Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-08-2022, 11:46 AM   #45
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbanga View Post
I think I have a X pipe. My local shop installed it for content. Likely going to not keep this one & rock with a midpipe.

I feel like it's way too early to lock in $5k-$6k on a set up for this platform when there's new systems being released every few months.

Plus they're all going to sound very similar to another being on stock downpipes. Just my opinion.
Yeah my local shop hooked me with the first run but I chose it and its a keeper for many reasons.

I tied open the valves and its an even better experience during slow rolls as I had posted earlier. I have reasonable expectations here as I know what this engine can really truly deliver vs what some may wish it can. I have an R8 with Quicksilver to destroy ears in that regard and create an even more sonorous experience. Even my Porsche GTS with Soul Performance sounds arguably better than the modded inline 6 here but not by much.

The S63tu is a much easier/cheaper engine to mod and get reasonable results as well... my M8:

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 09:23 AM   #46
vkolarov
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Hi Vic, the exhaust looks really awesome and sounds great Maybe the best one I've heard so far.

I'm looking into buying some aftermarket system and currently (from all the research I've done so far) TFL and only 1 or 2 more manufacturers offer an "OPF-compatible" exhausts, with probes for the OPF sensors in their mid pipes (I'm based in the EU).

At the moment, from all I can see and hear thanks to your pictures and videos I'm definitely leaning towards the TFL cat-back exhaust

I saw that you have the non-resonated mid pipe (only with H-pipe). Can you please tell me how do you find the sound while cruising on the highway with the valves closed? Is there any rasp or drone?
The M3 (that I'm currently waiting to be delivered ) will be my main/daily car and I'm heavily concerned about drone. That's why I'm also leaning towards the resonated mid-pipe. Nevertheless, your thoughts on the matter will be greatly appreciated
      05-03-2022, 10:25 AM   #47
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkolarov View Post
Hi Vic, the exhaust looks really awesome and sounds great Maybe the best one I've heard so far.

I'm looking into buying some aftermarket system and currently (from all the research I've done so far) TFL and only 1 or 2 more manufacturers offer an "OPF-compatible" exhausts, with probes for the OPF sensors in their mid pipes (I'm based in the EU).

At the moment, from all I can see and hear thanks to your pictures and videos I'm definitely leaning towards the TFL cat-back exhaust

I saw that you have the non-resonated mid pipe (only with H-pipe). Can you please tell me how do you find the sound while cruising on the highway with the valves closed? Is there any rasp or drone?
The M3 (that I'm currently waiting to be delivered ) will be my main/daily car and I'm heavily concerned about drone. That's why I'm also leaning towards the resonated mid-pipe. Nevertheless, your thoughts on the matter will be greatly appreciated
So I always post answers like this with a grain of salt because "drone" is highly subjective. What is drone for one is exhaust noise for another. My valves are tied open fully all the time so my opine is based with this factor in mind. Expressway cruising at 75mph in a lower rpm gear is very docile and calm even with the full exhaust and valves tied. I do hear exhaust but its not an annoying tone in the least and I actually want this noise. Its only when I really get on the car that it livens up like you saw in the YT videos. I think you will enjoy the exhaust in its most relaxed driving modes and then will love it when you rip those rpms to 7k plus!!! Im not sure how the OPF setup would be but it cant be any worse with the EU restrictions.

Outside of that I continue to enjoy this car that much more because of the TFL setup. Obviously the aural pleasure is there but the removal of that ugly rear can was much needed to boot.

Last edited by Vic55; 05-03-2022 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 2
LuckyBrand1426.50
vkolarov106.50
      05-03-2022, 11:21 AM   #48
vkolarov
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
So I always post answers like this with a grain of salt because "drone" is highly subjective. What is drone for one is exhaust noise for another. My valves are tied open fully all the time so my opine is based with this factor in mind. Expressway cruising at 75mph in a lower rpm gear is very docile and calm even with the full exhaust and valves tied. I do hear exhaust but its not an annoying tone in the least and I actually want this noise. Its only when I really get on the car that it livens up like you saw in the YT videos. I think you will enjoy the exhaust in its most relaxed driving modes and then will love it when you rip those rpms to 7k plus!!! Its only when I really get on the car that it livens up like you saw in the YT videos. Im not sure how the OPF setup would be but it cant be any worse with the EU restrictions.

Outside of that I continue to enjoy this car that much more because of the TFL setup. Obviously the aural pleasure is there but the removal of that ugly rear can was much needed to boot.

Thanks for the detailed answer. I know that everyone is different and drone can be subjective but I think that's everything I wanted to hear
I don't have a problem with the exhaust sound actually being a little louder as long as there is no (or very little to no) drone while cruising.
Now I just need to actually get the car and this will be one of the first mods I do for sure

I will also most probably get the resonated mid-pipe version and I will make sure to post back once I have it so anyone who is interested in that one, can hear it as well.

