G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

12-26-2021, 07:27 PM   #23
BRAKE!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarmin View Post
Just asking this out of curiosity - we are entering a phase where electric will most likely be the future of all cars. If electric introduced a "gear shift" functionality that could mimic the feeling of actual shifting - and perhaps be programmed to feel like different cars - do you think you'd buy into it? Or too gimmicky?
I would. I would also champion fabricated noise into the car. If I can’t get my hands on ICE in the future, the next best thing would be to replicate the feeling somehow.

In terms of the review above, paddle shifting, I think, is less involving while driving out on the road, but on the track, paddle shifting is much better and more involving as I can drive much faster and with less fear of constantly taking my hand off the wheel to shift
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 07:29 PM   #24
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAKE! View Post
I would. I would also champion fabricated noise into the car. If I can’t get my hands on ICE in the future, the next best thing would be to replicate the feeling somehow.

In terms of the review above, paddle shifting, I think, is less involving while driving out on the road, but on the track, paddle shifting is much better and more involving as I can drive much faster and with less fear of constantly taking my hand off the wheel to shift
You'd want a car that insults your intelligence? The fake engine sound on this car is bad enough but at least you can turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 07:59 PM   #25
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G20 M340i

Garage List
Can you get a RWD Comp w/a manual, or are all Comps auto? I'm thankful BMW, and a few other mfg's, are still making manuals. I wish BMW still offered them on the M-Performance models too though.

AS for an electric with a manual trans & ICE engine sounds... I think I could get behind a manual with an electric drivetrain, I believe there have been a couple of SEMA cars built this way (not BMW's). The fake ICE sounds, I don't see where it could hurt as long as its something you could turn off. Isn't that one of the big complaints of the lack of engine sounds?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 08:23 PM   #26
BRAKE!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightngsvt View Post
Can you get a RWD Comp w/a manual, or are all Comps auto? I'm thankful BMW, and a few other mfg's, are still making manuals. I wish BMW still offered them on the M-Performance models too though.

AS for an electric with a manual trans & ICE engine sounds... I think I could get behind a manual with an electric drivetrain, I believe there have been a couple of SEMA cars built this way (not BMW's). The fake ICE sounds, I don't see where it could hurt as long as its something you could turn off. Isn't that one of the big complaints of the lack of engine sounds?
All comps are auto. Kinda sucks
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 08:47 PM   #27
GoodGuyAvi
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
Hope that the take rate is high enough to remind BMW the demand is there to keep developing/producing them, as cars become less and less engaging.
I ordered this car in manual just to remind them that. And I would pay more for the manual if we need it.
Appreciate 6
________4158.50
evoi191508.50
vampire81434.50
muzzalad268.50
ks74.50
      12-26-2021, 10:06 PM   #28
MTM3
mt4life
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvetNY View Post
I ordered this car in manual just to remind them that. And I would pay more for the manual if we need it.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      12-27-2021, 03:18 AM   #29
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvetNY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
Hope that the take rate is high enough to remind BMW the demand is there to keep developing/producing them, as cars become less and less engaging.
I have to admit that there is a bit of regret that I didn't order a manual. My first cars were all manuals, I've been driving manuals all my life. I think that missing the manual is going to be inevitable. It's a shame that the top trim level M3/4 is an auto, not even a DCT. However, I'm convinced, for the most part, that experiencing the first AWD M3/4 was worth losing the 6MT, simply because

a) I have no realistic direct control in BMW including a 6MT in the Comp X-Drive. I could get a 6MT in protest, but that's not really worth it because…

b) …I only plan on keeping this car for 3 years and I can probably pick up a 6MT LCI once I scratch this itch. Besides…

c) …if were to choose the last 6MT that I will ever get the chance to own, it will probably be a Cayman GTS or GT4.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 06:36 AM   #30
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

My dad taught me how to drive a stick when I was fourteen. Most of my former vehicles were manual until I came to BMW. Although the paddle shifter in Sport+ is fun and quick, it's not just the same.

Love the video. Thanks Mani59 for posting.

