home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-14-2024, 09:54 AM   #1
jublydan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

Mid-pipe exhaust recommendation

I know there are TONS of threads on here talking about exhaust setups, but I was curious if anyone had a recommendation given my specific goals.

I want to make my exhaust a little bit louder, but nothing obnoxious. I prefer the low growl to a higher-frequency sound. This is also my daily driver, so the most important thing is to have little to no drone. I've read that in combination with a valve controller, you can also close the valves to kill the drone if needed. But ideally, I'd love setup that didn't require that.

From what I've read, I'm leaning toward the MAD single midpipe. That comes with the option to be with or without a resonator... thoughts on that?

Am I correct that the single mid-pipe is the best setup for what my goals are? It seems like I saw something that said x-pipes are going to be MUCH louder than stock and that is not what I'm after.

I'm also leaning toward the SST valve controller. I like the multiple modes they have. 100% open, 75% open, 50% open and stock mode, where they still modulate depending on throttle input.

It's hard watching videos online to tell the difference in volume. My goal is to get a little more volume, without adding drone or a high-frequency sound.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 10:05 AM   #2
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Try to find some g80 owners in your area, video's really don't tell you the whole story.
Sst doesn't have 75% open, only 0%/50%/100%/oem.
Appreciate 1
Chi5824.00
      03-14-2024, 10:13 AM   #3
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
If you only swap the midpipe, with everything comfort/closed, the car is as silent as it is stock. It's only when you go into Sport+/open the valves do you get the louder sound.

If you don't fully open the valves, it's just a louder version of stock. If you open the valves 100% with the SST, it'll be even louder but it will also drone slightly at highway speeds.

Removing *any* resonators will drone at highway speeds with the valves 100% open, but that's the beauty of the valve controller. Back to OEM and drone is gone.

IMO the single midpipe + SST is absolutely peak for sound and flexibility when it comes to no drone but louder setups.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 10:31 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

The single midpipe offers the cleanest sound, with a deep midrange and a rasp-free tone. it's a perfect daily driver choice.

if you plan on upgrading the downpipes, I recommend the resonated downpipes version for the cleanest sound.

the valve controller is a must in my opinion.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 10:37 AM   #5
jublydan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
That's right! Reading is hard!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 10:41 AM   #6
jublydan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Try to find some g80 owners in your area, video's really don't tell you the whole story.
I wish this was an option, I'm in Memphis TN, and have not seen any activity on here from G80 owners in the area.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 10:46 AM   #7
jublydan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
The single midpipe offers the cleanest sound, with a deep midrange and a rasp-free tone. it's a perfect daily driver choice.

if you plan on upgrading the downpipes, I recommend the resonated downpipes version for the cleanest sound.

the valve controller is a must in my opinion.
Given what my goal is... What are your thoughts between the resonated and non-resonated MAD single midpipe?

Also, do you have any special pricing for Bimmerpost users? If not no worries, figured it can't hurt to ask!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 10:49 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jublydan View Post
Given what my goal is... What are your thoughts between the resonated and non-resonated MAD single midpipe?

Also, do you have any special pricing for Bimmerpost users? If not no worries, figured it can't hurt to ask!
Neither option will be obnoxious compared to an X-pipe, but I prefer the resonated if the downpipes are upgraded.

We do offer special pricing on MAD; note both versions are currently out of stock.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 11:02 AM   #9
jublydan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Neither option will be obnoxious compared to an X-pipe, but I prefer the resonated if the downpipes are upgraded.

We do offer special pricing on MAD; note both versions are currently out of stock.
Thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 11:04 AM   #10
jublydan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

One more question! What is the benefit of also swapping the downpipes?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 12:29 PM   #11
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Based on your initial post I would try the midpipe alone first. More than likely it will be plenty loud without the use of a valve controller however it is always nice to have that has a backup in case you do change your mind down the road.

