2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrspeed636 View Post
I ordered a set from Carbotech

XP20 compound for front
and
XP10 for rear

They are MAKING them, pre-bedding in their oven and I will have them next week ~$650 delivered. Cant wait to try them, had an excellent conversation with them, asked about the car, what tires, what track and then he made the suggestion.

I will report back after I run them.
This is the way to go. XP20 has awesome stopping power. I'd love to hear the feedback for on-track wear.

Not sure why they like recommending the lower torque pad on the rear since XP20 front and rear should be fine. My track car has XP20 front and PFC11 rear and it's very well balanced even on street tires.
      12-03-2021, 11:10 AM   #68
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
I ordered a set from Carbotech

XP20 compound for front
and
XP10 for rear

They are MAKING them, pre-bedding in their oven and I will have them next week ~$650 delivered. Cant wait to try them, had an excellent conversation with them, asked about the car, what tires, what track and then he made the suggestion.

I will report back after I run them.
Awesome how long will they take you to get. What did they say about street use?
      12-03-2021, 02:32 PM   #69
Mrspeed636
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340GT, G80 Comp AWD - SOON!

He said I will have them next week. During my conversation I asked if they were safe to drive to the track, he said no problem but he wouldn't recommend tailgating anyone until they are warm.

Side note, I may not be able to return my Blue Stuff Front pads, apparently Perfect Brakes policy is 7 days. If that is the case, would anyone want them? I paid $336.30, just looking to recoup that, I will cover shipping cost in the US.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 01:36 PM   #70
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
He said I will have them next week. During my conversation I asked if they were safe to drive to the track, he said no problem but he wouldn't recommend tailgating anyone until they are warm.
They'll wear out your rotors quicker when cold but perfectly usable. I wouldn't worry about it.
      12-08-2021, 01:03 PM   #71
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep

So am I reading this correct? Pagid has track pads out?

https://www.pagidracing.com/en/produ...hape-8275.html

https://www.pagidracing.com/en/produ...hape-8276.html
      07-22-2022, 01:17 PM   #72
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Not outrageous at all, this is an amazing hybrid (street/track) pad. Wear also depends on the track. I got 3 track days with 4 mm remaining in 100 degree temperatures with plenty of hard braking zones (biggest of ~130 to 50 MPH).

What was actually outrageous is that on previous generations, the pads would not only fade on track but leave plenty of deposits on the rotors to make them undrivable until a more abrasive track pad cleaned it up.

I don't know why the smaller rear pad is twice the price of the bigger front pad but I think over time, they should even out in price. I'm hoping in a couple of years, the rear pad will be available for less than $200.
A rookie question I know, but at what MM are the rears supposed to be changed? Front as well?

Last edited by PDOT; 07-22-2022 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 02:10 PM   #73
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDOT View Post
A rookie question I know, but at what MM are the rears supposed to be changed? Front as well?
Ideally, the pad material remaining should be thicker than the backing plate. For street driven cars, at 4 mm remaining, plan to replace soon. At 3 mm and below, schedule the replacement as soon as possible.

When the pad material left is thinner than the backing plate, the pad material can burn off quickly with spirited driving and you risk scraping your rotors which easily more than doubles the cost of replacing the pads alone.
      07-22-2022, 02:55 PM   #74
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ideally, the pad material remaining should be thicker than the backing plate. For street driven cars, at 4 mm remaining, plan to replace soon. At 3 mm and below, schedule the replacement as soon as possible.

When the pad material left is thinner than the backing plate, the pad material can burn off quickly with spirited driving and you risk scraping your rotors which easily more than doubles the cost of replacing the pads alone.
If my pads all have about the same 1:1 ratio, do you think I have another track day in them?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 03:30 PM   #75
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
If my pads all have about the same 1:1 ratio, do you think I have another track day in them?
You're risking burning off all the pad material and damaging your rotors. The other issue is heat transfer to the pistons in the caliper, but you're likely to run out of pad material first.

I would replace those so you don't have to keep such a close eye on the pads and potentially leave early.

I picked up a stock, used set of pads from the FS forum to have as a backup. They're a very good backup at <$200 for both axles.
      07-22-2022, 03:46 PM   #76
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You're risking burning off all the pad material and damaging your rotors. The other issue is heat transfer to the pistons in the caliper, but you're likely to run out of pad material first.

I would replace those so you don't have to keep such a close eye on the pads and potentially leave early.

I picked up a stock, used set of pads from the FS forum to have as a backup. They're a very good backup at <$200 for both axles.
I ordered some Bluestuff, but still waiting for delivery so wanted to know if I could squeeze a day out of these. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 10:15 PM   #77
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I ordered some Bluestuff, but still waiting for delivery so wanted to know if I could squeeze a day out of these. Thanks
$200 shipped for what looks like gently used stock pads - https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1931899

I would put these on before the track day and no worry about pad wear.
      07-22-2022, 11:42 PM   #78
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

Quote:
If these are indeed stock pads (BMW OEM) then the fronts should be good for one more track day with no worries. However you should check them over very closely, both inside and outside after the day. I would venture to say that they would be good only for daily driving after that for a brief period. If a second track day is attempted there is a very good chance of burning them down to the backing plates, and scoring your rotors.

