with PPF so I had the front bumper, mirrors, and hood wrapped with stealth. The rest of the car has a ceramic coating. I can't tell the difference between the look of the PPF and paint. Maybe because it's white?
I would think It's because it's white.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 12:26 PM   #19
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogurat View Post
here's a comparison on Rennlist for reference https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1233...-vs-expel.html
I've used both XPEL and SunTek, never Stek but I liked the SunTek better than XPEL
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 11:25 AM   #20
srdbx
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 (G80)

I just got my oxide grey M3 PPF'd with a matte finish. The colour still dynamic and changes in different settings. I'll take some additional pictures if anyone is interested in seeing. First picture is without PPF.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
RockinPA4848.00
adr_M3368.50
chicagofan0019141.50
element561091.00
'Cane8499.50
      10-30-2021, 11:46 AM   #21
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '22 Mexico Blue G80 xDrive, '2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by srdbx View Post
I just got my oxide grey M3 PPF'd with a matte finish. The colour still dynamic and changes in different settings. I'll take some additional pictures if anyone is interested in seeing. First picture is without PPF.
Wow! The stealth application on this oxide looks rad! That looks awesome!! Nicely done.
Now some bronze/ gold powder coated factory wheels and even better. Looks good dude.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 11:48 AM   #22
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '22 Mexico Blue G80 xDrive, '2

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This is good to know… thanks for posting
Appreciate 0