BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-06-2021, 11:06 AM   #23
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

I would guess you're SOL, and by your own admission this is clearly not a mfg defect. I bet most people would think user error/abuse first, but that isn't covered either. Might be prudent to delete the thread tbh, you're a quick googling away from revealing your 600 horses
GixY2K516.00
      12-06-2021, 01:14 PM   #24
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Watching this too! I need more power, base 6mt just seems slow, and subsequently a new clutch.
      12-06-2021, 01:34 PM   #25
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
The point to my rambling is that with the piggyback tunes, you're not actually "reflashing" the computer of the car, you're overriding it. Since you're not reflashing it, it won't leave any imprints in the system. A reflash tune where you unlock the ECU like a BM3 tune or EcuTek, will leave an imprint.

As long as you disconnect it properly you should be fine. .
Please don't spread misinformation. They can absolutely see it all over the system, fuel trims for example.

If you tune or use a piggyback, more power to you, but let's not pretend there is a magical invisible device to make BMW pay for what we break when adding power to the car
Appreciate 7
ROBERT11831569.00
GixY2K516.00
Gfit2707.00
Geo_FF140.00
RugbyBro7600.50
chenry2355.50
      12-06-2021, 02:31 PM   #26
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Please don't spread misinformation. They can absolutely see it all over the system, fuel trims for example.

If you tune or use a piggyback, more power to you, but let's not pretend there is a magical invisible device to make BMW pay for what we break when adding power to the car
Not all systems are equal. If it's a JB4 system they level the fuel trims and wastegate trims and monitor CANbus to keep other checks within a plausible range.

Still asking dealer to buy a new clutch from running more power is very sketchy. Makes us all look bad. Save the warranty claims for things that are not due to running more power.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 02:41 PM   #27
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinzzze View Post
It's my biggest concern to tune my car. Piggyback flashes are recorded in the system and I'm curious to see how BMW will respond to this. Subscribed to the thread
What do you mean by piggyback flashes?

I thought it was either a piggyback (jb4) or a reflash (bm3). Is JB4 doing a reflash now or are piggyback tunes leaving a recording in the system now!?
Quote:
Quote:
The point to my rambling is that with the piggyback tunes, you're not actually "reflashing" the computer of the car, you're overriding it. Since you're not reflashing it, it won't leave any imprints in the system. A reflash tune where you unlock the ECU like a BM3 tune or EcuTek, will leave an imprint.

I'm not spreading misinformation, you should read the thread and check my previous post before replying. I asked if piggyback tunes leave imprints in the system because of my previous knowledge I heard it didn't. I guess it does from 2017 up… can you clarify since you know everything? Don't wanna spread misinformation lol
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 02:43 PM   #28
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
@6speed_M2 Did a bit more search into this topic and found this post on Audi/VW forum. https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=280858.0
Looks like the system scan does tell a piggyback now by logging the controller type since 2017. Can't imagine BMW not having it at this point.

My friend literally brought his car in for a tire swap (race chip disconnected) last month and the dealer told him the system scan flagged his car and dealer couldn't do anything about it.
Can you clarify? We don't want misinformation but you seem to miss other responses that aren't mine
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 02:53 PM   #29
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Also, just double checked with my source. They CAN check fuel trims IF they want to. It's not common. Maybe for a blown motor?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 02:59 PM   #30
RogerM_vrt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 bmw m4, 2021 bmw 228i

Well I guess I just over heated the clutch using mdm mode because today on my way home it didn’t slip at all, brake boosting 60 roll on map 5 I did 4 back to back pulls, the clutch grabs the same and always no lift shifting, I still want to find a upgraded clutch setup, I plan on building a single turbo setup with a borg Warner s369sxe with a 91 ar exhaust housing and shoot for 1000whp, that is once the tuning support becomes highly available here in Florida
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 03:02 PM   #31
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Also, just double checked with my source. They CAN check fuel trims IF they want to. It's not common. Maybe for a blown motor?
Sorry, I am not getting notifications as I usually do

I read the whole thread. They can check fuel, and I believe torque levels are stored in the TCU as well. They aren't going to check for an oil change, but you come in with a blown clutch at low miles and someone's going to look.

I'm sure BMW has the JB4, racechip etc and knows what they change and how it can be tracked
Appreciate 1
6speed_M23632.50
      12-06-2021, 03:10 PM   #32
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, I am not getting notifications as I usually do

I read the whole thread. They can check fuel, and I believe torque levels are stored in the TCU as well. They aren't going to check for an oil change, but you come in with a blown clutch at low miles and someone's going to look.

I'm sure BMW has the JB4, racechip etc and knows what they change and how it can be tracked
The reason I brought that up is because I know with reflashes, the second they connect the car to the computer it pops up (oil change for example). Whether it's on or off.

With a JB4, if it's off the car it won't pop up for the basic services unless they dig deeper into the fuel trims and so on.

Is my analysis of this correct? I just want to double check.

I also agree with a clutch example. I think anything north of $700-900 will give them a reason to check out what's going on. It raises suspicion.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 03:13 PM   #33
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM_vrt View Post
Well I guess I just over heated the clutch using mdm mode because today on my way home it didn't slip at all, brake boosting 60 roll on map 5 I did 4 back to back pulls, the clutch grabs the same and always no lift shifting, I still want to find a upgraded clutch setup, I plan on building a single turbo setup with a borg Warner s369sxe with a 91 ar exhaust housing and shoot for 1000whp, that is once the tuning support becomes highly available here in Florida
Were you launching at all or doing first gear pulls before? It only slipped in MDM? Maybe it's struggling with the traction systems on?

