BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

12-19-2022, 12:07 AM   #111
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXATC View Post
They did, it's called the Macan.

In all seriousness, it is a car-like platform and performs very much like a car when you drive it, with the room akin to a station wagon and Compact Utility Vehicle, or whatever they're called. We test drove one as a loaner and it was a riot to drive. I wouldn't get one over an M3 though.
Yup, it's a slightly lifted hatchback. About as practical as it gets. Honestly, I never get all the people that whine about how they couldn't daily a 911 or a 718. I really get annoyed with the people that can't daily a sedan. I need an SUV because car seats and kids and etc. I'm sorry, people did this for decades in far shittier, less ergonomic sedans and coupes than today's variants. I just don't buy any of it.
Appreciate 1
PHXATC82.00
      12-19-2022, 07:01 AM   #112
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
Yup. I definitely thought of the Macan when I wrote this, and I agree they are great. I got a few as a loaner as well. Still though, I think they would probably be able to sell quite a few sports sedans built on the Macan platform.
I've been wanting a car like this from them as well. Something that would just go right to the top of the contenders with the M3/4, C63/S, Quadrifoglio, CT4VBW, etc. I mean just look at how the Panamera did - in fact a Panamera turbo S completely destroys an M5CS on track (the ones I've seen, VIR, N'ring) despite being 800 lbs heavier with the same HP rating. That being said, you know it would have some premium over the others and likely carry a decent ADM for most.

Last edited by HeelToeShift; 12-19-2022 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2022, 03:31 PM   #113
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Base SSG/Fiona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugly M3 View Post
Yup, it's a slightly lifted hatchback. About as practical as it gets. Honestly, I never get all the people that whine about how they couldn't daily a 911 or a 718. I really get annoyed with the people that can't daily a sedan. I need an SUV because car seats and kids and etc. I'm sorry, people did this for decades in far shittier, less ergonomic sedans and coupes than today's variants. I just don't buy any of it.
What is there not to get about someone not wanting to daily drive a 911 or 718? Seems like there are a lot of valid reasons why someone would choose not to do so.
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3396.00
      12-19-2022, 06:55 PM   #114
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep

Quote:
What is there not to get about someone not wanting to daily drive a 911 or 718? Seems like there are a lot of valid reasons why someone would choose not to do so.
I can certainly understand someone not wanting to daily a 911/718 but comfort is certainly not one IMO. I don't understand why you wouldn't daily an M car.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 06:57 PM   #115
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Base SSG/Fiona

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
I can certainly understand someone not wanting to daily a 911/718 but comfort is certainly not one IMO. I don't understand why you wouldn't daily an M car.
Agree on the comment about an M car, especially a sedan. Great performance combined with comfort and practicality.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2022, 07:03 PM   #116
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep

Quote:
Agree on the comment about an M car, especially a sedan. Great performance combined with comfort and practicality.
I mean that's what they were made for, no? They make some of, if not the best sport sedans. The entire point is to daily them...not treat them like some type of unicorn that they are not.
At the same time, I can't stand Porsche, Ferrari, etc. owners who never drive their cars (i.e. 2018 GT3 Touring with only a few hundred miles). I have a good friend who has almost 30K miles on his GT3 touring, which I applaud. My first 718 GT4 has almost 10K miles when I pre-traded it for my new allocation.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 11:59 PM   #117
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Choosing to do so and whining about how you "can't or couldn't" because it's too low or too rough or too whatever are different things. If you don't want to muck up your expensive car, that's fine. I can understand that even if I consider it a shame. After all, those folks are what lead to well-preserved cars. Sort of like the uber rich being stewards for art/collectibles. However, buying some soul-sucking crossover SUV just for your commute and lugging the kids around because it's too hard to get in and out of something more inspiring is just a lazy excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
I mean that's what they were made for, no? They make some of, if not the best sport sedans. The entire point is to daily them...not treat them like some type of unicorn that they are not.
At the same time, I can't stand Porsche, Ferrari, etc. owners who never drive their cars (i.e. 2018 GT3 Touring with only a few hundred miles). I have a good friend who has almost 30K miles on his GT3 touring, which I applaud. My first 718 GT4 has almost 10K miles when I pre-traded it for my new allocation.
I like your thinking! I've road-tripped all my M cars and it's the best way to experience it. Do I get out at every stop and fret over chips and scratches? Sure do. Nevertheless, I'm still road-tripping them and intend to with the new G80. Couldn't have it any other way.
Appreciate 0