BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

04-06-2021, 10:02 AM   #23
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

may be a dumb question, however I have not researched much when it comes to ceramic coating on wheels. For those who have done this on their wheels (inside barrels) does the brake dust just wash off?

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 11:10 AM   #24
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
may be a dumb question, however I have not researched much when it comes to ceramic coating on wheels. For those who have done this on their wheels (inside barrels) does the brake dust just wash off?
I can say with experience that ceramic coating does NOT make brake dust "just wash off". Does it make it easier to wash off brake dust? Sorta.

I've got 763M wheels on my current M2 and had them coated before install, but I still have to use wheel cleaner and agitation after a track day or a day on the back roads. The dust finds a magic way to stick to that matte black finish.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10722.50
      04-06-2021, 11:17 AM   #25
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post
I can say with experience that ceramic coating does NOT make brake dust "just wash off". Does it make it easier to wash off brake dust? Sorta.

I've got 763M wheels on my current M2 and had them coated before install, but I still have to use wheel cleaner and agitation after a track day or a day on the back roads. The dust finds a magic way to stick to that matte black finish.
yea thats what I was thinking. The only way I would consider that for wheels is if it made cleaning WAY easier, but based off your answer that doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks for the input

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 11:33 AM   #26
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
yea thats what I was thinking. The only way I would consider that for wheels is if it made cleaning WAY easier, but based off your answer that doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks for the input
Wheels are going to get beat up anyways. My issue isn't so much the brake dust as it is pitting from rocks/sand. No ceramic coating is going to prevent that unfortunately (are people wrapping wheels yet? heh)
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10722.50
      04-06-2021, 11:47 AM   #27
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
I wouldn’t base your decision off of one person’s experience. Matte black wheels in general are a nightmare and will never purchase a set again because no matter what they will always look dirty. Coating your wheels massively helps and will keep them looking cleaner a bit longer than if it had nothing. There is no magic product that requires no agitation. Idk why that has always been a misconception ever since sonax wheel cleaner came out. Track days will most likely require more effort, but daily driving with coated wheels should be an easy wash with the basic wheel detailing tools.

If this is too much for people that’s why detailers exist and make a living off of the ones who can’t perform details for whatever reason.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10722.50
      04-07-2021, 06:49 AM   #28
BrooklynGreyM3
///MFlight Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3CX G80

Due to the cost of this car I went ahead and had PPF applied to the front half of the car to include the mirrors. I then had the entire car ceramic coated with 2 coats to include the wheels and brake calipers. I see this car as an investment since I plan to keep it for a while and want it to look as good as it can down the road.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 07:19 AM   #29
bulkychipmonk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixx007 View Post
Due to the cost of this car I went ahead and had PPF applied to the front half of the car to include the mirrors. I then had the entire car ceramic coated with 2 coats to include the wheels and brake calipers. I see this car as an investment since I plan to keep it for a while and want it to look as good as it can down the road.
Would you mind sharing how much you paid for PPF? My dealer doesn’t do it anymore but gave me a quote from someone they know: $2400 for the front of the car only and $6500 for entire car. Never had it done before so absolutely no idea if these prices are competitive or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 07:37 AM   #30
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

I have the Inner barrels on my GTR powder coated and it wipes right off!! The wheels are 3 piece with black spokes, chrome outer barrel/lip. I've always done a dustless brake pad ( No such thing ) but they def help with the dust. I would recommend the powder coating to anyone who want the inside to look nice and clean. Im not a fan of the inside being all coated in rock hard black dust!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 08:41 AM   #31
BrooklynGreyM3
///MFlight Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulkychipmonk View Post
Would you mind sharing how much you paid for PPF? My dealer doesn’t do it anymore but gave me a quote from someone they know: $2400 for the front of the car only and $6500 for entire car. Never had it done before so absolutely no idea if these prices are competitive or not.
I don't think my price would help you out since I'm in Germany and they tend to charge different prices compared to the states. I know I paid a lot less than what's offered in the states which is why I decided to get it done here before I go back to the states with my M3 (US Spec).
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 08:58 AM   #32
lch6257
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E93 M3-DCT,'21 G80 M3-6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lch6257 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby818 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by npcars View Post
@robby818 Hey, I'm very curious as to why you mention "unless I buy a white car" with regard to ceramic coating? Can you elaborate on this? Looking into getting it done on my AW CS, so I'm doing research as best as I can. Thanks!
One of the nice things about white is that is all but impossible to see micro scratches and the extra gloss provided by ceramic coatings is not as noticeable. Ceramic coating does make it is a little easier to clean dirt off of the paint but if you just use a ceramic spray or wax when you dry, it should be enough to repel dirt. If I had an Alpine white X5, I would just get it polished every year and not spend 1200-1500 for a ceramic coating.
I got my alpine white G80 ceramic coated this week, three coats, wheels pulled, barrels coated, calipers, grills side skirts, cf roof, laserlight lenses, glass, the works. I have never done ceramic coat before on any car. I nearly choked on the $1,200 investment plus tip. However, it is a night and day difference especially down in the UV sunshine state tropics of south Florida. The car shines WAY more than delivery and although I haven't had it back but for a few hours to flip it to tint shop, I can say the coating is worth the $$$$ on an Alpine White no question.
I appreciate your first-hand account! Please share more pics if you have them!
I'm in Austin....the summers get pretty sunny here too 😂 🥵
Here are some shots after tint. I did a wash down with water and dry off, first time after coating and it was super easy to clean. I think the coating is worth the cost even on Alpine White which hides dirt and spots really well. Btw, that is a 2012 E93 M3 under the cover. The car is just to good to sell and it's a contrast in Jerez Metallic Black and convertible. I needed a four door and wanted a manual so the G80 and E93-DCT convertible make a solid combination.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-09-2021, 08:29 AM   #33
BrooklynGreyM3
///MFlight Member
Rep

