BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-07-2021, 09:38 PM   #1
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Interview With M3/M4 Project Manager Robert Pilsl

https://www.bimmertoday.de/2021/04/0...bmw-m3-m4-g8x/
Google Translation:
Quote:
Project manager Robert Pilsl in an interview about the BMW M3 & M4 G8x

The new generation of BMW M3 and BMW M4 are without a doubt a lot to talk about. We recently had the exciting opportunity to talk in detail with project manager Robert Pilsl about the M3 G80 sedan and the M4 G82 coupé and used the interview to address some of the most discussed questions about the sixth generation. In addition to the controversial design, it is of course also about the technical components of both vehicles, the question of the higher weight and the upcoming offer of the M xDrive all-wheel drive.

BimmerToday.de: Most of the time we concentrate on other topics in the interviews, but in this case we also have to lose a few sentences about design. The reactions to the BMW M3 and M4 were very mixed, one could also speak of mixed. Did that surprise you or was it a little expected?
Robert Pilsl: So it didn't surprise us because we knew that our design would polarize. But the vehicles can also attract a bit of attention, so that was clear to us from the start. After all, they are not cars that you buy just to get from A to B. I myself got into the project in March 2018, saw a clay model for the first time, and of course when I saw the front I got a little bigger eyes at first. But as soon as I saw the car for the third or fourth time, I liked it better and better. In my opinion, the front design cannot really be experienced in a photo, you have to see it live and experience the three-dimensionality. And yes, it takes some getting used to, but in my eyes these were always the best designs, that didn't appeal to everyone at first glance and then quickly got a bit boring. That will certainly not happen to us here, even if in five years there will certainly still be people who do not like it. But I am absolutely certain that it will have the right effect in traffic.

BimmerToday.de: We didn't have a big visual differentiation between M3 and M4 in the last generation either, but with a view to the provocative design, did you consider making the M3 a little quieter and more inconspicuous than the M4?
Robert Pilsl: No, that was never an issue. Our strategy is very clear: M3 and M4 only differ in terms of the number of doors, everything else is as identical as possible. The M3 should therefore have the same driving dynamics, develop the same effect, just with two more doors and with a sedan instead of a coupé shape.

BimmerToday.de: In the last generations there has almost always been a change in the engine concept, first from the four-cylinder to the six-cylinder and then to the high-revving V8, and finally the biturbo six-cylinder. Apart from the performance, little has happened here at first glance, although the M3 and M4 have only now reached the level where the competitors have already been. Is this increase in performance a reaction to customer feedback because one or the other wished for a few more horsepower?
Robert Pilsl: No, I wouldn't be aware of that. Of course, the predecessor was not quite as strong as some others, but it always had the advantage in terms of driving dynamics and was able to more than compensate for the lower performance. A V8 was out of the question for us for reasons of weight, a four-cylinder is also not an option for the M3 and M4, so the decision for the biturbo six-cylinder was very easy. We have had very good experiences with the predecessor and convinced all skeptics. Now the engine has been improved again in some points and we are sure that the customers will like it.

BimmerToday.de: The big trend in the auto industry is currently the electrification of the drive for almost all models. At BMW, 48-volt electrical systems, plug-in hybrids and electric cars play an important role in many segments; the competitor from Affalterbach is also known to be looking towards four-cylinder with hybrid technology in the M3 and M4 segment. Why did you decide against an electrified drive?
Robert Pilsl: At the beginning of the project, we examined and discussed the issue of 48-volt electrical systems intensively and compared the advantages and disadvantages. We then came to the clear decision that the advantages could not compensate for the higher weight in the case of our vehicles.

BimmerToday.de: Similar to the abandonment of an electrified drive, the handset, which is still available, is an offer that should please purists very much. However, we have heard countless times in recent years that the demand for vehicles with manual transmissions has continued to decline. What shares are you hoping for the handset and in which markets do you see the greatest potential for this package?
Robert Pilsl: Worldwide we expect a share of around 10 percent for the handset, in individual markets such as the USA it will be a few percent more. The handset continues to be in great demand, especially in North America. We also see it as the basic principle of the M3, because the manual transmission is one of the few technical features that we really offered in all six generations. So we didn't just do that for our customers, but also to a certain extent for ourselves.

BimmerToday.de: Completely new in the world of the BMW M3 and M4, on the other hand, is the all-wheel drive, which you have consistently dispensed with up to now. Certainly there were inquiries about it years ago, after all, one or the other competitor has had this topic in their program for a long time. How did it come about that you have now made a different decision than for the previous generations?
Robert Pilsl: As with the manual switch, we give the customer the choice here too, they can choose the classic rear-wheel drive. That was not a question for us for a second either. But we have of course also seen that many customers want a year-round vehicle with all-wheel drive. We have developed a very good all-wheel drive system for the M5 and M8 and have seen that customers fully accept this, certainly also because the 2WD mode can still be activated at the push of a button.

