G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums AUSTRALIA

07-13-2021, 09:52 PM   #1
bris_m3
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 xDrive

PPF and/or ceramic coating your Oz M3/M4

I know this question has been covered in the main forums, but just curious as to what people have or are intending to do with their M3/M4 here in Oz.
I have Opti-Coat on my F80 and the wife’s F23 and have been happy with the results, although I am generally pedantic how I wash the cars. Even after 5 years the F80 still looks great, well to an untrained eye that is. However, there are quite a few stone chips on the F80, especially on the bonnet and the rear wheel arches.
I have had one quote so far on ceramic coating a G80, which I will almost certainly do, and they have included options on PPF. But the question in my mind is, is it worth PPF’ing the car, even partially.
Interested to see what others are doing.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 04:06 AM   #2
The Dad
The Dad
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4 G82 Competition

Garage List
I'm definitely going to Cover with PPF. Will do the Ceramic as well. In Sydney so Bats and Birds regular use my car's as targets.😎
My G80 is built and in its way to the port for shipping.
      07-14-2021, 04:53 AM   #3
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Makes a big difference if you get the right product done by the right people.

My wife got her F82 fully done. It just turned 7 years old, and it looks absolutely mint, like the day she drove it home. Amazingly good.

I used to get the film on the front end and wheel guards etc on my rally and circuit racing cars, and definitely made a big difference. Never actually bothered getting them resprayed, whereas most people would be doing that pretty frequently, if they wanted to keep the cars looking great.

Any expensive car I intended keeping more than a couple of years I would definitely do it
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 07:00 AM   #4
yche
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
I'm definitely going to Cover with PPF. Will do the Ceramic as well. In Sydney so Bats and Birds regular use my car's as targets.😎
My G82 at order status Code: (193)Waiting for Ship, now it's 7 days at this status. I guess it means my car is waiting for an allocation of a ship.

How would you do PPF & Ceramic coats together? Ceramic First and then put PPF on top? What is the benefit of Ceramic Coating if PPF is strong enough to protect the paintwork? Thanks in advance for the help!

From my last PPF experience, PPF on G8x may cost around $4k - $4.5k.I haven't got a formal quote yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 07:12 AM   #5
The Dad
The Dad
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yche View Post
Quote:
My G82 at order status Code: (193)Waiting for Ship, now it's 7 days at this status. I guess it means my car is waiting for an allocation of a ship.

How would you do PPF & Ceramic coats together? Ceramic First and then put PPF on top? What is the benefit of Ceramic Coating if PPF is strong enough to protect the paintwork? Thanks in advance for the help!

From my last PPF experience, PPF on G8x may cost around $4k - $4.5k.I haven't got a formal quote yet.
I got a few quotes of around $5-6 K. Problem is I don't know the companies and don't want to leave my car with just anyone 🥺
      07-14-2021, 09:46 PM   #6
bris_m3
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 xDrive

Quote:
The method is to apply PPF and then Ceramic coating on afterwards.
There are various reasons why people do this (plenty of Youtubers) : -
  • Makes PPF easier to clean since PPF is not naturally hydrophobic.
  • Each of these ‘layers’ are sacrificial and thus Ceramic Coating offers that extra protective layer on top of your expensive PPF.
  • Supposedly Ceramic Coating helps making your PPF last longer.
I have been quoted a ‘special discounted price’ of $1500 for a single stage paint correction, Opti-Coat and 3M window tint. There are various options to add onto this for example $2795 for full front PPF. I haven’t asked for a full PPF price yet but suspect it’s going to be in the region of $6K.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 07:10 PM   #7
yche
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I got a few quotes of around $5-6 K. Problem is I don't know the companies and don't want to leave my car with just anyone 🥺
I used to have the same concern as yours. It's important to find a good reputation and capable workshop. The owner of the workshop in which I am planning to do PPF is a friend of mine. I’m alright to leave my car to them.
Appreciate 1
The Dad87.50
      07-20-2021, 07:10 PM   #8
The Dad
The Dad
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I used to have the same concern as yours. It's important to find a good reputation and capable workshop. The owner of the workshop in which I am planning to do PPF is a friend of mine. I’m alright to leave my car to them.
Which one is that?
      07-20-2021, 07:15 PM   #9
yche
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bris_m3 View Post
The method is to apply PPF and then Ceramic coating on afterwards.
There are various reasons why people do this (plenty of Youtubers) : -
  • Makes PPF easier to clean since PPF is not naturally hydrophobic.
  • Each of these ‘layers’ are sacrificial and thus Ceramic Coating offers that extra protective layer on top of your expensive PPF.
  • Supposedly Ceramic Coating helps making your PPF last longer.
I have been quoted a ‘special discounted price’ of $1500 for a single stage paint correction, Opti-Coat and 3M window tint. There are various options to add onto this for example $2795 for full front PPF. I haven’t asked for a full PPF price yet but suspect it’s going to be in the region of $6K.
Thanks for the explanation! I really like the color of my ordered G82 and would like to maintain it well. I now have a basic understanding and will do more research on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 04:15 PM   #10
t_dub
Australia
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i, F87 M2 Comp, E90

