Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-06-2021, 10:52 PM   #1
BushwoodCC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Just installed Racechip on G80 M3 Comp XD

Took me about an hour and a half to do the whole thing. Everything was super easy except for clip A - that one was nasty. I had to have one of my son's friends with small hands install clip A for me. Using very sharp pick or tweezers to wedge at the connector interface to remove it was a key turning point. After that it was very smooth sailing, super easy, takes 10 minutes or less to do the rest.

Thoughts on the results:
This feels like a different car now. It went from being a beast to Godzilla. The increase in power is quite noticeable, more intense throwing you in the back of your seat, and the increase in power seems to go on forever throughout the RPM range. In park, when revving the engine, it feels like the engine wants to twist/torque out of frame because it is so powerful. I felt the back end spin out for the first time in this car just making a right turn at an intersection. The sounds the exhaust makes is different too, very noticeable by my sons and all his friends. Louder and more "burbly" with some pops peppered in once in a while, especially when downshifting. The car seems to stay in lower gear for longer, just daring you to touch the gas pedal, and when you do, you are rewarded with what seems like unlimited power.

All that, and still, when you hit comfort mode, you instantly cage the beast and no one would be the wiser. I just got a dragy also, so looking forward to collecting some data. I will mention though that the bluetooth connection was not working. I will have to sort through that with customer service, but you can still manually change the map using the buttons on the device. I've been running it on 7 all day with no problems. And when in comfort mode, even at a 7, it is completely well mannered.

Last edited by BushwoodCC; 11-06-2021 at 11:16 PM..
Appreciate 4
chicagofan0019063.50
RockinPA4848.00
Kaiz3n0.00
rz9990.00
      11-06-2021, 10:57 PM   #2
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '22 Mexico Blue G80 xDrive, '2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skim_atx View Post
Took me about an hour and a half to do the whole thing. Everything was super easy except for clip A, and that one was nasty. I had to have one of my son's friends with small hands install clip A for me. Using very sharp pick or tweezers to wedge at the connector interface to remove it was a key turning point. After that it was very smooth sailing, super easy, takes 10 minutes or less to do the rest.

Thoughts on the results:
This feels like a different car now. It went from being a beast to Godzilla. The increase in power is quite noticeable, more intense throwing you in the back of your seat, and the increase in power seems to go on forever throughout the RPM range. In park, when revving the engine, it feels like the engine wants to twist/torque out of frame because it is so powerful. I felt the back end spin out for the first time in this car just making a right turn at an intersection. The sounds the exhaust makes is different too, very noticeable by my sons and all his friends. Louder and more "burbly" with some pops peppered in once in a while, especially when downshifting. The car seems to stay in lower gear for longer, just daring your to touch touch the gas pedal, and when you do, you are rewarded with what seems like unlimited power.

All that, and still, when you hit comfort mode, you instantly cage the beast and no one would be the wiser. I just got a dragy also, so looking forward to collecting some data. I will mention though that the bluetooth connection was not working. I will have to sort through that with customer service, but you can still manually change the map using the buttons on the device. I've been running it on 7 all day with no problems. And when in comfort mode, even at a 7, it is completely well mannered.

Awesome! I look forward to hearing more about your experience with it. I have considered it for my xdrive G80 when it arrives (although I may not due to warranty)…
Keep us all posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 11:08 PM   #3
BushwoodCC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinPA View Post
Awesome! I look forward to hearing more about your experience with it. I have considered it for my xdrive G80 when it arrives (although I may not due to warranty)…
Keep us all posted.
YOLO!
Appreciate 1
RockinPA4848.00
      11-07-2021, 08:51 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nice!! Im running Racechip and agree with everything you said.

I don't feel the Bluetooth is worth it as it takes seconds to change the map manually if needed.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 12:09 PM   #5
Soylent
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post

I don't feel the Bluetooth is worth it as it takes seconds to change the map manually if needed.
I think it's worth it. Someone pulls up next to you you're not going to say "wait a second while I pop the hood"
Appreciate 3
      11-07-2021, 02:41 PM   #6
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Does this solution log anything? How does one know if the motor is happy running this? Not being a smart ass... But are you guys just hoping not to get a CEL and assume all is fine because the butt dyno feels more power?
      11-07-2021, 07:47 PM   #7
BushwoodCC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent View Post
I think it's worth it. Someone pulls up next to you you're not going to say "wait a second while I pop the hood"
Yes, but so far, I am thinking that I will just leave it on the 7 map. I don't think that I will be changing it too often. However, I did pay for the option, so I do want to get it on my system. I've emailed support and waiting to hear back...they are in Germany and it is the weekend, lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 07:49 PM   #8
BushwoodCC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Does this solution log anything? How does one know if the motor is happy running this? Not being a smart ass... But are you guys just hoping not to get a CEL and assume all is fine because the butt dyno feels more power?
No CEL thus far...but only on day 2...will let you know, but so far, SO GOOOOD!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 08:41 PM   #9
Soylent
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwoodCC View Post
Yes, but so far, I am thinking that I will just leave it on the 7 map. I don't think that I will be changing it too often. However, I did pay for the option, so I do want to get it on my system. I've emailed support and waiting to hear back...they are in Germany and it is the weekend, lol.
I would leave it on map6. IIRC a few forum members had issues with map 7.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 09:50 PM   #10
NKGK20
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M , G80 on