Name:  girl bike.gif
Views: 622
Size:  34.8 KB
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2021, 08:14 AM   #31
tna3
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i SP MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post

c) …if were to choose the last 6MT that I will ever get the chance to own, it will probably be a Cayman GTS or GT4.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Cayman's are becoming very very tough to find and to get an allocation for unless you want the 4 cylinder ones. Used GT4's (ones with the more recent 4.0) are going $20 to 30K over MSRP and these cars are expected to be replaced by EV versions for MY 2024. You will likely have an easier time getting an M3/4 6MT but who knows for how long. BMW could pull the carpet from us at any time.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 04:15 PM   #32
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM3 View Post
Why fix what isn’t broken
ICE cars with modern catalytic converters are doing less damage than your neighbors gas lawn mower.
It’s like tree huggers and vegans invented the problem that doesn’t exist.
I doubt that.

It seems that 1h with a gas lawn mower is equivalent to 100 mile trip in a modern ICE car, according to a study from Sweden. My lawn requires between 2-3 30-min cuttings a month in the warm season, so let's say 20 cutting sessions per year, 30 min each. That is the same as 10 x 1h sessions, or 10 x 100 mile car trip equivalents, or 1,000 mile total.

I'm driving about 6k miles per year in my car, plus another 5-6k in the family car, and we are a 4 car family.

So no, not even close.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 05:59 PM   #33
MTM3
mt4life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I doubt that.

It seems that 1h with a gas lawn mower is equivalent to 100 mile trip in a modern ICE car, according to a study from Sweden. My lawn requires between 2-3 30-min cuttings a month in the warm season, so let's say 20 cutting sessions per year, 30 min each. That is the same as 10 x 1h sessions, or 10 x 100 mile car trip equivalents, or 1,000 mile total.

I'm driving about 6k miles per year in my car, plus another 5-6k in the family car, and we are a 4 car family.

So no, not even close.
Lol you must have a high end lawn mower. When we have riding mower next door cutting grass you can’t be outside without suffocating from exhaust. Lol

Btw you almost lost me at Sweden. That’s like the last place I would expect to be impartial towards ICE
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 06:13 PM   #34
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Lol you must have a high end lawn mower. When we have riding mower next door cutting grass you can’t be outside without suffocating from exhaust. Lol

Btw you almost lost me at Sweden. That’s like the last place I would expect to be impartial towards ICE
These Studies are not done on samples of one, so there must have been all sorts of cars and mowers involved. Both the lawn mowers and automobiles in that study were ICE’s, so hated with equal passion.

The point is, cars still pollute far more than lawn mowers. Pick some other category, buses, trucks, ships etc and you may be right.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 10:36 PM   #35
MTM3
mt4life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
These Studies are not done on samples of one, so there must have been all sorts of cars and mowers involved. Both the lawn mowers and automobiles in that study were ICE’s, so hated with equal passion.

The point is, cars still pollute far more than lawn mowers. Pick some other category, buses, trucks, ships etc and you may be right.
Doesn’t matter. As political as this topic is I wouldn’t trust any study especially from a tree hugging country like Sweden.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 07:58 AM   #36
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just asking this out of curiosity - we are entering a phase where electric will most likely be the future of all cars. If electric introduced a "gear shift" functionality that could mimic the feeling of actual shifting - and perhaps be programmed to feel like different cars - do you think you'd buy into it? Or too gimmicky?
Why fix what isn't broken
ICE cars with modern catalytic converters are doing less damage than your neighbors gas lawn mower.
It's like tree huggers and vegans invented the problem that doesn't exist.

To answer your question, no I don't want a fake PlayStation car that pretends to be 6MT ICE
You don't have to transport electricity. The savings in transporting billions of gallons of gas a year is considerable. It encourages more regions to convert to clean energy to maintain the grid as well.

No one is making anything up and they don't need to.
That's not entirely true. Transporting electricity requires very significant investment in the form of billion dollar transmission lines. These lines are very subject to weather in the form of hail, tornadoes (or just high winds), heavy rains, ice storms, heavy snow falls, etc. when these lines do fail, they're very costly to repair and it isn't usually done overnight. It usually takes a few days to a few weeks because a lot of the infrastructure is very remote.

Adding on, an ice storm in northern Canada can affect the power availability in Texas. This is an exaggeration, but you might get the point. A lot of the electricity used by the US, is actually imported from Canada and our hydro electric dams.

Electricity is dirt cheap here and gas is super expensive, but it isn't all roses. There are huge cost factors, there are land claims, there are lots of unintended consequences with electricity.
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5888.50
      12-31-2021, 10:30 AM   #37
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS2015 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

To answer your question, no I don't want a fake PlayStation car that pretends to be 6MT ICE
You don't have to transport electricity. The savings in transporting billions of gallons of gas a year is considerable. It encourages more regions to convert to clean energy to maintain the grid as well.

