BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-23-2021, 06:53 AM   #23
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

I approve.

One day we are going to miss all the overpowered cars in the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep family in the last 10-15 years that nobody ever bought. They're entering the EV era with a middle finger and guns blazing. I love it.

It's so...American.
      04-23-2021, 03:16 PM   #24
vt100
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MC, '12 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
You really think Ford is putting all this R&D into the Bronco and going to let themselves fall short of the Wrangler?

“One of the key things that reduces the flexibility of an independent suspension setup is the stabilizer bar, which links the two front wheels together to reduce body roll. The Bronco has an available electronic disconnect on its front stabilizer bar, allowing way more travel—on an RTI ramp, which measures a 4x4's suspension flex, a Bronco Badlands goes from a score of 560 with the stabilizer bar connected to 700 when disconnected.

Finally, while independent suspension used to mean limited wheel travel, Ford says the Bronco's suspension has 17 percent more travel than the Wrangler. You can also get Bilstein position-sensitive dampers on every trim of the Bronco, which get stiffer toward the top end of their travel. That means more on-road comfort around town with better composure in challenging high-speed terrain. Combined with the inherent advantages of independent front suspension, the new Bronco should easily feel more refined and stable than the Wrangler, especially in the on-road driving where most owners spend the majority of their time.”
They conveniently don't mention which Wrangler they compare it with And I assume it is not Rubicon but most likely a regular Sport. While on Bronco side they use their top of the line config.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 04:39 PM   #25
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt100 View Post
They conveniently don't mention which Wrangler they compare it with And I assume it is not Rubicon but most likely a regular Sport. While on Bronco side they use their top of the line config.
Yeah you’re right. Ford is going to take one of the most highly anticipated auto relaunches since the Camaro and release some half-ass build that won’t even beat their one competitor.

Last edited by BMWBear; 04-23-2021 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 05:26 PM   #26
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

not the 392, but excited as heck to be flying out in the morning to pick up my first Jeep.

figured I'd save $30K and just get the 2.0 Turbo version....Don't plan on drag racing her anyway
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-23-2021, 06:20 PM   #27
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Most people drive it on roads more than offroad so it would only make sense to improve road manners. At least Ford understands this logic.

They should keep a straight axle version which im guessing would only make up a small percentage of sales. It would keep the "hardcore" guys from throwing a tantrum.
But that is the appeal of the Wrangler. If you want something on road oriented, but with good light off road capability, they offer the Grand Cherokee. Two different vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 07:18 PM   #28
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
But that is the appeal of the Wrangler. If you want something on road oriented, but with good light off road capability, they offer the Grand Cherokee. Two different vehicles.
I have a Wrangler and would like something more road friendly to drive around the wife and kids but like the endless possibilities to customise. Something between the Grand Cherokee and the Wrangler. I had a Grand Cherokee and it got boring real quick.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 12:22 AM   #29
vt100
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MC, '12 128i

Quote:
Yeah you’re right. Ford is going to take one of the most highly anticipated auto relaunches since the Camaro and release some half-ass build that won’t even beat their one competitor.
Any architecture has its limitations. IFS is much harder and way more expensive to make suitable for rock crawling. Then reliability will also be worse - check how often folks need to replace axles on IFS They literally carry spare axles all the time with them. And bending lower control arms happens all the time too.
And customization and lifting will be much much harder and more expensive comparing to SA.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 12:33 AM   #30
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

I need one
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 05:40 AM   #31
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt100 View Post
Any architecture has its limitations. IFS is much harder and way more expensive to make suitable for rock crawling. Then reliability will also be worse - check how often folks need to replace axles on IFS They literally carry spare axles all the time with them. And bending lower control arms happens all the time too.
And customization and lifting will be much much harder and more expensive comparing to SA.
Aftermarket parts for the Bronco will be just as available and abundant as the Wrangler over time and pricing will be competitive. Just like anything else the higher quality of parts the less chance of failure. If you’re going rock climbing then you should expect to break something even if you’re a goat.
My needs don’t include rock climbing and I’d say that’s true for 90% of owners if not more. I’d prefer the additional comfort.
Appreciate 0