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
No CEL thus far...but only on day 2...will let you know, but so far, SO GOOOOD!
I had the racechip on my 21 x3mc for almost a year, no CEL..
Appreciate 1
BIGW0RM3129.00
      11-07-2021, 10:21 PM   #11
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Don't know why but I can't stop laughing at that. "No problem bro. Pour me a cup of tea while you're at, would you?"
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 08:41 AM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I tried map 5 and map 7 for a week each... Map 7 has more power but I had traction issues. so I kept map 5, that's the map I use for daily driving and spirited driving.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 09:41 AM   #13
Soylent
Major
Rep

Quote:
I tried map 5 and map 7 for a week each... Map 7 has more power but I had traction issues. so I kept map 5, that's the map I use for daily driving and spirited driving.
What about map 6?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 12:16 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What about map 6?
I'll be running it this week

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 08:50 AM   #15
BushwoodCC
Private
United_States
Rep

One of the main benefits that I am loving about the RC is change in sound of the car. As we all know, one of the main complaints on the G80s is how quiet it is. I'm not the type that wants an obnoxiously loud exhaust, but I was thinking about doing a $3K-$5K exahaust system just to get a little more sound out of the car. Now with the RC, I might not need it! IMO, the sound might be just right now. In SPORT+, it feels like someone turned up the volume ~30%, and now I am noticing pops more frequently. Not the loud gunshot level pops, but the quiet muffled kind, perfect for me. Noticeable from inside and outside the car. Just sounds like it should have from the start!

Also, got my bluetooth connection working. I had to delete all my bluetooth connections, reinstall the app, and start fresh. I can control it from my iphone now, which is nice. Now I have to reconnect my long list of bluetooth connection, ugh.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 10:08 AM   #16
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
One of the main benefits that I am loving about the RC is change in sound of the car. As we all know, one of the main complaints on the G80s is how quiet it is. I'm not the type that wants an obnoxiously loud exhaust, but I was thinking about doing a $3K-$5K exahaust system just to get a little more sound out of the car. Now with the RC, I might not need it! IMO, the sound might be just right now. In SPORT+, it feels like someone turned up the volume ~30%, and now I am noticing pops more frequently. Not the loud gunshot level pops, but the quiet muffled kind, perfect for me. Noticeable from inside and outside the car. Just sounds like it should have from the start!

Also, got my bluetooth connection working. I had to delete all my bluetooth connections, reinstall the app, and start fresh. I can control it from my iphone now, which is nice. Now I have to reconnect my long list of bluetooth connection, ugh.

Ive been running RC since my F90, F93, and 2 G80's- all map 7 and all with perfect gains for me. What does this mean? This means its a simple bang for the buck for those who want to plug, play, and walk away vs getting into advanced mapping, boost, and fuel along with hardware.

But your sound "feel" increase is just that as RC does not have access to internal speaker sound or hardware adjustments. What its probably doing is creating a more aggressive driving experience for you which makes your foot heavier and rpms come up quicker. The G8X sounds much better as the RPM's go up and thus the sound is more prevalent due to aggressive driving. The RC definitely creates a more "fun" experience in safe conditions.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 2
JTO245271.50
Kaiz3n0.00
      11-09-2021, 04:40 PM   #17
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Quote:

Ive been running RC since my F90, F93, and 2 G80's- all map 7 and all with perfect gains for me. What does this mean? This means its a simple bang for the buck for those who want to plug, play, and walk away vs getting into advanced mapping, boost, and fuel along with hardware.

But your sound "feel" increase is just that as RC does not have access to internal speaker sound or hardware adjustments. What its probably doing is creating a more aggressive driving experience for you which makes your foot heavier and rpms come up quicker. The G8X sounds much better as the RPM's go up and thus the sound is more prevalent due to aggressive driving. The RC definitely creates a more "fun" experience in safe conditions.
Hey Vic, someone else asked in this thread or another. Is there any log info you are seeing running this chip? If you were having knock, would something let you know.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 04:57 PM   #18
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Hey Vic, someone else asked in this thread or another. Is there any log info you are seeing running this chip? If you were having knock, would something let you know.
not possible because there is no OBD connection.
Appreciate 1
DFW_M1669.50
      11-09-2021, 05:43 PM   #19
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
Quote:
not possible because there is no OBD connection.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 08:41 AM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's unfortunately one of the disadvantages of the Race Chip

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 06:34 AM   #21
Molina330
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2021

Quote:
Quote:
That's unfortunately one of the disadvantages of the Race Chip
Do you lose your warranty? I didn't understand the responses to this question. Will they know you ram high boost and high torque.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 09:18 AM   #22
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molina330 View Post
Do you lose your warranty? I didn't understand the responses to this question. Will they know you ram high boost and high torque.
lol
reNT265.50