And yes, the removal of the stock "suitcase" from underneath the back of the car is definitely almost as good of an improvement as the one in the sound department

P.S: One final question - is the sound in the YT videos you've posted with the stock downpipes (only with the TFL cat-back system changed)?
Vic5519649.50
      05-03-2022, 11:38 AM   #49
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
One final question - is the sound in the YT videos you've posted with the stock downpipes (only with the TFL cat-back system changed)?
Yes I have OEM (stock) downpipes.
Appreciate 1
vkolarov106.50
      05-04-2022, 07:34 AM   #50
ifizik
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Have you tried a cold start w/ valves closed? Curious as to how loud it is under those conditions.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 09:08 AM   #51
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifizik View Post
Have you tried a cold start w/ valves closed? Curious as to how loud it is under those conditions.
I did when I first had the exhaust installed (pre permanent tie open) and its pretty muted and close to OEM... as much free flowing piping as there is with the TFL; a closed valve holds back sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 10:32 AM   #52
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

Quote:
You'll find that pretty much any of the exhausts to choose from that with the valves closed it's pretty tame on start up.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 10:50 AM   #53
BMWM4CX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBrand View Post
Quote:
You'll find that pretty much any of the exhausts to choose from that with the valves closed it's pretty tame on start up.
Does the car automatically start with valves closed in Comfort engine mode? (Still waiting for the car to arrive, hence I can't check myself lol).
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 10:53 AM   #54
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM4CX View Post
Does the car automatically start with valves closed in Comfort engine mode? (Still waiting for the car to arrive, hence I can't check myself lol).
I think its automatically closed when started.
Appreciate 1
BMWM4CX281.50
      05-04-2022, 12:10 PM   #55
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M ARMY View Post
There is way to start with it open:

Enter car
Make sure power is on but NOT engine
Press your M1 or M2 button or whatever setting it is to create the open exhaust valves (exhaust button and Sport Plus)
Then start the car and voila its a louder cold start

This will enable the car be in open valve.

My car starts like this whether I do the process or not since my valves are tied open.

Normal start without the above is comfort and closed valves.
Appreciate 2
BMWM4CX281.50
vkolarov106.50
      05-04-2022, 12:12 PM   #56
BMWM4CX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4C

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M ARMY View Post
There is way to start with it open:

Enter car
Make sure power is on but NOT engine
Press your M1 or M2 button or whatever setting it is to create the open exhaust valves (exhaust button and Sport Plus)
Then start the car and voila its a louder cold start

This will enable the car be in open valve.

My car starts like this whether I do the process or not since my valves are tied open.

Normal start without the above is comfort and closed valves.
Thank you Vic 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 08:52 PM   #57
M2 CCO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [8.75]
@Vic55 Any other videos of the TFL exhaust handy? I've watched the the others too many times trying to make my mind up!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 08:55 PM   #58
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 CCO View Post
@Vic55 Any other videos of the TFL exhaust handy? I've watched the the others too many times trying to make my mind up!
Sadly I dont have any --- let me ask the retailer.
Appreciate 1
M2 CCO1101.50
      05-05-2022, 06:10 AM   #59
ifizik
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBrand View Post
Good to know. I live in a townhouse so my neighbors will have to deal with me starting my car in the early AM's for work. I'm sure they hated my last vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 05:20 PM   #60
Sonic M4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Frozen Black Metallic

How different is the sound in your opinion from this and your old moded OEM?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 05:50 PM   #61
retroviol3t
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Jahre - Techno Violet

I have this same exhaust setup as Vic on my G80. I have yet to snatch any videos but Vic describes the exhaust perfectly. When I am cruising its pretty docile but when I get on it she screams and everyone looks my way. The tone/note from the exhaust at WOT with valves open makes me smile every time and I've been driving the car a lot more since getting the exhaust. Just sheer pleasure to drive and listen to.

Downshifts are a thing of beauty. The burble and pop with this setup is amazing. I've had so many compliments and so many stop at red lights just to ask me what I have done to the car to make it sound this way.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 06:17 PM   #62
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic M4 View Post
How different is the sound in your opinion from this and your old moded OEM?
Frozen pretty much covered it but to add since you asked about my modded OEM:

This is louder by about 30% under load
This carries better tones down low and up top
This is still very docile under cruising rpms whether it be in the city or or the highway.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2022, 09:47 AM   #63
GoldfishTX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX, X5 50e

Quote:

I will also most probably get the resonated mid-pipe version and I will make sure to post back once I have it so anyone who is interested in that one, can hear it as well.
Did you ever end up getting this? I love the look of this exhaust and I'm curious if the resonated version has slightly less rasp.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 07:12 AM   #64
vkolarov
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishTX View Post
Did you ever end up getting this? I love the look of this exhaust and I'm curious if the resonated version has slightly less rasp.
I'm still waiting for my car to get here.
Supposedly it should be just around the corner (it will be in the dealership this or next week at the latest)

The TFL exhaust is definitely on my buy list once I get the car.
I have even already contacted the guys from Italy for quotes on the price, lead times, etc.

As soon as I get the car and install the exhaust in the near future, I will make sure to get back with some feedback
      10-04-2022, 06:39 PM   #65
blackops23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp

Garage List
2023 M3 Jahre  [10.00]
2019 X3M40i  [9.67]
Quote:
It sounds just fine to me--- (has the H pipe) and even the cold start chills out. What I get during lower rpms with the valves tied is a nice low end grunt/growl with some mini coast burbles that are not annoying.

Remember that cold start is at a stand still and not in gear so the engine is way different than in low gear and low rpm cruise ranges.
Awesome sound! Any idea if AA single mid pipe would work with the TFL axle back? I don’t have my car yet but bought the mid pipe awhile back and am wanting to pair it with something and this would be perfect I think.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 07:14 PM   #66
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackops23 View Post
Awesome sound! Any idea if AA single mid pipe would work with the TFL axle back? I don’t have my car yet but bought the mid pipe awhile back and am wanting to pair it with something and this would be perfect I think.
Sorry I cant confirm here ...
Appreciate 1