The main advantage of a downpipe is POWER however without a tune you are not likely to take advantage of the increase flow rate. Most people without tunes are using them for increased sound and throttle response with the ultimate goal of tuning down the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 12:34 PM   #12
OGOverkill
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS

I currently have the AA catted DPs and have yet to install the AWRON valve controller. Was considering the Remus secondary cat delete or the Akrapovik ti resonated mid pipe
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 12:42 PM   #13
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
A huge downside is warranty and emissions issues. These are where your primary cats are connected to the turbos, they can have BMW easily deny engine warranty claims enough that people just don't want to deal with it.

All of these can also be done in steps, midpipe is the easiest, no-warranty-issue way to get louder sound while still keeping it tame and not obnoxious. If you still feel you want more sound after that, downpipes and axleback can be swapped very easily after that, but none of these changes are irreversible.

BMW might have an issue if they flag your car with swapped downpipes later down the road. If warranty isn't a concern then just do whatever you want.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2024, 01:23 PM   #14
Jax327
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition Xdrive

Garage List
I would definitely get the SST controller. I currently have the MAD non-res midpipe and if I were to do it over again I would get the resonated version. I still may swap them down the road here.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2024, 03:33 PM   #15
jublydan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax327 View Post
I would definitely get the SST controller. I currently have the MAD non-res midpipe and if I were to do it over again I would get the resonated version. I still may swap them down the road here.
Thanks for the feedback. The difference in price between the resonated and non-resonated version is pretty much the price of the SST controller. Seems like a no-brainer to me!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 03:36 PM   #16
jublydan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
Based on your initial post I would try the midpipe alone first. More than likely it will be plenty loud without the use of a valve controller however it is always nice to have that has a backup in case you do change your mind down the road.

The main advantage of a downpipe is POWER however without a tune you are not likely to take advantage of the increase flow rate. Most people without tunes are using them for increased sound and throttle response with the ultimate goal of tuning down the road.
Based on feedback from you and others on this thread, I'm going to go stick with my plan of doing the MAD non-resonated midpipe and SST controller. Thank you for providing me some peace of mind, this is my first foray into sports cars and any modifications.
Appreciate 3
      03-14-2024, 03:47 PM   #17
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Based on feedback from you and others on this thread, I'm going to go stick with my plan of doing the MAD non-resonated midpipe and SST controller. Thank you for providing me some peace of mind, this is my first foray into sports cars and any modifications.
You definitely won't be disappointed. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 07:09 PM   #18
thopwood4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 2024 G80 M3

Garage List
2024 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I’m installing a Dinan mid-pipe and axle back with a valve controller. With the valve controller I assume it’s no biggy to go fully open in efficient mode, but what about having the valves closed in Sport+? Only asking for track days purposes, as a few of the tracks near me have sound limits. So if I wanted sport+ mode but valves closed for sound Will that have any negative effect on the motor? Like an increase in back pressure or anything like that?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 10:01 PM   #19
Jax327
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thopwood4 View Post
I’m installing a Dinan mid-pipe and axle back with a valve controller. With the valve controller I assume it’s no biggy to go fully open in efficient mode, but what about having the valves closed in Sport+? Only asking for track days purposes, as a few of the tracks near me have sound limits. So if I wanted sport+ mode but valves closed for sound Will that have any negative effect on the motor? Like an increase in back pressure or anything like that?
If you get the SST controller and set it in stock mode, the valves will open only at certain rpms and should be much quieter.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 07:38 AM   #20
gunmike1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp Xdrive

I recently did the non-resonated MAD midpipe and SST valve controller, and am very happy with it. At first with the valves open on the freeway it had a little drone, but once I turned off ASD in BimmerCode it is great. If you want it quieter then put it in OEM or closed mode, and it is far quieter.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 09:54 AM   #21
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

Quote:
Actually, that's what they said, but that 50% is like 90%. I really cannot tell that big of a difference at all.
      03-15-2024, 10:00 AM   #22
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Appreciate 0