BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-03-2022, 10:32 PM   #23
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj2455 View Post
I know I'm in the minority here but I will never fully understand why we Americans love these gaudy offensively large skyscraper on wheels.

I like the handsome rugged looks and proportions, sure, but all these massive SUVs are just overkill IMO.
Driving those huge ass body-on-frame SUVs is strangely enjoyable in its own way. I can’t explain why. Pickup truck owners will understand me.
Appreciate 1
chassis6376.50
      02-03-2022, 10:35 PM   #24
mbnc1
United_States
Rep
Drives: (On Order) 2022 X5 40i M Sport

I love everything about this, except what they are calling the shelf in the trunk. It looks like it will be the most annoying and useless thing put in a car in a while and just seems to me like they just got lazy and didn’t want to design a 3rd row that folded into the floor.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 08:05 AM   #25
houbmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 530i Sport with SMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbnc1 View Post
I love everything about this, except what they are calling the shelf in the trunk. It looks like it will be the most annoying and useless thing put in a car in a while and just seems to me like they just got lazy and didn't want to design a 3rd row that folded into the floor.
It would compete with the Sienna thats why most likely.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 08:18 AM   #26
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i 6MT/RWD/MPPSK/2VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Driving those huge ass body-on-frame SUVs is strangely enjoyable in its own way. I can’t explain why. Pickup truck owners will understand me.
You can also imagine the grotesque feelings I have whenever I see an overcompenstating lifted pick up bro

My parents' workhorse is the loaded Sienna they purchased new 18 years ago. It currently only has 83,xxx miles on it so I suspect I will die before it does. But I learnt to the drive in that thing and it has helped me through numerous life moves throughout university & my 20s. You're right, there is an intangible enjoyable experience to a degree of driving in a higher school bus position lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 10:12 AM   #27
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Completely agreed. I had a 17 Tundra and actually miss it (sold due to crazy market and gas getting more expensive). It was just nice to know that nothing would unfaze that thing, and that all it needs is oil and fuel (lots of it).

Just like my BMW's, I don't really care about what other people think of my cars or that I'm compensating. I drive them because I like them.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7833.00
      02-04-2022, 10:30 AM   #28
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj2455 View Post
I know I'm in the minority here but I will never fully understand why we Americans love these gaudy offensively large skyscraper on wheels.

I like the handsome rugged looks and proportions, sure, but all these massive SUVs are just overkill IMO.
Because many Americans have become convinced they need a vehicle capable of towing a 30' foot enclosed trailer to go to Lowe's a few times per year. Or having two children.

Of course the raised seating position is nice, but it wouldn't be needed if everyone wasn't driving these huge vehicles and pull out into the intersection so no one can see around them.

That said, we are considering the '22 Crew Cab Pro-4X as the ladies next vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 08:08 PM   #29
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
I get it. I drove a pickup as a daily driver for 20 years, also a couple body-on-frame SUVs were in the fleet over the years. Total removal from the road and balanced ride is part of it for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 11:44 AM   #30
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Because many Americans have become convinced they need a vehicle capable of towing a 30' foot enclosed trailer to go to Lowe's a few times per year. Or having two children.

Of course the raised seating position is nice, but it wouldn't be needed if everyone wasn't driving these huge vehicles and pull out into the intersection so no one can see around them.

That said, we are considering the '22 Crew Cab Pro-4X as the ladies next vehicle.
Some of us do need to tow large trailers and unfortunately if you do I have found nothing replaces sheer mass. I had never owned a truck or even an SUV until I bought an F150 to tow our 27’ at the time travel trailer. It did well and I really fell in love with the F150. For me I could see having one even without the trailer. It was very nice inside (platinum model) had a great ride and tons of space for everyone. PLUS you had the bed for when you did need to make a HD run or what not.

However we decided to sell that trailer and get a 32’ one that on paper was not much heavier than the old one. The F150 did not like that at all. No matter what we tried, what special hitch we used that shit was all over the road. That’s when big bertha came in. Traded the F150 for an F350… I did the whole deal online. Only saw the truck when I went to pick it up. That’s when I realized it was a long bed. This shit is fucking MASSIVE! That being said it doesn’t give a fuck about the trailer. It will pull that trailer upside down if it has to. So I would happily deal with it’s obnoxiously large size for the great towing since that’s the main reason we have it.