Mine goes in next week for a full track pack PPF and ceramic coat @ SD Detailing in Brisbane. Robert is the owner and not only a great bloke but has a passion for what he does.

If you plan to do any drive or track days, PPF is essential.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 07:18 PM   #11
M2see
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C - HS, Manual

I have had 2 PPF installs in the Sydney area in the last 3 years, one was a printed template PPF the other was a hand cut finish, so you probably want to determine what approach you want. If you were considering something other than clear, probably handcut/finished. My pros and cons with both as follows:

Templated - detailer was very busy and it was a production line approach, I did have a concern that I raised post install (slight lifting around parking sensor) and never got a response back. The template cut finishes about 1mm from the edge and any body work cutouts (badge/sensors/handles etc.), and this has a tendency to accumulate dust/dirt along the edge of the PPF. This can be cleaned quite easily with an alcohol/water solution and cotton buds. I have a light car (Hockenheim Silver) so it is not obvious to me so not much of a concern. Other than the minor concern I raised (slight lifting of PPF) I am very happy with the finish and durability of the PPF.

Hand Cut - Detailer was very attentive and provided good aftermarket care, also rectified the issue I mentioned with my template cut around the reversing sensor without any charge, even though it was not his work. The hand cut is wrapped around the surfaces and looks great as you cannot tell at all that there is PPF. However, I have had a few issues with it remaining adhered to the undersides of the surfaces it’s wrapped around, this has usually been rectified by trimming back the lifted PPF so it is closer to the edge where there is good adhesion.

I will definitely get PPF on any future cars which are in the price range of my last 2, it has saved my cars from carpark door scrapes, and my kids enthusiasm when coming to greet me on their bikes or scooters and not quite stopping in time (just washed the marked PPF and hairdried and no scrape to see) which are more frequent occurrences for me than stonechips.

Based on my experience, I would probably go template cut as other than the one minor issue, it has been the more trouble free installation, and as I cannot see the edges unless I am up close washing it, so that is not a concern. I also pressure wash my M2 at least twice a month, and none of these edges have even looked like lifting.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 12:42 AM   #12
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2see View Post
I have had 2 PPF installs in the Sydney area in the last 3 years, one was a printed template PPF the other was a hand cut finish, so you probably want to determine what approach you want. If you were considering something other than clear, probably handcut/finished. My pros and cons with both as follows:

Templated - detailer was very busy and it was a production line approach, I did have a concern that I raised post install (slight lifting around parking sensor) and never got a response back. The template cut finishes about 1mm from the edge and any body work cutouts (badge/sensors/handles etc.), and this has a tendency to accumulate dust/dirt along the edge of the PPF. This can be cleaned quite easily with an alcohol/water solution and cotton buds. I have a light car (Hockenheim Silver) so it is not obvious to me so not much of a concern. Other than the minor concern I raised (slight lifting of PPF) I am very happy with the finish and durability of the PPF.

Hand Cut - Detailer was very attentive and provided good aftermarket care, also rectified the issue I mentioned with my template cut around the reversing sensor without any charge, even though it was not his work. The hand cut is wrapped around the surfaces and looks great as you cannot tell at all that there is PPF. However, I have had a few issues with it remaining adhered to the undersides of the surfaces it’s wrapped around, this has usually been rectified by trimming back the lifted PPF so it is closer to the edge where there is good adhesion.

