BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-02-2021, 07:47 AM   #23
BrooklynGreyM3
///MFlight Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3CX G80

Looks like you can't save your HUD sport display setup with the TACH on any of the M1 or M2 settings. Only way to do bring up the HUD in sport mode with TACH is to select your M1 or M2 and then press the MMode button down on the middle console.
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      04-07-2021, 02:17 PM   #24
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajahfl View Post
I used to have an E92 and now I currently have an F80 that I love. One of the newer reasons I love my current car, aside from how the nose and hood look, is the presence of my console buttons. For the uninitiated, the console buttons are the physical buttons on previous M cars near the gear lever that allow you to customize traction/MDM, throttle/power, steering weight and suspension stiffness/EDC.

IMO, I actually have three M drive modes — M1, M2, and realtime-customized based on which console button I press for other specific driving conditions. The benefit of this is, I can be in my sportiest M2 setting and then on the fly change the suspension stiffness to a little softer if a new road I'm on is crappier than other roads or be in my more comfortable M1 setting and then bump up any one of the other settings based on what I feel like.

When I found out that in the new 2021+ M cars, the typical console buttons had been replaced with a single M mode button, which is actually a shortcut to an iDrive menu, I immediately reconsidered getting a new one.

For all the previous-generation M owners, do you miss the physical console buttons? This leads me to believe that now M owners only have M1 and M2 and cannot make real time adjustments to a particular driving condition. Is that true? I see that as a real design mistake.

This isn't a mud-slinging post. I would like to get a new M, but I want to know what people think, so please don't get defensive.
This bums me out. I always use those buttons to make adjustments to the M1, M2 settings. Having said that, I don't think it's a major enough inconvenience not to upgrade.
Appreciate 1
rajahfl38.50
      04-07-2021, 02:19 PM   #25
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
My understanding is that you can still make individual setting adjustments on the fly. There’s an extra step needed where you first need to access the iDrive menu with the console button but then, from there, you can toggle the different settings “on the fly” using the touchscreen.

IMO, the default setup on the G8X is also better than the one in the F8X with everything in Comfort. The fact that the F8X defaulted to the useless Efficient/Sport/Sport/D1 combo is my biggest gripe with the car, having to waste one of the M buttons for the granny/DD mode. With the G8X you have the default full granny mode plus two real M settings.
oh yeah, this is definitely better than the current setup. My M1 is currently used for the granny mode, which is a waste.
Appreciate 3
CanAutM321104.50
rajahfl38.50
      04-07-2021, 04:10 PM   #26
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixx007 View Post
Looks like you can't save your HUD sport display setup with the TACH on any of the M1 or M2 settings. Only way to do bring up the HUD in sport mode with TACH is to select your M1 or M2 and then press the MMode button down on the middle console.
Yes, it's certainly the case. It's really one of my biggest gripes with the newer M cars as I prefer the sport HUD, especially since has the nav integrated now.

This mode is also tied to turning off some nannies such as the lane keep /steering assist which has it's own set of pluses/minuses. I didn't have to worry about steering assist in the F80, but I have always set M2 to be my more aggressive mode like many. I always joke that a high HP car with good brakes and suspension is a necessity for safety purposes when driving on open/public roads, but I do really feel some legitimacy behind that. It was nice to know I could double tap M2 and avoid certain situations without looking down. Now, if I'm not already in sport mode through the M mode button and need to drive defensively, I have to fight the steering assist if that means I'm going over a solid line to avoid something. It's not horrible, but it's an added variable that could be catastrophic if unexpected.
rajahfl38.50
      04-08-2021, 03:47 AM   #27
BrooklynGreyM3
///MFlight Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3CX G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
Yes, it's certainly the case. It's really one of my biggest gripes with the newer M cars as I prefer the sport HUD, especially since has the nav integrated now.

This mode is also tied to turning off some nannies such as the lane keep /steering assist which has it's own set of pluses/minuses. I didn't have to worry about steering assist in the F80, but I have always set M2 to be my more aggressive mode like many. I always joke that a high HP car with good brakes and suspension is a necessity for safety purposes when driving on open/public roads, but I do really feel some legitimacy behind that. It was nice to know I could double tap M2 and avoid certain situations without looking down. Now, if I'm not already in sport mode through the M mode button and need to drive defensively, I have to fight the steering assist if that means I'm going over a solid line to avoid something. It's not horrible, but it's an added variable that could be catastrophic if unexpected.
Yeap, I hear you. When I'm not driving in M1 or M2 mode, I just hit that safety car button (the green circle around it) one time and it turns redish-orange and it disables the lane assist but keeps everything else on. I don't like that lane assist either.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 08:10 AM   #28
opielm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 TBII 6MT

Can the programmable memory buttons [1..8] be used as shortcuts to set specific attributes? The manual says: "The Drive functions can be stored on the programmable memory buttons and called up directly … for instance menu entries"
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 08:47 AM   #29
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by opielm View Post
Can the programmable memory buttons [1..8] be used as shortcuts to set specific attributes? The manual says: "The Drive functions can be stored on the programmable memory buttons and called up directly … for instance menu entries"
I think you're missing an "i" in "iDrive" in that quote, no?

Still, I think the answer is no. If I go into the car/m setup menu and try to hover over anything then hold one of the memory buttons to attempt to save it, I simply get "Unable to save".

I'd imagine it's a safety thing, they likely don't want actual drive settings to be altered with a ambiguous programmable button that could also be used to change a radio station, pull up a menu, start navigation, etc.
rajahfl38.50
      04-08-2021, 12:30 PM   #30
opielm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 TBII 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
I think you're missing an "i" in "iDrive" in that quote, no?
Correct, it should be iDrive. It would be nice if they were at least able to bring up a specific menu setting so they could be confirmed in the display.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #31
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by opielm View Post
Correct, it should be iDrive. It would be nice if they were at least able to bring up a specific menu setting so they could be confirmed in the display.
Seems like something you should be able to bring up through those buttons, but I can't seem to get into that specific through I drive directly. I can set my M1 configuration menu to pull up through one, but of course not change to M1 there.

You can pull up the menu through the setup button, and through a widget, or display it in your Guage cluster.
      04-09-2021, 04:54 AM   #32
rajahfl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
My understanding is that you can still make individual setting adjustments on the fly. There’s an extra step needed where you first need to access the iDrive menu with the console button but then, from there, you can toggle the different settings “on the fly” using the touchscreen.

IMO, the default setup on the G8X is also better than the one in the F8X with everything in Comfort. The fact that the F8X defaulted to the useless Efficient/Sport/Sport/D1 combo is my biggest gripe with the car, having to waste one of the M buttons for the granny/DD mode. With the G8X you have the default full granny mode plus two real M settings.
oh yeah, this is definitely better than the current setup. My M1 is currently used for the granny mode, which is a waste.
Mine too!
Appreciate 1
PVC153.00