BimmerToday.de: Can you already say what distribution of market shares you expect between the rear-wheel drive and the all-wheel drive variants?
Robert Pilsl: We are assuming that we will sell 60 to 65 percent of all sixth generation M3 and M4 with M xDrive. Of course, the M4 convertible, which we will only sell with all-wheel drive, also plays a role. We therefore expect that the majority of customers will not do without the additional traction.

BimmerToday.de: With the new M3 and M4 Competition, the factory specification is 3.9 seconds for the sprint from 0 to 100 , the all-wheel drive will certainly be a few tenths faster here. Can you be more specific about that?
Robert Pilsl: I could, but a little patience is required.

BimmerToday.de: Are there any technical differences between the well-known M xDrive in M5 and M8 compared to the all-wheel drive in M3 and M4?
Robert Pilsl: No, it's the same system.

BimmerToday.de: One of the main arguments against all-wheel drive in the past generations was the additional weight. In general, the predecessor was much easier than the competition, why couldn't the predecessor's low level be maintained?
Robert Pilsl: That has a lot of background issues. It starts with the vehicle dimensions, the basic 3 and 4 series vehicles have simply become longer and wider. The regulations have also changed, with both crash safety and emissions requirements adding to the weight. We also have more standard equipment in the cars, including relatively heavy systems like variable damper control. We also have bigger brakes and bigger wheels than before. And of course, the stiffeners that were necessary to achieve one of our main goals are also very important: We wanted to top our predecessor, which was the driving dynamics benchmark in the segment, again. That was not easy and we had to do a lot for it. Of course, these struts also weigh something.

BimmerToday.de: In your opinion, what measures are primarily responsible for ensuring that the new M3 and M4 are so much better than their predecessors in the classic sports car disciplines?
Robert Pilsl: The front axle with the wider front tires plays a very important role. This is where we saw the greatest potential for improvement in the predecessor and we have taken that to a completely different level with the wider wheels at the front and the inch jump between the front and rear axles. We just couldn't offer this agility and precision before. And of course there is also the fact that the rear end must also be able to precisely follow such a strong front axle. The two axes must work together for an optimal result. For this purpose, we almost drew a framework into the underbody and, among other things, welded a push-pull anchor into the body-in-white in order to create a connection between the chassis and the body that was as rigid as possible.

BimmerToday.de: What we only saw with the absolute top models in the predecessor were rims of different sizes on the front and rear axles. What are the advantages exactly?
Robert Pilsl: In a nutshell, you can say that a little more air volume on the front axle improves stability and precision. In addition, the tires on the front axle get hotter, especially on the racetrack, because more braking force is transmitted here, and more air volume in the tire also has advantages for the temperature.

BimmerToday.de: There is an innovation in the body variants that many fans had to wait a long time for: The M3 Touring is officially confirmed. However, the station wagon comes much later than the M3 sedan, the M4 coupe and the M4 convertible. Why are you keeping the fans waiting so long after the announcement?
Robert Pilsl: For us, the BMW M3 Touring is a completely new vehicle, we haven't made a Touring for a while. We don't just put a different body on an existing chassis, because in the end the package should be just as convincing as the other variants. Some adjustments are necessary so that the Touring drives like a sedan, coupé or convertible.

BimmerToday.de: Surely the markets are also completely different from the other three variants?
Robert Pilsl: Yes. The M3 sedan, M4 coupe and M4 convertible have many large markets around the world, with a focus on North America. The M3 Touring has its main focus on the European markets of Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy.

BimmerToday.de: With the Touring offer, the only thing missing is a BMW M4 Gran Coupé, so that all versions of the 3 and 4 Series are also available as M models. Why do you continue to do without the four-door coupé?
Robert Pilsl: We'll stick with the well-known core models for the time being, then go one better with the Touring and believe overall that we are offering a very good mix. We don't see the need for an M4 Gran Coupé at the moment.

BimmerToday.de: The world has changed a lot in recent years. Not only the corona pandemic, but also climate protection and sustainability are playing an increasingly important role for more and more potential customers. Has the M3 and M4 segment had its prime or is it realistic, despite this background, to exceed the sales figures of its predecessors?
Robert Pilsl: We are convinced that we will once again surpass our very successful predecessor. We believe that there is still a very large target group for these vehicles. Perhaps there is even a positive aspect that one or the other would like to treat themselves to such a vehicle again, because nobody knows exactly what the future will bring.

BimmerToday.de: All right. Mr. Pilsl, thank you very much for the informative interview!
Appreciate 1
opielm88.00
      04-07-2021, 10:11 PM   #2
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Why is it a good design if it takes several times looking at it to decide you like it? I think that means you are just growing to tolerate it or become numb to it.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 12:12 AM   #3
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Why is it a good design if it takes several times looking at it to decide you like it? I think that means you are just growing to tolerate it or become numb to it.
Why does a Picasso sell for $100,000,000 while photorealistic landscapes or portraits can be bought for $0.50 at the local thrift store?

Having to look at something a few times to ‘get it’ isn’t a sign of bad design or art. It’s the same way that music can grow on you through exposure and repetition.

Is the new M3/M4 a Picasso? No lol. But thought I’d offer up some kind of explanation.
Appreciate 1
opielm88.00