As for the rears which show about 5mm remaining. They wear much faster than the fronts, and speaking from experience you should watch these very closely after every session. In my world they would not last for a full day, but your experience may vary. Either way you are asking a lot from these particular pads.
      07-23-2022, 08:47 AM   #79
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
Quote:
If these are indeed stock pads (BMW OEM) then the fronts should be good for one more track day with no worries. However you should check them over very closely, both inside and outside after the day. I would venture to say that they would be good only for daily driving after that for a brief period. If a second track day is attempted there is a very good chance of burning them down to the backing plates, and scoring your rotors.

As for the rears which show about 5mm remaining. They wear much faster than the fronts, and speaking from experience you should watch these very closely after every session. In my world they would not last for a full day, but your experience may vary. Either way you are asking a lot from these particular pads.
The rears are measuring 6mm. I have some blues on the way but seems like they won't come in time. I have a F90 so have to see if someone is selling a used set I could maybe get sooner.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 09:22 AM   #80
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

For 9 months I used BMW OEM pads on track. They were the only thing available at that time. The fronts held up fine for a street pad, and I eventually got 9 track days out of them. These cars however have a heavy rear brake bias, and due to this and the small size of the rear pads I was unable to get more than a single track day from the rear pads. Several times I had to leave early, and once I failed to pay close enough attention, melted all of the pad material, and ground the backing plates into the rotors.

My point is that if you are going to use these pads on a track you need to pay very close attention to them regardless of the thickness of the material. Brand new (12mm) can go to 0 very rapidly, and 6mm can vanish frighteningly fast.

Ultimately you need to switch to more robust pads. Thankfully there are now alternatives available. Do your homework, and no matter what you chose watch them like a hawk.
      08-12-2022, 09:59 PM   #81
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl1by View Post
I have run 5 days of 140 - 160 miles per day of "spirited driving" and a total of 9700 miles on the original set of pads. I am pretty close to the wear sensors on the rear and will be getting a new set when the 10000 mile service is done.

Looking at "Blue Stuff", but the OEM seem like a really good all-around pad.
Track driving creates very high brake temps that cause the street pads to melt, and smear on the rotors, causing much lower friction coefficients. stock brake compounds are made to have high "cold bite".

You cannot generate this kind of heat outside of a track environment unless your doing full throttle to 130 then panic braking to 50 over and over again for 30 mins straight. Thats the kind of abuse the track does to the car, coupled with turning at the limit of grip on tires.

Conversely track pads are very very hard, and cold will wear very quickly when on the street due to their design to have high friction at very high temps of +600f. These type of pads will also grind your rotors down with repeated street use cold.

Blue stuff is a hybrid that has good high temp track grip and cold street grip. Not as good in the street as stock, and very dirty. Its also wearing my front rotors a bit. But they grab really well when hot after bedding in and burning off the solvents.
So I did Fade 1 and 2 bedding so far. The end of fade 2 the brake fade was REAL BAD. Is this common?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 10:01 PM   #82
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have run 5 days of 140 - 160 miles per day of "spirited driving" and a total of 9700 miles on the original set of pads. I am pretty close to the wear sensors on the rear and will be getting a new set when the 10000 mile service is done.

Track driving creates very high brake temps that cause the street pads to melt, and smear on the rotors, causing much lower friction coefficients. stock brake compounds are made to have high "cold bite".

You cannot generate this kind of heat outside of a track environment unless your doing full throttle to 130 then panic braking to 50 over and over again for 30 mins straight. Thats the kind of abuse the track does to the car, coupled with turning at the limit of grip on tires.

Conversely track pads are very very hard, and cold will wear very quickly when on the street due to their design to have high friction at very high temps of +600f. These type of pads will also grind your rotors down with repeated street use cold.

Blue stuff is a hybrid that has good high temp track grip and cold street grip. Not as good in the street as stock, and very dirty. Its also wearing my front rotors a bit. But they grab really well when hot after bedding in and burning off the solvents.
So I did Fade 1 and 2 bedding so far. The end of fade 2 the brake fade was REAL BAD. Is this common?
You have to get them hot. Theres a lot of solvent

If you have not smelled them you haven't done the job.
      08-13-2022, 07:08 AM   #83
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok so I think I did the job then as they were strong. But the fade is normal?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 07:40 AM   #84
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I experienced fade on track when first bedding them. It went away after a few high speed braking zones, and then they were good without fade afterwards
      08-13-2022, 11:25 AM   #85
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I experienced fade on track when first bedding them. It went away after a few high speed braking zones, and then they were good without fade afterwards
Did you follow the ebc bedding or just did your own thing
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 03:15 PM   #86
r33_RGSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Hmm, track pad shouldn't fade at all.
I've used Pagid Yellow, Hawk, and iSweep track compound.
Initial bite always good and gets better when hot. I used brake pads that are recommended by my track friends and manufacturers.
EBC wise, I never tried it. Almost, but decided not too after track friend doesn't recommend it.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 05:42 PM   #87
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

I finally burned through my ebc blues after 3 track days and 10k street miles. Not bad, not great. Good street manners though.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 08:45 PM   #88
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by moproblems View Post
I finally burned through my ebc blues after 3 track days and 10k street miles. Not bad, not great. Good street manners though.
What are you going to next?
Appreciate 0