BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

03-14-2021, 01:14 PM   #23
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
The 'bam' people like feeling with the dct during shifts is actually a negative at the track
SYT_Shadow11478.00
      03-14-2021, 02:52 PM   #24
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Back in the day the F8X was directly compared to the Alfa and one had DCT and the other ZF. For all those who are now driving the car and clearly noticing the difference, I wonder where they were back when they reviewed the Alfa and had no problems with their ZF.

For example, unless Chris Harris' review of the Alfa had clear language in it that the ZF was nothing like the DCT and in fact made the car much less interesting, then I can swallow the same comment for the G8X. But did he?
I do remember quite many comparative reviews where either the F8X or E9X were pitted against their competition (MB/Alfa/Audi/Caddy) and the DCT was often praised as being the more engaging transmission. This is not new.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 02:56 PM   #25
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
It would be interesting to see how many would have ticked a usual $3k M-DCT option if it was available. With ZF you not only get a better around town transmission with similar track performance you get $3k to spend on options or mods. That is if you can handle the “feel” of it and don’t want an MT.

In terms of M uniqueness of the DCT, no one remembers the E92 335 iS huh? It was that times M performance equivalent and it had...a DCT.
The price increment of the ZF8 is hidden in the Competition model hike over the base car, ZF8 is not a “free” option.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 03:04 PM   #26
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
The price increment of the ZF8 is hidden in the Competition model hike over the base car, ZF8 is not a “free” option.
ZF8 has been “free” for a long time vs. MT in all BMWs in NA. M-DCT never was.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 03:16 PM   #27
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
I drive a ZF8 in a G02 M40i and the DCT in a F87 CS (having previously driven a DCT for 6 years in my F80).

I much prefer the DCT in the CS over the ZF8 as the time between communicating an intent to shift (paddle shift/lever shift) is 'instant' to the point of being barely noticeable. In shift 2 and 3 speeds the gear has shifted before your fingers have lifted off the paddle shifter.

The ZF8 lacks that immediacy and I never drive in manual mode - its sweet spot is creamy auto shifting.

Needless to say in the F87 CS I manually shift all the time.

When reading this month's Porsche Christoporus magazine, it struck me Porsche was featuring a double spread on the PDK and explaining some significant advantages for the PDK when coupled to turbo engines. It's clear to me they are about performance and the PDK is front and centre in their roadmap for engineering improvement. I did feel a pang of regret that BMW M is walking away at this point from DCT. Especially as after a decade of DCT driving the DCT in the F87 CS when paired with the S55 in the car feels like the best BMW M has ever made (along with the F8x CS/DCT pairing).

Perhaps like Apple's constant jettisoning of popular technology whose time has come, M can see the future, but it's still a loss all the same. Hopefully the alternative is not true - that Porsche is seeing the PDK out with its ICE engines and will only deprecate the technology as part of the shift to electric motors and that BMW is saving cost expecting enough of its buyers will not care.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 03:22 PM   #28
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
I drive a ZF8 in a G02 M40i and the DCT in a F87 CS.

I much prefer the DCT in the CS as the time between communicating an intent to shift (paddle shift/lever shift) is 'instant' to the point of being barely noticeable. In shift 2 and 3 speeds gear has shifted before your fingers have lifted off the paddle shifter.

The ZF8 lacks that immediacy and I never drive in manual mode - its sweet spot is creamy auto shifting.

Needless to say in the F87 CS I manually shift all the time.

When reading this month's Porsche Christoporus magazine, it struck me Porsche was featuring a double spread on the PDK and explaining some significant advantages for the PDK when coupled to turbo engines. It's clear to me they are about performance and the PDK is front and centre in their roadmap for continuing engineering improvement. I did feel a pang of regret that BMW M is walking away at this point from DCT.

Perhaps like Apple's constant jettisoning of popular technology whose time has come, M can see the future, but it's still a loss all the same.
I would agree if BMW had invested in a new DCT equal or better than today’s PDK. The current M-DCT feel ancient in comparison. I recall a BMW engineer in some interview saying that a new DCT would have to add gears for environmental considerations and that it is too much of a packaging hurdle when mated with an inline six. The current M-DCT feel like a dinosaur vs the PDK in the 992. Given the apparent refinement of the G8X it seem a poor choice for the non special models. Maybe a good choice for a CS and definitely for a CSL
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 08:55 PM   #29
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
6MT guy who went DCT. Then went 911 PDK. Now that DCT is gone, I will only get a BMW in 6MT. Unless its a cruiser like 550 or 7 series.
      03-14-2021, 09:49 PM   #30
wj100
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Supra 3.0

Quote:
I really enjoy how the Quattroformaggio has been hailed as God's gift to mankind's driving ambitions, yet comes with a ZF.
When the F8X was being compared vs the Quattroformaggio I didn't see one of these clowns who is dying on the DCT hill say the Quattroformaggio was unacceptable due to using a ZF
Alfa QV driver here. That said, I've also owned an E90 M3 and an F82 M4. I traded my M4 with DCT for the Alfa knowing that the ZF was going to be a downgrade in feel and it's been true. While the ZF's shifts are certainly fast, it just doesn't have the "feel" the F82 DCT provided. I'd gladly trade some odd low speed transmission behavior for the joy the DCT provided the rest of the time. I will likely return to BMW for a G80, but the decision would be easier if the DCT was still on the menu.

PS, if you haven't driven a QV you really should. While the interior quality is way below the G80, the driving dynamics are truly special. Hard to explain if you haven't driven one, but the car feels light on its feet and alive, while remaining completely composed and compliant. There's definitely some magic going on with the engine/steering/chassis. Also, maybe I'm the one lucky guy in America, but I've had zero problems in 2+ years of ownership. That said, the G80 is calling...
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25083.00
Scorp!on1511.50
M09076.50