home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-20-2024, 01:52 AM   #1
jamabdi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW G80 M3 xDrive

Is 700+whp Possible on Pump 93?

I'm pretty set on sending out my ECU, installing downpipes, and getting a tune sometime later this year. From what I've seen online, most pump 93 tunes with downpipes yield around 600-660 whp. The highest I've seen is from Evolve Automotive, which achieved 670 whp with Eventuri intakes. Those are some really impressive results, and it's made me wonder how much more whp can be gained with Mosselman or Pure hybrid turbos installed. I've seen people gain an additional 60-80 whp on pump fuel tunes when upgrading to hybrid turbos on the F8X platform. I'm really interested to see if anyone here has upgraded to hybrid turbos on their G8X and updated their pump fuel tune to take advantage of them. It would be incredible to have a 700+ whp, consistent high 9 second 1/4 mile daily driver on just pump fuel.

Also, before anyone suggests "Just go with an ethanol mix" or "If you want those numbers, do an ethanol mix," etc., that's eventually part of my plan. Right now, I'm specifically interested in seeing if anyone here has installed hybrid turbos and tuned them on pump fuel, and what numbers they achieved as a result.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 06:20 AM   #2
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

The problem is that you have zero wiggle room for a fill-up that is even slightly off. If you still go that route, run VP Octanium octane booster on every tank as insurance.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 08:36 AM   #3
jamabdi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
The problem is that you have zero wiggle room for a fill-up that is even slightly off. If you still go that route, run VP Octanium octane booster on every tank as insurance.

You bring up a fair concern. It's obviously safer to push for big power using ethanol, hence why everyone goes straight to an ethanol blend when aiming for this sort of number.

My line of thinking was that if a stage 2 tune from a reputable tuner, designed with adequate safety margins to account for fuel quality, etc., achieves around 650 whp, then upgrading to hybrid turbos should make reaching 700 whp feasible without compromising on the safety margins of the stage 2 tune on a stock turbo setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 09:44 AM   #4
ZheroG80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Comp XDRIVE

You could add meth injection for octane and cooling if you're staying on just 93. Safety on fuel limits would be my big concern if only running 93.

Like weather man said VP octanium would be in my tank at all times as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 09:44 AM   #5
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamabdi View Post
You bring up a fair concern. It's obviously safer to push for big power using ethanol, hence why everyone goes straight to an ethanol blend when aiming for this sort of number.

My line of thinking was that if a stage 2 tune from a reputable tuner, designed with adequate safety margins to account for fuel quality, etc., achieves around 650 whp, then upgrading to hybrid turbos should make reaching 700 whp feasible without compromising on the safety margins of the stage 2 tune on a stock turbo setup.
HP = cylinder pressure = knock.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 10:22 AM   #6
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

For stock turbos your options are Meth, Racegas, e85. Not a huge fan of octane boosters as they have killed my plugs in the past.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 10:59 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

If people are making 660 with stock turbos, you can easily get over 700 with the upgraded turbos.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0