I will definitely get PPF on any future cars which are in the price range of my last 2, it has saved my cars from carpark door scrapes, and my kids enthusiasm when coming to greet me on their bikes or scooters and not quite stopping in time (just washed the marked PPF and hairdried and no scrape to see) which are more frequent occurrences for me than stonechips.

Based on my experience, I would probably go template cut as other than the one minor issue, it has been the more trouble free installation, and as I cannot see the edges unless I am up close washing it, so that is not a concern. I also pressure wash my M2 at least twice a month, and none of these edges have even looked like lifting.
An alternative is to get the best of both worlds, like in this vid - the shop takes a template and then adds in buffers to allow for the ppf to wrap around the edges. This way you get a seamless finish without anyone taking a blade to your brand new paintwork.

I'll be trying to find an installer that has this kind of passion and attention to detail when I get mine done. I fully expect to pay the thick end of $10k for this kind of perfection though.

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 04:07 AM   #13
The Dad
The Dad
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec540 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2see View Post

An alternative is to get the best of both worlds, like in this vid - the shop takes a template and then adds in buffers to allow for the ppf to wrap around the edges. This way you get a seamless finish without anyone taking a blade to your brand new paintwork.

I'll be trying to find an installer that has this kind of passion and attention to detail when I get mine done. I fully expect to pay the thick end of $10k for this kind of perfection though.

I have booked my car in for an eXpel stealth / gloss install.
All alpine white with Stealth, all black/CF gloss. Full car.
      08-24-2021, 06:16 PM   #14
madone79
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 440 GC

Looking at going with Tint Haus for a PPF front and ceramic all over, they've got a few M3's on there site and they look great

www.tinthaus.com.au/
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 11:08 PM   #15
KiloCo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota// 22 G82 M4 Comp

The Dad said, "Problem is I don't know the companies and don't want to leave my car with just anyone ��"

The Dad, I feel the same about leaving my car with someone I don't even know!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 12:54 AM   #16
Hanibal74
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp xDRive

I'm using Sydney Premium Detailing in Castle Hill. They come highly recommended although I've never used them myself. The owner has a G80 M3 and gave me a discount so I'm happy. I'm dropping the car off the day after I pick it up mid September
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 01:50 AM   #17
The Dad
The Dad
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I am going with Ausdetail as they have an awesome rep and supply the Xpel Stealth PPF / Gyeon Duraflex .

https://www.ausdetail.com.au/
      08-25-2021, 08:36 PM   #18
madone79
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 440 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanibal74 View Post
I'm using Sydney Premium Detailing in Castle Hill. They come highly recommended although I've never used them myself. The owner has a G80 M3 and gave me a discount so I'm happy. I'm dropping the car off the day after I pick it up mid September
Are you going full PPF or partial?
What was the ball park price?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 10:11 PM   #19
Hanibal74
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madone79 View Post

I got the XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS applied to the Full Front of the vehicle's surfaces using computer cut patterns.
- Full Hood
- Full Front Fenders
- Headlights
- Mirrors
- Front Bumper
Kamikaze Film Surface Ceramic coating applied over PPF

Kamikaze ISM 2.0 Ceramic Coating, applied to non ppf surfaces.
Kamikaze Stance Wheel Coating applied to wheel faces Kamikaze Intenso Glass Coating applied to all Glass. Interior protection applied as well.

4K.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 10:17 PM   #20
KiloCo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota// 22 G82 M4 Comp

Hanibal74... all that cost you approx 4K? what about the lower panel of the doors or the rear of the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 10:21 PM   #21
Hanibal74
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloCo View Post
Hanibal74... all that cost you approx 4K? what about the lower panel of the doors or the rear of the car?
I see your from California. In Oz everything is double what you guys pay over there:
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 08:28 AM   #22
The Dad
The Dad
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by madone79 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanibal74 View Post
Going with full body PPF Xpel stealth and Gyeon ceramic coating, I live on the coast with all the shit in the air landing on the car, including sea air. ~$6.5k.
Xpel stealth will give me a similar if not the same look as frozen white, without the hassle of maintaining it.: