home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

04-15-2021, 03:05 AM   #1
snarkeygolbin
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

Winter tyres :-)

Hey all put my order in for the RWD yesterday.

Was unsure whether to wait for AWD but after two decent test drives (both in the dry) and the fact they gave me a stupid deal I could not refuse I went with RWD(I currently have an M140i, the traction seems great on the M3 compared with this!)

I live in the UK, dont plan on driving it in the snow as such (we dont get all that much and I work from home and have AWD suv if needed)...

But...

I will use it with low temperatures and the wet for distance travelling ( I want to drive it as often as possible).

I never did add winter tyres to the M140i but kind fo talked myself in the RWD as long as i use winter tyres.

What winter tyres do you recommend for a UK climate?

And howdoes it work (daft question I know). Do oyu keep a spare set of alloys with winter tyres on and swap them over or replace the tyres on current wheels for winter and back again for spring?

Do the tyres degrade in any wy if they are stored in say a cold garage (winter tyres stored over summber / summer tyres stored over winter).

Sorry for the daft questions, was so impressed by the G80 couldnt not wait and the deal they gave me saved me around £370 a month to what I expect to pay (approx 500usd) couldnt turn it down :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 07:06 AM   #2
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Snarkey,

Yes, many of us in climates where running summer tires year-round isn't wise buy a second set of wheels with appropriate tires and swap wheels twice a year. It's easier, obviously, if you have a garage and enough space to store a set of wheels year round. Some folk do just have tires swapped on one set of wheels, I suppose.

Changing wheels isn't a terribly difficult task, even for those of us who can be generously called "clumsy". All you need is a good jack, a breaker bar, a socket wrench, a jacketed socket for protecting your wheels when you remove the bolts, a torque wrench, and some Band Aids.

Last edited by bri1042; 04-17-2021 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 08:56 AM   #3
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
I definitely recommend a separate set of winter wheels & tires as well over just a set of tires that get swapped on.

Mainly because every time tires are replaced I'm worried wheels will get damaged, and they also require going to a shop which could scratch or damage any number of things (I'll never forget watching one hammer off a stuck wheel and watching it land right on the pile of lug nuts, leaving deep dents in the wheel).

Having a separate set and a racing jack and you can swap out sets easily in your driveway in less than an hour.

I'm having trouble finding non-BMW wheels that fit the G8X fitments (I posted about it here, there are some suggestions from posters: https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1816508) but for tires, I would look for and recommend Bridgstone Blizzaks or Pirelli Sottozero's seem popular. I've run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ but not sure what/how their dedicated winter tires are. I would only recommend All Season's as a last resort.
Appreciate 0