08-14-2023, 08:04 PM   #1
RhodeIslandG82X
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4CX

Garage List
Front Mounted Intake Question

Hey everyone,

So I am looking into intakes for sound and just less restriction on the motor. I am ideally looking for the front grill mounted ones.

The problem i'm noticing is that there isn't any engine bay access for the filters when they are mounted in the front, nor is there enough room to slide them through the grill. So that leaves me with the assumption that you would have to take off the entire front grill area/bumper to access the filters.

Also, I'm curious about the water aspect of it, if it rains or snows, any complications with getting water into the intake.

Someone fill me in on their experience with front mounted intakes with the G82/G80.

Thank you,
RhodeIslandG82X
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 10:38 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodeIslandG82X View Post

The problem i'm noticing is that there isn't any engine bay access for the filters when they are mounted in the front, nor is there enough room to slide them through the grill. So that leaves me with the assumption that you would have to take off the entire front grill area/bumper to access the filters.

Also, I'm curious about the water aspect of it, if it rains or snows, any complications with getting water into the intake.

Someone fill me in on their experience with front mounted intakes with the G82/G80.

Thank you,
RhodeIslandG82X
I have the MAD front mount intake on my car, been using it for over 1 year, no issues with rain.

You can change the filters without removing the front bumper but its a tight spot.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 11:24 AM   #3
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodeIslandG82X View Post
Hey everyone,

So I am looking into intakes for sound and just less restriction on the motor. I am ideally looking for the front grill mounted ones.

Thank you,
RhodeIslandG82X

If you change out your grills to some of the more open sets its alot more possible to replace your filters or at least clean them.

When it comes to rain and water there is 0 issue unless the water level itself covers the filters. If the water level is that high you will probably be screwed with stock intakes as well.

You can always purchase a filter sock which slides on and off. These can help keep larger debris off the filter media keeping them cleaner and dryer.

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 08-15-2023 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 09:30 AM   #4
fpgg80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
If you change out your grills to some of the more open sets its alot more possible to replace your filters or at least clean them.

When it comes to rain and water there is 0 issue unless the water level itself covers the filters. If the water level is that high you will probably be screwed with stock intakes as well.

You can always purchase a filter sock which slides on and off. These can help keep larger debris off the filter media keeping them cleaner and dryer.

is it possible to change the filters through the csl grill? seems like too much work to have to take bumper off to clean or replace filter every time.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 11:04 AM   #5
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpgg80 View Post
is it possible to change the filters through the csl grill? seems like too much work to have to take bumper off to clean or replace filter every time.
I don't believe so unless the grill can come off without bumper removal. Our filter is about 5 inches in width.

I would suggest a K&n filter bag and just slip it off through the grill. This will keep your filter cleaner and wont allow small debris to accumulate on the pleats.
Appreciate 0