BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

11-29-2023, 07:30 PM   #23
Houlester
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I kinda started at the top. Turbo S, GT3, then lastly GT4. Now I’m more excited then any of them waiting for my alpine white m3 manual. Probably because I’m approaching 50. I’m old now and ease of entry and exit sound nice. Out of the Porsches the GT4 manual was the most fun. Simplicity at its best.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2023, 03:12 PM   #24
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

I've inquired about the BMW to Porsche in a few places and the consensus seems to be that they went to Porsche and never looked back.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1361...rom-a-bmw.html
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 01:10 PM   #25
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Not sure how relevant this is. But i came from a GT4. Not really by choice as the GT4 ended up being a lemon and so Porsche bought it back. Didnt want to buy used because i'd just be annoyed it wasnt mine, and i dont have the money for an RS or a GT3...yet.

Porsche...is just on a different level in terms of driving experience. If you want a pure drivers car, look no further. The amount of mechanical engineering in these cars is just on another level, and you really understand what you're paying for once you get in. Before the GT4, i always kinda assumed that most cars kinda drove similar. Yeah sure some had more grip than others, but the difference between my S2000 and my F87C was really just more power in the M2. It didnt FEEL like it was that significantly better. The GT4, put every single car i'd ever owned to shame. The grip, the way it puts the power down, the handling in the corners, the confidence it gives you at high speeds on the track, the nimbleness it has on an autocross course.

Now i love my G82CX. It's a great car. And it's much comfier than the GT4. Like A LOT comfier. It has more creature comforts like heated seats (i had the buckets in the Porsche), wireless CarPlay and AA, multi climate controls and a whole bunch of other stuff. It handles great and is faster than the GT4. But...god, nothing compares to a GT Porsche imho. I plan on being in a GT3 one day and a lot of people say it's another step up from the GT4 which just blows my mind.

If you can get a GT3, get it. Or a GT4RS.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 05:18 AM   #26
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
If you can get a GT3, get it. Or a GT4RS.
Agreed. I just got my 992 Carrera T and the next car is either one of the 2 above. My friend gets his 4RS next month and I’ll see what that’s all about. Currently on the list for both cars - GT3 would be a touring (but I wouldn’t turn either down) but just to get on the list as a regular guy I had to spend $260k with the Porsche dealer in a year and tell him I would sell back my T at the time of purchase of the GT car. You are right, there is no comparison, GT cars are truly special.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 10:58 AM   #27
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schn3ll View Post
Agreed. I just got my 992 Carrera T and the next car is either one of the 2 above. My friend gets his 4RS next month and I’ll see what that’s all about. Currently on the list for both cars - GT3 would be a touring (but I wouldn’t turn either down) but just to get on the list as a regular guy I had to spend $260k with the Porsche dealer in a year and tell him I would sell back my T at the time of purchase of the GT car. You are right, there is no comparison, GT cars are truly special.
not going to lie, just the other day i was looking at used 991.2 prices and a part of me kinda thinks i shoulda went that route instead of buying a new M4. Woulda been cheaper and i'd still be in a Porsche.

But then i went for a drive in the M4 and i'm actually glad i went with something new and i'm happy i['m getting to experience the G platform. It's a lot better than i expected. But i definetly feel the draw of Porsche again.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 02:42 PM   #28
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerHellcat View Post
Hello guys,

I’m just curious if anyone of you may have jumped from M3 to GT3 or any jump to a Porsche. If you did make the jump, what are your thoughts on the driving dynamics and the quality of Porsche. I’ve been trying to acquire a Z06 and for the price and the markups, it just not worth it to me personally. The GT3 naturally has pop up. I recently put down deposit for it knowing it will take a year potentially. Although I was called the next day was asked If i was interested in a GT4RS due to a customer backing out so who knows..The Turbo S is also something I’m considering due to no markup.
Update?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 11:32 AM   #29
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
I'll offer a counter-Porsche point here to continue the discussion.

Porsche is very good at what they target, the uncompromised sports car. I think BMW is even better at what they target, an all-around sporty sedan/coupe. Porsche targets a very narrow spectrum of buyers with their GT cars, whereas BMW builds a sporty car that caters to a much wider audience, at a much lower price, and still keeps up with Porsche's GTs. For me, that's real engineering and manufacturing.

Many people who have driven front-engine cars majority of their lives, jump into a mid- or rear-engine car with very small suspension travel and think that's how a car should drive. Such a car certainly provides for different sensations, feelings, and dynamics; however, it is not any better necessarily.

Who in their right mind, would drive a GT4RS, a GT3, or GT3RS like you can drive an M3/4? If you have multiple cars, and a Porsche GT is your 3rd or 4th vehicle for the specific purpose of performance driving somewhere, sure! I am in for that, but I would still take a BMW M car over that scenario twice on Sunday.

If you take the aero out of the equation, particularly with the 992 versions of the GT3, the Porsche GTs do not handle any better than the BMW M3/4. And I do not think this is just an opinion, but lap times would back this up. If you compare a 997 GT3 and GT3RS, their lap times are about the same at the 'Ring compared to M counterparts. Those GT3s still had some aero, but nothing significant below 120 mph. The F82 M4 GTS practically ran the same lap time as the famous 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0. A 2021 G82 Cx ran practically the same time as the 2018 GT4 and 2016 991.1 GT3. If the GT cars were truly on a different playing field than the BMW Ms, how would those lap times be achieved? Considering that the G82 Cx can clock those lap times and drive four adults with full luggage and take you to your office in comfort in any weather condition at a lower price point should tell you which of the cars are better engineered.

On the other hand, the best part of the Porsche GT3 has been, since 2003, nearly all chassis settings are adjustable; camber, toe, caster, ride height, traction control, differential, etc. For enthusiasts who want an uncompromised track car that is tough to beat. That's been the weakest point of the BMW M cars IMO, but BMW is closing the gap a bit still without compromising all other qualities.

All this said, my point is that the price one pays for getting an uncompromised sports car from Porsche is quite steep, not to mention the actual price paid at the dealer. And, I do believe BMW M makes better cars than Porsche GTs.

If you never tasted a Porsche, go for it, but one should not automatically think they are better.
      12-23-2023, 03:00 PM   #30
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
We’re keeping our M3 Comp Touring and swapping out our ‘23 Macan GTS for a ‘24 911 T manual in May 24 (we loved the macan so much we decided to go all in on Porsche). I wanted a manual and the lighter weight T hit the mark. I’m after a road car not a track one and the T hits the mark for me over the GT3. I also also wanted something slightly lower key than the big wing hanging out the back.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0