Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-30-2021, 05:08 PM   #23
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

jonahk

As an aside, one of the cool things about PDK is you could activate the downshift in automatic mode in two different ways.

One as we are discussing with the G80C (pulling left paddle back and a brief hold will go to the lowest gear possible).

The second was via an actual 'kick down,' whereby rapid throttle application AND release will do the exact same thing as pulling the left paddle back.

I have never tested this 'kick down' in automatic mode with DCT (F87C) or ZF8 (G80C). Does it do the same thing as with PDK?

///AVM

Edit: So, I just went out and tried the 'kick down.' Indeed, like PDK and I assume DCT, it does downshift to the lowest gear. HOWEVER, the transmission remains in automatic mode and almost as soon as you apply throttle after the kick down, it shifts back up one gear no matter how aggressive I was with the throttle. If not aggressive with throttle, it quickly returns back to where I started before the kick down.

Anyway, lots of cool options with these modern PDK/DCT/ZF8 transmissions . . . something for everyone.

Last edited by ///AVM; 06-30-2021 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 06:13 PM   #24
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
jonahk

As an aside, one of the cool things about PDK is you could activate the downshift in automatic mode in two different ways.

One as we are discussing with the G80C (pulling left paddle back and a brief hold will go to the lowest gear possible).

The second was via an actual 'kick down,' whereby rapid throttle application AND release will do the exact same thing as pulling the left paddle back.

I have never tested this 'kick down' in automatic mode with DCT (F87C) or ZF8 (G80C). Does it do the same thing as with PDK?

///AVM
There was no kick down in manual mode on the F87 DCT that I recall. You could push the pedal through the carpet and it wouldn't change gears.

The kick down in auto was painfully slow. It was almost like it shifted gears, built boost, and THEN engaged the clutch. One feature I don't miss as you stated earlier the ZF downshifts instantly.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 06:19 PM   #25
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post
There was no kick down in manual mode on the F87 DCT that I recall.
There was not, but I was referring to kick down in automatic mode.

I know what you are talking about with the term 'kick down' and I think the terminology gets confusing when we mix a 'pull and hold' with the paddle versus a rapid up and down with the throttle. Both produce a gear 'kick down'. . . maybe we should rename the paddle approach to a 'pull down.'

Our last posts must have passed each other in cyberspace . . . I made an edit to my prior post with regard to kick down in G80C automatic mode.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 03:20 PM   #26
BlackSunShine
Private
Rep
Drives: G82

This may be an old thread, but it's a good one. Too bad ///AVM is banned, sounds like dude knows his shit...
Appreciate 0