That being said if/when we sell the trailer I would definitely go back to an F150. I really see the appeal, but that’s as big as I would want to go. The F350 is too much if not towing. Not as nice of a ride either and just overall more of a pita.

My main issue with Toyotas is most have these horrible dated interiors. I think this one looks pretty good. I like the outside also.
Appreciate 1
W///7435.50
      02-05-2022, 12:19 PM   #31
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M Sport Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
- two speed t/case and optional rear locker
- 9k lb towing capacity
- semi aniline leather option
- real walnut trim

Dislikes:
- hybrid is the only powertrain option, looking for the ICE only version

Observation:
- wide range of options and models with no mention of content restrictions due to chip supply. Has Toyota solved the situation for themselves?
Toyota was the one who saw the least effect of chip shortage. However, they did reduce builds on other models and sent majority of their chips to toyota, san antonio to build the new Tundra and Sequoia. I know because I work at the Toyota plant and build the new Tundra and Sequoia as well as the Tacoma before it was moved from our plant. Chip shortage has not been in an issue for the new Tundra and Sequoia for a while now. Toyota also planned ahead of most other manufactures and was not affected as much as the others. I can tell you the chip shortage is not affecting the new Tundra and Sequoia models.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 07:36 PM   #32
Chris H.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 AW / SO - 6MT

Looks great. I'm waiting for the next gen 4runner.
      02-06-2022, 10:17 PM   #33
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

A comment on manufacturer’s putting the name/brand on their cars.

When I bought a 2005 Mustang GT I thought it was great that there was nowhere on the car exterior with the word “Mustang”. However, it looked identical to a classic Mustang from the 1969/1970 timeframe, so anybody who admired classic Mustangs immediately knew what it was. In fact, it only had the “Ford” lettering on the wheel center caps and in small letters around the GT logo on the trunk. That told me they had confidence in the styling and branding.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 09:50 AM   #34
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbovan View Post
Toyota was the one who saw the least effect of chip shortage. However, they did reduce builds on other models and sent majority of their chips to toyota, san antonio to build the new Tundra and Sequoia. I know because I work at the Toyota plant and build the new Tundra and Sequoia as well as the Tacoma before it was moved from our plant. Chip shortage has not been in an issue for the new Tundra and Sequoia for a while now. Toyota also planned ahead of most other manufactures and was not affected as much as the others. I can tell you the chip shortage is not affecting the new Tundra and Sequoia models.
That might be the case, but for some reason, the lots still look quite empty at my 2 dealerships. When I swung by the closest one to me last week, they had 2 new Tundras, and 1 last gen on the lot. I think the might have had 2 Tacos hiding somewhere. The rest of the lot was still empty.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 11:03 AM   #35
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Some of us do need to tow large trailers and unfortunately if you do I have found nothing replaces sheer mass. I had never owned a truck or even an SUV until I bought an F150 to tow our 27’ at the time travel trailer. It did well and I really fell in love with the F150. For me I could see having one even without the trailer. It was very nice inside (platinum model) had a great ride and tons of space for everyone. PLUS you had the bed for when you did need to make a HD run or what not.

However we decided to sell that trailer and get a 32’ one that on paper was not much heavier than the old one. The F150 did not like that at all. No matter what we tried, what special hitch we used that shit was all over the road. That’s when big bertha came in. Traded the F150 for an F350… I did the whole deal online. Only saw the truck when I went to pick it up. That’s when I realized it was a long bed. This shit is fucking MASSIVE! That being said it doesn’t give a fuck about the trailer. It will pull that trailer upside down if it has to. So I would happily deal with it’s obnoxiously large size for the great towing since that’s the main reason we have it.

That being said if/when we sell the trailer I would definitely go back to an F150. I really see the appeal, but that’s as big as I would want to go. The F350 is too much if not towing. Not as nice of a ride either and just overall more of a pita.

My main issue with Toyotas is most have these horrible dated interiors. I think this one looks pretty good. I like the outside also.
I didn't say no one needs that capability, I said most don't.

I thought that was obvious from my post, my apologies.
Appreciate 0