If the twin turbos could achieve the same power levels when upgraded would you still consider the single turbo swap?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 03:55 PM   #34
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I also agree with a clutch example. I think anything north of $700-900 will give them a reason to check out what's going on. It raises suspicion.
No one posting here is going to know for sure lol. Information you read on forums is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Appreciate 1
6speed_M23632.50
      12-06-2021, 04:36 PM   #35
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachDinanFan View Post
Quote:

No one posting here is going to know for sure lol. Information you read on forums is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Well to be frank I do know but I wanted to see if anyone would say otherwise. Maybe they can add to my knowledge or I can add to theirs.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 04:37 PM   #36
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
The reason I brought that up is because I know with reflashes, the second they connect the car to the computer it pops up (oil change for example). Whether it's on or off.

With a JB4, if it's off the car it won't pop up for the basic services unless they dig deeper into the fuel trims and so on.

I don't know if piggy detection has reached the point of the flash tune detection, where as you say, any oil change or whatever and bam!
It would not be hard for them to query the TCU or whatever to get the info they're looking for if they wanted to. When BMWNA has people literally looking at the forums to void warranties... it's not a good place to be.
Appreciate 1
6speed_M23632.50
      12-06-2021, 06:30 PM   #37
RogerM_vrt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 bmw m4, 2021 bmw 228i

Quote:
Were you launching at all or doing first gear pulls before? It only slipped in MDM? Maybe it's struggling with the traction systems on?

If the twin turbos could achieve the same power levels when upgraded would you still consider the single turbo swap?
Was starting at 40mph about 5 pulls and one launch after the launch I drove it on to the freeway and drove for probably 10 minutes then went for a highway pull and it started slipping

And reason for wanting a single turbo is I could achieve same power levels with much lower boost than 2 smaller turbos(upgraded) less heat generated and to be honest I can’t justify spending over 5k for hybrid turbos when I could fabricate my own single turbo setup and have money left over for pi and it’s controller
Appreciate 1
6speed_M23632.50
      12-06-2021, 06:59 PM   #38
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well to be frank I do know but I wanted to see if anyone would say otherwise. Maybe they can add to my knowledge or I can add to theirs.
Literally every thread here is some guys claiming all systems can be detected and other people claiming other things can't be detected. Everyone has their own agenda. Most importantly anyone posting about mods and making illegal warranty claims on a pubic forum needs to get their head checked.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 07:03 PM   #39
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachDinanFan View Post
Quote:
Literally every thread here is some guys claiming all systems can be detected and other people claiming other things can't be detected. Everyone has their own agenda. Most importantly anyone posting about mods and making illegal warranty claims on a pubic forum needs to get their head checked.
I don't see the need to comment on such topics if they don't concern you, but hey, you got your two minutes of attention from a random person on the planet.

Maybe take your own advice. It seems warranted
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:04 PM   #40
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I havent seen anything aftermarket for it. I would contact Clutch Masters, SPEC, ACT. They may already have something in the works. They have F80-82 clutches. If youre looking for something to handle the most power, and still be streetable, I would look at something twin disk.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:36 PM   #41
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's my biggest concern to tune my car. Piggyback flashes are recorded in the system and I'm curious to see how BMW will respond to this. Subscribed to the thread

I thought it was either a piggyback (jb4) or a reflash (bm3). Is JB4 doing a reflash now or are piggyback tunes leaving a recording in the system now!?
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not spreading misinformation, you should read the thread and check my previous post before replying. I asked if piggyback tunes leave imprints in the system because of my previous knowledge I heard it didn't. I guess it does from 2017 up… can you clarify since you know everything? Don't wanna spread misinformation lol
Way before 2017 my friend
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:39 PM   #42
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM_vrt View Post
Well I guess I just over heated the clutch using mdm mode because today on my way home it didn't slip at all, brake boosting 60 roll on map 5 I did 4 back to back pulls, the clutch grabs the same and always no lift shifting, I still want to find a upgraded clutch setup, I plan on building a single turbo setup with a borg Warner s369sxe with a 91 ar exhaust housing and shoot for 1000whp, that is once the tuning support becomes highly available here in Florida
Uggggg. On RWD? Should have gone AWD. To each his own. Good luck bud
Appreciate 1
GixY2K516.00
      12-06-2021, 08:47 PM   #43
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I checked with a close source who is reliable. All of my information was correct. Piggy back tune does not leave imprints on the car but fuel trims and other miscellaneous points of data (if observed that closely) will be the same. I wouldn't worry about that unless it's a major fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:51 PM   #44
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I checked with a close source who is reliable. All of my information was correct. Piggy back tune does not leave imprints on the car but fuel trims and other miscellaneous points of data (if observed that closely) will be the same. I wouldn't worry about that unless it's a major fix.
I saw all the info on my 2015 M4 when I spun the hub. I didn't even want them to have the warranty dude come in and deny. It was tuned. They new it, I told them to just fix it but they wouldn't touch it till the Their guy came to look. So if that's not first hand knowledge, I don't know what to tell you.
Appreciate 0