Here are pics of my car the day I picked it up from having the PPF and ceramic done.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 04:48 PM   #34
warcity
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Manual

G80/82 PPF/Ceramic Coat

Hi everyone:

A week after I picked up my G82 (mid April), I took it the to the pros at Prestige Auto Detailing in Toronto for a hood/bumper/fender PPF and two coats of H9 Ceramic.

Like mine, if you have a matte frozen colour, you know you can't wax, or take to a touch carwash or use a shampoo without a proper PH balance. Ceramic/PPF is HIGHLY recommended.

I am not affiliated with Prestige Auto Detailers but HIGHLY recommend them. They did a great job.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9lvvp2uwph...%2059.mp4?dl=0
kith_m4186.50
      05-23-2021, 01:11 PM   #35
jeffrc3m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by warcity View Post
Hi everyone:

A week after I picked up my G82 (mid April), I took it the to the pros at Prestige Auto Detailing in Toronto for a hood/bumper/fender PPF and two coats of H9 Ceramic.

Like mine, if you have a matte frozen colour, you know you can't wax, or take to a touch carwash or use a shampoo without a proper PH balance. Ceramic/PPF is HIGHLY recommended.

I am not affiliated with Prestige Auto Detailers but HIGHLY recommend them. They did a great job.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9lvvp2uwph...%2059.mp4?dl=0
Do you have any pics? Which wrap did you use on the FDG?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 12:22 PM   #36
aford
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

100% ceramic. While I have the ability to decon and apply ceramic myself, I'm not a PRO and want that product applied professionally. It takes time and care and I'm willing to pay for it. I have it on my DG X4MC and will also have it applied to my AW G80 when it arrives later this summer.

Benefits: It makes cleaning simple, enhances the look and protects the paint.

I don't drive enough milage to justify the expense of PPF but totally understand why others swear by it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 12:29 PM   #37
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aford View Post
100% ceramic. While I have the ability to decon and apply ceramic myself, I'm not a PRO and want that product applied professionally. It takes time and care and I'm willing to pay for it. I have it on my DG X4MC and will also have it applied to my AW G80 when it arrives later this summer.

I don't drive enough milage to justify the expense of PPF but totally understand why others swear by it.
I agree!! Ceramic is good and deff better than nothing. But you can't compare the 2 in my opinion. Wrap is going to be the best option PERIOD. It's the best thing ever maybe
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 05:40 PM   #38
jeffrc3m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aford View Post

I agree!! Ceramic is good and deff better than nothing. But you can't compare the 2 in my opinion. Wrap is going to be the best option PERIOD. It's the best thing ever maybe
Have you seen a satin wrap on a frozen color? Curious on how much it changes the appearance. Waiting on a FDG m3. Plan to wrap the front bumper, check out the difference and decide if I wrap it all or ceramic the rest.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 07:23 PM   #39
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
100% worth it either diy or professionally done
Appreciate 1
Nettles756.50
      05-25-2021, 10:59 PM   #40
Roki
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Frozen Bluestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixx007 View Post
Quote:
I don't think my price would help you out since I'm in Germany and they tend to charge different prices compared to the states. I know I paid a lot less than what's offered in the states which is why I decided to get it done here before I go back to the states with my M3 (US Spec).
I just had my whole car done. $2400 for the front end (bumper, hood, front fenders, mirror caps) is not terrible. The front bumper is labor intensive and you want a good shop that will take their time so you don't get knife marks in the paint. $6500 for the whole car is cheap, assuming it's a high quality PPF. The back end is time consuming and they have to remove the factory PPF from the front of rear fender carefully. You may want to check if they are including the side rails as those are high impact areas and the CF roof.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 06:38 PM   #41
amzbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 comp San Marino Status 112

Quote:
You're in line with what I'm getting in the northeast from reputable places. The range is huge, and the good places seem to be around $1800-$2k for just the front, fenders and mirrors, and $6-8k for the whole car in Xpel.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 06:36 PM   #42
theone210
theone210
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 competition xdrive

Twix007. I am in town. I ordered my car and it will be here in few months. Who did you use for ceramic coating. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 06:38 PM   #43
theone210
theone210
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 competition xdrive

Ktown

I meant ktown
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 12:30 PM   #44
merlin3008
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

I was debating, but I think I've decided not to coat the car. I'm a hobby detailer and love polishing and sealing my cars every season. It's decompression time for me. I've managed to keep my previous cars in darn good shape for years with regular detailing and a solid three bucket wash routine. Ceramic coating is really nice, but it doesn't make the car swirl proof. I can imagine some dealership accidently running the car through their wash, or even me using the wrong towel on it one day and damaging the surface. With a coated car, you have the remove the product and redo the whole process. I'd much rather take out my polisher for a few hours and correct my mistake for a fraction of the cost.
2016 M235i xdrive, Alpine White, Terra Leather, Orbit Gray Wheels (Sold)
Appreciate 0