Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Mishimoto did some testing. Due to the new tuning strategy in the G8X, aftermarket intakes will NOT gain horsepower without tuning changes as power is fixed to the stock tuning.

See starting at 4:25 in this video:
Mishimoto should redesign their intake. Kies Motorsports installed the MST intakes and gained 12HP without a tune.

Dyno for before and after is at 10:47.

You don't drive with the hood open, do you? Run the same dyno test with hood closed for 15min so engine bay temp can rise to normal temp under the hood on a 90 degree track day to see what happens. Also, need a large fan that can move air to match the speed of the dyno being run is the only way to truly test intakes. So if the dyno pulls to 100mph, fan speed need to match forcing air through the intake ducts.

Arma and OEM + track tested brands enclosed the filter for a reason. They take advantage of the ram air effect of the ducts designed by BMW M and closed off the filter to shield it from engine bay heat. Also, CF don't conduct or hold heat like metal or aluminum pipes (heat soak). Factory uses plastic to save weight and reduce heat soak conditions for the intake. CF would be better, but cost prohibitive.

The only plus side of open pods is the sound. I'm a fan of open intake even if I know it will costs me a few HP on track days. But usually I just run BMC filter with OEM box, you can't really beat M's engineering. Arma seems well designed to match OEM's engineering and looks good for cars and coffee. Might sound better than OEM due to CF and not as tightly sealed as OEM.

Also, people need not to be confused with China made parts vs Taiwanese. If you visit Taiwanese plants before, you will understand the culture is very aligned with Japanese work ethic and precision. They don't cut corners and values reliably over cost.
      11-27-2021, 11:02 AM   #24
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
You don't drive with the hood open, do you? Run the same dyno test with hood closed for 15min so engine bay temp can rise to normal temp under the hood on a 90 degree track day to see what happens. Also, need a large fan that can move air to match the speed of the dyno being run is the only way to truly test intakes. So if the dyno pulls to 100mph, fan speed need to match forcing air through the intake ducts.

Arma and OEM + track tested brands enclosed the filter for a reason. They take advantage of the ram air effect of the ducts designed by BMW M and closed off the filter to shield it from engine bay heat. Also, CF don't conduct or hold heat like metal or aluminum pipes (heat soak). Factory uses plastic to save weight and reduce heat soak conditions for the intake. CF would be better, but cost prohibitive.

The only plus side of open pods is the sound. I'm a fan of open intake even if I know it will costs me a few HP on track days. But usually I just run BMC filter with OEM box, you can't really beat M's engineering. Arma seems well designed to match OEM's engineering and looks good for cars and coffee. Might sound better than OEM due to CF and not as tightly sealed as OEM.

Also, people need not to be confused with China made parts vs Taiwanese. If you visit Taiwanese plants before, you will understand the culture is very aligned with Japanese work ethic and precision. They don't cut corners and values reliably over cost.
Thanks for the lesson but you're missing the point in my reply. Someone said an intake will not gain HP without a tune and I responded that's not true since the MST and BMS intakes surely add power. There are dyno results to prove that.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 02:17 AM   #25
ARMASPEED
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

ARMASPEED X'mas Sale 🎄 10% OFF Now🎄

🎄 X'mas Sale 🎄 Save On All Your Favorite Carbon Fiber Intake System Now!

https://www.armaspeed.com/

Name:  armaspeed christmas sale.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  831.9 KB

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 11:22 PM   #26
ARMASPEED
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kQA9DOtpYQ

Appreciate 0