That's not entirely true. Transporting electricity requires very significant investment in the form of billion dollar transmission lines. These lines are very subject to weather in the form of hail, tornadoes (or just high winds), heavy rains, ice storms, heavy snow falls, etc. when these lines do fail, they're very costly to repair and it isn't usually done overnight. It usually takes a few days to a few weeks because a lot of the infrastructure is very remote.

Adding on, an ice storm in northern Canada can affect the power availability in Texas. This is an exaggeration, but you might get the point. A lot of the electricity used by the US, is actually imported from Canada and our hydro electric dams.

Electricity is dirt cheap here and gas is super expensive, but it isn't all roses. There are huge cost factors, there are land claims, there are lots of unintended consequences with electricity.
Yes but these lines already exist to provide power outside of powering our vehicles. The burning of fuel to transport only fuel would be eradicated. One fuel truck driving and filling up the local gas station is for a set number of uses. A power line provides continuous energy for multiple uses. Also, with residential solar panels becoming more and more the norm, the reliance on grid power is reduced.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 10:44 AM   #38
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Quote:
Yes but these lines already exist to provide power outside of powering our vehicles. The burning of fuel to transport only fuel would be eradicated. One fuel truck driving and filling up the local gas station is for a set number of uses. A power line provides continuous energy for multiple uses. Also, with residential solar panels becoming more and more the norm, the reliance on grid power is reduced.

One thing, solar panels don't work when the sun goes down in the evening.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 01:10 PM   #39
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B View Post
Quote:

One thing, solar panels don't work when the sun goes down in the evening.
And?

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 03:27 PM   #40
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, some lines exist. But the majority of that infrastructure was developed many decades ago and our power consumption is very different now.

Solar works fine in desert areas, but not so well in many other places, plus solar panels are incredibly expensive.

Hydrogen really is the fuel of the future, but the tech isn't quite there yet.
Appreciate 2
Ilyam5888.50
      12-31-2021, 03:40 PM   #41
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, some lines exist. But the majority of that infrastructure was developed many decades ago and our power consumption is very different now.

Solar works fine in desert areas, but not so well in many other places, plus solar panels are incredibly expensive.

Hydrogen really is the fuel of the future, but the tech isn't quite there yet.
Like any new technology there will be a period of adaptation. We can't just say we can't do it because our infrastructure can't take it. We improve on the infrastructure because it in the long run it is advantageous. New technology breeds newer technology. That's how we've evolved for thousands of years.

When the light bulb was invented, Henry Morton doubted we could get electricity to every single home. He called the lightbulb a failure. He was very very wrong. We adapted. We will adapt again.

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 04:08 PM   #42
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
When I lived in LA back in 2007 I briefly worked in the solar panel installation sector.
I had a background in electronics and when the weather prevented us from working outside the owner of the company asked me to work on special projects in the shop.
We developed a solar PV roof for the Toyota Prius, a PV roof for a golf cart and a PV roof for a Toyota SUV.
I spent weeks laying up the individual cells, soldering the connections, completing the circuits, vacuum bagging the Roof layup, taking it to a aerospace facility for autoclave procedure to find that the PV cells had cracked and we had to start again.
For the few successful PV roofs we completed we could add +30miles range to a standard Prius if left parked in the CA sun all day.
Back then it was cutting edge, just makes me realise how far things have come in todays EV market.
Attached Images

G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 02:20 AM   #43
Hephaestus
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B View Post
Excellent video. I have one on order, but it is still stuck in the Order Bank for 4 months since I ordered it, just a bunch of 1's and 0's on a hard drive somewhere in the BMW system. When it does finally get built, it will be Isle of Man Green with the Tartufo brown full leather interior and the 825M bi-color wheels. The Frozen Black on this car makes it look like a rat rod. In general, I hate matte finishes on cars. Cars like the M4 should SHINE! I also hate all black wheels on a lot of cars these cays, including M cars.

Save the manuals!
Good. Hate mine because it’s a frozen black M4 6MT with white interior in order receive. Who cares what idiots on this blog say
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2022, 07:10 AM   #44
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The power grid (at least in Canada) is already under strain and is going to need major infrastructure upgrades to be able to support millions of EV's in addition to current demand. (And that doesn't include the charging network required)

If people want to own one vehicle for both around town and longer trips the most suitable solution right now is a plug in hybrid. Gives you options for recharging, allows you to take proper road trips without worrying about charging network and gets you some pretty great mileage.